HD's Soil 1200w Sour Diesel CloneFest - 2nd indoor

First, I have to say I have read a lot of your journal and you have learned a TON in the last 8 months!! But glad I could maybe add to that.
Thanks for the +reps, alwys appreciated!
Not a big deal, but I maybe didn't explain the breaking up of the roots and soil of the transplantee well enough (it was hella late and I was hella stoned :smokin: ). The goal there was NOT to remove the soil from the roots but to just lightly break it open from the bottom, pulling each of the 4 corners away from the center. Some soil will fall off, but that isn't the primary intent, and no shaking is neccessary. But as long as you were gentle, it should be great. Let me know if you saw any wilting or other "slow downs" post transplant. I am guessing it should be fine, the main thing really was to keep the water/moisture to a minimum except for in the ring just around and under the root edges that are now exposed, and the slightly less moist soil around that. The only times I have seen wilting post transplant is when there was either too wet of soil around the roots, or too heavy a watering after the plant is repotted.
For the lime and green sand I have a good local Fert and Feed shop that carries some cool stuff at a good price (they even have FF nutes for cheeper than anywhere I can find on the web, love those guys). I suggest going to a non-MMJ oriented garden supply store (even Ace Hardware) since the prices are always lower, look for a nice local supply store that sells a lot of orchids and other tropicals, and ask what they have as far as lime soil ammendments. Most common is Dolemitic Lime (Dolemite), it can be pelletized for a little slower release or powderized. I go for the powderized so it processes quicker, then if that pot of soil doesn't go through a whole to-harvest run I feel better about there not still being a ton left in the soil and retreat (after having flushed to soil well) with a normal dose. And just ask around for the green sand, like I said, the shops that more specialize in orchids and other nice tropicals should have it. Or just try a web search, you can order online. Gypsum is another good soil ammendment/conditioner, but the pro mix has that in it, so at least for the first few uses of the soil I never add that.
Anyways, hope that helps buddy. Have a great day!
HD

Thanks HD I know just the place to look for both items, a little flower place in Kanehoe. Man, I assume everybody on 420 is stoned most of the time, so no worries. I know I am. :cheesygrinsmiley: C U

Excellent tutorial HD, I'm out of Reps for ya right now so I'll get later as this post deserves them. You could and should make that a 'blog'. I don't know how to do that but maybe OMM knows.
:reading420magazine::bravo:
Thanks man! Yeah, I don't know about how to do a blog, maybe down the road I'll get into it.

just out of curiosity what size are those pots?
Those are 3 gal, I have some 4 gal too, but they are more than 4" taller than the 3, and my veg chamber is only 3' tall, so I went with the 3 gal to give as much room as possible to grow out as many clone-able tops as possible

Howzit! This looks like the beginning of a great grow!

I learned something with your soil recycling lesson. Good to know I can do that in a pinch.

Can't wait to see your next updates. Hopefully I can learn some more.

ALOHAZ

Aloha Braddah, you on the mainland or out here? Thanks for the +rep and compliments. I am still learning myself as I have just started with the indoor trip (long time outdoor grower). This is actually my first go at cloning too, so please note that anything related to cloning specifically is far from my expertise. That being said, I am a good study, and this is a great place to learn, so I do hope to find, learn, and reproduce the most simple and best way(s) to clone. I still have a couple weeks to figure out what method/environment/etc I think is the best, so if anyone has suggestions they want to share that would be great!! Just remember I am looking for SIMPLE and best....lol!

Thanks HD Man, I assume everybody on 420 is stoned most of the time, so no worries. I know I am. :cheesygrinsmiley: C U

isn't it great!! :slide::roorrip:

So today was 2 days since I transplanted and they looked good, a little visible growth-
rsz_girls4_001.jpg

the soil on the surface of their pots was dry but there was still good weight to the pot (decent amount of moisture in the soil, but should be just getting dryish around the roots), so I gave them just a little of the left over 2/3 strength grow big that I saved in the fridge. I gave them probably just under 2 cups each, and just dribbled it around the edges of where the roots would be.
Soon they should be established enough that I can start training them a bit more, that'll be fun ;)
OK, :peace: and Aloha,
HD

HD what's happnin man,

Thanks for stoppin by my thread the other day. It'll be good to have some experienced growers hanging around to help with the eventual noob problems I will have. I really dig your setup really pro looking stuff man. I also really liked your thoughts on soil reconditioning as well. This will come in handy for me as I plan on growing in 5 gallon containers. Subscribed and +rep if I can.

HD what's happnin man,

Thanks for stoppin by my thread the other day. It'll be good to have some experienced growers hanging around to help with the eventual noob problems I will have. I really dig your setup really pro looking stuff man. I also really liked your thoughts on soil reconditioning as well. This will come in handy for me as I plan on growing in 5 gallon containers. Subscribed and +rep if I can.

Aloha CK and thanks for checkin my set up out. I am totally new to the indoor grow stuff, so in a lot of ways I feel like a noobie too. Its a bit different than the outdoor trip for sure, but I have been studying on here for a while getting ready for all this, as it looks like you have too. Hopefully we can both help each other out along the way.
:peace: and Aloha

So I'm trying out a new way to train (LST) my plants, I guess its new to me, not new to the gardening world. I liked the idea of using this method for a number of reasons, #1 was you can bend a stock without pulling/putting stress on the stock base/roots. I could do that with clips/stakes and string, but I would have to tie once to hold the stock in place, then pull the stock down and tie it off. Not a big deal, one extra step, but it also leaves spans of taunt string in my way every time I try to manuver around the plants to water or groom (I know cause thats what I got going on in my other grow). Another cool thing is that I can put multiple bends or re-bend super easy. Anyways, its something that I am playing with and liking so far. I decided to try it out on these girls since I just transplanted them 3 days ago and really dont want to be tugging on the new roots just spreading out, but I was anxious to start training them right away so I could still take advantage of as many of the lowest branches as possible, and was able to bring the tops almost down to the same level as the 1st node branches this way.

So here is one with the wire training, the white wire is the one I did today (red was same day as transplant)-
rsz_girls5_002.jpg

notice the nice ring of moist soil around the stock still from yesterdays watering of just 2c, this should be getting those roots moving outward

close up of the wire bend-
rsz_girls5_002c.jpg

and all three-
rsz_girls5_001.jpg

it takes a little finesse to get it on there, but once it is it seems great. I used a bamboo stake to pre-wrap the spirals into the wire, making the spirals opposing to each other (it helps, trust me, I could explain but I'm too stoned to want to right now... :smokin: ) with a straight section between. Hold the bottom of the wire at the bottom of the stock (or where ever you want the bend) and twirl the stock into the bottom spiral. When you hit the straight part of the wire, grab that and now twirl the stock the other way into the top spiral. Once its in there should be play to slide it up and down a litlle on the stock and make sure its sitting where you want, then you just hold a low point on the wire (needlenose pliers help) and bend above that, pushing on the wire instead of the stock. I was able to make 3 different turns on one plant at one time doing this. So yeah, thats the thing I am stoked on today, something new for me to play with.
:peace: and Pakaloha,
HD

Quick update, I meant to post this last night but couldn't keep my eyes open, so I am getting to it this morn instead. The clones took the training very well and I figured I would get a shot of them, this is 1 day after training, 5 days after transplant.

rsz_clones.jpg

The pots felt medium weight with water on a lift test, but by tilting the pot some I could feel the bottom was holding all the moisture and the top was pretty dry. I decided to give them just a little plain water to make sure they make it thru one more day, so they got <1c each and this time right around the stock to make sure they use it up as quick as possible because I was panning on today being a more thorough nute watering. But yeah, I think they are looking good so far, and today they get their nutes, then more training in a few days or so, more nutes, etc. Fun, fun! I am really playing with the idea of using just two of them as mothers for clones, and the other one bush out then throw it in the flower room after I harvest a few that are in there and there is space. That would give me one sour d to get used to, get a feel for, and it kind of takes advantage of the fact that I will be harvesting my grow currently in flower over a period of at least 3 weeks, so 1 fairly bushy sour d could get in there and take advantage of the 3 weeks and hopefully finish it up before it interferes with the big batch of clones. Make sence? Morning bong and morning coffee are still mixing in my noggin, so I may be a little jumbled right now, but hopefully that makes sence. And I think I will be able to get over 20 clones from 2 mothers with good training, and I guess I could sneak one or two off the one I would put into flower if I needed....there I go again rambling thinking out loud in writing. Anyways, yeah, still playing around with the plan a bit, so we'll see.
:peacetwo: and Aloha
HD

Hi there Buddy!! You running any CO2?

Aloha GT! Thanks for checkin out my grow. No CO2 for now. I am playing with the idea of setting up a DIY 5gal bucket for CO2 production, but I want to do a run without first, or actually two runs (finishing up a group in flower now, then run this group of clones thru, then maybe the CO2 on the next). Basically I want to have a good clean point from which to deviate from. Then any enhancements I use down the line I will know better what/how much effect anything I add has, and if I have any problems I can track it down easy. Doing a run of clones without then another with should give me a good idea of how much its gonna do.
Its my understanding that in order to take real advantage of increased CO2 you need higher temps and more light than normal (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here), so it wouldn't be as simple as just giving more gas. If I was to run a third 600w for my 4x7 flower area I would likely get both the raised temps and more light, but I wonder if I would get half again as much in yield? If not I would do better to increase the flower area by half again for the extra light and then I would definately get half again as much. So I guess I am still playing with how to best incorporate it into a grow for max benefit.
Again, thanks for stopping by and taking some interest. I am VERY interested in the CO2, just not there yet I guess. The indoor thing is very new to me, so one thing at a time I guess.
:peace: and Aloha,
HD

Hey HD just checked through your journal's and gotta say great job man lookin nice oh and plus reps I'm subrscribed

TY Bro! Glad to have you on board! I used to live in CO way way WAY back when I was a kid. Might actually be headed that way this summer, trying to get a motorcycle trip together, take the ride thru the mountains then back to the west coast. Love the CO mountains!! And I miss road trips, you drive for 3 hours here and you are back home no matter which way you drive....lol! Anyways, again thanks for checkin out my grow, thanks for the reps, and I'll definately be over to check out your grows, esp. since I see you were running Sour D's!
:peace: and aloha
HD

Nice HD yeah I'm in denver right now and grew up in the mtns drive anywere in CO three Hours and you'll have different scenery and weather haha but do it up man a motorcycle trip up here would be amazing I'm sure Oh and my new grow is half sour D half original flo i love the diesel haha

HD!

Aloha Braddah, you on the mainland or out here? Thanks for the +rep and compliments. I am still learning myself as I have just started with the indoor trip (long time outdoor grower). This is actually my first go at cloning too, so please note that anything related to cloning specifically is far from my expertise. That being said, I am a good study, and this is a great place to learn, so I do hope to find, learn, and reproduce the most simple and best way(s) to clone. I still have a couple weeks to figure out what method/environment/etc I think is the best, so if anyone has suggestions they want to share that would be great!! Just remember I am looking for SIMPLE and best....lol!

Nah, I'm living on the mainland side now...up in Washington. I love the seasons up here...but I really miss warm water, wearing my baggies all day, and the hour surf sessions with the boyz! ha!

ps. - I like your creativity with the lst. It definitely looks to allow more access under the plant rather than using string. I might have to give that method a try on my current grow!

Alohaz

Looking good there HD! :thumb:

As long as you have good air flow through your grow room CO2 isn't going to do much unless you want to go with lots more light and higher temps. More hassle than it's worth in your situation IMHO.

One thing CO2 is supposed to be good for is getting rid of bugs. Seal off the room and flood with CO2 every three days to kill off the adult mites or whatever is threatening your darlings. I'm going to try that for sure if I get an infestation again. No sprays or noxious chemicals to contend with! I'm fitting my room(s) with HEPA filtration soon to help prevent bugs from getting in there this summer.

Can't rep you yet but soon!

C'ya

:peace:

Nice HD yeah I'm in denver right now and grew up in the mtns drive anywere in CO three Hours and you'll have different scenery and weather haha but do it up man a motorcycle trip up here would be amazing I'm sure Oh and my new grow is half sour D half original flo i love the diesel haha

Have you been to the Wyncoop (sp?, sounds like wine-coop) Brewery? Is it still there? I met an apprentice brewer from there in Alaska when I was working up there one summer, so I started going to that brewery/pub when I would hit Denver for a visit. Great beer!!
I have done a couple cross country motorcycle trips in the past, including coming over Vail Pass one time. It was mid-June so I thought I'd be alright, but as I got up towards the top there was still snow all over, and pretty soon I was frozen!! Definately didn't have the right clothes (or most important, no gloves! couldn't feel my hands...lol) so I had to stop and buy some gloves and a sweatshirt just to make it the 20 mile or so till it got warmer again. But so beautiful thru there, and definately fun on a bike!! Hoping to get a Buell for this trip, then ship it back to Hawaii when I'm done.
Ya, I'm checking out your sour flo journal currently, I'll post and subsc. soon.
Aloha
HD

HD!

Nah, I'm living on the mainland side now...up in Washington. I love the seasons up here...but I really miss warm water, wearing my baggies all day, and the hour surf sessions with the boyz! ha!

ps. - I like your creativity with the lst. It definitely looks to allow more access under the plant rather than using string. I might have to give that method a try on my current grow!

Alohaz

Right on, Washington is beautiful for sure. Couple years ago I spent a couple weeks in Seattle for training, loved the scenery! Little cold for me for sure, and rainy, but being from Hawaii I fully understand that lots of rain = beautiful rainforest!! I think we actually get more rain than Washington in my town, I think we average around 180" a year.

yeah, I'm really digging on the wire lst, had fun with one plant for about an hour yesterday (not these clones, but one I have in the flower room now thats about 3.5' and super branchy). LST is new to me as it was never really needed outdoors, so its really fun to get to play around with the shape of the plants. In my flower room I have a few different groups as a loose experiment. Out of the 14 main plants (there's one runt, she doesn't count....sshhh, don't tell her ;) ) there are 3 that received no training and no topping, 2 that got training but no topping, 1 that got topping and almost no training, and the rest topped and trained (some more than others). After harvest I can get a rough comparison on the yields and see what works best with my set-up. I guess it will vary by strain too, which is part of the reason I think I will take one of these 3 sour d clones and put it into flower to get a feel for it while I use the other 2 for mothers for the big sour d clone run.
Mahalos for staying tuned and have a wonderful stoney day (to everyone!!).
:peace: and Aloha
HD

Looking good there HD! :thumb:

As long as you have good air flow through your grow room CO2 isn't going to do much unless you want to go with lots more light and higher temps. More hassle than it's worth in your situation IMHO.

One thing CO2 is supposed to be good for is getting rid of bugs. Seal off the room and flood with CO2 every three days to kill off the adult mites or whatever is threatening your darlings. I'm going to try that for sure if I get an infestation again. No sprays or noxious chemicals to contend with! I'm fitting my room(s) with HEPA filtration soon to help prevent bugs from getting in there this summer.

Can't rep you yet but soon!

C'ya

Yeah, thats what I was thinking too with the CO2. Good to know about using as a bug treatment, my room should be sealed enough to do that if I need to and a friend that is no longer running his own keg/tap offered me his CO2 tank if I ever wanted it, so that might be handy. Yeah, not a big fan of chemicals at all! As of now no bugs have made it into the room, it is sealed with filters on both sides, but you never know, so thanks!!
HD
P.S. thought counts on the rep, mahalos!

Back
Top Bottom