InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

That’s what I’m doing
Perfect! And not a big time commitment these days. :cheesygrinsmiley:
Ok, I'm officially here then. Thanks!
Congratulations! My grow method is pretty different from most of the folks on the site, so let me know if something doesn't make sense. There are no dumb growing questions!
This would be an excellent experiment. I'm still a "droughting" skeptic and all the results I've seen people claim, seem to be anecdotal.
I can certainly see why you would be a skeptic since the whole dark-period/driving a nail/splitting the stem thing seems to really be subjective! On the other hand, we do have Caplan's paper done with controls and testing that indicated droughting had created a significant increase in THCa and CBDa when done on his plants under his conditions.

Since we're not allowed to link to pdf files I saved his paper as images and posted them here for anyone who'd like to review it:

His bottom line was:

"The drought treatment elicited a 12% increase in THCA concentration and a 13% increase in CBDA concentration but had no effect on the concentrations of the other detected cannabinoids (Table 3, top). Drought had substantial effects on cannabinoid yield, expressed as grams of cannabinoid from inflorescences per unit growing area (g·m–2). In the drought treatment, THC yield was 50% higher, THCA yield was 43% higher, CBD yield was 67% higher, and CBDA yield was 47% higher than in the control."

Whether we are repeating his results with what we do is up for grabs as no one has done a comparison with controls, only before/after pics, which are not accurate in terms of analysis.

Maritimer, Krissi, and a few others swear by it. I wouldn’t try it outdoors but in a controlled environment I might give it a try.
They do, and both of them are indoors. I'm not sure that Krissi bothers with LWA but I'm sure that Maritimer does.

Thursday update and happy first day of Autumn/Spring! Yes folks, this is the first day of Autumn/Spring, and there are essentially 12 hours of dark and light today. In the northern hemisphere, tomorrow there will be less than 12 hours of sunlight, decreasing until December 21st. After that the days will start getting longer again. ☀️

Time for another peek at the Summer grow made glorious Fall by the flowers and smells! It's flip day 58 for those scoring at home.

First up, Trainwreck from @Weed Seeds Express:

And Purple Urkle:

Finally, the two of them side by side like when they were younger!

That's all I've got today, and I hope your grows are healthy and happy along with everything else that you love. :Namaste:

Quote:
Hi guys, I’m practicing non intentional drought on all my plants… I can only water/feed once a week,
Do you only have access to your plants once a week? Are your plants in veg or flower?
I’m wondering what are the timeframes some of you are doing between feeding? And what is a drought timeframe like a week or 2 weeks with out water?
I water when my plants are light based on lifting or tipping the pot, though I don't let them get as light in flower as I do in veg because I don't want the plant looking for water when it's supposed to be building flowers.

And the drought timeframe to create the stress response (according to Caplan's research cited above) is long enough to produce a 50 percent change in leaf wilt angle, measured from the stem to the leaf/petiole connection. It's done toward the end of flower (usually with at least a week to go). Caplan's took 11 days to droop that much, but those were his plants in his pots in his medium in his indoor environment, Our mileage varies greatly!

Hi guys, I’m practicing non intentional drought on all my plants… I can only water/feed once a week, I’m wondering what are the timeframes some of you are doing between feeding? And what is a drought timeframe like a week or 2 weeks with out water?

Thanks 🙏🏻
@Stunger did an outdoor drought on his last balcony grow, maybe he has some insight?
This should be near where he starts it in his journal.

@Stunger did an outdoor drought on his last balcony grow, maybe he has some insight?
This should be near where he starts it in his journal.
Thanks Melville! He did, but with a completely different technique from Caplan, and of course we have no data on it. The further we get from Caplan's research the further we may be from his results. Only clones and testing will create something besides anecdotes. Anecdotes are great when stated as such, but unfortunately they're often presented as fact.

Also @danishoes21, since you're outside in the ground, all bets are off with how much water your plants need or what droughting they can handle!

Thursday update and happy first day of Autumn/Spring! Yes folks, this is the first day of Autumn/Spring, and there are essentially 12 hours of dark and light today. In the northern hemisphere, tomorrow there will be less than 12 hours of sunlight, decreasing until December 21st. After that the days will start getting longer again. ☀️

Time for another peek at the Summer grow made glorious Fall by the flowers and smells! It's flip day 58 for those scoring at home.

First up, Trainwreck from @Weed Seeds Express:

And Purple Urkle:

Finally, the two of them side by side like when they were younger!

That's all I've got today, and I hope your grows are healthy and happy along with everything else that you love. :Namaste:

Quote:

Do you only have access to your plants once a week? Are your plants in veg or flower?

I water when my plants are light based on lifting or tipping the pot, though I don't let them get as light in flower as I do in veg because I don't want the plant looking for water when it's supposed to be building flowers.

And the drought timeframe to create the stress response (according to Caplan's research cited above) is long enough to produce a 50 percent change in leaf wilt angle, measured from the stem to the leaf/petiole connection. It's done toward the end of flower (usually with at least a week to go). Caplan's took 11 days to droop that much, but those were his plants in his pots in his medium in his indoor environment, Our mileage varies greatly!
Ain’t nothing happy about it here, 30 degrees difference one day 💩. But happy growing anyways 😊

Highya ITS,

Trainwreck and Purple Urckle look very full with buds! Love the buds so big, they're bending under the weight! Looking very nice!
I asked Krissi about the LWA in connection with the droughting technique. Her response was something like she has done the procedure enough times to know how much the plant can take. So, no, I don't think she measures anymore. She has some very trichome-laden ladies, though!! Happy Smokin'

Very nice Shed. Very nice.
Thank you GBD! What do you think...10 days?
Nice work shed!!
Thanks jj! Could be 10 days from harvest depending on what GDB is thinking.
Trainwreck and Purple Urckle look very full with buds! Love the buds so big, they're bending under the weight! Looking very nice!
Just goes to show you that all the silica in the world won't hold up some flowers. :cheesygrinsmiley:
I asked Krissi about the LWA in connection with the droughting technique. Her response was something like she has done the procedure enough times to know how much the plant can take. So, no, I don't think she measures anymore. She has some very trichome-laden ladies, though!! Happy Smokin'
Thanks for the update!

Perfect! And not a big time commitment these days. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Congratulations! My grow method is pretty different from most of the folks on the site, so let me know if something doesn't make sense. There are no dumb growing questions!

I can certainly see why you would be a skeptic since the whole dark-period/driving a nail/splitting the stem thing seems to really be subjective! On the other hand, we do have Caplan's paper done with controls and testing that indicated droughting had created a significant increase in THCa and CBDa when done on his plants under his conditions.

Since we're not allowed to link to pdf files I saved his paper as images and posted them here for anyone who'd like to review it:

His bottom line was:

"The drought treatment elicited a 12% increase in THCA concentration and a 13% increase in CBDA concentration but had no effect on the concentrations of the other detected cannabinoids (Table 3, top). Drought had substantial effects on cannabinoid yield, expressed as grams of cannabinoid from inflorescences per unit growing area (g·m–2). In the drought treatment, THC yield was 50% higher, THCA yield was 43% higher, CBD yield was 67% higher, and CBDA yield was 47% higher than in the control."

Whether we are repeating his results with what we do is up for grabs as no one has done a comparison with controls, only before/after pics, which are not accurate in terms of analysis.

They do, and both of them are indoors. I'm not sure that Krissi bothers with LWA but I'm sure that Maritimer does.
I wish I had known this a couple of weeks ago but next time for sure. Really 50% increase in thc? That’s frikn incredible.Wow

Back
Top Bottom