Icemud's Breeding Projects And Motherchucking Pollination Extravaganza

Yea I'm always happy to finish a cycle and get a new one going. Have a lot of deseeding ahead of me these next 2 weeks :) lol.
Congrats on the seed harvest ahead!
Yea I'm really not sure what is causing that leaf issue. I really think it may be either the humic acid or the innoculant that I am using because it all started about mid-late flowering when I skipped a "feeding" and gave them just water, humic acid, innoculant and enzymes with no nutrients and next thing I know the plants all had leaves dying... so it was either overwatering, or the additives themselves that did it... I honestly think its just I have too many different strains, too many plants and a lack of focus on the projects so its really hard to "correct" an issue when there are so many different strains that all react differently to the process.
It is frustrating and tricky to try and put a finger on what the issue is. Altho once you're got potent colas, then having the leaves in pristine condition sure looks nice, but I am not sure really by that stage how much it matters as some of the best bud that I've smoked was often quite gnarly looking with failing leaves.

...I've always had relatively happy plants, from miracle gro, to the designer nutes or the flavour of the day, to Doc' regimen, but I've found building my own soil for basically a water only grow,with some teas, and foliars to be the most consistent...I've never owned a Ph pen...bought a roll off litmus paper a few years ago, and that's about it...couple miscues along the way, as happens whatever medium you choose, but if you were happy with your results before, don't change it up for convenience...go with what worked...cheerz Ice... :high-five:...h00k...:hookah:...

wWhat ol' Hook says is kinda how i feel. If it aint broke enough to truly bother you, or to where its affecting your buddage or seed grows, then yeah i guess make some changes. But if not. .meh...
And you're right about running many different strains at the same time using the same method of feeding for all. There is always going to be the unhappy or finicky one. Youve been doing great for years....i guess i was just trying to think of a solution for your overall soil health. I was having issues a little like that a while back and dumped everything soil and all. Started with new peatmoss, new compost, new castings and have been running strong ever since.
I mean, youve seen my grows, they at least seem green n healthy, and are usually praying towards the light. And that second run mixed with first run, RO water only. With maybe 2 top-dressings in a plants life time. Maybe some fish hydrolisates and liquid seaweed if they need a lil something. If they need more, i top dress.
But i know you'll get it and finish strong no matter what!

Congrats on the seed harvest ahead!

It is frustrating and tricky to try and put a finger on what the issue is. Altho once you're got potent colas, then having the leaves in pristine condition sure looks nice, but I am not sure really by that stage how much it matters as some of the best bud that I've smoked was often quite gnarly looking with failing leaves.
Thanks Stunger! Very true... I've had some beautiful plants that harvested and were meh.. and I've had some FUBAR leaves on some buds that left me blown away by the potency. The genetics/chemotype really is the key :) I still remember going to a local dispensary and for whatever reason I passed by the 50 different top shelf OG's and picked up some brown/green Afgoo because it was cheap and let me tell you.. I was happy I did, as it tasted so good, was extremely potent and I got about 8x as much of it for the price I would have gotten just a single 1/8 of top shelf og..lol

Happy Friday

...I've always had relatively happy plants, from miracle gro, to the designer nutes or the flavour of the day, to Doc' regimen, but I've found building my own soil for basically a water only grow,with some teas, and foliars to be the most consistent...I've never owned a Ph pen...bought a roll off litmus paper a few years ago, and that's about it...couple miscues along the way, as happens whatever medium you choose, but if you were happy with your results before, don't change it up for convenience...go with what worked...cheerz Ice... :high-five:...h00k...:hookah:...
Really good point Dr. Hook... I definitely had much better plants when I was doing organics feeding and building my soils and letting "Nature" well my man made human nature that is...lol do it thing...

I do have an entire 7 bottle line of House and Garden nutreints I picked up for a steal when one of the local hydro shops closed its doors. Pre closing these were like 60$ each bottles and I think I picked the entire line up for like $40 bucks... never used them and they are still sealed. Might have to try them out for the upcomming flower grows :)

wWhat ol' Hook says is kinda how i feel. If it aint broke enough to truly bother you, or to where its affecting your buddage or seed grows, then yeah i guess make some changes. But if not. .meh...
And you're right about running many different strains at the same time using the same method of feeding for all. There is always going to be the unhappy or finicky one. Youve been doing great for years....i guess i was just trying to think of a solution for your overall soil health. I was having issues a little like that a while back and dumped everything soil and all. Started with new peatmoss, new compost, new castings and have been running strong ever since.
I mean, youve seen my grows, they at least seem green n healthy, and are usually praying towards the light. And that second run mixed with first run, RO water only. With maybe 2 top-dressings in a plants life time. Maybe some fish hydrolisates and liquid seaweed if they need a lil something. If they need more, i top dress.
But i know you'll get it and finish strong no matter what!
Yea Sparks, your plants are always looking super healthy :) maybe I need to go back to my old "high brix/natural" ways of doing things as I always had success with them, and seemed to really produce some big buds that were extremely dank :)

I have a house and garden line that I mentioned above I might try as well. We will see what I decided on the upcomming flower runs. A lot to decided for these next upcomming grows :) I do think I will be running some of my strains for the last time and then culling them as I just have to force myself to reduce the numbers of strains I have :) Too many other dank ones to try and not enough space to to it currently :)

Well have a happy friday! cheers!

I've had some beautiful plants that harvested and were meh.. and I've had some FUBAR leaves on some buds that left me blown away by the potency. The genetics/chemotype really is the key
I think too, that it is not just the genetics but also it is the genetics that are 'expressed' by their environmental stresses (good and bad). What (subjectively) remains the most potent smoke I grew came from a late grown plant in a small ceramic pot that would heat up in the sun every day and cause the plant to wilt, and whenever I went away it would wilt very badly. It was grown from bag seed where the bagged bud was nothing special but this plant grew what seemed layers of resin over her buds and sugar leaves, they were so hard it was like they had a few layers of varnish on. @Maritimer took this approach much further with his investigations into droughting during flowering to increase resin/THC potential. But of course the better genetic to begin with would be ideal.

Hey everyone! Still de-seeding the plants, some of them gave quite nice seed yields.

Blueberry is soooo terpy! I love it! Same with the alien antifreeze #3... so strong of terps!

Got about 4 more plants to go and then I will do a final harvest post. Probably wont have time until next weekend to do them.

Hope everyone has an amazing week!

Glad to hear that the seed project was a success! And as long as you put them away correctly for a long storage either in the refrigerator or freezer, you'll have beans to run for almost a lifetime! Lol!
As for what you were saying about having to cull certain mother plants and strains to make room to try and eventually run and hunt new beans is "always" so damn difficult! Ive done it many times over the years and have even had to shutdown completely and lost everything that i cherished, only to find something new when restarting from new seed stock. So it can be a burden, but can also be kind of exciting too at the same time. Just widdle down your list of keepers as best you can while also taking into consideration at the same time that you still have some of them available to you again in seed form thanks to your many years of seed projects of so many of your favorites.
Even ive got a few bangers right now, and also have very limited precious space, some i have 2-3 phenotypes of and am still trying to pick my favorite. But it usually takes me a minimum of 2-3 runs each to really narrow it down. But ive also got so many other packs of some killer crosses from reputable breeders that i cant wait to hunt through.
Anywho, thanks the update and we'll be here waiting to see what you do next. If im a day or two late its because i just started work again with my old company putting in 10-12 hour days everyday, and this old broke down burro comes home tired as hell. But i still always look forward to hearing from you.

Alright alright alright, gather round, gather round. Here is the final harvest of my 88G13HP open pollination and pollenchucking extravaganza.

Well to start off, here are my breeder notes: I didn't take very detailed notes this round as I just was busy from work a lot and forgot to jot down as many notes as usual:

88g13HP project

Seeds from Hazeman, originally bred by NDNguy

Germination/Early Veg:

I had a very hard time getting these seeds started but believe it was not the seeds and instead was because I was using too hot of soil.

A total of 5 plants were germinated, 3 male, 1 female and the last plant is much younger than the others so I’m not sure which sex it is yet.

The male plants all are very similar, same structure for the most part, same branching, same height but slight variation in the leaves where some are slightly fatter than others but not by much. The smell of the males and female on a stem rub is very skunky, sulfur and baby poo.

Overall the plants seem pretty easy to grow, are much shorter (indica style) that most modern hybrids and veg fairly slow.

The plants were flipped to 12/12 on Oct 27, 2022.

Flowering:

The flowering on this plant was fairly straight forward and it grew pretty easy. Medium sized plants, good shorter internodes but not leafy like a straight indica, more of a hybrid structure. Stems were thick and I think this would be an excellent plant to cross into other strains or for outdoors. More future phenohunting should be done to find exceptional ones in the seeds.

Pheno 2- This pheno was very young compared to the other plants and only had a few weeks of veg before flowering. The trichome production on this phenos was amazing, and the sugar leaves were coated and sticky. The terpene strength was also very good and probably a 7.5 out of 10. The terpenes themselves were strong fresh tire rubber with a hint of garlic and armpit but mostly rubber. I will be re-vegging this pheno as I think this is the select pheno for future breeding and crosses.

Pheno 2 88g13hp: AT harvest: Orange lime citrus front with deep vicks vopor rub menthol Terps. Very sticky and frosty. Terps 8 out 10 in terms of enjoyment, terp strength about 7 out of 10. Trichome production 8 out of 10

Pheno 3- This was the older female pheno of the 2 females in this project. The buds were fairly nice sized and filled in quite nicely in the internodes for the first 6” or so on each stem. The buds themselves were not very dense, but not airy either. The trichome development was about average, nothing spectacular on this pheno. The terpene strength was very very weak on this pheno, maybe a 3 out of 10 in strength. The terpenes are similar to a carrot or plant root with a sweet earthy hint to them, and mild hints of general cannabis smell. Nothing really special in the terp or trichome department but might be good for breeding into an OG to increase bud size and plant structure was really good, internodes were fairly tight for an indica dom hybrid. Overall I think by using 3 males there probably will be some good seeds in this for future pheno hunting, but the female mother was not exceptional in terps or trichomes. Trichome development was about 6 out of 10.

Pheno 3. AT harvest: Large pheno. Quite dense buds and large yield. Terpenes were 7 out of 10 strength. Terps were strong naval orange mixed with pineapple lifesavers, hints of baby poo and pine. Very complex terpenes. Trichomes formation probably a 6.5 out of 10. Great structure, mature beans…all qualities good.

So now on to the seeds. I was quite surprised at how many mature seeds I got from this harvest. The Birthday Cake and GDP yielded really crappy, mostly because I was having a hard time with the Birthday Cake as it came into the soil very weak and poor quality clone (I almost lost it). GDP just usually is my most difficult worst plant to grow (i swear if the terps weren't so good this thing would have been long gone). Both yielded very little amounts of seeds but I still managed to get a few dozen tiger striped ones.

All of the other strains were very plentiful and produced a lot. The Phenotype 2 of the 88G13HP was very very young when I flowered it, hardly even a rooted clone so it was tiny comared to the rest of the plants, but it still managed to produce quite a few seeds and the terpenes and sticky factor on it actually makes me want to keep it more than pheno 3, although both were quite unique in their own.

Well Here is the harvest!!! Seeds for years!!!!

Here are a few photos of some Muddy Genes Beans Genetics in veg... created by yours truly :)

Ogiesel x 79 Xmas Bud:

(GDP x Deep Chunk) x DJ Short Blueberry F4

I've tried to get a few seeds of the Laniakea to pop, but so far no luck as they aren't cracking. I still have more to go, and I think I may try pre-cracking one to see if that helps. I'm not going to burn through all of them because eventually I want to learn how to use tissue culture for hard to pop seeds, but not ready to go down that road just yet. I definitely will try a few more seeds of the Lani before I move to another option though. Its my fault as when I got them I knew nothing about storing seeds as I only grew clones at the time, so I kept them in a dresser drawer for probably 6 years before finally moving them to the refrigerator. I'm sure they are still viable, I just have to figure out a better method of germing old seeds. I do have some gibberalic acid, but I don't quite want to go there yet.

Oh.. BTW I did pop a single Durban Poison seed and its already a nice 5" tall or so in the soil :) I've been listening to a lot of breeders podcasts in the late evenings and the old timers rant and rave about how amazing old school sativa's were and durban poison comes up a lot, along with haze and the old time breeders really say nothing today is like the highs from these old landrace sativas, so I decided to pop a single durban poison to see how it goes :) Not ready to pop my African Malawei yet... LOL.

Well sorry for the long delay in my journal. Got a promotion at work already and the new position has me exausted as all heck when I get home from work. pretty much eat, flip on the tube for an hour and doze... LOL.

Congrats on the seed harvest buddy. I hear you loud and clear when you talk about having to work at your new job and just now having the time or the energy.
Ive been pulling 12-14 hour shifts at my new job but id rather be working and tired than not working at all.
I'll enjoy seeing what you do with your young veg'lings. Should turn out some fire!
Thanks for sharing. 😁👍

Nice to see ya still at it my old friend. I'm back for good on here now with a new journal. My old ways (tiny space, low budget and I'll be training em hard.
Here to learn all I can from an old hand at this game. :passitleft:
Holy shnikes! Nice to see ya back. Mr. Deathstar himself! I still think that was probably the most incredible grow I've seen. Really happy to see ya back!

I will be doing some flower runs, at least 1 or 2 before I get back into seed making/pollen chucking :) going to be running some of my own creations along with some old classics to see if my pollen chuckers luck is flowing :)

Congrats on the seed harvest buddy. I hear you loud and clear when you talk about having to work at your new job and just now having the time or the energy.
Ive been pulling 12-14 hour shifts at my new job but id rather be working and tired than not working at all.
I'll enjoy seeing what you do with your young veg'lings. Should turn out some fire!
Thanks for sharing. 😁👍
Thanks Sparks!

Yea I totally agree with you, I would rather have a nice paycheck to sleep on than not be working and be awake...LOL.

Thats great that you are back to work too getting in those OT hours!

Yea hopefully I will have some fun with these flower runs coming soon :) Gotta clean out the flowering tent and get all the pollen mopped up and then I will get some girls over there to start the process.

Well done on the seed harvest Icemud! You should have some lovely plants growing from them, I'll look forward to seeing them!
Thanks Stunger! I definitely have so many genetics now to play with... going to be a treat to see how all the hard work tastes :)

... :thumb: :thumb: ...Katsu's Law..."you'll never own all the seeds you want to grow...you'll never grow all the seeds you own"...;)...cheerz...:high-five:...h00k...🌵...
Hey Dr. Hook!

Isn't that so true! there are probably 10 other strains I'd love to add to my collection and I still probably have 30 strains I haven't even run yet, let along all the creations I made :)

One of these days I'm going to have to figure out a business plan to take it fully licensed so I can have the breeding facility of my dreams.. and hire people to run it.. and I can just show up and test strains :) lol.

nice to dream, the universe listens :)

Hope all is well my friend!

Hey Dr. Hook!

Isn't that so true! there are probably 10 other strains I'd love to add to my collection and I still probably have 30 strains I haven't even run yet, let along all the creations I made :)

One of these days I'm going to have to figure out a business plan to take it fully licensed so I can have the breeding facility of my dreams.. and hire people to run it.. and I can just show up and test strains :) lol.

nice to dream, the universe listens :)

Hope all is well my friend!
Sounds like a lovely dream and something that i think you'd not only be good at, but it'd be something that i know you would truly enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom