I need your experienced eyes Friends!

basssc

420 Member
Hello Friends... I have 2 female plants and they may have entered the flowering period accidentally
frown.png
Normally, i have a growing room but I had a family guest and I had to hide plants to another room for 10 days. In that room, there are only 2 white small bulbs. Normally i am using full spectrum growing led light ( i upload the photos) The bulbs were always open.... I did this because i wanted to plants just keep alive, stand by mode. Also, i didn't give water for 10 days. Now i put them back to my original growing room but i suspect plants leaf color... They are like they are in the flowering stage
frown.png
They need still time to grow
frown.png
Also, they have grown somehow. They were shorter,i remember. I am uploading the photos here... Can you examine with your experience eyes, please? Are they still in the growing stage? Thx in advance

IMG_20220216_212544.jpg

IMG_20220216_212602.jpg

IMG_20220216_212728_N.jpg

IMG_20220216_212738.jpg

IMG_20220216_212746.jpg

IMG_20220216_212755.jpg

IMG_20220216_212802.jpg

IMG_20220216_212851_N.jpg

IMG_20220216_212857_NN.jpg

IMG_20220216_213204.jpg

Looks to me they are still vegging not flowering. They white hairs I see looks normal for maturing in veg.

Those are pre-flowers and are perfectly normal. They're just showing you that they're girls.

The leaves are a little pale. How much and what are you feeding them? They look hungry to me.

Plant looks like its still in veg to me.

The turned down leaf tips however(90 degree angle) is a sign of too much nitrogen. I would suggest reducing the N in your next few feedings a little bit, (not too much).

Other than that everything looks really good.

The plants look just fine and should regain good leaf color in your normal grow room. Even if they were entering flowering phase, they will return to veg with your veg light schedule or photoperiod lighting. Good luck with your grow!

I did this because i wanted to plants just keep alive, stand by mode.
I know what you were trying to do. I also have suggestions of what would have been better to keep the plants in stand-by mode.

The bulbs were always open....
Just my thoughts but it would have been better to put the plants as close to the lights as possible without them becoming injured from the heat. Then put the lights on a timer and have the lights come on (open) for 11 hours then go off for 5 hours and then on for 2 hours and then off for 6 hours. This is called the Gas Lantern Routine. Doing this with the light schedule will keep them from flowering because it is the length of uninterrupted continuous dark that induces the hormones that control flowering. It is not the total number of hours of darkness out of every 24 hour day.

However, since you were using two weak lights it might not matter much. It would work much better if you were using your grow light in that room, however.

Now i put them back to my original growing room but i suspect plants leaf color... They are like they are in the flowering stage
frown.png
They need still time to grow
frown.png
Also, they have grown somehow. They were shorter,i remember.
I am thinking that the color changed for two reasons. You did not water for 10 days which would slow down the ability of the plants to draw nutrients from the soil. Also, if plants do not get enough light they naturally will loose their green color.

Also, they have grown somehow. They were shorter,i remember.
Two things will explain what might have been going on. Just because you had family guest over does not mean that the plants will stop growing until the guest has left.:) They kept on growing until the soil dried out when the plants would have started to go into stand-by mode. The other thing that has to be considered is that the two lights in the room were weak. The plants responded to getting the weak light by trying to grow closer to the lights so they will have grown.

No matter what, your plants look healthy and they do not look like they went into flowering stage.

Just my thoughts but it would have been better to put the plants as close to the lights as possible without them becoming injured from the heat. Then put the lights on a timer and have the lights come on (open) for 11 hours then go off for 5 hours and then on for 2 hours and then off for 6 hours. This is called the Gas Lantern Routine. Doing this with the light schedule will keep them from flowering because it is the length of uninterrupted continuous dark that induces the hormones that control flowering. It is not the total number of hours of darkness out of every 24 hour day.
It looks like the lights in that room couldn't be moved, and they were up high in the corners of the room by the ceiling.

I learned that "Gas Lantern" is not necessary to keep plants from flowering. All you need to do is blast with some light one or more times in the middle of the night, on a timer. This is called "night interruption" and it works. All that's needed is a very short blast. I'm using a couple minutes worth, 3x in the night – midnight, 2am, 4am.

What happens is that the phytochrome hormone responsible for initiating flowering gets "reset". This hormone is called Phytochrome Red (Pr). Pr levels are controlled by another hormone, Phytochrome Far Red (Pfr). Normally during darkness, Pfr is converted to Pr. As Pr builds up over some days, flowering will initiate. When the plants get a blast of "far red" light, Pr is immediately converted back to Pfr, like a toggle switch. All you need is a low-wattage, full spectrum LED that includes this "far red" light, which is between 760 and 800 nm wavelength. Unless the whole plant is able to get this blast of light, parts of the plant will go into flower! This often happens on my plants as the very lowest branches don't get enough of the blast... but it's not a problem, as those branches don't produce decent buds anyway.

It looks like the lights in that room couldn't be moved, and they were up high in the corners of the room by the ceiling.
I noticed that the lights looked like they are mounted to the walls. I did not mean to move the lights closer to the plants. I was suggesting moving the plants closer. Maybe putting them on a table and if still not close enough then putting them on a box which is on the table.

This 'night interruption' routine is interesting and I am finding some web pages which discuss it. Most of the web pages are mentioning are still mentioning an interruption of longer than a couple of minutes, though. I will have to read more on the method as time permits.

On a related note I believe it was Ed Rosenthal who wrote about a season he was working with an outdoor grower in California. As fall was coming they wanted to control the start of flowering so they used those large spotlights on trailers and pulled them through the field. Every night they would shine the light on an area for whatever period of time they had selected. Then would move the lights down the row and do it again. When ready they stopped and let all the plants start to flower.

@SmokingWings "Night Interruption" is the real deal, I assure you. I found out first about "Gas Lantern", and then kept digging because I needed a way to control flowering that was doable for my off-grid, low-power situation (solar power).

I have both Rosenthal's current book and the Trichome Technologies book, and I think Rosenthal is where I got a lot of details about Night Interruption and how the phytochrome hormones work. In one of the books, maybe it was Rosenthal, he showed a photo of people walking through a field at night carrying electric lights on poles!

I've heard from multiple sources that all it takes is a mere bright flash of light over the whole plant. I just do 2 minutes to be on the safe side, using cheap 13w daylight spectrum LED bulbs on a digital timer. It's worked perfectly for me, through many harvests.

ditto showing gender

The bad thing about current lights is the “up light” factor. Sounds silly I know but light should aim down to hit directly on the foliage…

I’m going out on a limb to say….. reflected light will never be as good as direct light but I also love a good caveat too. It would be best if you could move the lights but if that’s not possible then perhaps a reflector may help.

"Night Interruption" is the real deal, I assure you.
I am not doubting you at all. Within minutes after I read your mention and explanation of 'night interruption' (in msg #8) I was doing google searches. There are some really very well written web sites explaining it as it applies to the florist trade. What is written in those article does have implications to the growing & flowering of Cannabis.

I might even try it one day. But, no promises.:)

@SmokingWings Yep, I checked, it was Rosenthal's current "Marijuana Grower's Handbook" where I got most of the info about how the phytochrome hormones work, and only needed a short blast of light, and the photo of the person walking through the field at night with lights on a pole. I'm guessing that back in the day, for "Gas Lantern", the science wasn't in yet about phytochrome Pr and Pfr, or at least hadn't reached the cannabis world yet.

I'm guessing that back in the day, for "Gas Lantern", the science wasn't in yet about phytochrome Pr and Pfr, or at least hadn't reached the cannabis world yet.
Sounds right. I was under the impression that the method started in the later part of the 1800s as cities got larger and more people who did not have access to gardens wanted flowers for special events and holidays. Florists could control the flowering so they would have flowers to ship to market.

Back
Top Bottom