Hempy - OC+ - CFLs & 3 Good Seeds

re: Hempy - OC+ - CFLs & 3 Good Seeds

Yup....I strip 'em too. By the time harvest comes around, my plants are just budz on sticks. I don't take anything 'till they're well into flower though. I don't know about increased yield, but I'm after the bottoms maturing at almost the same rate as the tops. I've never had a bad side affect yet:morenutes::morenutes::morenutes::morenutes:

Hey Chopper! For some strange reason I didn't know you did this too. I think that's exactly where the increased yield comes from, the lower branches that are normally popcorn get enough light to produce nice buds.

i would be so scared to do this the first time!! i was sweating bullets the first time i topped my plant...

Haha I was there not long ago nehemiah, and welcome! It gets easier. Then it becomes fun :tokin:

Blue you can goggle marijuana defoliation and get a lot more info about it if you want. Like I said I've seen great results, I'm not experienced enough to start doing this to my plants.

Ok thanks PB! I'm not experienced enough either but I've never let that slow me down :)

hmm i think lst sounds better than going all "jack the ripper" on your plants to get the light on lower branches,,the pics of lst plants late in flower vs cut up plants speak volumes to me! and logically if the plant is spending energy sealing up cuts,its not using it to grow fruit, any advanced botany/horticulture book i have read indicates that plants need their leaves to produce food and energy for the production of flowers and overall health and vigor, im not saying theres any wrong way,, and i would try it all and i will,, but i figured i would chime in some of my thoughts on the ol slice n dice!! lol
love 2 all

hmm i think lst sounds better than going all "jack the ripper" on your plants to get the light on lower branches,,the pics of lst plants late in flower vs cut up plants speak volumes to me! and logically if the plant is spending energy sealing up cuts,its not using it to grow fruit, any advanced botany/horticulture book i have read indicates that plants need their leaves to produce food and energy for the production of flowers and overall health and vigor, im not saying theres any wrong way,, and i would try it all and i will,, but i figured i would chime in some of my thoughts on the ol slice n dice!! lol
love 2 all

The grower I'm copying spent 20 years growing and thinking it was crazy to prune the fan leaves. Then he did a side by side grow & now he'll never go back.

I can tell you this, lst'ing works great but it's all about your environment and lighting. I ended up with very big, wide plants that were difficult to adequately light with cfls (lst worked awesome for me outdoors btw).

Same with just a straight grow without lst. There were lots of bud sites I couldn't get lights anywhere close.

So I'm going to try smaller clones, where there's really not a whole lot there except colas and I can get plenty of light on them no problem.

I predict with this grow I'll match or exceed the yield on my last grow - 9 zips. And that will be in a smaller footprint with half the lighting... I'm running about 600 total watts right now and doubt I'll need much more.

But of course the proof will be in the pudding.

Thanks for stopping by my friend.

Helllllloooo BD, just stopping in.. I'm looking to sell off my 400w for cheap on ebay, gonna get me a 600w Lumatek, going to be able to run my 400w bulb with it till it dies and then change over to a 600w.

I'll post a few pics of my girls inot my gallery tonight, hope to hear you ate a few muffins or something, I'd like some feedback on your end of it. Take care brother.

love 2 all

I used to think the same way. Back when I first started haunting this site, I only grew outdoors, and one big all or nothing grow was it each summer. Deer and rabbits and stuff seem to love weed too. You notice pretty quick that babies that are nibbled but aren't killed, tend to bush more. When they come and tear a cola off a plant that is finishing, the budz on the bottom always lively up a bit. I don't remove many at once....it's an ongoing process. I also do not strip outdoor plants unless the leaf in question is 50% or more yellow. Healthy leaves stay on outdoor plants. This is strictly something done to the indoor plants.:hookah:

Helllllloooo BD, just stopping in.. I'm looking to sell off my 400w for cheap on ebay, gonna get me a 600w Lumatek, going to be able to run my 400w bulb with it till it dies and then change over to a 600w.

I'll post a few pics of my girls inot my gallery tonight, hope to hear you ate a few muffins or something, I'd like some feedback on your end of it. Take care brother.

Hey Bro do you have a link on the light you're looking at? I'd like to check it out. If I sold all the stuff I want to get rid of on Craig's List I'd probably get raided by the DEA lol.

I'm sorry to say that I haven't tried the cooking yet but I have a nice stash for it. I'm still not feeling all that energetic and resting as much as I can. But I'm def going to give it a whirl. It would be fun to take one of those to my crappy job for a snack :morenutes:

I used to think the same way. Back when I first started haunting this site, I only grew outdoors, and one big all or nothing grow was it each summer. Deer and rabbits and stuff seem to love weed too. You notice pretty quick that babies that are nibbled but aren't killed, tend to bush more. When they come and tear a cola off a plant that is finishing, the budz on the bottom always lively up a bit. I don't remove many at once....it's an ongoing process. I also do not strip outdoor plants unless the leaf in question is 50% or more yellow. Healthy leaves stay on outdoor plants. This is strictly something done to the indoor plants.:hookah:

Now that's old school Chopper!

Pruning lessons from rabbits haha :tokin:

Damn I wish I knew a remote place to try another outdoor grow.

IMO the trick is to get light to the buds. Outdoors plants growing naturally need to store energy in their leaves for drought etc. And the sun gets them all the light they need even when they're shaded.

Drought is not an issue with our plants so we have to maximize the light.

It may be that the buds are stunted a bit by removing leaves, idk. But that loss in yield, if any, is apparently made up for by the quality of the lower buds. It's the opposite of lollypopping where guys leave the leaves and trim the lower bud sites.

If nothing else it should be very interesting.

I'm seeing my first pistils forming on the oldest WW's, it's day 9.

I lowered the light to about 12" but between that and the plants growing I singed the tops of one and maybe two WW's.

Talk about a screwy sog, about half the plants are 8-10" and the rest range from 4-6. I'm hoping at the end of stretch they're all about 18-24".

I've still got 4 AG clones. One has visible roots. Thee others still look ok and hopefully will also root. They'll be 2+ weeks behind the first group but that's ok. I really want to grow this strain.

Chopper, I appreciate your input on this. Actually, inspired by some of your previous posts, I trimmed my plants at three weeks (I'm now at 37 days) of 12/12 and plan on doing again at 45 days. I was pretty conservative, but if it was blocking light to a bud, it got trimmed, and if it wasn't going to produce anything notable, it got trimmed. I also thinned out the undergrowth for circulation and removed anything dead or dying.

So far, the plants seem to have responded great and I can see some of the lower buds will be good size due to this. :thanks:

So, my question is, have you noticed whether this type of trimming extends flowering time? If so, is there anything that can be done to minimize the extended time (i.e. adding more N or SuperThrive, etc.)?

Thanks for the help!

Chopper, I appreciate your input on this. Actually, inspired by some of your previous posts, I trimmed my plants at three weeks (I'm now at 37 days) of 12/12 and plan on doing again at 45 days. I was pretty conservative, but if it was blocking light to a bud, it got trimmed, and if it wasn't going to produce anything notable, it got trimmed. I also thinned out the undergrowth for circulation and removed anything dead or dying.

So far, the plants seem to have responded great and I can see some of the lower buds will be good size due to this. :thanks:

So, my question is, have you noticed whether this type of trimming extends flowering time? If so, is there anything that can be done to minimize the extended time (i.e. adding more N or SuperThrive, etc.)?

Thanks for the help!

I love following along with other peoples experimentation - learning rocks!!

Thanks for the help!

I believe the time is actually less. I can't say for sure but from what I have heard and read.

I support removing all the fan leaves from the underside of the plant. Heavy defoliation from the base of the stem upward before flowering.

If you take a plant and butcher it then there are some added days as the plant gets reset. If you take a plant in veg and trim 100% of the fan leaves and remove under stems and bushiness and put the plant immediately into 12/12, 65 days later you will have very frosty buds on the stems you left and fan leaves will have extended out of the new growth.

But trimming a few fan leaves on a giant untamed bush 30 or 45 days into flower will not do anything to the timing. Lollipopping at the very end and allowing another few days to go by afterwards usually clouds up clear tricomes and adds serious couch lock to the fortune, that added knockout.

Now as far as yield goes if you trim this way you will get nodes that yield their potential and they have also been getting intense light. Comparing clones that have been heavy defoled to ones that have not, the bud is better on the trimmed plant. The quality seems to increase overall for trimmed plants. The weight per plant goes down when the plant has been limited by trimming, but a trimmed 8 week veg, the same size as a untrimmed 3 week veg will have more overall weight.

Hey Bro do you have a link on the light you're looking at? I'd like to check it out. If I sold all the stuff I want to get rid of on Craig's List I'd probably get raided by the DEA lol.

I'm sorry to say that I haven't tried the cooking yet but I have a nice stash for it. I'm still not feeling all that energetic and resting as much as I can. But I'm def going to give it a whirl. It would be fun to take one of those to my crappy job for a snack :morenutes:

Hydroponics Orange County items - Get great deals on ADVANCED NUTRIENTS, ENVIRONMENTAL CONTROLLERS items on eBay Stores!

Thanks for the help!

Let us know how it goes brother. This is all fascinating to me. Are you growing clones or seeds?

I love following along with other peoples experimentation - learning rocks!!

:thumb:

I believe the time is actually less. I can't say for sure but from what I have heard and read.

The guy I'm copying, jrosek, says that his plant's flowering period is 2 weeks shorter than plants grown from seed. However I'm unclear if he thinks this is from the pruning or the size of the clones.

I support removing all the fan leaves from the underside of the plant. Heavy defoliation from the base of the stem upward before flowering.

If you take a plant and butcher it then there are some added days as the plant gets reset. If you take a plant in veg and trim 100% of the fan leaves and remove under stems and bushiness and put the plant immediately into 12/12, 65 days later you will have very frosty buds on the stems you left and fan leaves will have extended out of the new growth.

But trimming a few fan leaves on a giant untamed bush 30 or 45 days into flower will not do anything to the timing. Lollipopping at the very end and allowing another few days to go by afterwards usually clouds up clear tricomes and adds serious couch lock to the fortune, that added knockout.

Now as far as yield goes if you trim this way you will get nodes that yield their potential and they have also been getting intense light. Comparing clones that have been heavy defoled to ones that have not, the bud is better on the trimmed plant. The quality seems to increase overall for trimmed plants. The weight per plant goes down when the plant has been limited by trimming, but a trimmed 8 week veg, the same size as a untrimmed 3 week veg will have more overall weight.

Great info McCrackin thank you!

jrosek removes all fan leaves 21 days and 45 days into flower. His reasoning is that 21 days into flower gives the roots time to fully develop. The first step in the process is to only put what he calls 'fully rooted' clones into flower, about 21 days after you take them. His cuttings went in at about 4-5" and are 18" or so when finished. He was growing bog bubblicious (whatever that is haha) and had grown that strain for a long time and knew it well, he only recommends this for shorter, bushier indicas.

So anyhow I would think you'd want a really nice root system going before you do the first prune... is that your experience?

Thank you my brotha. How's the little guy today?

I'd love to know what some of these "seed banks" look like. No names, but some make me picture..............A couple of pudgy,pasty, greasy haired nerd types, in a garage full of shoe boxes with a computer on a card table in the corner
haaaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaa:Rasta::Rasta::Rasta:
24,000 views Blue !! WTF?? Wasn't this like 4 old potheads talking about growing weed cause commercial budz were sucking hard and Kryp is like 400++ an O ?!?!?! Who're the other 23990 folks??? hahahaahahaha
Aurora has me nodding in my Wheaties tonight
24,000 too funny

This is great info! Thanks!
:thanks:

Blue, the two girls I have in flower now are an Afghan Kush and a Royal Haze, both from some donated/rescued clones.

hey blue you could lst the taller plants and even up the canopy:hookah:

Hey ss no can do, these guys are in 2 liters and barely have room to grow straight up. I think it's ok, nobody's stretching like crazy and I have cfl's on all 4 sides giving them a bunch of light down low. I expect in a few weeks they'll all be more or less the same height.

I'd love to know what some of these "seed banks" look like. No names, but some make me picture..............A couple of pudgy,pasty, greasy haired nerd types, in a garage full of shoe boxes with a computer on a card table in the corner
haaaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaa:Rasta::Rasta::Rasta:
24,000 views Blue !! WTF?? Wasn't this like 4 old potheads talking about growing weed cause commercial budz were sucking hard and Kryp is like 400++ an O ?!?!?! Who're the other 23990 folks??? hahahaahahaha
Aurora has me nodding in my Wheaties tonight
24,000 too funny

Hey Chopper you've really got me wanting that Aurora. I'm toking some Lucy tonight. I really can't decide which of these 3 I like best, that's a good problem to have :tokin:

I dunno how I could have so many views, but it's probably the same 24 of us with 1000 each lol.

I'll never think of seedbanks the same way again haha. I can even see mousetraps in the corners.

This is great info! Thanks!
:thanks:

Blue, the two girls I have in flower now are an Afghan Kush and a Royal Haze, both from some donated/rescued clones.

Hey Mr Krip! I gotta move somewhere where peeps drop by with clones in hand. I doubt any of my friends have ever seen a clone. And most have never seen a live plant. I smoked for 25 years and never saw either. Different worlds for sure :surf:

CT is legalizing MMJ and Decriminalizing small amounts, less than an oz and get a ticket! I think I'll stick around for a few...

They are trying to do the same here in Hawaii....needs one more vote! :)

Back
Top Bottom