Jozo-sha's Getting Grounded - Air Pots, Dirt and OC+

Awesome. The GS300 looks like it will perform well. Never heard of Dairy Doo before. Seems like a good product, being 100% organic! Will ask the local hydro shop if they have it in stock. Looks like you got killer strains lineup. Have you done straight 12/12 from seed before? If so, how long does it usually veg for before blooming?

DairyDoo is from a local dairy farm here in MI. Unless you're over in these parts, I doubt you'll find it. There's sure to be organic compost in your neck of the woods somewhere - it's cheap as all get out too!

I've never done 12/12 from seed, but seeing DocBud's 12/12 grows showed me all I needed to know -- from what I'm seeing, about 20-30 days appears to be vegetative growth before the flowering starts in earnest.

And yes, I think the GS300 is gonna work out fine. I suspect it's going to take some tailoring of the height and learning the subtleties of this unit to get it to make my girls sing, but so far, so good!

Looking good man! I can't imagine how nice and odorous its gotta be in your tent nowadays! Looks like you've got the older crops nearly dialed in, they do look lovely! I need some advice, I've noticed what looks like a cal deficiency in my current grow and I've been using OC+, FFOF, and vermiculite. I gonna head out to my local shop and get some cal-mag, just wondering if this will put the green back in now that I'm further into flowering - perhaps chopping in about 2-3 weeks. Thanks 420!
:grinjoint:

Looking good man! I can't imagine how nice and odorous its gotta be in your tent nowadays! Looks like you've got the older crops nearly dialed in, they do look lovely! I need some advice, I've noticed what looks like a cal deficiency in my current grow and I've been using OC+, FFOF, and vermiculite. I gonna head out to my local shop and get some cal-mag, just wondering if this will put the green back in now that I'm further into flowering - perhaps chopping in about 2-3 weeks. Thanks 420!
:grinjoint:

Yeah, that should set you straight - 10ml/gallon is what I used, you might also check out some molasses this next couple of weeks - iron and other minerals will help out lots! :goodluck:

the more i see these Leds bloom the more i like them...i might look at one of them for the future. the bud sites are looking good brother

the more i see these Leds bloom the more i like them...i might look at one of them for the future. the bud sites are looking good brother

Looking good now Z. The newer growth looks green and healthy. Will be fun watching the LED's do their job. :)

Thanks for the kind comments, brothers :Namaste: I'm glad I've taken the path I have with growing, and have learned so much on a short time. It can only get better from here if I am diligent and actually *learn* what my soil, roots and above ground flora are doing during the growing and maturing process, right?

Girls continue looking nice, soil still damp, so will go a few more days before the 'big' watering. Hit the 8 babies with a little watering tonight too, all looking great and responding well to the LED "suns" above their delicate little crowns :cheer:

Today starts Day 22 of flower, so still gonna hold off on the Gravity at this point, just sticking with Cal-Mag, molasses and Snow Storm for the big waterings; I think probably around the start of week 6 I'll start hitting 'em with the Gravity...opinions?

First time for everything! I'm testing out seed from 12/12 too. The ones I have under LED grow much faster. Yours will do great with this LED unit. Will be looking to get some in the near future. What is your prediction on the gram/watt ratio for this batch under GS300?

I have no predictions, especially since I have no prior experience from which to draw upon! In reality, as long as I grow top shelf medicines, don't kill my wallet paying for electricity, pull a dry 60gm per 12/12-from-seed plant, and have a good time doing it, gm/watt doesn't mean much.

On the other hand, soooooo many people utilize that ratio as some sort of legit yardstick for how 'good' you are at growing. Or how 'good' your lights are. Or your nutes. So, that said, I'll take a SWAG and call it .759 gm/watt. ;)

Did some tent cleaning and dead leaf/petiole cleanup and some minor 'skirting' on a few of the girls tonight. Pulled them all out, cleaned the bottom of the tent (so nice after a mild bleach wipe down!), then all the girls got DEEP, SLOW and SWEET watering with their molasses/Snow Storm/Cal-Mag water -- you could see them perking up just after 15 minutes or so after the soak. Since I have seedlings yet, needed to provide them a wee bit more support for growing while I'm out this weekend, so watered their respective pots well, and stuffed it all into my germination tray under the tall plastic lid; oh is it a sight to behold....but, one has to do these things sometimes, and I'm sure I'll come home and find all 8 still chugging along nicely.

No pics this time, but I can report that visually speaking, the immature buds under the GS300 appear much more robust.

:Namaste:

Awwww...since I've got insomnia and have been farting around online all night anyhow, I'll post the two 'just-after-light-out' pics I snapped almost 4 hours ago:

Left hand side, A-Trains, El Ess Dees, Bagseed
Dirt_Grows_-_276.jpg

Right hand side, A-Train, Chocolope, Vanilla Kush, Sweet Deep Grapefruit
Dirt_Grows_-_277.jpg

:high-five:

Looking good my friend! Are you going to fill us in on the name change? Witness protection program? Can we call you JZ for short now?

Looking forward to seeing how the new lights compare to brand "X", I would like to see s shootout between the Advanced lights and the GSL. I already know how the Advanced work against brand "X" and you will know how GSL compares to them, so if they out-perform the other brand then it would be a good face-off between the two.

Coming along NICELY Jozo. :morenutes:

Thanks Annie! Can't wait for you to see them in real life :circle-of-love:

Looking good my friend! Are you going to fill us in on the name change? Witness protection program? Can we call you JZ for short now?

Looking forward to seeing how the new lights compare to brand "X", I would like to see s shootout between the Advanced lights and the GSL. I already know how the Advanced work against brand "X" and you will know how GSL compares to them, so if they out-perform the other brand then it would be a good face-off between the two.

Just time for a change. Jozo-sha means 'brewer' in Japanese, and long ago I was a brewer :high-five: -- JZ will work!

For more on the comparison grow, see my sig line ;)

I've seen so many threads on the use of molasses, with the same damned questions being asked over and over again, so I finally took initiative and wrote this:

I hope this helps someone out. :peace:

Excellant info bro. We have used molasses in the past, and probably should use it again. I think we will use it on our next plants, as we are pure vegan at this point, and will see how it works out on this run. Your babies are looking great brother. A cool summer evening around the bon fire with good friends and even better smoke makes for an enjoyable evening. Keep up the great work brother.:bravo:

A brief update:

I chopped down the sativa pheno El Ess Dee and the bagseed plant; just not fitting into the scheme of things. On another note, the rest of the girls are looking very healthy (well, except for the other El Ess Dee; just a finicky strain for my environment - I'll move on). I'll post photos this coming weekend.

Question: anyone ever tried Blumat Auto Watering devices? I wonder how those would work with my type of setup; one of the perceived downsides to Air Pots are that they require more frequent watering. Maybe this Blumat thing would allow a nice moisture level in the soil, then you could do a good drench as the plants desire/you feel. Comments?

'Nother late night update, yo!

Just felt like shooting pix after whacking those two plants earlier. From top to bottom: El Ess Dee #2, A-Train #2, A-Train #3, A-Train #1, Chocolope, Sweet Deep Grapefruit

Dirt_Grows_-_285.jpg
Dirt_Grows_-_286.jpg
Dirt_Grows_-_287.jpg
Dirt_Grows_-_288.jpg
Dirt_Grows_-_289.jpg
Dirt_Grows_-_290.jpg

The newbs:

Dirt_Grows_-_291.jpg

A pair of full family shots:

Dirt_Grows_-_292.jpg
Dirt_Grows_-_294.jpg

blumats work OK for maintenance...don't know if they could keep up w/ an airpot's demands. I've used them for houseplants while on vacation. Would def need several per pot. You might look into the "cones" that screw onto 2 liter bottles--fill w/ water/nutes and invert and stick into the dirt. Or the blown glass watering "balls" that work the same way.

Just time for a change. Jozo-sha means 'brewer' in Japanese, and long ago I was a brewer :high-five: -- JZ will work!

For more on the comparison grow, see my sig line ;)

I've been a brewer for going on 20 years myself, have you ever thought of growing some hops? I have a friend that grows some in his yard, those things are like weeds, grow 20+ feet in a few months.

Hey JZ!

I'm actually considering a drip irrigation system in the new room, or at least the ability to add one in the future. You definitely have to stay on top of the watering with the Air-Pots, but it's well worth it IMO.

:goodjob:

blumats work OK for maintenance...don't know if they could keep up w/ an airpot's demands. I've used them for houseplants while on vacation. Would def need several per pot. You might look into the "cones" that screw onto 2 liter bottles--fill w/ water/nutes and invert and stick into the dirt. Or the blown glass watering "balls" that work the same way.

Those things you suggest are okay, but sheesh..talk about uglifying your tent! The Blumats also come in an XL size, I'm thinking 1 per 3 liter Air Pot would work...then you just use black tubing (unless it's already opaque, I need to check), snake those beasts to an opaque tote on the floor of the tent (you know, pop the lines through a set of grommeted holes in the lid) and Bob's yer uncle. You could then selectively flood/feed with molasses and SSU/Gravity as desired, just keep base ro/di water and calmag in the tote. Put the Air Pot up on milk crates/whatever with underneath air flow and high enough for a steady pull of water from the tote. Just trying to think ahead, yeah?

I've been a brewer for going on 20 years myself, have you ever thought of growing some hops? I have a friend that grows some in his yard, those things are like weeds, grow 20+ feet in a few months.

Helped do some hops out in NM, those things are insane as far as daily veg growth...I'd try hops if/when I finally get a house of my own (you'd think as old of a fart as I am, I'd already be ensconced in my castle!). My real dream is a small 2/3bbl brewhouse & bbq stand/dispensary: Malt, Meat & Meds or some shit like that ;) right on my property, so I can wake up, check the smoker, brew some beer, then tend the garden. Put the old lady to work tending bar and serving beer and pulled pork ;)

Hey JZ!

I'm actually considering a drip irrigation system in the new room, or at least the ability to add one in the future. You definitely have to stay on top of the watering with the Air-Pots, but it's well worth it IMO.

:goodjob:

Dude, I love the Air Pots. I was wondering if instead of doing DocBud's Monsoon method with Air Pots by top watering, if you could just submerse the pots in a 5g bucket of your nuted water (or plain for a flush), then when the surface soil showed wetness, pulled it out and drained it....another thing to think about for the future...those 3 liter AP's would be soooo easy to water that way, even if you had a 40" tall plant. Of course, that's barring a scrog or some funky assed LST'ing.

Anyhow, girls got a nice light watering of just plain Cal-Mag'd water, the last thorough soak I gave nute burned the Chocolope and one of the A-Trains a wee bit, so I figure plain water today would be a nice change for the girls and next week I'll cut the SSU back by half. I'm keeping the Cal-Mag at 5ml/gal for the time being.

The ladies are in that state where I believe stretching has finally stopped and the budsites are starting to fill in more, and since the watched pot never buds, I'm trying to just check on them quickly and note any negative changes, check the soil, temp, then close up the tent and leave them be. The wait from where they are now util they start looking like dankness filled colas is always the hardest part of the grow for me! :popcorn:

I'll take pics next week and post then, unless anyone's got time to discuss anything I've done or brought up.

:peace:

Dude, I love the Air Pots. I was wondering if instead of doing DocBud's Monsoon method with Air Pots by top watering, if you could just submerse the pots in a 5g bucket of your nuted water (or plain for a flush), then when the surface soil showed wetness, pulled it out and drained it....another thing to think about for the future...those 3 liter AP's would be soooo easy to water that way, even if you had a 40" tall plant. Of course, that's barring a scrog or some funky assed LST'ing.

That's exactly what I've been doing with my small .3 gallon Air-Pots (I think I've seen them called them air-cells). Dunk the whole thing in a large container of water until it's totally saturated pull it out and let it drain, the small ones only take a few seconds.

My last group was in the 3 liter Air-Pots...I thought about dunking them but the girls were so top heavy I was worried I'd end up doing some sort of damage in the process, so I decided to wait until another day to give that a try.

Obviously dunking wouldn't be the best idea if you top dressed with OC+ but as long as it was incorporated in the soil I think it would work for the whole grow!

Back
Top Bottom