Keeping a happy mother plant

wow very interesting ..and im glad you are helping clear this up ..i thnk it also depends on the type of music wich would make complete sense if its based on the vibrations , anyway thats cool thx let us know ..

good read , nicely worded and broke dwn for nobs and vets alike often they are neglected or mistreated i have a dedicated space and tend to her very well shes only run in hydro 24 hours light and only good vibes go in so she gives good vibes bck ..they say singing and music help good growth i dnt know if its true but im sure they dont mind. thx for the info

I have always had music on 24/7 in both rooms. I DO believe that plants are receptive to not only the music, but the mother (me) who takes care of them. There's a great book I read back in the early 70's. In fact, it is one reason I started growing, anyway it is "The Secret Life Of Plants". Buy on Amazon
It details experiments proving that plants get connected to us, their caretakers. Fascinating read. It changed my attitude about these occupants of our planet. I also talk to them; haven't yet done the singing thing, and occasionally "connect" mentally whist watching TV or whatever. My house is 20 yards from my detached grow building, 5pm/5am 12/12 full-time job too, so I am around all the time. My ladies are very happy.
My problem is that I try to maintain too many strains and wind up flowering a few just to let them complete their life-cycle. I have a real hard time killing any ones; sadden when a clone dies; and generally "feel" them. Call me wacky 'cause you know, I'm from California. Proof is in our medicine.

I also use a mother specific nute, like the "mother plant" nutes from hydrodynamics intl. I think mum specific nutes are key for my mums producing a ton of sites that are very easy to clone from. they're soft, thick, and very plentiful.

ABSOLUTELY! I have different formulas for every stage of veg. propagation. Yea, mixing all that is a pain but it keeps me occupied as my full-time job. Besides, they are usually small quantities compared to the 4 @ 55 Gallon vats that run the bloomin' room .:peace:

So. The idea of music is pretty common. Bt after a bit of research. I found some relitive proof. Ultra sonic vibrations. At a cycling at a rate of 20,000 - 50,000 times a minute. Had shown increases in plant growth up to 83%in 8weeks. Im going to.do some more searching.

So, could that mean that the vibration of today's electronic ballasts @ 20K could be beneficial? Or am I barking up the wrong tree. Simply install ballasts @ ceiling above plants and they'll get the buzz? That would be so cool if one was in the market for electronic ballasts to replace one's investment already made.

Question? I have a mother that has gotten huge. She is like 5 feet tall and a bush on top. She has lost some health. Can I just cut the whole bushy top off and trim the other parts up and leave some good leafs on? I really would like to make her about half of the height she is now cause I am about to get another tent just for her and right now she wont fit in a one plant tent. I have the cuttings off her and they are booming. Will just using one of her cuttings yield cuttings just as good or does the strain loose quality the more you clone off of clones? Thanks in advance!

Size does matter doesn't it!!! Lots of questions arise from your post because there are lots of solutions. If you "top" her meaning that you cut the actively growing main stem, you will get the reduction in height you want, but will also cause her to do several things. She'll go into great stress because of her size and will then sub-divide her main stem into two. This will make her more of a bush than a single stalked tree. I also would recommend that you use some form of sealant (like roofing cement) that will seal that huge hole that will be there after cutting her. Based on your description, that opening into the life source of that plant, could easily be as large as a pencil leaving her open to all sorts of potential problems from airborne diseases (bacteria, etc) to insects that will literally take up residence in this cave, so-to-speak. Could cause death, but surly will stunt her growth until she recovers. There's no problem in topping her; I'd just have done it a lot sooner. It is "OK" to remove UP TO 50% of the leaves on her, but again, stress will be more apparent, the more cuttings you take. I have never taken that much in a sitting, but then again, I tend to be conservative and am scarred to take that much. Try your best to keep the cuttings that you take, in "pairs" allowing the plants natural balance to prevail before she goes into flowering and then the alternate nodes start their pattern.
I have read a lot of differentiating opinions and even some facts about the diminishing viability, quality and overall performance of cuttings. I have not seen anything to support the statement that the clones get lesser in quality and yield the more clones you take. I say BS to that all. I have a plant that I have kept in Veg. for nearly 3 years now. I take regular cuttings and grow out & flower like any other set-up. I typically have 4-6 different strains growing and have up to 18 going at once. No way can I keep that many mothers around so I do my thing like this. I start with 14 good cuttings either of several or a single strain (use my own made power clone machines;easy!). Once rooted, they move to their "home" which is a 2.5 G growth bucket within a 3 G reservoir bucket. Here they veg from 3-4 weeks or until they are at least 18" and 5 nodes tall. From here I take a few cuttings from each to start my next set-up of clones (remember, not keeping mothers). 4-5 days later, the top bucket is moved into the flowering room where I have 8 groups of 12 plant sites/group. This revolves around the 8 week average flowering cycle of most of the strains I grow. So I now get to harvest 12 plants every 2 weeks. This makes it more manageable to harvest, dry, cure and store rather than having to do this to 100 plants all at once. It is just me and my wife doing this and we are older at the least. I know this got long, but it solved my problem with height and space needs. Hopefully would be some food for more thoughts... It's like, why have all those huge mothers to take care of when I am going to trim the lower branches before flowering just because of the light penetration needs and all those wasted sites way down low. Never will amount to much, and they are just the perfect cuttings to take anyway. By thw way, I do the 14 cuttings because I am going to take the best 12 for the flowering stage and destroy or donate or sell the extra 2.
Apologies for the diatribe... Sorry, Paul

I agree people don't take care of there mother plant. Would you treat your own mother that way.Besides that shes the mother of your crop. Were would you be if you did'nt have her.I take great care for all my girls I prune,talk,play music for them mostly beetoven,bach,mozart,and ect... It's uplifting tempo NO bullshit you guys can laugh all you want. Plants love that shit. Yes I beleave it's tones and buzzes from the ballast that they love.(white noise)
Everyone treat your mother plant with the utmost respect she will love you right back.

My mothers are definitely happy now, thanks to this thread. Working on getting them into bonsai shape, but I'm pulling 36 clones off of 6 plants in 2l bottles every 12-14 days. :thanks:

Great thread on Mother plants!! bump!! I learned a ton from this post as I venture into my next stage of growing with keeping mothers and a perpetual grow... I do have a few questions that maybe you all can help me with.

Has anyone ever used the Gas Lamp Routine with mothers successfully? I use it for my veg cycle all the time and so far I have got nothing but love from my plants...but for mothers, will it keep them healthy and prevent them from flowering?

Also another question... for keeping mother's in soil, do you just feed water/compost teas every few feedings and just a monthly soil drench?

For my third grow i am going to try growing two strong mothers. My now flowering room will become my new mother room and a new flowering has been built. Thanks for the great info.

Thank you for the info. Using the hydro do you usea light solution of nutrients, or full strength? And could you use keys say a 150w led lights to keep electricity down.?

Thank you so much for all the info mate!
I'll begin my perpetual grow soon (the beans in the napkin already) and this info will come mighty handy for me.

This is good info for reference material.

I have a three year old mother in soil in a 7 gal cloth pot that needs some trimming. Her first two years were in a 3 gal plastic pot. Its time for her yearly tune up. I keep her in 24/0 for two reasons. 1) She started to flower in 18/6 - shes not an auto, it was very gradual over a period of a year. 2) CFLs last longer when you keep them ON. The bulbs never get close to the listed usage hours - totally misleading marketing on that.

Doc Bud said something about the leaves reducing their points from 9,7,5 to 3 and in extreme cases 1 when you have nutrition/stress/light issues. I use grow nutes (for now) to try to balance that. She is due for a trim so I am going to transplant into Doc's kit after I get her trimmed, let her recover a bit, then I'll cut some roots and put her in the kit.

I let her go just as Godspeed described because I only take cuttings once a year so she only needs to survive until I get her going again and take more cuttings, I use one 23 watt CFL. Its Acapulco Gold and I don't have any more seeds so this method works well. If I remember I'll take some photos of the trim/transplant before and after recovery.

Back
Top Bottom