Growing with HPS

do they ever. i only got about half the lifetime out of my bulbs in the digital ballasts.

my old magnetics are still in operation. gave them out to a couple growers needing a hand. the oldest were bought in the early 80's.

a long time ago the police would look for radio interference as an indicator. they needed more than just that for a warrant, but it was one method of honing in on a grow.

i'm fairly certain it hasn't been done in a while, and both newer led drivers and digital ballasts are shielded now like you mention.
Yep ,they certainly did look for radio interference as an indicator .
And yep magnetics get you more outta a bulb .

i did for a few grows. you can run mh in flower too if you have to.
If it werent for the heat, id probably run a 400 mh and 600 hps. Ive had killer results with both at the same time. Hard to beat the led's though.

You can run full cycle hps.

I seemed to end up with better yields when I did. Plants might have looked a little stretched (in comparison) at the end of the growth phase, but they filled in nicely, so NBD.

Best HID lighting for everything I've used probably hasn't even been sold for years. Name was something like Osram-Sylvania Son Agro (Argo?) Planta T. They were "additional wattage" bulbs, and were driven by higher than standard wattage C&C HPS ballasts. If I had to guess, I'd guess that something like a Lumatek running on its "Super Lumen" wattage setting would probably have worked, although I wouldn't have been willing to bet on the bulbs lasting all that long (and there might have been some kind of acoustic resonance, IDK). The "extra" wattage powered some kind of blue spectrum bump. They were cool, because when the lights powered up, the bluish tint came on first... then, several seconds later, you'd get hit with all the traditional HPS color lighting from the bulbs. I got great density and weight. And mostly dropped "metal halide" from my vocabulary. Bulbs weren't cheap - but neither was bud.

If it werent for the heat, id probably run a 400 mh and 600 hps. Ive had killer results with both at the same time. Hard to beat the led's though.

Perhaps somewhat ironically, I'm missing my HIDs - for the same reason. I'm contemplating a small personal grow. 400-watt LED panel. Yay. The power supply is mounted on the unit, and there's no "extra" wire to easily separate the two components. So I'm looking at either buying wire and doing some cutting and splicing, or being forced to move way more air than the plants actually need for respiration. Hot, stinky, humid air. Even if I do remote the power supply, I'm still looking at... ~1,364.9 BTU per hour of heat in the grow space.

HID equivalent? 10' cord between ballast and socket, power supply is way the **** out of the grow space. Air-cooled fixture - air comes in, hot air goes out. Hot, DRY air. That smells like... air :rolleyes: , so no filter required and dump it wherever you want. No filter means you can basically use "any old fan" instead of a more expensive squirrel cage type, because you're not fighting a restriction; cheaper to buy, cheaper to run. Grow space is much cooler. Therefore, plants only transpire a fraction of the water. They still need some gas exchange, of course. But you're moving less air, so you can use a lower capacity fan (still a quality unit, but "smaller" is cheaper). You're moving less air, slower - so you can use a smaller carbon filter. Which both lasts longer and functions more efficiently, because... less gross airflow, the air spends more time passing through/across the filter media, the air is significantly less humid, and it's not hot. Depending on a number of factors, the gardener might not even have to constantly vent the actual grow space - making CO₂ supplementation a much more feasible option.

I also don't know how someone would be able to do a "Heath Robinson" style grow with LED, either, come to think of it, due to the design of LED panels and the nature of their light production (IOW, not in a 360 degree pattern).

I got 56 0z off this tree and only used the equivalent of 900w.

And here is my Chiesel which had the usual 1500w of light and weighed in at 76 0z

I seemed to end up with better yields when I did. Plants might have looked a little stretched (in comparison) at the end of the growth phase, but they filled in nicely, so NBD.

Best HID lighting for everything I've used probably hasn't even been sold for years. Name was something like Osram-Sylvania Son Agro (Argo?) Planta T. They were "additional wattage" bulbs, and were driven by higher than standard wattage C&C HPS ballasts. If I had to guess, I'd guess that something like a Lumatek running on its "Super Lumen" wattage setting would probably have worked, although I wouldn't have been willing to bet on the bulbs lasting all that long (and there might have been some kind of acoustic resonance, IDK). The "extra" wattage powered some kind of blue spectrum bump. They were cool, because when the lights powered up, the bluish tint came on first... then, several seconds later, you'd get hit with all the traditional HPS color lighting from the bulbs. I got great density and weight. And mostly dropped "metal halide" from my vocabulary. Bulbs weren't cheap - but neither was bud.

Perhaps somewhat ironically, I'm missing my HIDs - for the same reason. I'm contemplating a small personal grow. 400-watt LED panel. Yay. The power supply is mounted on the unit, and there's no "extra" wire to easily separate the two components. So I'm looking at either buying wire and doing some cutting and splicing, or being forced to move way more air than the plants actually need for respiration. Hot, stinky, humid air. Even if I do remote the power supply, I'm still looking at... ~1,364.9 BTU per hour of heat in the grow space.

HID equivalent? 10' cord between ballast and socket, power supply is way the **** out of the grow space. Air-cooled fixture - air comes in, hot air goes out. Hot, DRY air. That smells like... air :rolleyes: , so no filter required and dump it wherever you want. No filter means you can basically use "any old fan" instead of a more expensive squirrel cage type, because you're not fighting a restriction; cheaper to buy, cheaper to run. Grow space is much cooler. Therefore, plants only transpire a fraction of the water. They still need some gas exchange, of course. But you're moving less air, so you can use a lower capacity fan (still a quality unit, but "smaller" is cheaper). You're moving less air, slower - so you can use a smaller carbon filter. Which both lasts longer and functions more efficiently, because... less gross airflow, the air spends more time passing through/across the filter media, the air is significantly less humid, and it's not hot. Depending on a number of factors, the gardener might not even have to constantly vent the actual grow space - making CO₂ supplementation a much more feasible option.

I also don't know how someone would be able to do a "Heath Robinson" style grow with LED, either, come to think of it, due to the design of LED panels and the nature of their light production (IOW, not in a 360 degree pattern).

Spot on , Vert growers basically have to use hps .

Best way to grow IMO.

a long time ago the police would look for radio interference as an indicator. they needed more than just that for a warrant, but it was one method of honing in on a grow.

i'm fairly certain it hasn't been done in a while, and both newer led drivers and digital ballasts are shielded now like you mention.

I forgot to address this in my previous post. I wouldn't count on the RF shielding of cheaply manufactured (which describes nearly all of them) Chinese electronics and electrical devices being... robust and effective. I used to have a pretty good scanner that, with the exception of a few small gaps in the cell phone bands and part of one military band, had continuous coverage from 25 mHz to 1.3 gHz. It had a function to scan for new active frequencies, just set the lower and upper frequency limits and the step size, and hit the start button. It seemed like nearly everything produced birdies - usually quite a few - and I expect that things are even worse now. OtOH, an overabundance of RF pollution probably makes for pretty good camouflage. Picking one signal out of an entire neighborhood's worth and then triangulating it seems like it would be a RPitA. Technically possible - but not something a lone LEO is going to be able to do whilst out on patrol, lol.

Technically, someone could determine which specific birdies a certain device produced, and search for instances of the entire group being present in the same location. But... noise. It's difficult to hear what five people are saying... when there are 10,000 talking. It'd be different if someone had the only house within 25 miles, but still difficult because they wouldn't be operating just a single piece of lighting equipment, or even just a grow (generally).

Too much noise. This stuff isn't like some clown operating a CB with a 1,500-watt linear amplifier. Those things could turn stuff that didn't even have speakers into receivers :rofl: .

Sorry guys been away, had some family troubles but the loft continued and gained some family memembers! I've now got a Auto critical kush (Barney's farm), blueberry (photo from Barney's farm), Orange punch x mimosa (Photos Barney's farm), Lemon amnesia (Photos Barney's farm) & x6 original cheese cuttings (Photoperiod Barney's farm).. and a sticky sherbet photoperiod from seed given too me.

The Auto CK was topped just over a week ago and got transplanted last week into a 35l pot of light mix biobizz, and using a tblspoon of mykos on the roots and in the new soil and I have to say first time I've used mykos and wow! Think il be using this on every plant!

The smaller plant in the 35l pot is the BB transplanted yesterday...

Thinking I will be putting one of my hps lights on in the next couple of days... and il turn on the other intake and oscillating fan.

20230604_190533.jpg

20230604_190553.jpg

20230604_202405.jpg

20230531_180137.jpg

IMG-20230605-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20230605-WA0009.jpg

I know this is a very very cheap basic beginners run but I work with what I've got 😅.. I am lining the floor and rest of the wall this week and I do know the Sticky sherbert in the orange pot needs transplanting but I am thinking if throwing her as my uncle gave it to me an I just have a feeling she needs the axe. Gut feeling so she's getting slapped tomorrow when I'm there.. my cuttings do have the tray I just hadn't covered it at that point as I was balancing the water and giving them a spray before covering and saying my good byes til the next time 😅

I know this is a very very cheap basic beginners run but I work with what I've got 😅.. I am lining the floor and rest of the wall this week and I do know the Sticky sherbert in the orange pot needs transplanting but I am thinking if throwing her as my uncle gave it to me an I just have a feeling she needs the axe. Gut feeling so she's getting slapped tomorrow when I'm there.. my cuttings do have the tray I just hadn't covered it at that point as I was balancing the water and giving them a spray before covering and saying my good byes til the next time 😅
Shit man, gotta do what ya can with what ya got. Ive got a couple grand worth of lights,tents etc....but am limited to just a few things cause of my situation. Even got some of those windshield reflectors from the dollar store. Fan is hanging by chains cause I cant find my ratchet hangers.....whatever works man. Sometimes thats the funnest part of growing for me. Gotta be able to grow in 3rd world conditions!

Thinking I will be putting one of my hps lights on in the next couple of days.

That'll make the pictures easier to look at :thumb:.

Has anyone used mykos before?

not personally for a while since i'm currently in hempy but a bunch of folk do. it's good. i recommend.

Has anyone used mykos before?
Yes, I have and still will. I bought a bag and used it on last up pot to 1 gallon. I just did one of those up to a much larger pot and was amazed at the roots, they were great I could not get pictures because I was alone and needed a third hand. But I was satisfied. May have used Mycos but could not wait. Shed did a comparison and Mycos had more of the needed ingredients.

Thanks for all the advice, thought I'd give a little update 😁... you Critical Kush auto is taking off! The blueberry is gaining colour on the new sights after a good feed and some cal mag, im currently using the emerald harvest 2 part ...I got it given the blueberry off my uncle as he didn't have the space.. also it needed a little tlc which I am starting to see the benefits... I am waiting for clay pebbles to arrive too top the soil and then going to hang the hps next week alongside the LED what you guys think?? And I will be making sure I don't burn them when adding the hps

I’d go LED if possible. Hit your local marketplace and you should be able to grab one or a few for around 25-30% of what you’d pay new. If the LED’s are Samsung, you’re in like flint. A robust heat sink and you’ll ever look back, but it doesn’t end there. You’ll knock the btu requirements for your room literally in half. Most LED lights now are around 3000-3500k, and many now have the 660 nm reds. If the light has a Meanwell driver, it’s as good in the business as anyone else. And face it, LED’s have came a long way since those blurples, and don’t let anyone kid you. You can grow big, fat buds with LED.
IMG_0800.png

Back
Top Bottom