Help, do I need to spend lots of money on a fridge just to store seeds I don't use?

HappySrirachaSauce

Has anyone been here? I have lots of extra seeds but don't want to put them in the kitchen fridge as the temps shift when the door is opened. Mini fridges that don't need to be opened and defrosted occasionally are upwards of $200, I would be fine with that if I could leave the house and work... I don't want to spend unnecessary money with nothing is coming in cause of covid.
Someone has to of found a less expensive long term storage method...

I'd only freeze seeds if I planned to keep then for 10+ years.

I just keep my seeds in a tiny ziplock bag, or in a cardboard box in a dark, cool place. I may even use some raw rice mixed in, just as a precaution of moisture.

Just toss the seeds, and some raw rice into "dime" ziplock bags and store in a cool, dark non moist environment.

I just keep my seeds in a tiny ziplock bag, or in a cardboard box in a dark, cool place. I may even use some raw rice mixed in, just as a precaution of moisture.

Just toss the seeds, and some raw rice into "dime" ziplock bags and store in a cool, dark non moist environment.
I assume from your handle you're a CAD designer? Me too!

I have mine in a sealed quart jar in the fridge, with a couple of desiccant packs in there to keep out the moisture. I have seeds in there over 10 years old that still sprout like they were formed yesterday.

even with opening and closing the fridge each day, the fluctuations have not been detrimental and kept seeds from germinating?

Unless you're leaving the fridge door open to cool your living area, the 2-5 degree fluctuation from normal opening/closing won't affect properly stored seeds one iota. I reckon you could contact your seed bank for non-stoner storage methods.

The rice idea is GREAT! Easy way to keep the moisture down, super low cost, and quite efficient!

I have mine in a sealed quart jar in the fridge, with a couple of desiccant packs in there to keep out the moisture. I have seeds in there over 10 years old that still sprout like they were formed yesterday.

This too. Rice, desiccant pack, whatever works. But I agree that the minimal change from opening/closing the fridge isn't going to do anything.

I’ve kept my seeds in the freezer for the last six years or so. Several thousand fit in a medium-size tupperware container. I open and close the container whenever/however I want with no issues.

I just started acquiring seeds and was wondering the same thing. I was going to use a small box and keep them in the back of a fridge drawer to minimize temperature fluctuations. Even with everyday use, it is unlikely the temps would change that much.

It’s my impression that temperature fluctuations don’t bother them at all.
Edit- I could be wrong about this but my seeds all seem fine after years of in and out of the freezer

Seeds are inactive- in long term cryogenic sleep and get awakened when conditions are right - temps combined w humidity.
What does seem to happen though is they can harden slowly over time if kept in exposed dry conditions. The shell gets harder and harder and less likely to crack open properly when germinated.

Based on my knowledge of other seed types (veggies and fruits), the basic long term storage is dark and dry*ish. A low RH like that in a fridge is a good long term location. It is more of a contant than what can be found in other places in a home. It also depends on where you live. I live by the coast so my basic RH is higher than other places. I would rather not risk it and keep them somewhere that is monitored by a built-in thermostat and hydrometer (refrigerator).

Back
Top Bottom