Jon's ViparSpectra KS3000 Grow In A 3x3

SH67
Trichomes

She’s real close. I’m thinking she won’t make Friday. Might land exactly on 70 days, which would be the very first time ever for me that a plant finished exactly when the breeder said it would.

Seems the trichomes on this one are a bit odd. I have as many amber as clear, and it’s hard to get a shot of trichomes due to the sugar leaf count. I estimate when looking specifically at the bud trichomes that I’m at 70% fully white, and 15% each of amber and clear. Different than I’m used to. So I’m going by how the buds look with this one more so than the trichomes.
732E0DBD-CA8A-4EF6-A799-7132A8A96232.jpeg

SH67
Trichomes

She’s real close. I’m thinking she won’t make Friday. Might land exactly on 70 days, which would be the very first time ever for me that a plant finished exactly when the breeder said it would.

Seems the trichomes on this one are a bit odd. I have as many amber as clear, and it’s hard to get a shot of trichomes due to the sugar leaf count. I estimate when looking specifically at the bud trichomes that I’m at 70% fully white, and 15% each of amber and clear. Different than I’m used to. So I’m going by how the buds look with this one more so than the trichomes.
732E0DBD-CA8A-4EF6-A799-7132A8A96232.jpeg
Here’s the whole plant.

232597BD-A777-4D2C-9113-32254F7DCEF7.jpeg

Right @Azimuth? I’ve certainly grown larger buds and plants, but I knew going in the Strawberry Haze did not have a high yield rep. I didn’t care since I love it so much. But yield aside, these particular buds are dense little masterpieces of genetics. They stink and smell literally and exactly like a strawberry patch, a bit sweeter even. Every little bud on every stalk is dense as hell. And for a plant that’ll come in around 20% thc she’s nicely frosty. I gotta admit the flower performance of the @ViparSpectra KS3000 has exceeded my expectations by a significant margin. Especially as that applies to the density of the buds and the evenness of the growth. Great light for a 3x3.

I gotta admit the flower performance of the @ViparSpectra KS3000 has exceeded my expectations by a significant margin. Especially as that applies to the density of the buds and the evenness of the growth. Great light for a 3x3.
:thanks:Your outstanding planting and meticulous care is also an important part.

I gotta admit the flower performance of the @ViparSpectra KS3000 has exceeded my expectations by a significant margin. Especially as that applies to the density of the buds and the evenness of the growth. Great light for a 3x3.

Ditto. My KS3000 is also producing hard nuggets considering they've still got another 4 weeks or so left.

Hi, Jon:

All of your grows have been great, but this one is special. Astounding!

I’ve two questions: 1. how long was the SH vegged for before you put her in the 3x3 and 2. what became of the Humboldt seedling?

Great work. :snowboating:
Hi @jonoldstyle - thanks for the kind words! To your queries:
1. Strawberry has had an interesting history. She actually began life in my bedroom closet under my old blurple which still works fine for seedlings. Lived there a short time and then she was moved and vegged in the 5x5 for a number of weeks, until @ViparSpectra Val and I agreed on some things and I got the KS3000. At that point she was moved to the 3x3, and this journal was started (which also explains why for a Jon journal it’s so short) and the screen was made and added and it was obviously then decided to go with the rotating scrog. She finished vegging in the 3x3 and obviously all the screen and undercarriage work was done there as well. So that’s her history and to your actual question, the total time from breaking ground to when I flipped her was, if memory serves, somewhere around mid 40s in days. In soil I always tried to go 60 before flipping, but a 60 day veg of a photo in coco and you’re long past containment in a 3x3. My next grow I’m attempting a one plant rotating 4’ wide round scrog in the new 5x5 with Arjan’s Super Silver Haze.
2. The Humboldt seedling…. strain was Humboldt Dream from Humboldt Seed Company. She was an absolutely gorgeous plant and she was vegging very happily along side the Mimosa, and then they were flipped and as soon as she started showing buds it was way apparent that the odds had finally caught up with me. You know how feminized seeds mostly have a 99% female guarantee? I had never once had one turn out to be a male. Well now I have. That plant was a male! I didn’t turn it, it actually started flowering male. I couldn’t believe it! Anyway, she was then immediately removed and destroyed and I did it before anything started tossing pollen around and the Mimosa was unaffected. (Yay)

Does that answer your questions?

:thanks:Your outstanding planting and meticulous care is also an important part.
Thanks @ViparSpectra! I always say I’m just the manager, it’s the genetics, the KS3000, and the Prescription Blend doing all the work. Lol!

Thanks @ViparSpectra! I always say I’m just the manager, it’s the genetics, the KS3000, and the Prescription Blend doing all the work. Lol!
Hey Jon , I have a question for you too. I just started using PB and a Golden Tiger I’m growing needed cal-mag added. It says on the schedule that some strains needed extra so I was wondering if you had any strains that needed more? CL🍀

Strawberry Haze
Flower Day 70

Ok, so here we are at day 70 and I can’t take her yet. The trichomes are, on a glance, telling me to take her. A few of the buds are done. But the majority of them look like the buds pictured below. Red/orange hairs still up and not curled into the bud, and new growth still popping more than the “I’m done/last gasp” random pops you get at the end. They still need a few days to my eyes. This looks like Sunday or Monday to me. If anyone sees this and feels differently I’d love to hear from you.

I may seem chill, but this is one of the most difficult times I’ve had recently with maintaining patience. She just smells so goddamn good! I want to eat it AND smoke it! It’s killing me to wait. But they simply don’t look done yet,

Now the trichomes. It’s almost impossible to get a clean trichome shot of just the trichs in the buds themselves. Every picture has leaf trichomes in it as well. The leaves are ready, that’s for sure! Lol! The buds are now all white with hardly any amber. In the picture below, the dark green with most of the amber is leaf trichs. The overexposed part with lighter green in the upper left quadrant is actual bud. Note if you can tell that the bud trichs are white while mostly the amber is on the leaves. If the buds were like the leaves as far as trichs I would feel I had let them go too long for my personal taste.

So that’s where we are on Day 70. Thanks for stopping by.

695D6C70-6120-4BF6-91C5-4F5204EDC2B6.jpeg

1E04387F-F67C-43D1-9111-596AC00B0492.jpeg

1FB85080-3B3C-4EED-84A2-D7F61C96DCF8.jpeg

C1D8D52B-AD9B-4BBD-A1E8-7A0392B85014.jpeg

725E23AD-F320-484B-99FC-9332F1F0F395.jpeg

Hey Jon , I have a question for you too. I just started using PB and a Golden Tiger I’m growing needed cal-mag added. It says on the schedule that some strains needed extra so I was wondering if you had any strains that needed more? CL🍀
Hey @CaptainLucky - my experience with that is this:

Under the high powered LEDs we are all using these days, the plants seems to crank through the CalMag. Much more so to my eye and experience than outdoor plants. I can’t tell you why that is but I have observed it consistently since I first started growing to the point that I consider it fact. I encounter plants that need extra CalMag way more often than not. Also to my eyes, the need for more seems to usually start in early flower. I haven’t yet had a plant that has needed it in veg.

Couple caveats: this is based on using the PB nutes, a train I’ve been on for quite a while. Also growing in coco. So the need for extra CalMag is to some extent a function of what the PB nutes provide. In my opinion, the cal and mag could be higher in the PB line. The Remo line, for example, has higher numbers in that regard. But regardless of what one uses, I believe the need to up the CalMag will exist most of the time when growing indoors under LED. How much will be a function of what nutes one uses.

I use Humboldt’s Secret CalMag plus Iron. It is the first thing in the water with every nute mix. I start with 5 ml/gallon using PB. Once they get flipped or begin to flower if autos, I begin to up the CalMag. Maybe up to 6ml for three or four weeks and then 7ml to the end barring any visible signs of too much or not enough. CalMag deficiencies are pretty easy to read, so it’s not too difficult to see when you need it.

This has so far seemed to mitigate any problems in this regard. It also helps my plants stay green longer. Sometimes I let them fade sometimes not, but it is nice to have that control to whatever extent.

Remember this, lol - if you start to see little red or brownish spots on the leaves, you’ve let it get way too far!! If that happens I recommend an emergency CalMag injection using something with high numbers, for example, the Blue Planet Cal Mag Pro. It’s 8%! Way too hot for daily use but good for emergencies.

It’s a lot easier and less stressful imho to accept as fact that they’re going to need more, work it into your feed schedule, and stop the problem before it ever exists. Anticipatory action if you will.

I also personally believe that the higher the wattage light you’re using, the faster they go through it. That’s been my observation anyway.

So there’s my take on it. Hope that is helpful in some way?

Hey @CaptainLucky - my experience with that is this:

Under the high powered LEDs we are all using these days, the plants seems to crank through the CalMag. Much more so to my eye and experience than outdoor plants. I can’t tell you why that is but I have observed it consistently since I first started growing to the point that I consider it fact. I encounter plants that need extra CalMag way more often than not. Also to my eyes, the need for more seems to usually start in early flower. I haven’t yet had a plant that has needed it in veg.

Couple caveats: this is based on using the PB nutes, a train I’ve been on for quite a while. Also growing in coco. So the need for extra CalMag is to some extent a function of what the PB nutes provide. In my opinion, the cal and mag could be higher in the PB line. The Remo line, for example, has higher numbers in that regard. But regardless of what one uses, I believe the need to up the CalMag will exist most of the time when growing indoors under LED. How much will be a function of what nutes one uses.

I use Humboldt’s Secret CalMag plus Iron. It is the first thing in the water with every nute mix. I start with 5 ml/gallon using PB. Once they get flipped or begin to flower if autos, I begin to up the CalMag. Maybe up to 6ml for three or four weeks and then 7ml to the end barring any visible signs of too much or not enough. CalMag deficiencies are pretty easy to read, so it’s not too difficult to see when you need it.

This has so far seemed to mitigate any problems in this regard. It also helps my plants stay green longer. Sometimes I let them fade sometimes not, but it is nice to have that control to whatever extent.

Remember this, lol - if you start to see little red or brownish spots on the leaves, you’ve let it get way too far!! If that happens I recommend an emergency CalMag injection using something with high numbers, for example, the Blue Planet Cal Mag Pro. It’s 8%! Way too hot for daily use but good for emergencies.

It’s a lot easier and less stressful imho to accept as fact that they’re going to need more, work it into your feed schedule, and stop the problem before it ever exists. Anticipatory action if you will.

I also personally believe that the higher the wattage light you’re using, the faster they go through it. That’s been my observation anyway.

So there’s my take on it. Hope that is helpful in some way?
Please know that you sharing your knowledge is greatly appreciated. I’m finding out very quickly that growing indoors is a totally different experience than outdoors but seeing you and other members succeed inspires me to learn. Thanks again and happy growing. CL🍀 :thanks: :Namaste:

Please know that you sharing your knowledge is greatly appreciated. I’m finding out very quickly that growing indoors is a totally different experience than outdoors but seeing you and other members succeed inspires me to learn. Thanks again and happy growing. CL🍀 :thanks: :Namaste:
If you’re an outdoor grower by experience and are moving towards growing indoors you’ll be hooked I would guess. It’s a different ballgame, sure, but man do you have control.

If you’re an outdoor grower by experience and are moving towards growing indoors you’ll be hooked I would guess. It’s a different ballgame, sure, but man do you have control.
I’m loving it more every day but it’s definitely a different beast. CL🍀

I may seem chill, but this is one of the most difficult times I’ve had recently with maintaining patience. She just smells so goddamn good! I want to eat it AND smoke it! It’s killing me to wait. But they simply don’t look done yet,
😆

I’m loving it more every day but it’s definitely a different beast. CL🍀
Wait til the first time you start checking the tent for bugs just out of habit and the realization hits you - “oh…I’m in a tent…there ARE no bugs….YAY!!!!”

SH71

Here’s a relatively clean picture of the trichomes on the buds with little or no sugar leaf trichomes in the frame. Had to take 12 photos to get this. Lol. It shows you how different the reality of the bud trichs themselves are versus the amber madness on the sugar leaves. The kief from this strain is going to be indica while the buds will be sativa. Lmao!!

F1E596B0-16FA-475C-A083-6CC8870BE6D9.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom