The Joy Of Growing - SweetSue Goes Perpetual

Nice to see your life is percolating and bubbling up more than ever Sue. If that's the GHS Jack Herer you're smoking- it was probably me that was unimpressed with the strain- but coulda been the hell it went through before I harvested that did it. It wasn't the auto version.
Had to be Weasel because JH is one of my favorite strains and I have a pretty high tolerance level.

Had to be Weasel because JH is one of my favorite strains and I have a pretty high tolerance level.

I'm curious, do you find it to be a smooth smoke. Mine is distinctively "smooth". I kept taking another hit to see I f it changed, and it just got more smooth. LOL! I'm wondering if this a strain characteristic?

Yeah I'm dying to grow the real JH but the Greenhouse Seeds Co version seems to get universally bad reviews, though I think I took it one step further/lower!

And the longer it cures the smoother it gets Sue.

And the longer it cures the smoother it gets Sue.

That's what I suspected B A R. As soon as I took the second hit I knew this was one to jar. I have these two tiny pieces that got cut off. The rest gets a decent cure.

Hey Sue! Nice lookin smoke you got there! I'm sure you have been asked this, but have you noticed any differences in the way your plants preform in the high brix soil as opposed to the LOS? Not trying to start the great debate or upset anyone, but to me they seem very similar. Would that be an accurate statement?

Hey Sue! Nice lookin smoke you got there! I'm sure you have been asked this, but have you noticed any differences in the way your plants preform in the high brix soil as opposed to the LOS? Not trying to start the great debate or upset anyone, but to me they seem very similar. Would that be an accurate statement?

I'd have to say that when I started into this adventure I was certain that would be my eventual outcome Cy. You asked this at the most opportune moment. It's been on my mind all day as I prepare to send part of my kit supplies on to B A R so that he can apply his exploratory skills with this program. So what's my take?

Let me preface this by saying I've been completely satisfied with everything I've grown in my LOS no-till and believe that the quality of my harvests improve with each cycle. This was my expectation when I started with LOS no-till, so it pleases me to watch my hopes and dreams for my plot come to life.

I've had serious idealistic problems with the kit, all of my own making. I personally prefer soil with a hearty worm population. I also prefer soil I won't have to repurpose. The idea of a continuous cycle of life being carried out in my pots, fulfilling the evolutionary intentions.... I get all nuts about it. LOS is my cup of tea. We all knew that going in.

However, take a look at Carnival and tell me you don't see a startling difference in the quality of that plant in comparison with every other plant in my brood. Right behind her is the breathtaking Jamaican Dream, already threatening to steal Carnival's thunder and she's not even out of her toddler pants.

These are kit plants through and through. Grown in my seven gallon pots as Doc intended and following his plan these plants are going to dance rings around any of my other beauties. Make no mistake about it, there's something to this kit and the way it engineers the soil response to suit the dreams of the cultivator. I'll be honest, I wish it was my cup of tea, but I'm lazier than this requires. I want soil that will continue to raise my plants to spectacular results if all I can muster is water. In my mind that's either the CC-style LOS or PeeJay's soil mixes.

I now have a much greater appreciation for what the kit growers are talking about and I get how they think this is easy, but I don't agree with that assessment, coming from my lazy LOS background. There's no denying that what the Kit grows is superior. It's just not superior enough to what my little no-till is turning out to be worth me giving up my worms and my living soil.

The cost is so reasonable, given the comparable costs of other nutrient approaches that I think it's worth the try. Like I said, it's just not me, but part of me wishes to the cannabis gods that it was. It's been frustrating, but rewarding, and I still have quite a few plants to get through the process before I convert my soil all to LOS.

I'm really glad I got the opportunity to do this. It'll drive me to find ways to improve the no-tills until they are consistently comparable in quality.

One last thought: Both of these soils are particularly adept at improving the diversity and potency of terpenes, which we're learning are much more important than we previously thought. Whichever one appeals to you, the simple choice of living and organic soils gives you an edge.

Whew! That just kinda tumbled out of me on its own and it's reasonably structured, so ima gonna toss it out there and see if it sticks.

oh wow loving the colours!!! im hoping to get a plant with grape flavouring from the mighty grape I just bought

This was about the third time I read this in passing and thought "Mmmmmmm." :laughtwo: I'll have to peek over your shoulder while you grow this one herby.

The Kit...

If I may say, using the Kit has been especially easy for me. I don't have to pH anything, I don't have to guess what deficiencies my plants are experiencing, and I never question if what I'm doing is right. That, and I've never spent time brewing a "tea". Everything I need to know to raise great dope is in the directions. Easy peasy!

I can't speak for LOS, but it seems both growing styles are similar only Doc has all his ingredients in 6 small bottles and LOS could come in many different forms and still be legit. From a beginner growers standpoint, "the Kit" outperforms LOS in ease of application and assuredness of the end result. From an "worms are cool" standpoint, LOS offers a connection to the earth and bugs and critters that the Kit doesn't. I don't know many career farmers who wander their fields trying to connect with their plants, but I know tons of gardeners who do. In the end, who grows the better produce is to be determined... but who grows more and with less labor per plant would definitely be the farmer.

Both approaches have their pluses and minuses, but what works for you is a personal choice. If I grew outdoor bud or produce, I'd probably go with a natural/organic style of growing utilizing natural materials and microbes. Since I'm growing inside, the Kit allows me to control one more factor that assures a quality harvest. Keep in mind, this is my first true "Kit" run and that at work we grow dank bud using hydro/chemical methods.

Yada, yada, my favorite bud was grown amongst corn in a field less than a mile from my childhood home in Iowa. And still I subscribe to Major's signature quote, "The best weed has yet to be grown."

That concludes my ramble. Goodnight and good luck.

Thank you for that input MysterySeeds. I remember Major saying once that it's the simplicity of two drenches and two foliars rotated through. It was a transformative moment for me in my struggle to make peace with the Kit. I have come to understand more closely the orchestration that occurs in the soil with the Kit. The components are so wonderfully engineered to exact very specific responses at your hand. Having grown side-by-side, there's no way you'd ever convince me that they weren't the best specimens I'm growing.

I'll be real honest here. I rolled out of bed this morning and opened the tent, thrilling with the anticipation of what I was about to see when I unzipped, and had to ask myself why I wouldn't always keep at least one big Kit plant in the perpetual garden at all times? I mean, look at her!!!

image33758.jpg

image33759.jpg

image33760.jpg

image33761.jpg

I'm not completely certain I want to stop having plants that are this alive.

Butter side up vs. Butter side down

All of your plants are looking great! My rant wasn't an affront on LOS, which I'm sure you know, but more a confirmation of my support for the Kit. What Doc is doing isn't revolutionary, he got soil tested and followed the labs instructions to make it better, and now he sells those products to us at a reasonable rate. If somebody using LOS had their soil tested and started selling small bottles of the exact organic nutrients needed to make the soil perform at its best without the guesswork and at a reasonable cost, I'd be swimming out and climbing onboard. To my knowledge, nobody does all that and then has a community of support (and strong suggestions) to back it up.

Again, all of your plants are looking great, Kit and LOS. If LOS is easier and cheaper for you, then it's the clear winner. But it appears you may have some reservations about giving up the Kit because of the quality of the produce. Tough spot, Sue. At work, we gave up using House and Garden nutrients because bit they cost us thousands of dollars a month, and now we run Jack's salts, Epsom salts, and one other ingredient and our nutrient costs are about 1/10th of what they were and the quality of our bud has stayed nearly the same. For us, cutting out the cost of H & G was a no brainer. For your situation it's not such an easy decision. I remember way back in your old journal that you calculated the cost of the ingredients to make CC's LOS soil, which ran $150-200 to get started (and I'm not sure for how much soil). To compare, Doc's Kit plus Promix and EWC costs about $180 for 42-gallons or more of soil. Both soils can be run again, which complicates the math even further.

And again, I ramble.

Whether you like your toast butter side up or butter side down is of little difference to me. What matters to me is that the butter you're using was made with dank buds from your garden. :volcano-smiley::Namaste:

Now go out at kick some ass... at life!

Big congrat's (and reps) to you or the recent harvests. I'm late to add my :love: :cheer:, but only because I've been a trimming fool for the last couple of days. I'm way behind on my 420 journals.

Trimming - "It's a lot like work." :cheesygrinsmiley:

Trimming - "It's a lot like work." :cheesygrinsmiley:

To some, like me, it's a legitimate source of income. Gonna get a W-2 and everything come January. ;)

I never cease to be amazed at how quickly they bounce back with some fortified water.

Jamaican Dream (Day 25) finishing off her Trans/Tea drench.

image33766.jpg

I think Carnival ought to consider herself lucky to already be in the tent. This one is definitely a contender. Can you see it? She's talking to me. She wants me to thank HealingKronic for giving me that final push to let her be transplanted without being transplanted. How sweet a life does she have ahead? :laughtwo: I never saw a plant rebound this quickly. Hahaha!

Jamaican Dream has really robust genetics, too. Every one of mine did well. :thumb:

How Much Easier Can Transplanting Be?

Create a plant-sized hole.

image33767.jpg

Sprinkle Roots! all over. Go ahead, be liberal. It covers beautifully. You'll get the hang of it.

image33769.jpg

The plant stays in the one gallon. Let's help it all along and sprinkle more Roots! on the outside. I always do this over the reserve tote. I figure the dust can't hurt and can only help the cause. I hate waste.

image33770.jpg

Keep doing that until you're done and give everybody a good drink before going back under the lights.

image33771.jpg

Much of my personal struggle with the kit was my penchant for overextending myself. I have many plants under my not-always-watchful care. The person who spent the last 35 years reigning me back died, unfortunately. * sigh *

I'm going back to the joy and simplicity of autos, with an occasional photo thrown in for the thrill of it. I really don't have the space to give the big girls what they deserve. It's been fun playing with the tent, but practicality got in the way. Drat!! Makes me want to stamp my foot!!

You watch. In the end, I'll have the sweetest set-up you can imagine. I'll live up to that user name I'm certain the spirit of this site made me pick. I know just where that cabinet Llama showed us will fit. Right where Dale's Nepenthes used to grow. It's the wall to our immediate right as we look at this picture. From where we stand the Tiny closet is to our right and slightly behind, in the corner. The perfect spot on that wall, before it begins to curve (yeah, I have antique, curved, original, thick plaster walls - how cool, eh?) Right where he ran the wiring specifically intended for his plant lights and hobby corner. :laughtwo: Can you believe how well that worked out? Hahaha! There's a dedicated 20 amp circuit wired to that wall that I can tap into.

"Click" Did you hear that? :laughtwo: I should have the money to buy the closet by the beginning of November, if not sooner. "Click"

Life is sweet. I need coffee. I'll be at this a while.

Jamaican Dream has really robust genetics, too. Every one of mine did well. :thumb:

Oooooo... Go ahead Graytail - get me even more excited!!!! :slide:

You did tell me she's going to be a pleasure to grow. I wasn't expecting that to mean from the moment she broke through the surface!

I want soil that will continue to raise my plants to spectacular results if all I can muster is water. In my mind that's either the CC-style LOS or PeeJay's soil mixes.

No doubt folks that frequent Sue's journal and read mine are aware that we bicker like siblings sharing the backseat on a long road trip. The dirt I use is a high-brix LOS that is intended to feed hungry fast-growing cannabis plants in containers for a singe cycle. I read a ton of Doc's journals and applied what I know about microbiology, metabolism, and organic gardening before I started mixing soil.

One of the things that many LOS growers miss is the concept of limiting potassium in their mix - a core concept of high-brix growing. When shopping for amendments I scrutinize potassium content like an overweight middle aged person with high blood pressure checks grocery labels for sodium. Additionally, I'm leery of adding excess mono, di, and oligosaccarides (rapidly metabolized short-chain carbohydrates) into the mix preferring that the plant's sugar-rich root exudates promote symbiotic fungal and bacterial relationships the way nature intended.

As Sue and I quarrel and invade each other's side of the seat in the back of the station wagon she likes to pinch me, stick out her tongue and chide, "but you can't reuse your soil." I'm sure it can be reused, I just never reuse it for cannabis. To my way of thinking I'd rather build a soil that I KNOW is going to hit on all cylinders the first time every time for my high-value crop.

What I do requires mixing larger volumes of soil and it comes out costing a few pennies more than a dollar a gallon when mixing a yard. If you don't have a place to mix up a big batch of dirt and store it, for example you are like Reg or Sue who live in walk-up apartments and rely on public transportation reusing soil becomes more important. The cost is only a small factor for me because I can afford to buy a couple of hundred bucks of ingredients at a time to make a big batch of dirt. I don't really have the room to mix it where I'm at but I have a truck. I mixed the last batch at a friends house and have room to store 4 35 gallon totes of mixed dirt. My friend split the batch with me so I didn't have to store the whole yard.

So much of hobby cannabis growing is situational management. We do the best we can with what we have to work with. Cost is only one factor. If I take a ten gallon container of used dirt and no-till a culinary sage plant in it I know it's going to thrive for several years. If I was to grab Miracle Grow potting mix for the sage it would cost me about a buck a gallon in one cubic foot bags (roughly the same cost per gallon as the custom mix) and the sage wouldn't be nearly as happy. In my situation the economics make good sense but for others they may not.

It'll be fun to see how Ms. Sue's Wild Ride turns out in the end.

Are you my big brother who's always smarter than I'll ever be, or my pesky little brother who I'd like to drown, but I'll kick your ass if you bother him 'cause he's mine?

I love your soil mix PeeJay. Always have. I've been thinking at some point I'd like to add your mix in for a few runs and use the soil to reclaim the wasteland that my balcony deck has become. :straightface: I've always wanted to watch your soil grow plants, particularly cannabis plants. :blushsmile: I came so close to starting there. For now I have enough LOS soil to last me a decade or more, since I'm downgrading.

The point on potassium hasn't been missed PeeJay. Conradino has been pounding this home all summer too, and working with Doc's kit has shown me the wisdom of that. Adjustments can be implemented over time to tweak my soil. This is a whole new world of science for me to explore. I'm still trying to figure out what's what in my soil mix, beyond a cursory understanding. I followed a proven recipe and got the brass ring. I have yet to tear the list apart to study the particulates. That was my plan back a year ago, before life got in the way. It may be time to get back to that. It was part of my reason for scaling back.

When we get to the next rest stop I'll buy you a Popsicle to make up for pinching you. I knew that was wrong, but I did it anyway. I'm sorry. :hug:

And may I say, what a beautiful sage that is. I can almost smell it. I miss my plot. The fragrance stimulates the mind.

Back
Top Bottom