Hypo Hippy's first indoor grow

T.S.....thanks for those links. Very interesting. I think I like the idea of the FIM technique. Anything that will improve the number of growing tips can't hurt (can it)? Have you ever tried it and if so, what was the outcome? Once again, thanks for all the advice....this site is awesome!

Yo Tiger....yeah I have looked at your stuff and it looks sweet. Nice work my man! LST reminds me of bonsai in that you are almost training the plants in the same way. We are only 24 days in and have some time to decide what to do with the plants, but they are growing like proverbial weeds....lol. I also like the thread you started for strain identification. Since I am growing three mystery seeds that were freebies I am trying to figure out what they are. Pretty sure one is a skunk (since already started smelling skunky at 21 days and the wide leaves look like the pics I have seen of the skunks. See what you guys think. Here is a pic of her.

DSC001903.JPG

Thanks for stopping by.

T.S.....thanks for those links. Very interesting. I think I like the idea of the FIM technique. Anything that will improve the number of growing tips can't hurt (can it)? Have you ever tried it and if so, what was the outcome? Once again, thanks for all the advice....this site is awesome!

Yup, I've tried it. Mixed results. As in the old Operation game commercial ("It takes a very steady hand" :laughtwo:). I sometimes managed fine and sometimes... Well, I've been known to FIM on the FIMming.

But that was due to operator failure. Fact is, once I learned about training the top of the plant to be the bottom and saw that the plant - which, like plants everywhere, had evolved to seek the sunlight - had built-in mechanisms to ensure that parts of the plant grew upwards (becoming the new "tops," if you will, which could then be treated the same way, which would send new "tops" seeking the sun, etc.), well, it was just a case of me discovering the method that worked best... for ME. As in many things in life, YMMV, of course.

I'd rather see you learn the various ins and outs of several different methods and try them out yourself under controlled conditions (IOW, not trying to do 15 different things with each of five different plants, but, instead, having identical clones growing under the same conditions with only one change at a time so you can actually experience the different results of each on an equal basis. That's experimentation as opposed to "random FUBAR guessing."

You might find that what works best for you is different than what works best for me, for him, for her, etc. And at that point you'll know it in your bones.

All I or others can do is give you the benefit of our grows - call it a working background.

Looks like you've got the stuff between your ears to take that and grow - literally and figuratively! Best of luck in doing so.

Skunky, huh? Got me to thinking. A plant that reeks of "skunk" is probably going to encourage most animals to exit stage left. But I could see it not working all that well on skunks, lol. It could either draw skunks looking to mate or skunks looking to challenge & mark their territory, I'd think.

So... You reckon that anyone has ever tried fertilizing their grows with skunk urine and/or manure? <GRIN>

Yeah. "That boy's OUT there... But I bet the scenery looks real nice."

Hypo Hippy saw your post over at MountainHigh's place and thought I'd step in and take a look see myself! Sorry about the ballast, hope they take care of you quickly.

On another note to help you with this site in getting more hits or visits please follow the instructions at the following tutorial to 'fix' you signature below. That way your signature will say "Hypo Hippy's First Indoor Grow" instead of what you got.. I did the same mistake as you when I started:How to Add Links to Signatures - 420 Magazine

Good luck my friend, You've got a lot of expert growers visiting already (not me, that's for sure). Reps to you for having a great start and for the will to learn!

I'll be visiting!

thanks woodsman i think i did what you said,im 66 but i still learn something every day,really appreciate the help:thanks:

Try it again, I had the same problem, but if you read his instructions and follow every step it will work. Remember to highlight where he says to. You can preview it I believe prior to submitting it. I'm not there yet but I'm plugging along at almost 53

Hey, Hypo - let a 61 year old help out here. Erase what you have there and try again. Copy your journal title (the URL), click onto the link icon, and hit CTL+V.
Now, notice a couple of things.
1) There is a beginning and ending [URL}...[/URL} and what you have presently is missing the beginning element so it's not working.
2) Your journal title is written out twice in the code that is printed out, and the second iteration is highlighted in blue. If you leave this default text, your journal URL will show up in your signature - not what you want.
So - start typing what you want your signature to say, and the default blue part will disappear and your desired text will appear in the proper position in the XML code.

Thanks for the link. Man my head is swimming with all the helpful hints and techniques floating around in it....lol. Anyhow, very nice grow you got going. I like you use of LST and intend on doing some to a couple of my plants tomorrow. I think I will try FIMing one of the plants to see how that fares as well. Thanks for all your help....you guys are AWESOME!

A little update on our grow. After much studying and debating (and gnashing of teeth and rending of garmets) we decided to start some horizontal training on our "girls." Thanks to you guys for all the advice and links. It is amazing how quick these plants will turn after being manipulated. It is literally a matter of minutes and you can see the tips hungrily looking up. After only two days back under the 400W MH it is also amazing how much healthier and happier they look. Fed em all a dose of Grow Big and a drop of Superthrive and commenced to bondage. Here are a couple of shots of the girls for your viewing pleasure.

DSC002071.JPG

Daisy...our suspected skunk variant......look at those photosynthesis generators! The only plant not being LST'd but she is so squatty and bushy going to wait and see what to do with her.

DSC002061.JPG

Broomhilda...our weak-sister white widow getting her first taste of some very gentle LST. Her lower stalk got nearly broken in half the day we transplanted so she is behind the power curve. Taking it gently

DSC002021.JPG

Grow room set-up with the newly added side lights...7300 and 6500 2-ft florescents. Don't know how much it helps, but can't really be hurting anything. The "girls" are in varying stages of LST (we just started after learning from you experts here on 420)

DSC002041.JPG

Matlida...one of our question-mark free seeds in her first LST maneuver. She looks almost exactly like our two white widows so maybe we lucked up.

DSC001982.JPG

Lucille...our best looking widow in her second day of LST. Not a great photo as far as lighting, but a pretty good profile of her shape.

Nice job on the LST! I am glad you decide on a way to go. :cheer:

I just wanted to say one thing about your LST and this my be a moot point as nothing may ever happen, but LST generally requires you anchor the base of the stalk from the opposite side of the direction you are pulling. The reason is you want the stress on the stalk, not the root system. I have no personal evidence of this being a problem, but was a fundamental in every "method" explanation so I just do it, makes sense to me.

Anyway brother, you take care of those pretty little girls and they will take care of you! :smokin:

:peace: from the mountains. +rep

Mountain High....yeah I noticed that too, but when bending the plants they were gently coaxed over without any "apparent" stress on the stalk/roots. The one plant I did anchor the base of the stalk was Broomhilda, who was accidently bent over almost at a 90 degree angle by getting bumped into by something the day they were transplanted into the 3 gal pots. I will probably go back and do some more anchoring of the bases cause I don't want to screw anything up.

It is amazing how fast the plants respond to this technique. The tips turn towards the light almost within minutes....literally. Anyhow, thanks for stopping by and thanks for all the help.

Yo Medicine.....took your advice and went ahead and stabilized the bases of the plants. Anybody out there have the definitive word on how close to put a 400W MH from the tops of the plants? Currently, have the light at 18 inches and the temp is solid at 80 degrees. Would like to optimize the lumens, but don't want to F anything up.....know what I mean?

Back
Top Bottom