Hempy Headquarters

I harvested my GSC hempy last night. It was on the early side, but I needed the room in my tent.
20180922-untitled-18.jpg

20180922-untitled-17.jpg

Is there a perfect PH level for growing in hempy? How much lower do I need to bring that number?

I (and, I'd guess, many people who do the hydroponic thing) aim for 5.8, but I'll often try to overshoot it very slightly and let it drift very slightly past that target in the other direction before doing anything to change it.

I suspect that the level of DO in the solution might have a tiny bit of an effect on the "best pH" for any given reservoir/plant. But I don't really have much basis for my suspicion (in other words, it's just a hunch).

And at a PH of 6.30 would that be high enough that the plants in hempy could not uptake the Cal/Mag?

There are approximately 4.5 bazillion (lol) charts showing nutrient availability versus pH for both soil and hydroponic grows posted on the Internet. Just do a general web-search for one, or even a search of this forum. They don't all completely agree, so pick three and discard the one that doesn't, lol.

Some nutrients are "funny" - you'll notice that their availability to the plants increases with pH, then decreases - then increases again. And some are at least slightly more available at what we'd consider "out of optimum range." The numbers we shoot for are really just a compromise; the pH at which all nutrients are available enough (since the individual elements don't share the same "best" pH numbers).

Sad I freaked out and gave away some plants

If the plants are still alive and not extremely late in flowering, you should be able to ask for - and receive - a few cuttings back, since you are the person that gifted them in the first place.

For a lot of us, it's probably not a bad idea to know just how long it takes us to do the "emergency sterilization" (...of evidence) routine, lol. Like, if it took you an hour of panicked rushing around to turn your grow into a "not-grow," then you'll probably feel a little safer than if it took you all day. Especially if you live in a "not fully legal" location, have one of those critters known as a landlord (or landlady), et cetera.

Has anyone who used to check pH stopped doing so and been ok?

I went without a pH meter for a while. You might remember my bawling about it, lol? But my water's pH is above 8.0, and there's some variance.

Also, he had a neat idea for his big hempy basins. Check this out:

He drains his overflow through those tubes and collects it in the removable tray so he can monitor the volume and adjust accordingly.

Seems to me that, if one is using an inert medium to grow in, that there's not a whole lot of use in tracking the runoff pH. For one, you're getting a mixture of the fresh nutrient solution you've just poured in and the remnants of what you last fed the plants. You don't really know which specific elements have been consumed by observing a pH shift (although it can help, if you are also proficient at reading your plants, have grown and/or read enough to know what to expect in general, have some experience (and/or more reading) with your specific strains, and have common sense). I suppose it might tell you if you have a runaway "bad microbe" issue going on, lol. But so can your eyes - and your nose - especially with the "hempy method" (generally small reservoirs with their inherent need to both interact with the plants and refill the reservoirs often).

Keep in mind that much of my posts reflect my opinions...

Cannabis grows happier in a community pot, in my experience. I may explore this once I get moved. I could grow both plants in the tent in this singular pot, and I may get bigger plants

On the other hand... Ever see the runt of the litter after it has grown up, lol? It's often undersized because its siblings took the majority of the food.

Choose a plant that likes to take the entire tent and give it a massive space to suck up food from. :hmmmm:

Your subconscious is screaming for the opportunity to do a single-plant DWC grow in a sizable (over 10 gallons, 20-25 gallons if you can stand to go with a lengthier vegetative-growth period) reservoir. I can hear it :rofl:. And, if you ever do, remember ~TS~ words of wisdom(?): "If you tie a brick to a mouse's leg and chuck it into your reservoir, and return an hour later and the mouse isn't still thrashing around, you should add more dissolved oxygen to your reservoir." Okay, not really - that'd contaminate your reservoir, and I'm not into that whole "organics" thing, lol. But that's the secret to DWC - and to making a plant thrive in one when the temperatures get horrible. . . .

EDIT: HtH did I end up on August's posts?!

If the plants are still alive and not extremely late in flowering, you should be able to ask for - and receive - a few cuttings back, since you are the person that gifted them in the first place.

For a lot of us, it's probably not a bad idea to know just how long it takes us to do the "emergency sterilization" (...of evidence) routine, lol. Like, if it took you an hour of panicked rushing around to turn your grow into a "not-grow," then you'll probably feel a little safer than if it took you all day. Especially if you live in a "not fully legal" location, have one of those critters known as a landlord (or landlady), et cetera.
Oh yes, landlord is the problem. I have things under control for now and have a babysitter for all of my plants available on short notice...

As far as those plants being given away.... they threw away the only plants I cared about because they got too tall???!!!!!

They kept two bag seed hempys. Then they heavily defoliated through the stretch, stunted them, and then texted asking when they would be finished along with a photo of two scrawny a** indicas..

My simple instructions to get them through their first grow were simple. Water once/day with half tsp of maxibloom per gallon of tap water and let them grow. I also told them I wanted any males that popped up... I only have 6 of those seeds left now, Punto Rojo x (Mazar x Guererro)

I've never clipped one up "on the hoof" like that. It looks SO damn sexy. Gotta do it.

Nerd werds...

I (and, I'd guess, many people who do the hydroponic thing) aim for 5.8, but I'll often try to overshoot it very slightly and let it drift very slightly past that target in the other direction before doing anything to change it.

I suspect that the level of DO in the solution might have a tiny bit of an effect on the "best pH" for any given reservoir/plant. But I don't really have much basis for my suspicion (in other words, it's just a hunch).

I'm a 5.5 guy. I think it drifts up as the water evaporates and the nutrients are absorbed over my 2 day water cycle. Starting at 5.5 and drifting up to 6ish gives it room to drift thru the various uptake zones really hitting the high notes on them all... except cal and mag of course... that's why we supplement.

And some are at least slightly more available at what we'd consider "out of optimum range." The numbers we shoot for are really just a compromise; the pH at which all nutrients are available enough (since the individual elements don't share the same "best" pH numbers).

See previous drift related words.
This is all just by design tho. Nothing amazing here. The nutrient regimes and feeding schedules are all built to optimize it. It's how it works. You can set your res or your soil at any given PH and then it will drift. It's just a matter of using that natural drift to your advantage.

So fun talking to you on the phone while at Sue's today!!!

My first photoperiod hempy plant is now in week 8 with pistils in flowering. The strain is an @SeedsMan Blueberry fem. Trying to decide if it is starting to foxtail. This plant has taken a licking and kept on ticking.

@Tead I have thought about it. I only use an exhaust fan for cooling on a temp sensor. It does the basic job of keeping the tent with in range. During the winter time with the drivers in it helps keep the tent warmer since I am outside in a shed. During the summer I wish they were outside the tent. Definitely far from perfect but does keep the jars filled...

Back
Top Bottom