Icemud's 2018 Journal: Pine Tar Kush Pheno Hunt & More

Sounds good Icemud! I'll be watchin...
I think one of the next seeds i pop will be from CSI Humboldt. Called "Three Queens"= White Fire43 × Bubba Kush. Also got some Chem, and Silver Haze×Agoo

Wow those all sound great!!! I have so many seeds now to choose from... I definitely will be popping the CSI Humboldt Pine Tar Kush seeds next. Currently I have hazeman's sour grapes in veg...

Hey all!!!

Well I almost have finished de-seeding my plants... For some reason this batch has taken me much much longer to de-seed than previous ones, but I have all plants de-seeded except for 2 more and then I will be done.

As soon as I finish de-seeding those, which should be by Wednesday, then I will post some photos of all of the haul/harvest, as well as my "notes" on the Deep Chunk phenos. I definitely need to build one of those vacuum boxes where the seeds fall down, and the other stuff gets sucked up... would make this a 1 day project instead of many day project....LOL.

Hope everyone is doing well!!! Updates coming mid week :)

Alright alright.. gather round gather round!!!!

Here are the final results of my Deep Chunk Seed Project:

Here is a little bit about Deep Chunk: I did not write this so to give credit where credit is due:
(Originally Posted on Reddit by HeavyDayzeCollective) Written about X18 but mentions some history of Deep Chunk
This strain is a homage to the tribesman of Pakistan and the surrounding areas of the Khyber pass. The history of this strain dates back to our friend Tom Hill and his mentor The Chemist (TC). The name itself is actually not derived from anything other than scientific notation.

TC gained all his seeds from a time before the hippy trail even existed (pre 60s), and in doing so was able to acquire the most pristine, untouched genetics on earth. TC decided that all of his lines (many many variations of land races back in the day before they were hybridized, ie) several different afghan land race lines) named simply by scientific notation of X1, X2, X3… and so on.

Tom has remained fairly secretive about most of the unreleased strains however we know that Pine Tar Kush (a fabled discontinued Tom Hill strain) was originally labelled X16 and Deep chunk is rumored to stem from x19....

So next, we will move into my impression of Deep Chunk overall....
Well I have to say, Deep Chunk is a pheno hunters dream, as all 5 female plants of mine had different heights, different terp profiles, different levels of trichomes, different levels of leafy buds...etc.. needless to say, there was a TON of variation between the different phenotypes. This is great for those who have a large grow, and a lot of time dedicated to finding a certain pheno(s) and working the line to be more stable, however Deep Chunk aka (Hazeman's Monkey Balls) is definitely NOT for the home grower who wants to buy some seeds and grow some dank nugs. These definitely are rather "unworked" in terms of strain consistency. Now whether thats a good thing or bad thing really depends on the grower, and the growers goal, but for me, it was interesting, and should offer a ton of variety to search for later down the road in the crosses I made.

Now, to the individual notes I take while flowering for each pheno: I do this so that years down the road, when I happen to look back and wonder the differences between the phenos, I can reference my notes and have a good Idea of what is what.

Deep Chunk Seed Project 2018-2019
Summary:

Seeds purchased from Hazeman Seeds at Infinity Genetics under the name “monkey balls”. I spoke with hazeman and he told me that these are made from a selected phenotype of Tom Hill’s deep chunk stock.
8 seeds were popped into water, within 24 hours 7 of 8 seeds cracked and were put into soil. The remaining seed I was using a knife to gently assist with opening and the seed popped out of my hand and was lost.
After 3-5 days all 7 seeds put into soil sprouted.

Males:
2 Males and 5 females were the result of the seeds. Both males were used in the open pollination.
Both males were approximately the same growth, with very similar structure, one was taller than the other by about 1’. Both males had a strong terpene smell but each was slightly different. Both males produced tons of pollen, and were removed from the tent around day 25 flowering. Some pollen was gathered and stored in a ziplock bag.

Females:

Pheno #2
This phenotype is middle of the road in terms of all qualities. This is a midsize phenol, right in the middle of all 5 females in terms of height. Bud formation is fairly good, not as good as phenol 4 or 5 but not as bad as phenol 7 or 8. Trichome formation is not great but terpene profile is fairly strong. Terpenes on this smell pungent, very similar to Pheno 4 where it is a chemically new carpet skunky smell with deep sweet undertones. This phenol also has another smell that I can’t describe, similar to a carmel or honey smell. Not the best phenotype but not the worst, most likely will produce some good progeny, but not the selected one.

After Harvest report: This phenotype was very leafy despite the buds looking large they were quite airy and leafy. The Terpenes in this one were fairly strong, but I would say 6 out of 10 for pungency and could have been much stronger. The terpene profile is a mix of a popcorn butter, pine and a skunky 90's kushy smell, similar to mids of the 90's. Nothing extremely special about this pheno, in terms of terps. Most seeds were mature meaning a faster finishing pheno, and very large seeds.

Pheno #4 This phenotype is the 2nd tallest phenol, and has the 2nd best bud structure out of all 5 females. Trichome development is the best on this phenotype where the sugar leaf edges are coated with resin and even the fan leaves are developing a fair amount of resin. The terpene profile is probably a 7 out of 10 and has a very interesting smell, almost a smell of a new carpet mixed with a skunky undertone, and a slight sweet root smell. Best smelling phenotype and also a choice select phenotype. Not as good formation of buds as Phenotype 5, but best phenol for smell and trichomes. Late in flowering This pheno developed a “banana” and is a hermie. Definitely a bummer because this one had the best smell out of it. Not the breeding one.

After Harvest Report: This phenotype has a lot of possibility in future pheno hunts, and despite the single banana that formed, the buds were absolutely coated in trichomes, and the terpenes were screaming at me loud! The terp profile on this one is a pinsol/pine with a turpentine/kerosene smell, with a slight hint of fruit and rubber. Very very appealing scent. The only drawback to this pheno, other than the banana, is that the yield is fairly low compared to other phenotypes, however the bud to leaf ratio was actually much better than most of the other phenotypes.

Pheno #5 This is the tallest phenotype by far, over 1’ taller than the rest of the phenotypes. The developing bud structure is probably the best out of all 5 phenotypes in terms of an appealing bud. This phenotype also has the 2nd best amount of trichome development as of mid flowering (day 33). Upon a bud rub the terpene profile is not extremely potent, but probably a 6 out of 10. Hints of garlic, skunky with a undertone of a tart citrus seem to make up the profile, mixed with a hint of stinky armpit smell. Beautiful bud structure and formation of stacking and seems to be the largest yielder. (choice select phenotype). This is the choice select phenotype late in flowering. This is the only one that has perfect bud formation, lots of yield, lots of trichomes, strong terpenes and has promise.

After Harvest report: Phenotype 5 was the select phenotype for resin production, best bud structure, best looking plant, and probably highest yielding (although I didn't measure/weigh them) however the terpene level was much less pungent than other phenotypes. On a scale of 1 to 10 of strength of terpenes, I would say this was a 7 where the others were around 8-9. The blend of terpenes though was very interesting but very hard to pick out something it related to, or smelled like. The terpenes had a slight garlic smell, mixed with a sweaty armpit, with a hint of cherries, and almost a fresh mens collogne smell. The blend of terpenes was very well blended where no smell overpowered the other, and overall a very good smelling plant, but the strength of the terpenes seemed to be less pungent. I think this pheno will definitely be a winner for breeding as overall the qualities were great.

Pheno #7 This phenotype is the shortest of all 5 females and is about 6” shorter than the middle sized phenotypes that make up the majority. This phenotype has been slower to form buds, and the buds are very leafy and not very appealing as of mid flowering. Trichome formation is low and upon a rub of the buds, the terp profile is very weak (probably a 3 of 10 in terms of strength) and the terp smell is hard to detect, but smells similar to a fresh root pulled out of the soil, or a carrot. Very little smell and not a choice phenotype.

After Harvest Report: Surprisingly after dried the buds on this pheno are quite nice, and yielded fairly well. The sugar leaves actually came of easily by light rubs on the bud. The smell though is really what intrigues me with this pheno. The terps are actually quite strong on this phenotype, and I would say is a sweet, paint thinner, pine blend of smell with a hint of menthol or eucalyptus, very appealing and seems to open the nose and give energy upon just smelling the terps. I definitely am very interested now in the terps of this as they smell unreal, and very very good. This would definitely be a great cross with xmas bud, or an og kush.

Pheno #8 This phenotype is only about 6” taller than phenotype 7, and is the 2nd shortest female. Bud formation is extremely leafy and very little girth to the buds. Very little trichome formation is on this strain at mid flowering (hardly visible and no stickiness on a bud rub). Terp profile is almost non existant and smells very lightly like a skunky smell mixed with fresh roots pulled out of the soil. Defintely not a select phenotype.

After Harvest Report: This pheno definitely has an amazing terp profile. It smells like some very old school OG kush, with a dank rubbery funk and a slight hint of black licorice and very very strong. I am surprised how it went from hardly any smell to now. The seeds also were very mature when de-seeding which seems to lean to a more mature plant. The buds themselves were very leafy but de leafeded easily.

And now for the final photos of the harvest of seeds :) and some extra finger hash :)

Great report and awesome info, Brother! The strain does sound pretty disappointing for a small grower with all that pheno variation but it sounds like Pheno #5 could be a real winner, especially with the right cross and a little stabilization! :thumb:

Great report and awesome info, Brother! The strain does sound pretty disappointing for a small grower with all that pheno variation but it sounds like Pheno #5 could be a real winner, especially with the right cross and a little stabilization! :thumb:

Yea out of all, pheno 5 definitely didn't disappoint and although the terps weren't screaming at me loud, they had a very attractive blend of smells, I literally smelled this one about 100x to try to write a description of what it smelled like. it was very good smelling, and overall a beautiful pheno! I did like some of the other pheno's terps too, but all the other features just didn't really add up to a winner.

Thanks for following along and cheering me on :) now on to the next one :) debating whether I start a new journal or just keep this one.

Too bad they took the reps away, Ice! :thumb:

Wonderful project! :bravo:

Thank you Graytail!!!! It was a lot of fun and really exciting to see all the different phenos. Growing from clones was fun and dependable, but growing from seeds is much more exciting to see all the different selections and phenos to choose from :)

Many more projects coming soon :) Hope all is well with you and thanks for cheering me on and following along! You all really make the forum special!

Dang. You fell off my radar. What a wonderful harvest! And the info on the 79 xmas bud, WOW.

It's a wonderful world we live in. Thanks for posting @Icemud !! :passitleft::hippy:

I gots to agree with LaztFish on that one. Ive never heard that story, and appreciate all the time it took to put in all the detailed information. *tips hat* good day to you sirs.

Dang. You fell off my radar. What a wonderful harvest! And the info on the 79 xmas bud, WOW.

It's a wonderful world we live in. Thanks for posting @Icemud !! :passitleft::hippy:
Welcome back :)

Thanks for the kudos and compliments! Very much appreciated lazyfish!

It is a wonderful world we live in... sometimes I forget to look at the "bigger picture" when stuck in the daily grind but that is absolutely a great reminder to feel blessed every day we are granted, and that we really have it good :)

Hope all is well in your world :) Stay tuned as I will be starting my project with Sour Grapes soon, and still deciding on what my next project will be (as I just received even more new seeds/genetics)...LOL I'm hooked! haha

I gots to agree with LaztFish on that one. Ive never heard that story, and appreciate all the time it took to put in all the detailed information. *tips hat* good day to you sirs.

Thank you Sparks! although I did spend some time piecing it together, I also have to thank some of the others on a different forum (RIU) for actually discussing the story in a very long thread (over 20 pages, of arguing back and forth...Lol), and also have to thank the grower "joe" who actually was the one who reached out to me and verified the story of Hazeman's "pine tar kush" actually being 79 Xmas Bud. Pretty cool one of the original guys responsible for bringing this strain to the world reached out to me...

I recently received even more genetics too so I will be deciding soon what to pop in the project that follows sour grapes :)

Hey everyone...

So I am not sure what the next beans to pop will be, and not promising anything but I would like to ask all of you, what you would like to see me run after the sour grapes as the next breeding project. I just received 3 new packs of seeds from Hazeman, and have 2 more packs on the way, and potentially have 3 more on top of that...

I also have been granted special access" to some private gear, with the promise that I will make beans and replace them, which is very very very cool of an offer, so I have requested a few landrace and very old school strains, and I am waiting to hear back if I get them.

Anyhow, the newly arrived strains are:

Fruity Pebbles OG
DJ Shorts Blueberry
Bright Moments x Sour Grapes

I just requested from a personal stash:
Bangi Haze F9
Malawi Gold
Apollo 13 F4

I also ordered and will be arriving probably next week:
Chocolate Thai F3
Blue Bubba

And then there are the seeds I already have on hand which include:

CSI (Pine Tar Kush)
Hazemans Purple Monkey balls (different than the previous monkey balls I ran)
Hazemans Astro Kush
Hazemans Blueberry
Hazemans Blue Dream x Azure Haze
Hazemans Gods Gift
Hazemans Lemon Stomper
Hazemans Super Stawberry Diesel
Hazemans Grape 13
Hazemans White Grapes
Hazemans 88G13/Hashplant
Hazemans White Shark x Aloha White Widow
Hazemans Sour Grapes
Hazemans Deep Chunk x Sour Diesel X Deep Chunk Sour Diesel
Hazemans Durban Poison
Hazemans Fat Purple
One Tree Genetics (old forum member's) Lanikea

Anyhow, all of them I wish I could pop right now but only have room for 1 right now.... IF you were me, which one would you pop?

I won't guarantee I will pick any of the recommendations, but It may very well influence my decision too :)

I am leaning towards the Fruity Pebbles OG, Chocolate Thai, CSI Pine Tar Kush, DJ shorts Blueberry, Durban Poison, and Gods Gift.... If hazeman agrees to send me some of his private stock though and I get the Bangi Haze F9, then most likely that will be the one that I pick as I would love to have a haze cross in my stash :)

Anyhow, which top 5 would you pick?

Dude, that's awesome that you hooked up with Hazeman! :high-five:

I've heard DJ Short's BB is the best of the BB's and God's Gift should be a winner, too! Brother PotChimp has an awesome Apollo 13 pheno going but I think his may be an F3.

Dude, that's awesome that you hooked up with Hazeman! :high-five:

I've heard DJ Short's BB is the best of the BB's and God's Gift should be a winner, too! Brother PotChimp has an awesome Apollo 13 pheno going but I think his may be an F3.

Yea, he is definitely an awesome breeder and very generous. I really wish I had more room to have like 10 projects all going on...LOL.

Yea I really think the Gods Gift would be nice to BX to my GDP since GDP is one of the parents. Also, Apollo 13 has been used in SO many newer strains that if I can have those genetics I would be so stoked!

DJ Short BB is legendary, and I really am curious how it would blend with some of my OG's as wells as with my GDP and black cherry soda.

So many choices, so little room...LOL

I got a sample of Sundae Driver last week and I was impressed!

It's FruityPebblesOG x GrapePie. It had a very nice humming rush, but much brighter than I'm used to in an OG. Nice clean fade, too.

:bongrip:

First off congrats on the successful seed project bud! All sorts of gems sitting there for you! I did not realize Hazeman had a FPOG offering. I have been looking for an FPOG to run. I ran FPOGxWedding Cake and I am less than impressed that I decided to drop it from rotation. The first time I ran it she threw bananas. The second time she did not even have 1 come out! This was of course after I did not clone her and had already decided to let her go.

So long story short I would run the FPOG and I would like to see the 88G13/HP get run. I thought you were going to run CSI's PTK after the Sour Grapes though and are you still planning to do a flower run?

Back
Top Bottom