Is a cure necessary if going directly to extracts?

that makes me think the flavonoids might have medicinal properties as well

This is precisely the case. I know that one flavonoid in particular (caflanone) has been researched specifically in relation to its usefulness against pancreatic cancer, so yes the medicinal benefits extend beyond cannabinoids.

a bunch will depend on your extraction method. the excess water in undried / uncured bud will wreck a lot of extraction processes.

Right. I was thinking there was an easy answer that someone already knew the answer to.

I did do some research before posting the question and most of what I found was related to smoking, unsurprisingly. There was some that alluded to increased thc because of further conversion of cbg, but that's not really my question.

What I can contribute to the discussion is my experience with my last years harvest. I know of course that the less water is inside the buds, the less water will be left in the extract. Despite that, I dried my buds in a paper bag in the sun for only two days, they were not manicured properly and not even completely dry. But I made a DME-extract of them, as I have had enough to fill my extractor densely with the bud.

And it worked out perfectly fine. For both smoking it spread on some rolling paper and eating after decarb'ing it. In my case I used bud, I can't say anything about trim-based extracts but you can usually tell the quality of the product by smell.

But theoretically properly dried and cured bud has a lower water content or at least a more evenly spread water content and is "stronger" by that means. So the extract will also be stronger. I will try that with this years harvest and share my experience but if you've got lots of uncured plant material give it a try. It yields some badass extract.

I’ll throw my two cents in…

It’s my personal opinion that freshly cured bud is the best for rosin extracts. However, like @bluter said, I believe it depends on the extraction method being used. I smash fresh dried all the time…:goodluck:

I’ll throw my two cents in…

It’s my personal opinion that freshly cured bud is the best for rosin extracts. However, like @bluter said, I believe it depends on the extraction method being used. I smash fresh dried all the time…:goodluck:
And define freshly cured. Is that dried, and then cured in jars or bags for a short period of several weeks, or something else?

But theoretically properly dried and cured bud has a lower water content or at least a more evenly spread water content and is "stronger" by that means. So the extract will also be stronger
But that's only "stronger" because the same amount of cannabinoids are compared to a lighter dried end product vs those same cannabinoids compared to heavier moist product. That's a ratio calculation.

My real question is does anything happen to increase or improve the cannabinoids themselves, irrespective of the carrier material. I know the carrier materials improve with a cure. That's been well established.

There's a certain level of cannabinoids at chop and will depend on the mix of clear, cloudy, and amber. But after chop, if we don't isolate the trichomes, do they improve at all as the rest of the harvest goes through its cure?

That's my question.

There's a certain level of cannabinoids at chop and will depend on the mix of clear, cloudy, and amber. But after chop, if we don't isolate the trichomes, do they improve at all as the rest of the harvest goes through its cure?
I'm not a professional at that manner but I'd say they decrease. They decarboxylate by themselves and decrease as time passes. But you need to get them out somehow, and it's easier if they are dried and cured properly if you don't have a co2-extractor. That thing melts the gas again and lets it flow back into the plant material over and over again. But it's a lab machine that costs as much as a new car. It's the same with an apple for example, it doesn't get jucier as time passes. So the cannabinoids probably don't increase with drying and curing, but you get a substance that is higher in concentration, with less water, chlorophyll cellulose and they decrease much faster than cannabinoids. And it's easier to work with that if you have to build your on lab on your own costs.

And define freshly cured. Is that dried, and then cured in jars or bags for a short period of several weeks, or something else?
Precisely! Dried, usually about 5-10 days depending on RH and where you are in the world. Then cured in jars or containers of some sort for a week or two. However, like I said, I smash freshly dried all the time. Currently, I’m still smashing the larf from the underside of one of my freshly dried plants. The buds are curing and will be smashed at some point also, but the larf is first as soon as it’s dried.

I don’t have any science to bring to this discussion. But if I was going straight to extracts, I would really only be interested in the trichomes.

So I would freeze the freshly cut buds (no dry - no cure) and then do a dry ice sift with a 70 micron screen to obtain just the trichomes. No chlorophyll.
So the cannabinoids probably don't increase with drying and curing, but you get a substance that is higher in concentration, with less water, chlorophyll cellulose and they decrease much faster than cannabinoids. And it's easier to work with that if you have to build your on lab on your own costs.

Chlorophyll is responsible for the green colour, not flavor or scent. Lettuce varieties and parsley have as much or more chlorophyll than cannabis. Dried herbs contain as much or more chlorophyll than dried cannabis. When wet green hay dries to tan brown hay the chlorophyll has only partially degraded. When tea leaves wither and go dark brown or black the chlorophyll is still not fully degraded. Chlorophyll is in the inner structure of the cell not the membrane and responsible for the visible green colour. Only when green plant mater changes to grey and is rendered near to powder or dust has it fully degraded. Degrading chlorophyll has its own very distinctive scent and is not the fresh green grass scent present with freshly harvested cannabis.

Mine actually started to smell less like idk THC when it was part-dried. The house was full of this smell before I harvested and after a little bit of drying it went away and converted into sth more like highgrade from former times. But not yet, I should have given it a generous cure, too.

And of course what I wanted to say is the substaces degrade not decrease. I'm still learning english.

What difference have you noticed between freshly dried vs freshly dried and cured that makes you prefer the latter?
That’s a good question. In the end it’s all about what I can get from the plant. With cured bud I feel a difference in the texture of the rosin after squeezing (however that largely is cultivar dependent as well). I also feel like I get a bit more from the cured bud. I haven’t done any studies on the subject, but that’s my observation. I can’t say I notice a difference in the high per say, but it may be slightly stronger after a good cure…that’s according to my calibrated cerebellum, so very scientific. :cheesygrinsmiley: I’ve smashed a ton of weed…literally, and I’ve found that properly grown, dried, and cured weed makes the best rosin for me.

Now that I’ve said that, I would also have no problem smashing an entire freshly dried plant without curing. Especially if you grow it…:slide:

Back
Top Bottom