Keffkas Seedsman Comparative: Purple Ghost Candy

Happy holiday all. Since we are closer to pagans in this home and do not recognize the authority of any religion, this holiday is about spring and renewal. Celebrating the coming rejuvenation of nature and life and the promise it has to offer. Enjoy!

I forgot to mention I top dressed the plants last night. The PGCs got a tsp of Stonington plant food mixed with kelp meal, equal parts. I was watering every day but have increased that to once at lights on and once a few hours prior to lights off. The plants seem to be responding well and the soil feels much fluffier instead of dry and crispy, especially around the sides.

I may have to setup an irrigation system to be able to exploit the fabric pots to their fullest. If I’m having to water twice daily in veg, it’s going to be three to four times daily in flower and I don’t want to have to water three times a day.

Happy Spring!

I’m getting antsy!! I showed my in laws the ways of cover cropping and no till last year. Their soil already feels 100% better.

I’m gonna run a few in ground cannabis plants for the next couple years just so we can pull out the synthetic and chemical fertilizers and restore the soil to equilibrium. The flowers likely won’t be very good for the first year or two but they’ll have done their job yanking all the pollutants out.

Here’s some more myco knowledge for folks. Plants have the ability to turn specific myco species on and off as needed. Since each species has specific functions, or specialities, the plant can pick and choose which it wants to activate.

This of course means that if we are applying myco, we should be looking at having a greater diversity of species. Diversity is king in nature. There are a lot of products out there that come with only one or two species of myco. While this is better than applying none, it’s not as good as applying many. Next time you’re looking for myco, I highly suggest Great White or something very similar. Not only does it come with a diverse variety of myco it also comes with a diverse collection of beneficial bacteria as well. Bacteria can be useful for things like nutrient cycling, disease resistance, and P uptake to name a few.

Now, one thing not often said that deserves repeating is, myco wont increase your yield or quality beyond its max. What this means is, if all of your limiting factors are dialed in and your plant is healthy and conditions are perfect, you won’t see a benefit. However, most grows aren’t perfect, indoors or out. We have temp swings, pest pressures, stressors, just to name a few. What myco does is smooth those hiccups out. With myco a missed watering is less stressful. Temp swings are less impactful. Pests and pathogens have a harder time breaking through. Myco helps to smooth all of this out, and keeps your minimum level raised.
I always put my spent shroom cakes into my soil for my plants. They love it!!!! Happy Tuesday!! 😎✌️

I’m getting antsy!! I showed my in laws the ways of cover cropping and no till last year. Their soil already feels 100% better.

I’m gonna run a few in ground cannabis plants for the next couple years just so we can pull out the synthetic and chemical fertilizers and restore the soil to equilibrium. The flowers likely won’t be very good for the first year or two but they’ll have done their job yanking all the pollutants out.
Cannabis to the rescue again!

Day 31, gave everyone a myco and microbe watering last night. I’m less concerned with the myco since I’ve already infected the plants. My main goal was to give some extra population to the nutrient cycling microbes. Bumped the ppms to 40, the plants have almost filled out the containers so at this point I can’t get enough calcium into the containers to satisfy them.

I always put my spent shroom cakes into my soil for my plants. They love it!!!! Happy Tuesday!! 😎✌️

I wanted to engage this earlier but had to go to work. I’m gonna preach a bit because we need more science based, organic preachers that are willing to say the things out loud that need to be said.

This is an excellent move for multiple reasons. First, cannabis uses multiple strains and types of fungus, not just myco. Within myco it uses multiple strains but it also benefits from saprophytic fungi, and a whole host of other fungi that all fill various roles in the soil and plant life.

Diversity is king of the jungle. The more beneficial bacteria and fungi you can get in, the less room for parasitic and undesirable stuff. That’s just pest and disease suppression, don’t get me started on genetics, health, quality, resilience, tolerance, etc.

There’s also the fact that the fungi you can actually see is packed with nutrients that a plant loves. When that fungi gets tossed into the soil, it’s basically what synthetics try to accomplish with chelators. That fungi body will release plant available nutrients as it decomposes in the soil. This doesn’t even count all the nutrients tied up in its mycelium, nor does it account for the awesome organic matter it provides.

For too long we have allowed Big fertilizers and chemical industries to dictate how we grow and think of growing. Bacteria was a bad word and fungi meant something wasn’t right. Even today there are people who hear these words and instantly think negative thoughts. It was all about sterility and cramming as many macronutrients down a plants throat as possible. That’s why your synthetic products never taste as good, but you better believe they’re huge. The vast systems and intricacies of a healthy soil biology growing with a plant are things we can’t even come close to replicating yet. We’re still trying to convince people to stop destroying their soil for a subpar harvest. It’s such short term narrow minded thinking, but it generates profits and gives people a job, even if that job is destroying our future.

You’re on the right path. Returning that life to the soil is the very first and most important step. In case people needed any more proof, the world’s largest pumpkins did not start shattering records until they began using biological and organic methods. They have found that using 80% organic biological methods with a 20% use of certain synthetic nutrients, at certain times, produces pumpkins over 2500 lbs. That’s massive, and it only happens when the grower uses the biology in the soil that has been there for millions of years until in our arrogance, we thought we could grow better than earth.

I wanted to engage this earlier but had to go to work. I’m gonna preach a bit because we need more science based, organic preachers that are willing to say the things out loud that need to be said.

This is an excellent move for multiple reasons. First, cannabis uses multiple strains and types of fungus, not just myco. Within myco it uses multiple strains but it also benefits from saprophytic fungi, and a whole host of other fungi that all fill various roles in the soil and plant life.

Diversity is king of the jungle. The more beneficial bacteria and fungi you can get in, the less room for parasitic and undesirable stuff. That’s just pest and disease suppression, don’t get me started on genetics, health, quality, resilience, tolerance, etc.

There’s also the fact that the fungi you can actually see is packed with nutrients that a plant loves. When that fungi gets tossed into the soil, it’s basically what synthetics try to accomplish with chelators. That fungi body will release plant available nutrients as it decomposes in the soil. This doesn’t even count all the nutrients tied up in its mycelium, nor does it account for the awesome organic matter it provides.

For too long we have allowed Big fertilizers and chemical industries to dictate how we grow and think of growing. Bacteria was a bad word and fungi meant something wasn’t right. Even today there are people who hear these words and instantly think negative thoughts. It was all about sterility and cramming as many macronutrients down a plants throat as possible. That’s why your synthetic products never taste as good, but you better believe they’re huge. The vast systems and intricacies of a healthy soil biology growing with a plant are things we can’t even come close to replicating yet. We’re still trying to convince people to stop destroying their soil for a subpar harvest. It’s such short term narrow minded thinking, but it generates profits and gives people a job, even if that job is destroying our future.

You’re on the right path. Returning that life to the soil is the very first and most important step. In case people needed any more proof, the world’s largest pumpkins did not start shattering records until they began using biological and organic methods. They have found that using 80% organic biological methods with a 20% use of certain synthetic nutrients, at certain times, produces pumpkins over 2500 lbs. That’s massive, and it only happens when the grower uses the biology in the soil that has been there for millions of years until in our arrogance, we thought we could grow better than earth.
The only reason mineral salt based nutrient would be a bad thing is their overuse and regulations. You may end up with the same problems in a overly amended organic soil.

Heavy metals is a problem with many organic amendmendts but not very present in any bottled nutrients or mineral salts.

Some strains taste way better running synthetics. A good example is Super Lemon Haze that has a strong lemony taste with mineral based nutrients but taste earthy and bland with organics.

I think it's getting old to bash what you're not doing yourself? It's never the method that's the problem, it's how it's been regulated and implemented.

You start your post with bashing synthetics but end it with this: "They have found that using 80% organic biological methods with a 20% use of certain synthetic nutrients, at certain times, produces pumpkins over 2500 lbs"

That's what most Cannabis grower with great results already do indoors, they mix both. Mineral nutrient with organic amendmendts with trace minerals and humates.

You can have great results doing both but saying one method is better than the other is only down to personal preference.

The only reason mineral salt based nutrient would be a bad thing is their overuse and regulations. You may end up with the same problems in a overly amended organic soil.

Heavy metals is a problem with many organic amendmendts but not very present in any bottled nutrients or mineral salts.

Some strains taste way better running synthetics. A good example is Super Lemon Haze that has a strong lemony taste with mineral based nutrients but taste earthy and bland with organics.

I think it's getting old to bash what you're not doing yourself? It's never the method that's the problem, it's how it's been regulated and implemented.

You start your post with bashing synthetics but end it with this: "They have found that using 80% organic biological methods with a 20% use of certain synthetic nutrients, at certain times, produces pumpkins over 2500 lbs"

That's what most Cannabis grower with great results already do indoors, they mix both. Mineral nutrient with organic amendmendts with trace minerals and humates.

You can have great results doing both but saying one method is better than the other is only down to personal preference.

This is what I read from your post:

IMG_8090.jpeg

Worms did not look as bad as I anticipated. Should take about 3ish days for them to get over transportation and get to work in the bin.

IMG_8089.jpeg

Worms did not look as bad as I anticipated. Should take about 3ish days for them to get over transportation and get to work in the bin.

IMG_8089.jpeg
Now we're getting somewhere! When I first heard of "living soil", this is exactly what I imagined. Now I understand I can't see most of the living organisms in living soil but I can see these even though they are potentially fish bait. :cool: Do they add to the aeration and oxygenation of the rhizosphere as well as adding castings?

Now we're getting somewhere! When I first heard of "living soil", this is exactly what I imagined. Now I understand I can't see most of the living organisms in living soil but I can see these even though they are potentially fish bait. :cool: Do they add to the aeration and oxygenation of the rhizosphere as well as adding castings?

Absolutely they do, your thinking is right on point! Here’s a couple diagrams of the soil food web so you can get a better visual on it:

IMG_8093.jpeg
IMG_8092.jpeg

So everyone plays a part, but worms especially have a huge role. They can aerate the root zone/container/soil just by their movement alone. This of course increases oxygen at the roots, just as you were thinking. It also helps the rest of the soil food web by creating tiny tunnels they can traverse easier. Worms can also help your microbes spread out and colonize further by letting them hitch a ride to new places as they move around the soil. They’ll reproduce quickly and self regulate their population.

We haven’t even gotten to the castings yet! Worms are awesome!

I seem to remember this being a literary device in the book "Farmer in the Sky" by Robert Heinlein (1950). They were terraforming Ganymede, one of Jupiter's moons. They ground up the sterile, rocky surface then added worms followed by other additives to create something crops would grow in.

Whew that’s a blast from the past lol. Once upon a time, all of us knew how to care for the land, knew how to work it for ourselves, knew how to keep the balance. That’s all gone now. It shows you though, that this information was already there before massive chemical and fertilizer companies took over and pushed their propaganda post world war 2 directly aided by our government.

They sold the poison then they sold the cure, and now they’ve got tons of land locked into a death spiral of their making. They’ve done it for so long now, people are rediscovering information we used to know before we allowed profits to trump stewardship of the land.

These big corporations know this as well, that’s why their main RnD focus for years now has been microbes and biological methods. They salted the earth, offered the “cure”, now they want to be first in line with a claim on natures actors. It’s a wicked system designed by wicked people based in lies and conflict.

Let me add real quick, I’m not talking about Joe Blow growing 6 plants in his closet using coco and liquid nutrients. I’m talking massive corporations, and industries, that are directly responsible for the extreme degradation and destruction of our entire planet.

I bought 500 and there’s definitely not 500 in this picture lol. They’re already digging in so I assume the majority have already dove away from the light. I’ll give them a couple days then start digging around and taking a look.

IMG_8108.jpeg

Day 32. 7 days left in the current containers then we will perform our final transplant.

We will be putting the manifolded plants into 5 gallon containers and the untopped plants into 3 gallons. I will let them veg for 3 weeks before flipping to flower. I will use 4 spikes in the 3 gallon and 2 spikes in the 5 gallon. I’ll cover those mixes and how I do it when it happens.

Back
Top Bottom