Icemud's Breeding Projects And Motherchucking Pollination Extravaganza

That looks kinda familiar. It's the timing. I've been getting that hard fade in some of my plants at about that same time. It looks cal/mag def, but it can't actually be that because in my case it's in the soil and it's in the right proportions. So ... WTF, right? :hmmmm:

I have no idea yet, but I ran across some stuff about ammoniacal nitrogen vs urea, and there might be a clue in there. From the High Brix side, we give a good shot of Cat drench (ammonnia) to switch up the soil charge which shaves mineral ions off the adsorption sites. But the switch in soil charge also messes with the existing ion paths, and can produce that same heavy fade if the adsorption sites aren't full.

Might be a clue in there.

:Namaste:

I'm glad you got your vehicle updated and are happy with it, hopefully it goes well for a long time. The fade/deterioration on those plants is a puzzle. Everyone using nutes seems to do well with Cal/Mag which Graytail mentioned. I grow in soil too and I never check for pH or use Cal/Mag, but I hope some small change avails itself to improve things. Hopefully you've get some good seeds, as that strain sounds pretty legendary.

Bummer about the leaves browning on you Icemud but on the other hand, it does look like you've successfully made plenty of new seed stock, so i guess there's that. As far as you running some of your own creations...i think that sounds like a great idea! I for one am excited to see what you come up with next! Happy New Year to you and your pops. 😊👍

That looks kinda familiar. It's the timing. I've been getting that hard fade in some of my plants at about that same time. It looks cal/mag def, but it can't actually be that because in my case it's in the soil and it's in the right proportions. So ... WTF, right? :hmmmm:

I have no idea yet, but I ran across some stuff about ammoniacal nitrogen vs urea, and there might be a clue in there. From the High Brix side, we give a good shot of Cat drench (ammonnia) to switch up the soil charge which shaves mineral ions off the adsorption sites. But the switch in soil charge also messes with the existing ion paths, and can produce that same heavy fade if the adsorption sites aren't full.

Might be a clue in there.

:Namaste:
Hey Graytail, sorry to hear you also are experiencing similar problems with the fading. Yeah I am really not sure what is causing it... I thought maybe since now I'm running synthetic fertz, maybe it was a buildup to salts and the EC was zapping the roots, maybe a fungus or bacteria that somehow gets into the roots and kills them, maybe somehow I still am not watering correctly (even though I wait until they actually need it), or I was even thinking maybe it was something like you mentioned above when I feed them nutrient-less feedings where its just water, enzymes and mycos/bacteria, maybe its disturbing the roots/ions.... really not sure and haven't been able to really find an answer for it online yet.

Either way, I got seeds which is good and they are mature so goal accomplished. I just wish the plants looked nice and healthy upon harvest like I used to get when I was running organic/natural soil and amendments.

Hope you had a great holidays! Cheers to a green 2023!

Bummer about the leaves browning on you Icemud but on the other hand, it does look like you've successfully made plenty of new seed stock, so i guess there's that. As far as you running some of your own creations...i think that sounds like a great idea! I for one am excited to see what you come up with next! Happy New Year to you and your pops. 😊👍
Hey Sparks! I'm definitely excited that this project was a success per getting a lot of seeds and hopefully will have plenty to sort through at a later time for a good g13HP pheno. The one I selected really isn't that good but I may try to re-veg the smaller one (which is much younger) and the terpenes on it were much more interesting, kind of a hashy skunky berry smell.

I did manage to pop a few beans of my creation and one of the ogiesel x 79xmas bud vegging plants is beyond skunky....like that 90s I know what you have in your pocket skunky! really stoked about that one in particular. I will try to get some photos over the next week of my creations in veg.

Hope you had a great holidays and happy new year to you!

Gotta get to work now...

Hey Sparks! I'm definitely excited that this project was a success per getting a lot of seeds and hopefully will have plenty to sort through at a later time for a good g13HP pheno. The one I selected really isn't that good but I may try to re-veg the smaller one (which is much younger) and the terpenes on it were much more interesting, kind of a hashy skunky berry smell.

I did manage to pop a few beans of my creation and one of the ogiesel x 79xmas bud vegging plants is beyond skunky....like that 90s I know what you have in your pocket skunky! really stoked about that one in particular. I will try to get some photos over the next week of my creations in veg.

Hope you had a great holidays and happy new year to you!

Gotta get to work now...
Oh man that O'giesel × 79 X-mas bud sounds like a bad mamma jamma! Ive been a fan of your O'giesel for years now so to hear that you may have some good old school funky skunky bud has me watering at the mouth with anticipation! Lol! Yeah, whenever you get the chance to share some photos and some skunky descriptions of how she smells then i will be all eyes and ears! 😁👍

Oh man that O'giesel × 79 X-mas bud sounds like a bad mamma jamma! Ive been a fan of your O'giesel for years now so to hear that you may have some good old school funky skunky bud has me watering at the mouth with anticipation! Lol! Yeah, whenever you get the chance to share some photos and some skunky descriptions of how she smells then i will be all eyes and ears! 😁👍
I can honestly say, that Ogiesel is my night time strain like no other... its rare to find a strain that after 1 or 2 hits, and 5 hours later I wake up to drool all over and a half packed bowl.... So strong. I picked this cut up many many years ago from a clone supplier who no longer is in socal. They always had the most amazing OG's and genetics. I wish they were still around.

Its the 1 strain I can't see myself ever giving up. It definitely has OG kush, and also some bubba kush in it and skunk.

The cross is going to be amazing I hope.... and the way it smells on a stem rub already has me very interested.

I'm glad you got your vehicle updated and are happy with it, hopefully it goes well for a long time. The fade/deterioration on those plants is a puzzle. Everyone using nutes seems to do well with Cal/Mag which Graytail mentioned. I grow in soil too and I never check for pH or use Cal/Mag, but I hope some small change avails itself to improve things. Hopefully you've get some good seeds, as that strain sounds pretty legendary.
Thank you Stunger! I definitely am very happy with my purchase. I picked up an older but low mile toyota highlander which are known to go 250 to 300k miles so really happy with it... it has a few issues with the exterior paint that I didn't notice when I bought it but found out there is a recall for it so hopefully can get the paint fixed.

Yea the leaf fade is really a doozy, I can't seem to figure out what is causing it. Hopefully I will be able to figure it out soon. I used to never check pH or anything when I was doing organic/natural but ever since I switched over to synthetics I've been checking ph just to make sure that its good to go when feeding. Definitely will figure it out eventually.

I'm really stoked that I got a bunch of seeds and I do think this strain will cross really well into other strains, so should be some good hybrids in the making :)

Hope you had a wonderful new year and holidays!

I can honestly say, that Ogiesel is my night time strain like no other... its rare to find a strain that after 1 or 2 hits, and 5 hours later I wake up to drool all over and a half packed bowl.... So strong. I picked this cut up many many years ago from a clone supplier who no longer is in socal. They always had the most amazing OG's and genetics. I wish they were still around.

Its the 1 strain I can't see myself ever giving up. It definitely has OG kush, and also some bubba kush in it and skunk.

The cross is going to be amazing I hope.... and the way it smells on a stem rub already has me very interested.
I love that really strong indica body buzz for night time or after work chilin meds! Them older cuts of OG Kush used to be my favorite and seem to do it for me every time. I had a Fire OG Kush that i grew from seed back in like 2014 or 2015 and it had that lemon kush fuel and at times skunky funk that i love! My buddy used to run a Master Kush × Skunk from Mr Nice seeds if i recall correctly that was extremely kushy skunk like that bomb weed from back in the early 90's right before they starting calling everything "the Chronic" (maybe it was later in the 90's-2000's) and man oh man that shit was good! I wish i could get my hands on something like that again, id never let it go, or at least try to make s-1's of it or something by reversing a female clone.
*sighs while reminiscing*
We all have those memories of what good weed used to taste like and i think thats the fun in growing is trying to get back to them good old memories.

Think a flush might reset the soil?
I've tried it on past grows and it seems like once the leaves die off, the flushing will kill off the plants...

I really think its some kind of root rot or something, or maybe the microbes/mycos bottle I have is bad and its introducing bad bacteria... not sure.

Hey Icemud, nice to see you get back to work. I liked my work too and was happy every day to do so! Plants look laden. I wonder what's up with the timing and leaf browning? Whoops I'm dizzy from reading Graytail's post :thedoubletake: :laugh:. Why not change something up this year.?
Hey StoneOtter! Happy holidays and Happy new year 2023!

Yea I'm really stoked with my job, and actually just got a promotion as well which is really awesome! Yea I really don't know why every grow they do this... I'm really starting to think that its something I have been using like my mycos/bacteria bottle of nutrients is bad, or maybe the soil bin that I keep all my soil in is harboring some type of root fungus/bacteria like fusarium wilt or similar... I really am not sure why it always happens late flowering and suddenly too. Its so odd. I think one of these days I may have to chalk it up and just bleach clean everything multiple times, scrub the pots, clean out the soil bin and do a level 1 biohazard cleaning...LOL. I really am not sure. Maybe I need to go back to bigger pots and quit using these 2 gallon ones, although I see plenty of people using 2 gallons or less and having no issues... I will have to figure something out.

So here is a sneak peak at a few of my personal breeding creations, aka "Muddy Genes Beans" I've had this name Muddy Genes for a while but haven't really posted it yet, but eventually if I do take breeding commercial it will be under Muddy Genes :)

All of these plants are different ages, as I was popping seeds slowly while spaces in my mother/veg tent were opening up as I culled strains or pulled males.

Anyhow here is the 79xmas Bud x Ogiesel I created. One of these is extremely skunky on a stem rub, to the point it really will challenge if my carbon filters work come flowering...

And here is the (GDP x Deep Chunk) x DJ Short Blueberry that I also created. I took a single seed of GDP x Deep Chunk I made in my deep chunk project and ran it about a year or 2 ago and it was absolutely incredible. the Terpenes rivaled that of purple punch where it was like a mouth full of fruit punch candy flavored and the high was a good 50/50 blend of indica/sativa where it definitely was very very potent, but still somewhat functional and cerebral too. I then cloned the single plant of it, and hit it with my DJ Short Blueberry F4 pollen from my blueberry project. I'm pretty stoked to see how this one turns out as the Thai in the blueberry should really add some interesting effects to the high, and the berry flavor almost I am certain should come out strong because of the parents.

I also just popped 2 seeds of Laniakea which was created by an old 420 magazine member Curso, and the genetics he used stemmed from 2 passed cannabis warriors... Big Irish Dude (BID) who was such an amazing person and a 420 magazine member, and Subcool. BID and Curso were very much huge supporters of mine and friends too, and also taught me tons about growing over 10 years ago when I first joined 420 magazine and was learning to grow.

RIP to BID and Subcool!

Laniakea in Hawaiian I believe translates to "immense heaven" which I think is an incredible name being that some of the genetics used in this are from growers who have passed into the spiritual world now... If my memory serves me correct, Laniakea is (GDP x GSC) which I think BID called purple pussy and then Curso took the Purple Pussy and hit it with a Jack Skellington from TGA/subcools line. I've had these seeds for a long time and I think now is a really good time to pop a couple of them and give thanks and gratitude to those who helped me along the way learn to grow as well as keep their cultivation spirts alive and well. These seeds were just put into water tonight so it may be a few days before they get into soil and sprout.

Well everyone, have a wonderful day!

So here is a sneak peak at a few of my personal breeding creations, aka "Muddy Genes Beans" I've had this name Muddy Genes for a while but haven't really posted it yet, but eventually if I do take breeding commercial it will be under Muddy Genes :)

All of these plants are different ages, as I was popping seeds slowly while spaces in my mother/veg tent were opening up as I culled strains or pulled males.

Anyhow here is the 79xmas Bud x Ogiesel I created. One of these is extremely skunky on a stem rub, to the point it really will challenge if my carbon filters work come flowering...

And here is the (GDP x Deep Chunk) x DJ Short Blueberry that I also created. I took a single seed of GDP x Deep Chunk I made in my deep chunk project and ran it about a year or 2 ago and it was absolutely incredible. the Terpenes rivaled that of purple punch where it was like a mouth full of fruit punch candy flavored and the high was a good 50/50 blend of indica/sativa where it definitely was very very potent, but still somewhat functional and cerebral too. I then cloned the single plant of it, and hit it with my DJ Short Blueberry F4 pollen from my blueberry project. I'm pretty stoked to see how this one turns out as the Thai in the blueberry should really add some interesting effects to the high, and the berry flavor almost I am certain should come out strong because of the parents.

I also just popped 2 seeds of Laniakea which was created by an old 420 magazine member Curso, and the genetics he used stemmed from 2 passed cannabis warriors... Big Irish Dude (BID) who was such an amazing person and a 420 magazine member, and Subcool. BID and Curso were very much huge supporters of mine and friends too, and also taught me tons about growing over 10 years ago when I first joined 420 magazine and was learning to grow.

RIP to BID and Subcool!

Laniakea in Hawaiian I believe translates to "immense heaven" which I think is an incredible name being that some of the genetics used in this are from growers who have passed into the spiritual world now... If my memory serves me correct, Laniakea is (GDP x GSC) which I think BID called purple pussy and then Curso took the Purple Pussy and hit it with a Jack Skellington from TGA/subcools line. I've had these seeds for a long time and I think now is a really good time to pop a couple of them and give thanks and gratitude to those who helped me along the way learn to grow as well as keep their cultivation spirts alive and well. These seeds were just put into water tonight so it may be a few days before they get into soil and sprout.

Well everyone, have a wonderful day!
The Lani sounds really great! And i think i remember Curso. But i definitely remember Big Irish Dude and when he passed...may he rest easy. He was really a larger than life guy and extremely friendly and helpful to even me, and im sure all others. The name is definitely fitting of the Lani, and being crossed to almost anything by Sub (RIP) should make for some flavorful fire! You're good man Icemud for helping the legacy of these past legends of 420 to live on through the genetics in wich they were such a big part of creating, crossing, and preserving. You are now carrying the torch so to speak and can think of nothing better than to see these and other older meets newer crosses being released back into the world under the Muddy Genetics banner. Very very thoughtful and so cool of you.
I know ive said it before with the O'geisel crosses and selfies you've made and hearing about this GDP × Deepchunk crossed to DJ's Blueberry just sounds friggin awesome man! And makes my mouth water thinking of all the potential hidden gems waiting to be discovered. You have a way of crossing lines that seem like they would compliment each other at the same time preserve these all star genetics in a way that ive never gotten around to doing but that ive often thought. Keep up the great work and keep up the good fight.
I think you are on the verge of finding some really special plants in the very near future. You have all of my attention and I am truly honored to be sharing in your search for genetic treasures. But before i go on sounding too corny or like a weird stalker, ill rap this up and just say thank you for taking the time to share and allow us to be apart of your adventures in growing.
Nothing but respect for Icemud.
Im out. Sparks. 😊

Wait! Are you actually going to do a grow for buds and not just seeds? :thedoubletake:

I'm definitely watching this one, especially with those genetics! :popcorn:

Great to see you still going at it strong, Brother! :high-five:

Day 71 flowering (Harvest day).

Well I harvested about 1/2 of the ladies last night, cut them and hung them to dry. The other half of the plants I will be doing the same to over the weekend.

Overall I think this project was a success but we will find out once the plants dry and I start harvesting seeds.

As far as the 88G13HP... Overall it was a very easy to please plant for the most part, a nice medium sized hybrid type structure with short-medium internode lengths on the buds. The buds filled in quite nicely and I imagine in a different grow setting this strain would generate big spears. I think it would be an excellent outdoor plant as the stems and structure are very sturdy, and its not too lanky or whispy. Overall I definitely can see why this strain is legendary and it really makes me think some of the crosses are going to be amazing.

In this project I only had 2 females, and used 3 males as pollen donors. I can honestly say that the 3 males put out more pollen than any others strains I have bred with, it was COATED on everything, thickly! The 2 females, one as very mature at the time of flowering and one was just a very young sprout so that will show in the photos as why one is only about 1' tall and the other is about 3 1/2' tall. Pheno 2 is the young short one, Pheno 3 is the long older one.

Pheno 2- This pheno was very young compared to the other plants and only had a few weeks of veg before flowering. The trichome production on this phenos was amazing, and the sugar leaves were coated and sticky. The terpene strength was also very good and probably a 7.5 out of 10. The terpenes themselves were strong fresh tire rubber with a hint of garlic and armpit but mostly rubber. I will be re-vegging this pheno as I think this is the select pheno for future breeding and crosses.

Pheno 3
- This was the older female pheno of the 2 females in this project. The buds were fairly nice sized and filled in quite nicely in the internodes for the first 6” or so on each stem. The buds themselves were not very dense, but not airy either. The trichome development was about average, nothing spectacular on this pheno. The terpene strength was very very weak on this pheno, maybe a 3 out of 10 in strength. The terpenes are similar to a carrot or plant root with a sweet earthy hint to them, and mild hints of general cannabis smell. Nothing really special in the terp or trichome department but might be

And here are a few pics of some of the other plants at harvest...

DJ Short Blueberry F4 (pheno A-3)
The terpenes on this plant are just simply amazing... very very strong blueberry syrup and waffels terps and extremely strong...

Roasted Garlic Margy.
This plant has a traditional OG Kush lanky structure (as it has a lot of OG influence in its genetics) and is very sturdy, buds were extremely dense and fairly frosty. I didn't like the terpenes though so this will be the last run for this strain as they were mostly like a onion smell, with a hint of og kush.. mostly onion.

As you can see, all of them had that stupid leaf dying happen which I still think may be related to my watering practices as the soil was quite saturated. I am wondering if maybe if I had less plants per grow, and added a humidifier to the tent to keep the VPD more in line would help the air/water exchange. I think maybe those swings in humidity we have in socal where one day it will be 50% humidity and the next day 0% humidity might be part of the issue I am having as well. IDK...

Glad to see that you are finally pulling some plants down. You're definitely going to have your hands full retrieving seeds and separating them from sticky plant material.
I can really see what you mean by the leaves dying off in these most recent photos. I know thats gotta bum you out a bit. But it really shouldn't bother your seed development too much overall, or at least i dont think it would. Now when you get to growing for flower again, it may or may not be an issue. Hopefully you can work it out by then. But im starting to think it may be whatever it is that you are inoculating them with. Are you using like an URB, or EM-1, or LAB's or anything like that? Maybe it went bad if you are. And if you're not, maybe you need some LAB's to correct the balance of good vs. bad microbes and any fungal activity. You can buy it ready made or make it yourself. There are numerous videos on the Tube.
Either way, good luck on pulling down the last of your seeded girls.
And as usual i cant wait to see what you do next.

Glad to see that you are finally pulling some plants down. You're definitely going to have your hands full retrieving seeds and separating them from sticky plant material.
I can really see what you mean by the leaves dying off in these most recent photos. I know thats gotta bum you out a bit. But it really shouldn't bother your seed development too much overall, or at least i dont think it would. Now when you get to growing for flower again, it may or may not be an issue. Hopefully you can work it out by then. But im starting to think it may be whatever it is that you are inoculating them with. Are you using like an URB, or EM-1, or LAB's or anything like that? Maybe it went bad if you are. And if you're not, maybe you need some LAB's to correct the balance of good vs. bad microbes and any fungal activity. You can buy it ready made or make it yourself. There are numerous videos on the Tube.
Either way, good luck on pulling down the last of your seeded girls.
And as usual i cant wait to see what you do next.
Yea I'm always happy to finish a cycle and get a new one going. Have a lot of deseeding ahead of me these next 2 weeks :) lol.

Yea I'm really not sure what is causing that leaf issue. I really think it may be either the humic acid or the innoculant that I am using because it all started about mid-late flowering when I skipped a "feeding" and gave them just water, humic acid, innoculant and enzymes with no nutrients and next thing I know the plants all had leaves dying... so it was either overwatering, or the additives themselves that did it... I honestly think its just I have too many different strains, too many plants and a lack of focus on the projects so its really hard to "correct" an issue when there are so many different strains that all react differently to the process.

I guess one good thing out of my lack of plant health is I get to see which strains really are tolerant and which ones can't handle the swings and issues. Some of the strains are troopers and never really have an issue like my black cherry soda and GG4 which really never have issues and then there are others like my harlequin, GDP and the roasted garlic margy who freak out at the littlest changes.

Definitely happy to be done with this run and once I get everything all cleaned up and de-seeded i will be selecting a few lucky plants to go into flowering. I haven't decided if I'm going to bring out the 5 gallon pots again, or the fabric pots from the past, or just run them in the 2 gallon ones I've been using. I guess it all depends how many plants I decide to run for flowering.

Well have a great day!!!!

Back
Top Bottom