GreenThumb J's Perpetual Multi-Strain Journal!

I think there might be some learnin to be done around here. so I going to pull up a chair and load up a pipe and sit back.
another BC grower. Yeah.

GreenThumb J, I was wondering do you recommend any certain type or name brand trimmers for trimming our beautiful cannabis plants? Just kidding those are my favorite ones as well!

:laughtwo::cheesygrinsmiley::rofl:

Thanks for sharing all your awesome information!!!!!

Hi Greenthumb J, grest journal. I was following the capn's stuff before he left and love how you have simplified things. Kind of a dumb question, but if you are mixing up nutrients early veg plants you would just dilute with ro water or the like? Also, if you you the flower recipe and have a 20 gallon Rez (for example) you would just multiply by 5 and top off with ro water accordingly ? Thanks again great stuff!!

I actually dont follow TheCapns recipe.. i actually never did.. i developed my own based on what stage of growth i am in..

What i have found, is its a huge waste of nutrients if you are having to water down what you are feeding your plants.. it means you are mixing it wrong to start. Your nutrient strength shouldn't need adjusting.

I dont like to go over 900ppm in veg.. i do not like to go over 2000ppm in flower lol..

I say this, because this is what i was feeding my plants using the GH 3-part flora series. The highest PPM's i've ever seen or read on this site was going into my reservoirs and my plants were literally just trichomes. I grew a 31g bud using high PPM feedings like this.

I also dont like to increase the strength each week like most feeding schedules suggest. Like GH suggests increasing the PPM each week throughout the grow. i like to keep it at a certain level, for at least a couple weeks then bump it up when the plant requires more.

Heres how i'll feed my plants..

Germination to seedling stage:

By a seedling, i mean past its second set of true leaves.. Cotyledons are not true leaves..

Plants will only receive root drenches with Subculture-M and Subculture-B, alternating each day until they are no longer seedlings, or leaves are begging for some Nitrogen.

Early veg. This is literally for a week or maybe 2

Plants will get a nutrient solution thats around 500ppm and will contain lots of nitrogen and silica.

From here, its all rapid vegetative growth, and plants need a good amount of nutrients.. I will mix my nutrients up to a ppm of around 700-1000 depending on how much feeding the strain can take.. My Dinafem OG Kush can take some seriously high PPM's

I usually do not do a "transition" feeding, as pretty much, if not all good quality fertilizers, contain amouts of phosphorous in their formulas. Although i have done it before.

For the first 1/3 of flower, PPM's are around 800-1000, for the second 1/3 of flower, PPM's are usually around 1100-1400, and for the last few weeks of flower, the PPM's drop to about 700-900, as i stop adding certain things like silica and any nitrogen to my mixture, and focus more on bud ripening. Although i have taken my PPM's to levels where my TDS pen, which has a range of 10-1990ppm, cant even take a reading its so concentrated. Haven't experienced any nutrient burn yet.. but thats all strain dependent.

Once i get my last couple things for my Technaflora line, i will post a full nutrient feeding recipe that i have concocted for this particular brand of Nutrients, as my feeding regiment has actually changed now that i'm not using GH and not having to add so many things to my water, just to achieve the same thing i'm getting from TechnaFlora.

If you use GH products, i can write you up a fantastic formula that i used for my last grows in which i used GH products.

GH has a great line up of things.. but theres some things you dont need to get. Like Rapid Start. You can skip that expensive bottle of overly strong smelling iced tea shit haha..

You could also skip the KoolBlooms, but they increase the size of your buds, as well as help with ripening, and resin production.

Some things I couldn't suggest more.. like their Subcultures.. But if you have access to products like Great White or Recharge, i would go with those, as they are basically both Subcultures in 1 can. I still haven't contacted GH as to why their inoculants are separate like that. Someone will have to remind me lol

I did a DWC bucket change this evening, as one of the OG's has been very thristy, and drank up all the water in the bucket and was severely wilting when i gave her a new bucket of water.. i'm sure it got super concentrated near the end, but there isn't a burned leaf tip to be found on the plant, and just a few hours later, she looked just the same as before.

Sorry guys, no root shots this time.

I will be transplanting all the DWC plants into 27gal totes in probably about a week and putting them into flower, since the plants are now overgrowing my 4x8 tent, and the flower tent will be cleaned out ready for the next round. I'm hoping that the Pink kush going into flower, will take 2 weeks longer than the OG's going into flower, so i'm not stuck harvesting 5 plants at once!!

Future plans for this Journal:

I will be taking clones from only my pink kush plants. Nothing else. I will flower out my OG's i have, and i will grow that strain again in the future as i have 3 feminized beans on my bookshelf currently. I did not keep a clone of my purple pheno unfortunately, as it is some absolutely amazing smoke without even any cure at all.. i cant wait to taste it after a few weeks in the jars!

I also plan to germinate my DinaFem Blue Kush seed i have, as well as my 2 Strawberry Banana from Reserva Privada next week. Hoping for something really good!!

Hey guys....

GreenThumb Pro tip:

Trim off non-frosty parts of your leaves to accumulate as much frosty trim for hash or other concentrates as possible. I know myself i used to tend to snip away larger leaves that dont have loads of frost on them. Well i fixed that to be only throwing away the leaf parts with no visible trichomes on it

Like this..
GEDC1102.JPG

A small branch, but you get the idea!!

I'll have some nice shots of my harvested OG Kush that i just finished trimming posted soon!!

happy growing guys.

Good morning GT, since I plane on starting with GH nutrients would you mind writing down your formula for feeding?

Feeding strength, PH & PPM:

Seed
Seedling
Early veg
Mid veg
Late veg
Early bloom
Mid bloom
Late bloom
Final flush and how long (Hydro)
Any extras you like to use and why

Since you are a master grower I feel your information would help a lot of people to include myself. :cheesygrinsmiley:

I hope it's okay to ask for this much info, thank you GT. :thanks: :adore::smokin:

your killing the ink in my printer:rofl:

I learned after the Capn bolted, I need to print these as I see them.

not a MMJ question and sorry to go off topic------

as a chef greenthumb,can ya give a heads up on a nice carving set?? I do a ton of smoked meat,whole hogs and Ive never been happy with my blade set.I just picked up a ceramic set that works well,any suggestions???

Hey c526, when I started studying over a year ago (before I joined) I would print everything the capn had written and most of his blogs were printed as well....3" thick. I will learn a lot from you two and maybe print another 3" of good info. :rofl: :Namaste: :adore:

Thank you for the info. Unfortunately Im still in the learning and construction phase. I have the lighting, room design, equipment needs, ventilation, growing technique , etc.... figured out for the most part, but am still somewhat lost on the nutrient side of things. Type of nutrients, feeding schedule and nutrient strengths all seem to vary. I guess that's the point though. It takes patience and practice to dial it in correctly. Do you recommend using the technoflora bc brand and your recipe or capn's GH recipe for a beginner like me? Thanks again

Hey GT;

I have a couple kinda crappy questions if you have some time!

1. With products like KoolBloom, Bud Ignitor, BigBud or OverDrive they tell you to use for weeks 2-4 of flowering... How can I tell when to switch from a product like BigBud and move onto OverDrive if it's a 12 week strain..... (I don't have a 12 week strain on the go, but have just been wondering this question when I'm out smoking a J)

2. When seed companies advertise that a strain is finished flowering in 65days, is that advertising the approximate date that you should be able to actually chop the plant down? Or is that the approximate date that you should start flushing on?

3. What are "your" top 5 signs that it's time to start flushing?

Thanks bro!

its close but every plant will differ a bit theres too much variables
but the breeders timeline should be close
best to check trichomes to determine when you want to flush as everyone has their preferences

Take your time GT... Internet comes in a distant second to real life. I'm also wondering how your New Years Day seedling is doing. I forget what strain that was.

Blueberry headband!

Shes doing great actually.. got tipped not too long ago and is looking nice.. will be transplanted into a 1gal container tomorrow!
I'll snap a pic shortly!

Good day GTJ, question for you Sir.

When doing "Capn Style" with your 5 gal container sitting on the reservoir how do you change the tote so you can clean it?

Or is it okay for the 2-3 months during bloom not to change out the tote, just the nutrients?

When doing "Capn Style" with your 5 gal container sitting on the reservoir how do you change the tote so you can clean it?

Or is it okay for the 2-3 months during bloom not to change out the tote, just the nutrients?

Most city water has a fair amount of chlorine in it which is a great mild solvent that easily breaks apart the film on the res sides and bottom, especially when you get your hand in there and work the tap water around, then drain the crap and fill it back up. As far as I know, the only purpose to swap out the res weekly is to replenish unknown spent nutes. Having some left over IMO, wouldn't alter the recipe enough to effect a major change in plant health or loss of performance, especially if all or most other aspects of the grow environment are near ideal.

That aside, I personally would like to clean the tanks thoroughly each week so I am giving a lot of thought of a means to keep the pots elevated off the res so the 2 can be easily separated and each res swapped out. What I have now was only ever going to be a temporary fix till I get something more permanent and functional in place. The top feed system is good, but it can definitely get better.

Back
Top Bottom