How to grow in Coco: Feed schedule

Quick update, watered at lights on last night with 1.5L nute solution split between the three plants, ended up with a tiny amount of runoff from two of the three.

Runoff isn't an issue for me as I have my plants in trays but up on trivets, so there's a ~30mm gap between the bottom of the pot and the tray as you can see here:

Here's a photo of the leaf yellowing/browning, this is plant #1:

Plant #2's leaves are curling down a bit, different to the others:

And plant #3 (the one that struggled to push its seed husk off) is probably the healthiest looking of all:

And here's a photo of the full setup, 315W LEC in 1200x1200 tent, with a humidifier and a tower fan:

Min/max temps at the top of the tent (not under the lights) are 18degC-25degC, RH is 50%-70%. The smart pots full of coco must be pumping a ton of water into the air, humidity was 25-35% at seedling stage (which is why I bought the humidifier) but now I'm actually having trouble keeping it below 80%. I currently just vent the air into the room and allow it to recirculate, but now I've transplanted to the big smart pots I have to open the room up a couple of times a day to keep the humidity down! I'm going to look into getting either a dehumidifier that I can vent out the window, or a portable reverse cycle a/c unit.. I've been wanting to buy one for a while now and since it's winter here I should be able to get one nice and cheap :) I can vent the tent air directly out the window, but being winter I feel like I'm probably better off venting the heat from the lights back into the room. An A/C or dehumidifier will vent air out but won't do it constantly, which I think will make it easier to keep those temps up in the 20s.

This should be my last long post here, sorry to hijack things! I'll go and start up a grow journal and link to that if I need anything more.

Thanks for all the valuable info so far in this thread, it's fantastic to read through!

Hey man, Just wondering when going off the ppm are you using the 500 or 700 scale ? and my nutrient range is very different i can't seem to find anything similar in my country. These are my numbers for week 4 in coco you any tips or suggestions would be great.

Attachments

• weeek 4.png
    weeek 4.png
    12.3 KB · Views: 325
Hi again,

The 500 / 700 scale question applies to me too.. my TDS meter arrived today, but now that question has popped up I don't know if I'm getting the right readings. EDIT: this link seems to say that 'TDS' refers specifically to the PPM500 scale.

With the meter straight out of the box tap water measures 141ppm and my current nutrient solution (week 3 from the GWE schedule) measures 690ppm which seems to be in the wheelhouse, although there is a lot of cal-mag in that mix. Should I add a tiny amount of cal-mag to get to 150ppm then add nutes at the ratios on the bottles aiming for 600-700ppm, or just keep going on the ratios I'm currently on? Adding less cal-mag would mean there's a higher percentage of nutes at the same PPM reading which I imagine would be better?

The meter also gives an EC reading but it's in microsiemens per centimetre (μS/cm), tap water reads 300 and nute solution reads 1504. I guess that translates to 0.3 and 1.5 siemens per centimetre which seems to be in the wheelhouse if I'm scaling correctly, and an online converter tells me that's 150 and 750ppm so I guess that backs up the idea my meter is measuring in PPM 500.

Anyways in terms of real world stuff the plants themselves look and seem incredibly happy since transplanting into the 5gal smarties, they've all grown at least 50mm (2") in the past 2-3 days :D

Cheers

I'm sorry I've not got the photos sorted cos now I can't show you my set up but I've noticed the roots have largely reached the bottom of my Solo Cups. I've got 5 x 3 gallon fabric-ish pots to transplant some into that came with the Growlush set up, so I've transplanted one of the seedlings into one just as a test run. But I'll need to do another 10-15 in a coupla days cos I need enough to fill both tents (12sq feet. & a 24sq feet) after culling males. I'll forget the Perlite this time cos you advised me to. But may I ask you what pots I should use, please? I'm thinking either recyclable hessian shopping bags (cheap) or square buckets with lots of holes cut out (by myself)? I've been offered the loan of 5 pots with bubble holes (some name like that) manufactured especially for growing pot in. I've got 5 ring drip feeders and a pump for one tent. But I'm liking your idea of watering/feeding once per day by hand for this first grow so I can get a feel for it more. And like today, I tried to water just enough to moisten the medium with very little run off and hoping to have them dry enough for another feed tomorrow. I think that is your system?! Honestly, I've had SO many kind people advising me online but so much contradictory information that I'm now gonna just stick with YOUR program! It makes sense to me, I guess.
& btw - if you can see one of the pics, it's the silly Growlush thingy I bought...just so you know what I'm talking about.
Thank you!! I was a pretty nifty outdoor grower 20 years ago, as we have ideal weather down here but the market has changed. I lived in Amsterdam for a year 18 yrs ago and saw some amazing grow ops there! But whole different scale to my little tents.
Hey mate, whats the name of that grow system there i REALLY like it

Hi Cult, first off thank you! I have found this thread to be extremely helpful. I have a couple of questions. I’m pretty sure I have the right idea but I just want to make sure.
1. My water is city RO with a PPM of 0 to 10. Do I add 140ppm of cal/mag to total 150ppm?
Or just add 150ppm of cal/mag?
Then add equal parts of PH perfect MGB? For example 600ppm = 200ppm micro, 200ppm grow and 200ppm bloom? PPM wise they are equal but volume wise they would not be equal parts.
2. I’ve read this whole thread all 70 pages. I don’t think you mentioned foliage spray.
Do you use a foliage spray? What do you use? What concentration?
Thank you so much for your help to all of us.
Growing Do Si Dos 1 plant
Coco perlite mix 70/30 pre buffered
PH for feeds varies 5.6 to 5.8
450w viparaspectra LED
Temp 22.5c days to 19c night RH 70 to 80Day 50s at night
Plant is week 5 in veg
Advanced Nutrients PH perfect MGB
Advanced Nutrients sensi Cal/mag xtra
I currently mix 1 gallon of feed at at time and water 2x per day. 1 litre per water.
Thanks again

Hi Cult, first off thank you! I have found this thread to be extremely helpful. I have a couple of questions. I’m pretty sure I have the right idea but I just want to make sure.
1. My water is city RO with a PPM of 0 to 10. Do I add 140ppm of cal/mag to total 150ppm?
Or just add 150ppm of cal/mag?
Then add equal parts of PH perfect MGB? For example 600ppm = 200ppm micro, 200ppm grow and 200ppm bloom? PPM wise they are equal but volume wise they would not be equal parts.
2. I’ve read this whole thread all 70 pages. I don’t think you mentioned foliage spray.
Do you use a foliage spray? What do you use? What concentration?
Thank you so much for your help to all of us.
Growing Do Si Dos 1 plant
Coco perlite mix 70/30 pre buffered
PH for feeds varies 5.6 to 5.8
450w viparaspectra LED
Temp 22.5c days to 19c night RH 70 to 80Day 50s at night
Plant is week 5 in veg
Advanced Nutrients PH perfect MGB
Advanced Nutrients sensi Cal/mag xtra
I currently mix 1 gallon of feed at at time and water 2x per day. 1 litre per water.
Thanks again

I haven't been by this thread in a LONG time, but I still remember how helpful it was when I was starting out back in the winter this year.

I am using RO as well, in coco, with LEDs. I found in my last grow that I needed to run Cal/Mag at higher levels than shown here - about 0.4 EC, which is 200 PPM. My suggestion is that you take whatever PPM your RO is showing, and call that zero. Then add your various nutes accordingly. So for the question you asked, if your RO is showing 10 PPM, and you want 150 PPM of Cal/Mag, then I would target 160 PPM. Make sense?

One other comment, although you didn't ask. I think your RH might be a little high in the 70-80% range, since you are now well into veg stage. Temps look great, but would shoot for something more like 50-60%. Once you get into flowering, I think that you will want to get that down well below 40% towards the end of bloom cycle, just to avoid any risk of mold.

Hope that helps a bit!

I haven't been by this thread in a LONG time, but I still remember how helpful it was when I was starting out back in the winter this year.

I am using RO as well, in coco, with LEDs. I found in my last grow that I needed to run Cal/Mag at higher levels than shown here - about 0.4 EC, which is 200 PPM. My suggestion is that you take whatever PPM your RO is showing, and call that zero. Then add your various nutes accordingly. So for the question you asked, if your RO is showing 10 PPM, and you want 150 PPM of Cal/Mag, then I would target 160 PPM. Make sense?

One other comment, although you didn't ask. I think your RH might be a little high in the 70-80% range, since you are now well into veg stage. Temps look great, but would shoot for something more like 50-60%. Once you get into flowering, I think that you will want to get that down well below 40% towards the end of bloom cycle, just to avoid any risk of mold.

Hope that helps a bit!
Thanks for the reply Bard, it does make more sense to me. About the humidity as soon as I turn on the bloom side of my Led it will burn up most of the daily humidity. I will also start running my exhaust fan 24/7 to keep the moisture down.
Thanks again
Cheers

Hey everyone.

Ive been growing for a long time now and mostly coco. Ive grown literally thousands and thousands of plants so here i will dedicaye a thread to growing in coco.

Please ask questions, i will always answer. No question is stupid, if you dont know then you dont know.

I will start by adding this feeding schedule. There are variations and more ways to do it but this will 100% give quality results.

Here is the Coco schedule. Remember its a guide, no substitute for knowing plants needs.

Ive had a lot of questions on nutrients recently so im going to list a full nute schedule that i use for Coco and Hydro growing. Im not going to list a soil feed schedule because there are variables that could affect what nutrients are used. Also 99% of my growing is hydroponic and I include coco in that so I will advise on what I do to get top results.

Before I make the list be aware that nutrients are way less important than light source and environment. I know alot of people grow on a tight budget but dont skip on a good light source. The video I posted yesterday explains about minimum requirements for growing and why. You want minimum 400w actual draw for a 4x4 square foot area (1x1m), yes you can grow with less but i'm not interested in growing weed with a torch or a 200w draw LED that claims to be a 600w equivalent. If you are growing even one plant make it the best it can be, its a long process to grow. Dont settle for an oz or 2 every 3 months as its wasted time and money when you can x6 that minimum just by using the correct source. A 400w hps would be the minimum requirement for me and my feed schedule represents a grow using adequate light. It stands to reason that a plant with less light will need less nutrient, just like a standard car will need less fuel than a Bugatti Veron.

So with all that said here are the schedules. You can omit anything you like additive wise but base nutrient is the most important. These are recipes that work for me and will vary depending on the quality of the water but anyone using water that is no higher than 0.7ec (350ppm) or using RO water should work. Of course try to never use tap water higher than 0.4ec (200ppm) if it can be helped.

The schedules will be based on 9 week strains, if running 8 week strains just finish nutes a week earlier. I never grow strains longer than 9 weeks now but a 10 week strain you would add 1 more week of the final boost. Strains over that will be different mix and I wont touch on that today.

I have got to these recipes over 15 years or so growing. Im not saying this is the only way but you will not fail if you follow these recipes and have adequate light source and environment.

My schedules will go off using RO water so a starting water of 0 EC (0 PPM) This will make it easier, you can omit calmag if water is of good quality and 0.3ec+ usually but its worth having incase it needs to be dded. If using water of 0.3 ec (150ppm) for example you would add that value to the value of feed i suggest. So if I suggest 1.0 ec of nutes you would add 0.3ec on to that making 1.3ec. Also the values will add up so for example if its 0.3 calmag and i add base nutrient then add it on to the 0.3ec. so if i say base up to 1.0ec that includes the 0.3 of calmag, in other words 0.7ec of base nutrient.

Finally a good EC/PPM meter is really important as is a good PH Pen, they will help you know exactly what is going into the nutrient mix and will be a valuable tool for diagnosing any possible problems. Never go off what the bottle recommends especially for anything that effects EC/PPMs.

RECIPE FOR COCO COIR.....

SEEDLINGS....

Jiffy pellets/root riot cubes/rockwool

Calmag (optional, use if water is RO) 0.1ec (50ppm)
SuperVit 1 drop/4litres water
H+G Roots Excellurator Gold 0.3ml/litre
Great White mycorrhizae 1 scoop/4 litres
PH 5.5-5.8

Soak the cubes or pellets in the solution and wring out so damp and not wet, add the seedling. this mix will get the rooting started quickly and produce strong hairy roots. I transplant into a 1-3 litre pot as soon as the tap root comes out the bottom of the cube.

FIRST TRANSPLANT

Great White mycorrhizae sprinkled in the hole where cube will be placed or onto the cube itself.
CalMag 0.3ec (150ppm)
Advanced Nutrients PH Perfect Micro Grow Bloom 1.0ec (500ppm) This is approximately 2ml/litre.
Roots Excellurator 0.3ml/litre
SuperVit 1drop/4liitres
Advanced Nutrients VooDoo Juice 2ml/litre (once per week)

PH 5.8

SECOND TRANSPLANT.....

Great White Mycorrhizae sprinkled in hole for transplant or direct onto rootzone
CalMag 0.3ec (150ppm)
Advanced Nutrient PH Perfect Micro Grow Bloom 1.2-1.4ec (600-700ppm)
SuperVit 1drop/4litres
Advanced Nutrients Voodoo juice 2ml/litre (once per week)

FLOWER PERIOD (START OF 12/12)

WEEK 1

Calmag 0.3ec (150ppm)
Ionic Coco Bloom 1.4ec (700ppm)
Buddhas Tree Flower Burst 0.25ml/litre
Advanced Nutrients Voodoo juice 2ml/litre
Great White mycorrhizae 1scoop/10 litres
Advanced Nutrients sensizym 2ml/litre or Cannazym 2.5ml/litre

PH5.8-6.0

WEEK 2

Calmag 0.3ec (150ppm)
Advanced Nutrients Sensizym 2ml/litre or Cannazym 2.5ml/litre

PH 5.8-6.0

WEEK 3

CalMag 0.3ec (150ppm)
Ionic Coco Bloom 1.5-1.6ec (750-800ppm)
Sensizym 2ml/litre or Cannazym 2.5ml/litre

PH 5.8-6.0

WEEK 4 and WEEK 5

CalMag 0.3ec (150ppm)
Ionic Coco Bloom 1.6ec (800ppm)
Buddhas Tree PK 0.25ml/litre
Buddhas Tree Advanced Metaboost 1ml/litre

PH 5.8-6.0

WEEK 6

CalMag 0.3ml/litre (150ppm)
Buddhas Tree Pk 0.5ml/litre
Buddhas Tree Advanced Metaboost 1-2ml/litre
Great White mycorrhizae 1 scoop/10litres

PH5.8-6.0

WEEK 7

CalMag 0.3ec (150ppm)
Plagron Green Sensation 1.8ec (900ppm) (can use Buddhas tree PK and metaboost as in week 6)

PH5.8-6.0

WEEK 8

CalMag 0.3ec (150ppm)
Ionic Coco Bloom 1.8ec (900ppm)
Plagron Green Sensation 2.0ec (1000ppm) (can use Buddhas tree PK and metaboost as in week 6)

PH 5.8-6.0

WEEK 9

First water to 50% run off.
Allow to dry until pots light to lift.
Water only daily. Enough so that its ready for more 24 hours later. DO NOT KEEP DRENCHED. Biggest chance of bud rot is now.
Flushing will clean excess salts and increase both yield and quality as it forces plants to finish.
Only water until harvest, minimum 7 days water.

Hydro is exactly the same as above with 3 changes.

1st replace Ionic Coco Bloom with Ionic Hydro Bloom

2nd Base nutrient EC/PPM at each feed can be pushed an extra 0.2ec/100ppm if required

3rd PH should be between 5.5-6.0 throughout.

In Recirculating Hydro PH swings are normal, allow some fluctuation as its better for plants to have a good range to uptake nutes. Set it at the lower end and allow it to increase. If it goes over 6.0 readjust to 5.8.

The recipe above is just one recipe that works well. Once you understand the plants needs at each period of growth you can adjust the feeds as going week by week isnt the most accurate way to do it but 100% this baseline recipe will give great results.

Finally in Coco and Hydro plants must be fed daily at least once per day. Do not keep media saturated ever. For Coco give enough liquid so plants are ready to be fed again 24 hours later when hand feeding. So plants should be light to lift but not completely dried out to the point of leaves wilting. Never allow it to dry out completely as the salts in the Media will burn the roots.

I hope this helps and if anyone wants alternatives to any products just ask.

Peace.
Hi , newbie here, not got through the 70 pages yet, but just a quick one, my tap water reads 150 ec, does this mean I don’t add cal mag ? Sorry but bit confused .
Great post , can’t wait to follow your regime. I’ve been using canna and prob too much cal mag , not enough feeding , god knows really . Just having a nightmare at the mo
Cheers

Hi , newbie here, not got through the 70 pages yet, but just a quick one, my tap water reads 150 ec, does this mean I don’t add cal mag ? Sorry but bit confused .
Great post , can’t wait to follow your regime. I’ve been using canna and prob too much cal mag , not enough feeding , god knows really . Just having a nightmare at the mo
Cheers

if you're growing in coco you still want to add some most of the time. my water is the same ec as yours and i add 2ml / gal in veg and 3ml / gal in bloom.

Cheers

@JimmyVentura start yourself a journal here if you're having some trouble. we'll get you straightened out so fast broski.

Hey Man! nice to see you back. finding this thread 8 months ago made my growing journey so much easier.
My 4th crop now due for harvest in 2 weeks is my best yet.
Thanks for making understanding coco simple for me in the beginning :adore:
20191030_182624.jpg20191030_182718.jpg20191030_182901.jpg

Hey everyone.

Ive been growing for a long time now and mostly coco. Ive grown literally thousands and thousands of plants so here i will dedicaye a thread to growing in coco.

Please ask questions, i will always answer. No question is stupid, if you dont know then you dont know.

I will start by adding this feeding schedule. There are variations and more ways to do it but this will 100% give quality results.

Here is the Coco schedule. Remember its a guide, no substitute for knowing plants needs.

Ive had a lot of questions on nutrients recently so im going to list a full nute schedule that i use for Coco and Hydro growing. Im not going to list a soil feed schedule because there are variables that could affect what nutrients are used. Also 99% of my growing is hydroponic and I include coco in that so I will advise on what I do to get top results.

Before I make the list be aware that nutrients are way less important than light source and environment. I know alot of people grow on a tight budget but dont skip on a good light source. The video I posted yesterday explains about minimum requirements for growing and why. You want minimum 400w actual draw for a 4x4 square foot area (1x1m), yes you can grow with less but i'm not interested in growing weed with a torch or a 200w draw LED that claims to be a 600w equivalent. If you are growing even one plant make it the best it can be, its a long process to grow. Dont settle for an oz or 2 every 3 months as its wasted time and money when you can x6 that minimum just by using the correct source. A 400w hps would be the minimum requirement for me and my feed schedule represents a grow using adequate light. It stands to reason that a plant with less light will need less nutrient, just like a standard car will need less fuel than a Bugatti Veron.

So with all that said here are the schedules. You can omit anything you like additive wise but base nutrient is the most important. These are recipes that work for me and will vary depending on the quality of the water but anyone using water that is no higher than 0.7ec (350ppm) or using RO water should work. Of course try to never use tap water higher than 0.4ec (200ppm) if it can be helped.

The schedules will be based on 9 week strains, if running 8 week strains just finish nutes a week earlier. I never grow strains longer than 9 weeks now but a 10 week strain you would add 1 more week of the final boost. Strains over that will be different mix and I wont touch on that today.

I have got to these recipes over 15 years or so growing. Im not saying this is the only way but you will not fail if you follow these recipes and have adequate light source and environment.

My schedules will go off using RO water so a starting water of 0 EC (0 PPM) This will make it easier, you can omit calmag if water is of good quality and 0.3ec+ usually but its worth having incase it needs to be dded. If using water of 0.3 ec (150ppm) for example you would add that value to the value of feed i suggest. So if I suggest 1.0 ec of nutes you would add 0.3ec on to that making 1.3ec. Also the values will add up so for example if its 0.3 calmag and i add base nutrient then add it on to the 0.3ec. so if i say base up to 1.0ec that includes the 0.3 of calmag, in other words 0.7ec of base nutrient.

Finally a good EC/PPM meter is really important as is a good PH Pen, they will help you know exactly what is going into the nutrient mix and will be a valuable tool for diagnosing any possible problems. Never go off what the bottle recommends especially for anything that effects EC/PPMs.

RECIPE FOR COCO COIR.....

SEEDLINGS....

Jiffy pellets/root riot cubes/rockwool

Calmag (optional, use if water is RO) 0.1ec (50ppm)
SuperVit 1 drop/4litres water
H+G Roots Excellurator Gold 0.3ml/litre
Great White mycorrhizae 1 scoop/4 litres
PH 5.5-5.8

Soak the cubes or pellets in the solution and wring out so damp and not wet, add the seedling. this mix will get the rooting started quickly and produce strong hairy roots. I transplant into a 1-3 litre pot as soon as the tap root comes out the bottom of the cube.

FIRST TRANSPLANT

Great White mycorrhizae sprinkled in the hole where cube will be placed or onto the cube itself.
CalMag 0.3ec (150ppm)
Advanced Nutrients PH Perfect Micro Grow Bloom 1.0ec (500ppm) This is approximately 2ml/litre.
SuperVit 1drop/4liitres
Advanced Nutrients VooDoo Juice 2ml/litre (once per week)

PH 5.8

SECOND TRANSPLANT.....

Great White Mycorrhizae sprinkled in hole for transplant or direct onto rootzone
CalMag 0.3ec (150ppm)
Advanced Nutrient PH Perfect Micro Grow Bloom 1.2-1.4ec (600-700ppm)
SuperVit 1drop/4litres
Advanced Nutrients Voodoo juice 2ml/litre (once per week)

FLOWER PERIOD (START OF 12/12)

WEEK 1

Calmag 0.3ec (150ppm)
Advanced Nutrients sensizym 2ml/litre or Cannazym 2.5ml/litre

PH5.8-6.0

WEEK 2

Calmag 0.3ec (150ppm)
Advanced Nutrients Sensizym 2ml/litre or Cannazym 2.5ml/litre

PH 5.8-6.0

WEEK 3

CalMag 0.3ec (150ppm)
Ionic Coco Bloom 1.5-1.6ec (750-800ppm)

PH 5.8-6.0

WEEK 4 and WEEK 5

CalMag 0.3ec (150ppm)
Buddhas Tree PK 0.25ml/litre
Buddhas Tree Advanced Metaboost 1ml/litre

PH 5.8-6.0

WEEK 6

CalMag 0.3ml/litre (150ppm)
Buddhas Tree Pk 0.5ml/litre
Buddhas Tree Advanced Metaboost 1-2ml/litre
Great White mycorrhizae 1 scoop/10litres

PH5.8-6.0

WEEK 7

CalMag 0.3ec (150ppm)
Plagron Green Sensation 1.8ec (900ppm) (can use Buddhas tree PK and metaboost as in week 6)

PH5.8-6.0

WEEK 8

CalMag 0.3ec (150ppm)
Ionic Coco Bloom 1.8ec (900ppm)
Plagron Green Sensation 2.0ec (1000ppm) (can use Buddhas tree PK and metaboost as in week 6)

PH 5.8-6.0

WEEK 9

First water to 50% run off.
Allow to dry until pots light to lift.
Water only daily. Enough so that its ready for more 24 hours later. DO NOT KEEP DRENCHED. Biggest chance of bud rot is now.
Flushing will clean excess salts and increase both yield and quality as it forces plants to finish.
Only water until harvest, minimum 7 days water.

Hydro is exactly the same as above with 3 changes.

1st replace Ionic Coco Bloom with Ionic Hydro Bloom

2nd Base nutrient EC/PPM at each feed can be pushed an extra 0.2ec/100ppm if required

3rd PH should be between 5.5-6.0 throughout.

In Recirculating Hydro PH swings are normal, allow some fluctuation as its better for plants to have a good range to uptake nutes. Set it at the lower end and allow it to increase. If it goes over 6.0 readjust to 5.8.

The recipe above is just one recipe that works well. Once you understand the plants needs at each period of growth you can adjust the feeds as going week by week isnt the most accurate way to do it but 100% this baseline recipe will give great results.

Finally in Coco and Hydro plants must be fed daily at least once per day. Do not keep media saturated ever. For Coco give enough liquid so plants are ready to be fed again 24 hours later when hand feeding. So plants should be light to lift but not completely dried out to the point of leaves wilting. Never allow it to dry out completely as the salts in the Media will burn the roots.

I hope this helps and if anyone wants alternatives to any products just ask.

Peace.
Hi, I’ve got everything bar the advanced nutrients ph perfect micro grow bloom, is that one bottle or 3 , bit confused on the internet . Shop didn’t have it in
Thanks

Hi, I’ve got everything bar the advanced nutrients ph perfect micro grow bloom, is that one bottle or 3 , bit confused on the internet . Shop didn’t have it in
Thanks
Hi Jimmy, Advanced Nutrients PH perfect is a 3 part system. 1 bottle each for Micro, grow and bloom.
Cheers

Back
Top Bottom