InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

farside's schedule is very specific to his grows, and includes additional silica and cal-mag and nitrogen, which may or may not be needed for everyone. He also worked it out for autoflowers and included weekly bumps that don't take how the plant is responding into account if you run photos.

That may work for a lot of people, but I wouldn't promote it as universal.

I do see the need for the addition of silica to what MC provides though.

The calmag is to balance the silica and keep N:K in the right ratio. But yes, it can be considered a bit targeted. It works though, no doubt.

I would cut the silica/calmag for hydro, mainly from the silica causing pH to want to be high. Haven't found a workaround for that part yet. I'd like to find a way though, as I agree that MC could use a little more silica. I'll have to dig around and see if there is a brand or something that doesn't cause as much of an upswing as the protekt does.

That’s why watching the plants is so important. :yummy:

Bingo. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Feed charts are a guide, not a rule. :D

I think @MrSauga starts young as well.
That I do. Anytime after the second true set of leaves as you mentioned and your safe for feeding. A dose of 2g like felipe mentioned is standard from their calculator and it's hit and miss after that :thumb:

BTW, like MrS, I have v1, and I adulterate my MC because I have the room to be able to add silica with something like protekt (currently 3ml/gal) without blowing the K out. And I add a little Calimagic (currently 1.5ml/gal) because my tap water is only 30ppm tds. :surf:

My understanding of the research papers I had read, that it was what they referred to in one as flowable (bioavailable) and the other said that the silicon in it was soluble and became a silica acid which the plants can use.

I use it in my grows always and have thick strong stems, but I also grow in LOS.

Silica or lime maybe
According to Wikipedia:
The typical chemical composition of oven-dried diatomaceous earth is 80–90% silica, with 2–4% alumina (attributed mostly to clay minerals) and 0.5–2% iron oxide.

So mostly silica it seems.
My understanding of the research papers I had read, that it was what they referred to in one as flowable (bioavailable) and the other said that the silicon in it was soluble and became a silica acid which the plants can use.
I use it in my grows always and have thick strong stems, but I also grow in LOS.
But the question is how much of the silica in the DE is soluble, because the rest is just particulate matter which can't be absorbed by the roots regardless of the substrate.

Is there no other source of silica other than DE when you build your soil? And do you cook it first? That would completely change the calculus.

According to Wikipedia:
The typical chemical composition of oven-dried diatomaceous earth is 80–90% silica, with 2–4% alumina (attributed mostly to clay minerals) and 0.5–2% iron oxide.

So mostly silica it seems.

But the question is how much of the silica in the DE is soluble, because the rest is just particulate matter which can't be absorbed by the roots regardless of the substrate.

Is there no other source of silica other than DE when you build your soil? And do you cook it first? That would completely change the calculus.

No, DE is the only major source of silica other than what might be locked up in alfalfa which is a major component of my soil.

As for cooking, definitely, with the major components being 2 bales of peat and 25kg (55lbs) of alfalfa, it cooks for 4 to 6 weeks before I even think of using it, I’ve seen internal temps as high as 150F.

Microbes will break down SiO so it’s plant available, but it is a slow, slow process.

How are you composting your soil?

I use a tumbler for the outdoor garden. Works a treat.

Urine You're in the wrong thread then mV :).
No, DE is the only major source of silica other than what might be locked up in alfalfa which is a major component of my soil.
As for cooking, definitely, with the major components being 2 bales of peat and 25kg (55lbs) of alfalfa, it cooks for 4 to 6 weeks before I even think of using it, I’ve seen internal temps as high as 150F.
Microbes will break down SiO so it’s plant available, but it is a slow, slow process.
Is alfalfa high in Si? Because if it is that would add a lot to the soil during cooking.

Either way, the real question here is about plant available soluble silica from DE.

I mix mine up in big bins, was a 300gal tote I cut in 2.

I split the alfalfa pellets into 2 (1/2 each tote) and soak them in water and LABs to break them up and start the decomp process. After well soaked and raked around to make the pellets into meal, I add my lime, bloodmeal, bonemeal, DE, kelpmeal and PNO3 and mix well.

Then it get combined into one tub to cook for a few weeks or more, I will use it when the internal temps are the same as ambient.

Urine You're in the wrong thread then mV :).

Is alfalfa high in Si? Because if it is that would add a lot to the soil during cooking.

Either way, the real question here is about plant available soluble silica from DE.

I thought MV was asking about my soil lol

As for alfalfa, whatever Si it uptook growing would be bio available but how much, not a clue.

Back
Top Bottom