How To Make Concentrated Cannabis Oil

Great experimental research MimiEMu. You are describing a process VASTLY different than what Rick Simpson and 420Motoco's Tim both describe in detail. And while I'm always searching for ways to improve their QWET technique, I am skeptical.

First off, if you do two 1 minute warm high agitation washes, you'll pull out FAR more waxes, chlorophyll and the other contaminants you mention. And after distillation, I only have 2 cups or so of product with a small amount of alcohol in it. It also has very little wax due to QWET, so I don't need to refreeze again.

I guess my skepticism would be lessoned by the test numbers. The oil I make, with 9 years experience and as explained by Rick Simpson and Tim of 420Motoco and with improved Lab equipment, tests regularly between 77% and 79% THC plus a couple of percent other cannabinoids. That's about 80% total cannabinoids. I'm doing batch sizes that yield about 100 ml of oil each.

What percent total cannabinoids does the oil you make with your process contain ? This is the ULTIMATE test. :headbanger:

Good luck and I love ❤️ that you continue to research improvements to our medicine !!
And please MimiEMu, never let questions from "experts" or requests for test data slow your efforts for improvement.
Good job ! :snowboating:
Good Morning John,

You are correct. The benefit of RxCE matches QWET yields, the difference is in the time it takes to reach the finish line. QWET is doing two things. The cold is to avoid precipitating waxes and the Quick Wash is to have minimal contact time to avoid penetrating pulling chlorophyl. RxCE does these two functions separately.

The room temp multiple high agitation washes are done with the intent of pulling all non-polar compounds so yes, waxes get dissolved, but that's not a problem, chlorophyll is much more of a problem. The first distillation in water will shed the polar and semi polar compounds. I found waxes survive this distillation. By redissolving in 2x the amount of alcohol, you end up winterizing a few ounces of alcohol rather than quarts or gallons. It takes an hour to freeze that 1/2 cup of alcohol versus quarts & gallons. dewaxing via QWET doesn't have to take 24 hours. There are some losses as a tradeoff to speed. Separating out the polar and semi-polar compounds in distillation forms an emulsion that can pull away some oil. Given I'm using just kitchen gear, no specific tools, a person may have higher transfer losses learning how to handle the various stages.

So the elevator speech to describe RxCE is accurate - "You can now take 2oz dried bud and make decarbed winterized oil in 2-3 hours instead of 2-3 days using only kitchen gear". Its the QWET freeze time and distilling time that slows everything down. RxCE speeds up the process delivering the same yields.

ROSECITY-RICE-151-1026-pg1.jpg

Hey MimiEMu Good Morning,:thanks:
Impressive CBD results. I'd like to mix some of that oil with some of my high THC oil for cancer patients that can't stand getting high. What strain is this test from? Although we're comparing apples to oranges here, total cannabinoids are equal, which means the other 20% of contaminants are the same amount, probably contains the same type of contaminant profile. I would guess that a similar strain would give a similar cannabinoid profile. It does seem like more work than QWET. Just stick the stuff in the freezer the day before and presto, easy peasy. This may be a prime example of "stuck in my ways", I give you that. I would like to see the results of the same strain treated these two different ways. I'm delighted to see your awesome work here MimiEMu !! Thanks so much for all out effort !!
:circle-of-love:

Hey MimiEMU another thing,
After the freezing part, which takes me little to no effort, making 100 ml.. of oil only takes me a few hours. I'm not dealing with such a small amount as two ounces . So yes, distillation takes me longer.....vastly more wash.
We should do the same amount of bud of the same strain and see how they compare. Great goals for future experiments .................
Thanks again MimiEMu.
Peace:love:

Hey MimiEMu Good Morning,:thanks:
Impressive CBD results. I'd like to mix some of that oil with some of my high THC oil for cancer patients that can't stand getting high. What strain is this test from? Although we're comparing apples to oranges here, total cannabinoids are equal, which means the other 20% of contaminants are the same amount, probably contains the same type of contaminant profile. I would guess that a similar strain would give a similar cannabinoid profile. It does seem like more work than QWET. Just stick the stuff in the freezer the day before and presto, easy peasy. This may be a prime example of "stuck in my ways", I give you that. I would like to see the results of the same strain treated these two different ways. I'm delighted to see your awesome work here MimiEMu !! Thanks so much for all out effort !!
:circle-of-love:
Hi John,

What strain is this test from?
I buy my CBD from Buy CBD Online | Flower, Tinctures, Terpenes, and More | Jaxon, the blowout sales, where I can get a pound or two for under $200. That will last me a while. Not sure which one I used, but its typically 12-15% and sometimes with a few points of CBG.

It does seem like more work than QWET.
It depends where you spend all your time. With QWET, you have freeze, wash and filter in the freezer so lots of freezer space is required. Some people have stacked funnels in freezers and tried filtering with buchners in the freezer. The RxCE process is depends on a quart size jar for freezer storage and only for an hour.

But as I said earlier, for RxCE, the speed penalty is some losses due to emulsions in the neighborhood of 10-15%.
So the quality will be there matching near 80% but RxCE might be a little lighter.

which means the other 20% of contaminants

On the 20% contaminates, yep, pretty much the same by using the same solvents. What does everyone use for solvents? Anyone use Acetone or Ethyl Acetate?

Hi MimiEMu,

I do 100ml oil runs.
10% is 10ml.
80% THC oil sells in some places for $100 / ml.
I don't sell it at all, but lets put a street value on it of say $50 / ml.
(I use 200 proof ethyl alcohol from Az.)

The easy math shows putting the pot and alcohol in the freezer the day before the process increases the value of the end product by $500 or more. If it's 15% loss at $100/ml. ........OUTCH !!! :thedoubletake: $1500.00 usd.....
I know this MUST be an exaggeration , but I'm just saying 10 or 15% loss is major.
And there's just the alcohol and pot in the freezer. No funnels or buchners or filtering or whatever.
Take the alcohol and pot out of the freezer and do the process......there is NO more freezer stuff to do.
While the things are in the freezer and while the distillation take place, I go about my life. NO time wasted.
Listen to how stuck in my ways I am !!! I sound like an old fuddy-duddy. :rofl:

Yes I totally understand as yield losses are a major concern for me. I have not done a head to head comparison yet till I sort out all the other areas. The losses I mentioned was to measure all losses including waxes, I've not done an across the isle comparison to RSO/FECO, still got to sort out a couple areas. What I have observed over the past year, my yields are very much in line with what people are reporting when making RSO/FECO at home. Last November I did a large run on 2lbs of nasty 3 yo+ crumbly trim and got somewhere around 60ml. This nasty trim cleaned right up and was good for vaping. I just can't say if I would have got more oil from that run, hard to run comparisons on that source. The CBD store bought stuff will have to be used for than and I get a starting COA.

So, for your 100ml oil run, how many lbs/kg did you start with? How many gallons of solvent went into it? Do you cold strain and filter? How do you recover the solvent (just curious ..)?

Freezing is subject to the 80/20 rule. It will take 80% of the time cooling the last 20% down to -20c/0f. Here's how you can get around that - freeze less alcohol. Do my fast high agitation wash, then boil out alcohol without water as you normally do. When you have about 1/2 cup left, stop the distilling, pour the alcohol and oil in a metal bowl and winterize that. You've effectively have removed the big bulk of alcohol and now can winterize in an hour. Winterizng that metal bowl in a dry ice bath would be easy now. You could reach -50c in less than an hour.

Yes I totally understand as yield losses are a major concern for me. I have not done a head to head comparison yet till I sort out all the other areas. The losses I mentioned was to measure all losses including waxes, I've not done an across the isle comparison to RSO/FECO, still got to sort out a couple areas. What I have observed over the past year, my yields are very much in line with what people are reporting when making RSO/FECO at home. Last November I did a large run on 2lbs of nasty 3 yo+ crumbly trim and got somewhere around 60ml. This nasty trim cleaned right up and was good for vaping. I just can't say if I would have got more oil from that run, hard to run comparisons on that source. The CBD store bought stuff will have to be used for than and I get a starting COA.

So, for your 100ml oil run, how many lbs/kg did you start with? How many gallons of solvent went into it? Do you cold strain and filter? How do you recover the solvent (just curious ..)?

Freezing is subject to the 80/20 rule. It will take 80% of the time cooling the last 20% down to -20c/0f. Here's how you can get around that - freeze less alcohol. Do my fast high agitation wash, then boil out alcohol without water as you normally do. When you have about 1/2 cup left, stop the distilling, pour the alcohol and oil in a metal bowl and winterize that. You've effectively have removed the big bulk of alcohol and now can winterize in an hour. Winterizng that metal bowl in a dry ice bath would be easy now. You could reach -50c in less than an hour.
Good Morning MimiEMu,

I'll start with a question : How do I quote part of a person's post ? Re: So, for your 100ml.........

I get mostly last season's crop leftovers from growers for free. The quality (% THC) determines the AMOUNT of oil I get from a given batch. I regularly use 1.5 to 2 lbs of pot for 100ml near 80% THC oil (77%+). The 200 proof (100%) alcohol gives me the most THC extraction per unit pot. This takes about 2 to 2.5 liters of alcohol (I use a liberal amount) of which I recover about 75 to 80%. It depends on how clean the bud is. Trim (close) takes more alcohol and produces less oil, but is still well worth the effort. I do two 3 minute (timed) cold washes with medium agitation. The 4 or so filtration steps are NOT done cold as the extraction is when cold is required to reduce contaminant extraction. I recover the alcohol with a water still from Amazon. I use a scale during distillation to know when to stop the process with enough alcohol + oil to pour easily but not so much to waste too much expensive alcohol during boil off and decarboxilation. Keep in mind that as soon as 200 proof alcohol is exposed to air, it starts to absorb water from the air. Therefore, every time you reuse the same alcohol, it is a lower proof and you can expect a lower THC% (also total cannabinoid reduced) oil. 200 proof alcohol can only be produced in a zero air (Lab) environment.

Hope this helps. :Namaste:
Johnnyoilseed

Good Morning MimiEMu,

I'll start with a question : How do I quote part of a person's post ? Re: So, for your 100ml.........

I get mostly last season's crop leftovers from growers for free. The quality (% THC) determines the AMOUNT of oil I get from a given batch. I regularly use 1.5 to 2 lbs of pot for 100ml near 80% THC oil (77%+). The 200 proof (100%) alcohol gives me the most THC extraction per unit pot. This takes about 2 to 2.5 liters of alcohol (I use a liberal amount) of which I recover about 75 to 80%. It depends on how clean the bud is. Trim (close) takes more alcohol and produces less oil, but is still well worth the effort. I do two 3 minute (timed) cold washes with medium agitation. The 4 or so filtration steps are NOT done cold as the extraction is when cold is required to reduce contaminant extraction. I recover the alcohol with a water still from Amazon. I use a scale during distillation to know when to stop the process with enough alcohol + oil to pour easily but not so much to waste too much expensive alcohol during boil off and decarboxilation. Keep in mind that as soon as 200 proof alcohol is exposed to air, it starts to absorb water from the air. Therefore, every time you reuse the same alcohol, it is a lower proof and you can expect a lower THC% (also total cannabinoid reduced) oil. 200 proof alcohol can only be produced in a zero air (Lab) environment.

Hope this helps. :Namaste:
Johnnyappleseed
It is so good to have you back my friend! I'm reading all of this with renewed energy.

Hi guys been getting the emails and having fun reading them (like old times) shout out to Mo, John.

It is so good to have you back my friend! I'm reading all of this with renewed energy.
Such kind words Lady Cannafan. As you know, I recently lost my best friend Edith to Lymphoma after my best efforts for over a year of treatments with CCO. It was such a heart breaker that I considered quitting cannabis caregiving. I felt like a failure !!
That was when I remembered the energy I had when Tim of 420Motoco was holding my hand as I learned how to save my life. I knew even though Tim is gone, other motivated people would be here to reanimate me. And I even found Mo of 420Motoco was still checking in ! Wow, what a deal......Lady Cannafan, Mo and others still here after all these years !

I am here now also with renewed energy thanks to you all. AND I just met 2 new cancer patients this morning. I pray to God to help me bring them relief and healing. I work hard to make Tim and Mo proud. Please, to all reading this post, strive to learn these lessons so that YOU TOO can feel the exhilaration, the magic of playing a part of saving another human's life. Remember my lesson......as imperfect humans, we will fail from time to time. It's not how many times we fail, it's how many times we get back up and try our best again. You all wouldn't be here if you weren't trying your best......thank you from my heart. :love:

:Namaste:
Johnnyoilseed.

Cannafan!!! Wow good to hear from you, wasn't sure if that was you (lady Cannafan)
Been taking CCO for 6 years now, making my own CCO and putting it in to capsules so I can adjust the strength as needed.
Good to hear from you and I will stay around

I am the healthiest sick guy around thank you Motoco & Mo and you :)

Hi guys been getting the emails and having fun reading them (like old times) shout out to Mo, John.
Thank You Oiler.....what a treat to read your post. You were such a great encouragement to me in earlier years.....you're just so damn positive. I love you like a brother !! :high-five:

Cannafan!!! Wow good to hear from you, wasn't sure if that was you (lady Cannafan)
Been taking CCO for 6 years now, making my own CCO and putting it in to capsules so I can adjust the strength as needed.

I'm with ya dude. I am still tumor free, and I'm about to get back onto my oil schedule now that I am retired with no worries of drug testing. I will need to dig out my capsule equipment. I hope the capsules don't go bad or dry up, they have been stored a while.
So happy you are a healthy guy, despite the sick. :) Looking forward to you being around for sure!

Btw, it was a surprise to see that oil emoticon I made so many years ago on your siggy. Glad you kept it there.

Such kind words Lady Cannafan. As you know, I recently lost my best friend Edith to Lymphoma after my best efforts for over a year of treatments with CCO. It was such a heart breaker that I considered quitting cannabis caregiving. I felt like a failure !!
That was when I remembered the energy I had when Tim of 420Motoco was holding my hand as I learned how to save my life. I knew even though Tim is gone, other motivated people would be here to reanimate me. And I even found Mo of 420Motoco was still checking in ! Wow, what a deal......Lady Cannafan, Mo and others still here after all these years !

I am here now also with renewed energy thanks to you all. AND I just met 2 new cancer patients this morning. I pray to God to help me bring them relief and healing. I work hard to make Tim and Mo proud. Please, to all reading this post, strive to learn these lessons so that YOU TOO can feel the exhilaration, the magic of playing a part of saving another human's life. Remember my lesson......as imperfect humans, we will fail from time to time. It's not how many times we fail, it's how many times we get back up and try our best again. You all wouldn't be here if you weren't trying your best......thank you from my heart. :love:

Johnnyappleseed.
Inspirational.

I was gone a few years, a nasty scare with the feds. We are legal now. WHEW!

I'm with Lady Cannafan.....seeing that tacking emoticon was like old home week. Thanks Oiler !
Glad you're legal now Lady C. It makes all the difference in the world. We still need to be wary of the Feds though.

Young Lady Cannafan, We went legal as well, Crazy but enjoying it!! Gratz on your retirement now get that cco going so you can stay healthy and help people out.

John!! Really good to hear from you!! Keep doing good with folks and tell them to get on here so they can read and help them-selves as well as you helping them (don't put all of your energy out, leave some for yourself). Yea John it was fun to see my old emoticon as well.

Hey Mo?? if you read this please jump in and let us know how you are getting along, Love & hugs

Yes Mo, I second what Oiler said. Please let us know how you are, what you're doing, do you make/take oil now ?
We all love you and miss you so much. :hug:

Johnnyoilseed

Well Chit! I dug out my bag of capsules and humidity over the years apparently did them in. They are all stuck together and yukky looking.
What size capsules are you using?

Back
Top Bottom