How To Make Concentrated Cannabis Oil

Been on a long hiatus and happy to see things are still moving along. Oil is still working great for us and over time I can say that if made and used with Tim’s methods as well as others. I still grow organic, and follow these methods with spyrtus successfully. Keep it going.

It’s so great to see you guys continuing the work of @420 Motoco @CajunCelt & @SweetSue please keep the fire burning for the millions of others who need this critical information to save more lives :thanks:

Been on a long hiatus and happy to see things are still moving along. Oil is still working great for us and over time I can say that if made and used with Tim’s methods as well as others. I still grow organic, and follow these methods with spyrtus successfully. Keep it going.
Hey budnoob, it's great to see you again!!
I can't help but thank you for mentioning my/our Mentor Tim of 420Motoco.
I know he's an angel watching over us all. I hope to do him proud. :thumb:

I don't believe that's true as 95% Everclear (190 proof) works really well. To get ethanol above 95% takes added steps and often includes unwanted additions such as methanol.

If you're referring to 99% isopropyl alcohol (QWISO), that is much more difficult to completely eliminate from the final product as @medmanmike discovered here.
Couldn't agree with you more InTheShed. Your everclear is just fine. And IMHO please, please, please don't EVER use isopropyl alcohol. NEVER NEVER NEVER. It has poison in it so you won't drink it. Trace amounts of ANY solvent remain in the final oil. People with health issues DO NOT need to ingest poison !!!!!!!
Just saying.

You need 99% Alcohol and High Quality cannabis for QWET to be efficient imo..I tried many methods over the years and i find a 4 hr soak with high grade Alcohol & Cannabis was the best for medicinal oil… Qwet you do 3 runs .. each run your oil will be less potent .. waste imo , especially for ppl who have a hard time finding quantity & quality cannabis . If you have plenty access , go ahead. But the 3rd run i would only use for topicals
Panacea, thanks for the QWET info. I would agree with you that 99% alcohol (198 proof ethanol) and high quality pot are needed for the maximum AMOUNT of oil produced. Also, I (and 420Motoco Tim and Rick Simpson) recommend only two 3 minute washes when using the QWET method, everything frozen. It's when squeezing the final wash out of the pot that I would wash a third time ONLY if my hands came out sticky after pressing out two washes. And, every subsequent wash will produce LESS oil, not less POTENT oil. Hope this helps.

Hi Kapncannabis,

The water stays. It performs two functions. First it absorbs the polar and semi-polar compounds - sugars, acids, phospolipids. The second thing it does is act as a heat buffer so your oil never rises above 212f. This is important if you want to keep the acidic state. Using water keeps the oil from spiking on bare metal. The standard water distiller has a 750w power supply to boil water. It will incinerate what little oil remains after boiling out the alcohol.

For recapturing alcohol, I can give you some tips on setting up a water distiller for optimal recapture, if you wish.

It's easy to deal with the water. Check the 'recipe' above in the reply to OldOak. Oil freezes solid at 10c/50f. Temperature is one of the tools we can use in the kitchen. My last reply to panacea gives details.
Hi MimiEMu, one question. Oil freezes solid at 50degF ?
I keep my oil in the refrigerator and it doesn't freeze solid.....it gets pretty thick, true, but far from solid. Am I missing something?
Also, I don't boil off ALL the alcohol in the still. Leave a little so you can easily pour the mixture out of the still. I do the distillation with the still on a scale so I know when to turn the still off and neither burn the oil OR leave too much alcohol in the oil.
Great work MimiEMu, you are definitely working to improve the process !
Peace

I don't believe that's true as 95% Everclear (190 proof) works really well. To get ethanol above 95% takes added steps and often includes unwanted additions such as methanol.

If you're referring to 99% isopropyl alcohol (QWISO), that is much more difficult to completely eliminate from the final product as @medmanmike discovered here.
True that . I should of stated i prefer 99% , unfortunately where i live i cannot access 95% everclear or i would use that,lucky i found a company that sells 99% alcohol that uses it for fish collagen extraction for human consumption.

True that . I should of stated i prefer 99% , unfortunately where i live i cannot access 95% everclear or i would use that,lucky i found a company that sells 99% alcohol that uses it for fish collagen extraction for human consumption
I keep my oil in the refrigerator and it doesn't freeze solid.....it gets pretty thick, true, but far from solid. Am I missing something?
Also, I don't boil off ALL the alcohol in the still. Leave a little so you can easily pour the mixture out of the still. I do the distillation with the still on a scale so I know when to turn the still off and neither burn the oil OR leave too much alcohol in the oil.
Peace
From my experience hard oil is usually from excessive plant waxes & chlorophyll being extracted. Years ago would get this from dealers who would sell you smokable oil that was soaked for days and extracted from shade leaves lol.

Thank you so much! I have ordered the Hydrometer Alcohol Meter. Getting a distiller in Jamaica is a bit trickier because it's over $50 and will weigh quite a bit and I'm not brave either for your other suggestion haha. I will try again to source the alcohol once the meter arrives and then make a decision. Thank you again!
It also helps to freeze you alcohol and cannabis :)

Hi NicheJA,
Thanks for your pointing out the contributions of our Mentors. Like so many, 420Motoco, Tim, took me under his wing and taught me how to make RSO and the equipment needed. I've upgraded almost all that equipment now to better and more easily do the job. I'll always remember and love Tim. He saved my life and the people I've treated as a cannabis caregiver these last 8 years.
The question is ......how much oil did that jar of wash produce ?
Also, pardon my ignorance......what is QWET ?
You seem on the right track. It's probably the alcohol.
Apologies 94xjjohn I have only just realised you quoted me.

I didn't get any oil out of it 😔, it all evaporated when it was in the rice cooker.
Still waiting on the Alcohol Meter and have got a new source for the alcohol so hopefully it will be successful this time around!

Peace
Hey there, sorry for the lag.

It goes solid enough at 10c/50f to stick to a metal utensil. This way, you just have to poke the oil with metal and drag it to the walls of the boiler, then dump the waste water. Colder the better, but 50f is the highest for handling the oil.

Also, I don't boil off ALL the alcohol in the still."
Thats fine. I assume you are distilling without water. With only alcohol, you can stop early, then put that solution in the freezer to dewax. QWET works but takes too long to freeze that amount of alcohol. If you do two 1 minute high agitation washes at room temp, then boil that down to a cup of alcohol, you can then freeze this in an hour rather than 12-24 hours. It will speed up making oil. The waxes survive the distillation. You're better off freezing 1 cup of alcohol rather than quarts or gallons.

Hey there, sorry for the lag.

It goes solid enough at 10c/50f to stick to a metal utensil. This way, you just have to poke the oil with metal and drag it to the walls of the boiler, then dump the waste water. Colder the better, but 50f is the highest for handling the oil.

Thats fine. I assume you are distilling without water. With only alcohol, you can stop early, then put that solution in the freezer to dewax. QWET works but takes too long to freeze that amount of alcohol. If you do two 1 minute high agitation washes at room temp, then boil that down to a cup of alcohol, you can then freeze this in an hour rather than 12-24 hours. It will speed up making oil. The waxes survive the distillation. You're better off freezing 1 cup of alcohol rather than quarts or gallons.
Great experimental research MimiEMu. You are describing a process VASTLY different than what Rick Simpson and 420Motoco's Tim both describe in detail. And while I'm always searching for ways to improve their QWET technique, I am skeptical.
First off, if you do two 1 minute warm high agitation washes, you'll pull out FAR more waxes, chlorophyll and the other contaminants you mention. And after distillation, I only have 2 cups or so of product with a small amount of alcohol in it. It also has very little wax due to QWET, so I don't need to refreeze again.
I guess my skepticism would be lessoned by the test numbers. The oil I make, with 9 years experience and as explained by Rick Simpson and Tim of 420Motoco and with improved Lab equipment, tests regularly between 77% and 79% THC plus a couple of percent other cannabinoids. That's about 80% total cannabinoids. I'm doing batch sizes that yield about 100 ml of oil each.

What percent total cannabinoids does the oil you make with your process contain ? This is the ULTIMATE test. :headbanger:

Good luck and I love ❤️ that you continue to research improvements to our medicine !!
And please MimiEMu, never let questions from "experts" or requests for test data slow your efforts for improvement.
Good job ! :snowboating:

My goodness Mo !! It's so great to hear from you. I felt so suddenly alone (as I'm sure you did !) when Tim passed. He taught me how to save my own life in 2015. After my own success, it seemed foolish to not share the knowledge with other people in need, so I continued to make oil for others. Most folks had gone through their savings to make copayments to western medicine attempts at recovery. I had to beg for help from growers, friends and family (thank you sister, who I ended up treating for asthma and arthritis). I was finally able to successfully treat a few cancer and other ailments free of charge and became known for it. Now growers give me more bud than I need and the local lab tests my oil and bud also free of charge. Donations go to alcohol, cocoa butter for suppositories, and equipment upgrades.
Mo, I pray you are well and am delighted to meet you here and see you carry on Tim's legacy. I owe my life to you two !

:adore:
Thank You just doesn't say enough.
Bless You,
John S.

Back
Top Bottom