I am IHateBugs and I hate bugs!

ihatebugs

420 Member
Hey there, fellow cultivators! 👋 My journey into the world of indoor cannabis cultivation is just beginning, and I must admit, it's been quite the adventure so far. I'm a complete novice when it comes to growing cannabis indoors. As you can imagine, the learning curve has been steep, and I'm navigating through the process with wide-eyed curiosity and a dash of nervous excitement.

One of the current challenges I'm facing involves dealing with potential pests. I could really use some seasoned advice from the veterans here. Looking forward to becoming an active part of this community and, hopefully, turning my indoor cultivation venture into a thriving success!

Hey there, fellow cultivators! 👋 My journey into the world of indoor cannabis cultivation is just beginning, and I must admit, it's been quite the adventure so far. I'm a complete novice when it comes to growing cannabis indoors. As you can imagine, the learning curve has been steep, and I'm navigating through the process with wide-eyed curiosity and a dash of nervous excitement.

One of the current challenges I'm facing involves dealing with potential pests. I could really use some seasoned advice from the veterans here. Looking forward to becoming an active part of this community and, hopefully, turning my indoor cultivation venture into a thriving success!
Welcome to 420 @ihatebugs

The best you can do is keep a sharp eye on your plants and act quickly as soon as you notice any bites, marks, spots etc
Avoid moving the plants outside>inside and don't go into the grow room if you've been in the garden all day - prevention is often the only cure

Welcome to the Forum. What type of potential pests are you planning on dealing with actually. Plenty of info here.

I always have problems with red spider mites. No matter how much I disinfect the room, they keep coming back. Do you know what the best possible preventive measure is? I've already tried neem oil and potassium soap, but they don't help much. Thank you very much for the welcome and help!

Also, I've created another post with one of the insects I just found; I'm leaving the link here in case anyone recognizes it.

What type of insect is this? Is it dangerous?

Thanks!

I always have problems with red spider mites. No matter how much I disinfect the room, they keep coming back. Do you know what the best possible preventive measure is? I've already tried neem oil and potassium soap, but they don't help much. Thank you very much for the welcome and help!

Also, I've created another post with one of the insects I just found; I'm leaving the link here in case anyone recognizes it.

Thanks!
@Sierra Natural Science are sponsors and have a solution for Spider Mite control

The insect looks like a harmless fungus gnat [sciarid fly] - nice looking bud

Welcome Bugs!

I love bugs even when a young boy. Remember telling my mother there was a spider in the corner and told my mother who went and got the vacuum cleaner and sucked it up and from that point on learned to put them outside myself. Termites and cockroaches are a different story though. As an outside grower sometimes will handpick bugs such as leafhoppers 50 become too carried away on a plant but most of the time it is merely cosmetic and not harmful to the actual plant.

Used to do a lot of painting and on what was told to paint was a lot of the guinea paper wasps under the eaves and instead of using bug spray used a broom to knock their nest down so I could paint without hurting them, yeah kind of weird ain't I haha.

Welcome to 420 Magazine @ihatebugs

Do you grow in soil or water?
Do you have any images you would like to share?

Here's some helpful info: Welcome New Members - Please Read Before Posting

Here is some information if you would like to start a grow journal How to Make a Grow Journal

If you want to see want other growers are doing, here's that link.

This is where you place your grow journal.

Journals in Progress: Current and Ongoing

And, after you have over 50 posts you can vote and enter our contests to win free grow stuff from our sponsors.

420 Contests: Win Cool 420 Prizes

Stay safe, and grow well my friend,

Tok..

Welcome Bugs!

I love bugs even when a young boy. Remember telling my mother there was a spider in the corner and told my mother who went and got the vacuum cleaner and sucked it up and from that point on learned to put them outside myself. Termites and cockroaches are a different story though. As an outside grower sometimes will handpick bugs such as leafhoppers 50 become too carried away on a plant but most of the time it is merely cosmetic and not harmful to the actual plant.

Used to do a lot of painting and on what was told to paint was a lot of the guinea paper wasps under the eaves and instead of using bug spray used a broom to knock their nest down so I could paint without hurting them, yeah kind of weird ain't I haha.
I like insects as well. I love spiders! I keep them around in and out of my house. Roaches are gross. Only spiders I kill are the brown recluse. Any black widows become my personal property. They're safer to my environment when they're living in a jar.

1000000453.jpg
this is a great bug to keep around the house, looks creepy, gets big, however they're the best at keeping actual pest bugs at bay. They eat other insects. It's called a scutigera coleoptera.

Hello ihatebugs welcome to 420Magazine.com. We who grow cannabis plants also hate these pests.
@Sierra Natural Science are sponsors and have a solution for Spider Mite control

The insect looks like a harmless fungus gnat [sciarid fly] - nice looking bud
Fungus gnats eat cannabis plant roots.

Welcome to 420Magazine my friend. :welcome:
I use @Sierra Natural Science products to help keep my garden free of anything unwanted.
Lots of great products, 209 spray is great for pests.
They are a sponsor so you get a discount.
Take care. :passitleft:

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

The one I watch out for is the common "Two-Spotted Spider Mite". It is so small that most growers cannot see them without a loupe or enlarging lens on a camera. They are so small that usually their infestation is not noticeable until they have done damage to leaves and their webs are covering the top flower buds.

Spray the plants till they drip like they would after a rain. Tops and bottoms of leaves and all growing tips. Those things can hide in the small spaces in-between the tiny new leaves that have just started growing. Recommended spraying is to spray at least once a day for 3 or more days as a way to break their reproductive cycle. The spray will kill off the mites but their eggs are still getting ready to hatch. When the eggs hatch the new mite will become mature enough to start laying eggs in several days starting the cycle over. Spray to kill the mites and keep at it long enough to kill off the entire new generation of freshly hatched insects. Follow up with a once a week total spraying of all plants.

I have had the occasional Red Clover Mite show up and wander around but they always seem to be gone in a day. Those are the ones that are blood red and large enough to see. Their preferred plants are clover and field & turf grasses. They have not hung around my indoor or outdoor plants so I stopped worrying about them and concentrate on doing something about the Two-Spotted variety.

Thanks!

I deal with a few insects. Stink bugs which don’t do any harm. I catch them and put them outside. Lady bugs and they’re nice to see. I have seen a few gnats. But I kill them. Had a spider mite infestation once. Things are a pain. Brought a plant in from outside once and it had caterpillars on it. Almost killed half my small vegging plants before I caught them.

1000000453.jpg
this is a great bug to keep around the house, looks creepy, gets big, however they're the best at keeping actual pest bugs at bay. They eat other insects. It's called a scutigera coleoptera.
Perhaps just keeping the humidity and checking the soil will do?)) it's not that easy to get pests indoors...
Man that freaking alien thing looks creepy as fk

it's not that easy to get pests indoors...
But once they are there the pest insects tend to breed at out of control rates. Using the common Spider Mite as an example...there rarely are any natural predators indoors so their population has no checks and balances. Nothing in the grow area to catch & eat the mites and nothing that will eat the eggs.

Many common household spiders will catch mites but if the gardener or significant other is removing or killing off every regular spider they see there is nothing to work on the breeding mite population.

When growing a plant or two outdoors I will put potted Geraniums and Rosemary plants in the area. Those plants tend to repel Spider Mites and any Mites that start to feed on my plants do not last long because I let the spiders and any other insect do its thing.

If I have a pest problem on any of my vegetables I only spray the plant affected. None of that spraying the whole area or yard. Gotta leave as many predators as possible.

Tip: Do not plant Marigolds near outdoor Cannabis plants. Many insects are repelled by Marigold plants but not mites. They are attracted to Marigolds so the best thing is to plant them further away. The mites will go to that plant or plants and then it is easy to do a selective spraying to kill the ones that have moved there. The theory is that there will be fewer mites who wander over to the Cannabis plants.

People sometimes laugh at my tents setup on top of metal filing cabinets cause I have to use a small ladder to check on them. But guess what they don’t get- spider mites.
If you’re already infested it’s really hard to break their cycle without a break in the growing.
Pretty sure they don’t even need a partner to start a family either so if there’s even 1 left, that’s too many.
If you deal with outdoor plants at all you’re likely bringing them in on your clothing or shoes.
Ladybugs, praying mantis and diatomaceous earth will help but starting at 0 mites is the hardest part.

They sound disgusting, I've not ever seen one. Some of the other posts describe them as little red spots? My 1st thought is a velvet mite aka love bug.
Probably two different mites.
"Hey Google.." 😁
That's a good ideal! Keeping them further from the ground is definitely a way to keep them from infections.
Indians wouldn't bury their dead (darkness, damp and alone underground for the bugs to eat; so depressing), they would lift them on wooden scaffolding so they would be closer to the sun, the air and under God. 💛

Back
Top Bottom