Is this ready to top?

SlamFM

If so, where? I'm a new grower, this will be the first one I've cut. I've read and watched some stuff on topping and pruning but just want some opinions. Thought about fim-ing maybe? Which ever poses the less risk for me to screw up xD. They both seem pretty straight forward.

20230619_143929.jpg

20230619_143940.jpg

20230619_143143_HDR.jpg

I start training when I get a mature fifth node. I top above the fifth or if I lst I will break apical dominance at the fifth. Through trial and much error this is what works in my indoor grows. Good luck

Where to top..jpg

Equal but opposite.jpg

most top between the fourth and fifth node. there's nothing wrong with fimming if that's what you want. i actually wish i was better at fimming but i never get there in time because lazy grower.

if you just want to be sure and have 2 apical dominants let the plant grow past the fourth node and cut it back. no confusion that way, and those cuts usually are the strongest clones. adds about a wk extra or so into veg time.

most top between the fourth and fifth node. there's nothing wrong with fimming if that's what you want. i actually wish i was better at fimming but i never get there in time because lazy grower.

if you just want to be sure and have 2 apical dominants let the plant grow past the fourth node and cut it back. no confusion that way, and those cuts usually are the strongest clones. adds about a wk extra or so into veg time.
If I count the set of 3 finger leaves as the first node than I'll wait til the very top growth stretches more then top it. I'm mostly worried about height, I don't want them real tall. I got a few that are taller with fewer nodes. The one in the pictures got about a foot tall then everything new in the nodes started growing like crazy. I wish I knew exactly what I was growing lol. Next grow won't be with bag seeds

If I count the set of 3 finger leaves as the first node than I'll wait til the very top growth stretches more then top it. I'm mostly worried about height, I don't want them real tall. I got a few that are taller with fewer nodes. The one in the pictures got about a foot tall then everything new in the nodes started growing like crazy. I wish I knew exactly what I was growing lol. Next grow won't be with bag seeds

look into mainlining, quadlining, scrog on this board for incredible training methods and amazing results in low height.

i personally grow in a relay lazy method and finish in 3 - 4 1/2 feet. needs another 18in to 2ft above that to be comfy for the light but it could be worked easy.

I still top after three or four nodes, but there's no "right" time. Every grow is different, even with clones it's near impossible to get "exactly" the same conditions. Start with what you're comfortable with and experiment when you have the time and runway to do so.

But most of all, document so you know and remember for sure.

I haven't topped the one in the pic yet. But topped a few others that I have, left 4 nodes. I think I'm just use some tomato cages in the pots and just prune. I don't want them to grow wildly so I'll just do basic pruning then next grow I'll try a SCROG or something.

I haven't topped the one in the pic yet. But topped a few others that I have, left 4 nodes. I think I'm just use some tomato cages in the pots and just prune. I don't want them to grow wildly so I'll just do basic pruning then next grow I'll try a SCROG or something.

Good luck, I'm sure it'll work out just fine. Incredibly resilient plant we work with.

Back
Top Bottom