Konk's 1st Grow: ON Canada

Plants are 19 weeks from seed today. The quarantine 2 are probably good to go, they've looked cooked for a week and have been flowering about 9 weeks.

The weed wagon girls are still looking like they're filling and plumping, but each plant now has some purple on a leaf and Plant #3 had 3 flowers yesterday showing this on the leaves.

The bag ladies have reached the 8 weeks of flowering the vendor said they would need. I had planned to get warmed up with the two spares, but if this new coppering around the bud site is spreading or an issue, she gone.

Following the powerful leaders of the world here and going with, "it is what it is". There isn't much I am going to do now to correct anything.

Looked through this thread

Dunno, various nutrient build up, weather seem plausible.

Note: there is a really good image of phosphorous deficiency during flowering and it is nothing like the purple I have seen on Plant #4...

Added:
This is so good for newbies, like me!

:drool: they're looking great Konk.

Found this on the interwebs, not sure if you seen it your journey.

The change in color is generally attributed to the appearance of anthocyanin, a water-soluble pigment that plants generate either due to their genes or due to potassium deficiency, and low temperatures can also influence color change. Sometimes your plants might trick you, showing colors due to nitrogen excess and you end up thinking that the color change is due to its genes; you need to make sure you’re using the right substrate and fertilizers. Nitrogen excess doesn’t just manifest itself by making your plants’ leaves darker; it also shows up in the stems and trunk, which will turn purple. Plants that change color due to genes tend to do so in the buds as well, making for some extremely attractive colorful buds. This color change isn’t adjustable, so it’s not possible to stop your plants changing color if it’s in their genes.

If it’s not in their genes, it could also be due to a lack of phosphorus which tends to come out during the flowering phase, maintaining a healthy green during the growth period and at around the fourth flowering week the leaves will begin turning purple, lilac or slightly red. Although, if you automatically assume that this is because of the temperature, then you’ll continue with your crop as if this feature was simply aesthetic, but it’s an easy mistake to make as your plants are actually giving you an important indication that they’re lacking something, and you’ll definitely notice it in the final yield of your crop. If this is the case, the coloring will sometimes be accompanied by yellowish welts on the leaves which is quite easy to fix; a few waterings with a good fertilizer rich in potassium should be able to improve your plants health, although this solution doesn’t always fix the problem completely. Sometimes the lack of potassium can be due to an excess of salts, in which case you’d need to wash your plants’ roots out and then fertilize. There are some cases in which you can find this balance of nutrients in the substrate but due to an incorrect pH level the coloring can still appear. To solve this, wash the roots and adjust the pH: remember to always water your plants with the correct pH. You’ll know the issue has been solved when your plants’ color doesn’t begin getting worse or darker, and the new leaves grow out green and healthy. This almost always happens with acidic pH levels, and basic pH levels tend to turn the leaves a slight yellow color.

Some strains can also turn purple or blueish in cold temperatures, around 10ºC; remember that cannabis plants prefer temperatures between 20 and 30 degrees, although indica strains can put up with colder temperatures than sativa strains. If you correct the temperature, your plants should go back to their original color. This phenomenon is called Ruby, and it’s the same thing that occurs in blood oranges, which need cooler temperatures to turn red. The appearance of these pigments is due to a change of DNA in just one section of the plant, known as retrotransposons.

Like we said before, these colors are due to anthocyanins, flavonoids that are naturally present in plants and can be found in the leaves, stems, branches, flowers and even in the roots. Depending on the strain and crop conditions, these flavonoids might choose to show themselves, and an acidic pH can also increase the chances of the anthocyanins being released, causing a dark purple color to appear. Their initial function is to protect the plant from UV rays as well as pathogens by changing color, thought of as a defense mechanism against predators.

It seems that anthocyanins have a series of important properties as well; anti-inflammatory, pain relief and neuro-protectant. There are some strict relationships between anthocyanins and CB1 and CB2 receptors, as well as having come to light that a diet rich in anthocyanins can improve health, including the cardiovascular system, preventing obesity etc. although in this particular case anthocyanins in cannabis don’t have any direct effects when smoked, although they might be more effective in infusions like tea.

Either way you'll come out with rewards for your efforts.

:goodluck:

:drool: they're looking great Konk.

Found this on the interwebs, not sure if you seen it your journey.

The change in color is generally attributed to the appearance of anthocyanin, a water-soluble pigment that plants generate either due to their genes or due to potassium deficiency, and low temperatures can also influence color change. Sometimes your plants might trick you, showing colors due to nitrogen excess and you end up thinking that the color change is due to its genes; you need to make sure you’re using the right substrate and fertilizers. Nitrogen excess doesn’t just manifest itself by making your plants’ leaves darker; it also shows up in the stems and trunk, which will turn purple. Plants that change color due to genes tend to do so in the buds as well, making for some extremely attractive colorful buds. This color change isn’t adjustable, so it’s not possible to stop your plants changing color if it’s in their genes.

If it’s not in their genes, it could also be due to a lack of phosphorus which tends to come out during the flowering phase, maintaining a healthy green during the growth period and at around the fourth flowering week the leaves will begin turning purple, lilac or slightly red. Although, if you automatically assume that this is because of the temperature, then you’ll continue with your crop as if this feature was simply aesthetic, but it’s an easy mistake to make as your plants are actually giving you an important indication that they’re lacking something, and you’ll definitely notice it in the final yield of your crop. If this is the case, the coloring will sometimes be accompanied by yellowish welts on the leaves which is quite easy to fix; a few waterings with a good fertilizer rich in potassium should be able to improve your plants health, although this solution doesn’t always fix the problem completely. Sometimes the lack of potassium can be due to an excess of salts, in which case you’d need to wash your plants’ roots out and then fertilize. There are some cases in which you can find this balance of nutrients in the substrate but due to an incorrect pH level the coloring can still appear. To solve this, wash the roots and adjust the pH: remember to always water your plants with the correct pH. You’ll know the issue has been solved when your plants’ color doesn’t begin getting worse or darker, and the new leaves grow out green and healthy. This almost always happens with acidic pH levels, and basic pH levels tend to turn the leaves a slight yellow color.

Some strains can also turn purple or blueish in cold temperatures, around 10ºC; remember that cannabis plants prefer temperatures between 20 and 30 degrees, although indica strains can put up with colder temperatures than sativa strains. If you correct the temperature, your plants should go back to their original color. This phenomenon is called Ruby, and it’s the same thing that occurs in blood oranges, which need cooler temperatures to turn red. The appearance of these pigments is due to a change of DNA in just one section of the plant, known as retrotransposons.

Like we said before, these colors are due to anthocyanins, flavonoids that are naturally present in plants and can be found in the leaves, stems, branches, flowers and even in the roots. Depending on the strain and crop conditions, these flavonoids might choose to show themselves, and an acidic pH can also increase the chances of the anthocyanins being released, causing a dark purple color to appear. Their initial function is to protect the plant from UV rays as well as pathogens by changing color, thought of as a defense mechanism against predators.

It seems that anthocyanins have a series of important properties as well; anti-inflammatory, pain relief and neuro-protectant. There are some strict relationships between anthocyanins and CB1 and CB2 receptors, as well as having come to light that a diet rich in anthocyanins can improve health, including the cardiovascular system, preventing obesity etc. although in this particular case anthocyanins in cannabis don’t have any direct effects when smoked, although they might be more effective in infusions like tea.

Either way you'll come out with rewards for your efforts.

:goodluck:
Forgive me, I can be slow, eh... This is the same as I guessed and Patient Puffer mentioned "anthocyanin", right?

Hey Konk. I concur with Beanie. The purpling is most likely due to your temps, if it's on your leaves. Chlorophyll leaves and anthocyanins replace them and turns plants colors. If it's not on your leaves and you are referring to your stems or stalks, it could be 2 things. 1 is could purely be genetics. My BcM×Bw i ran this year (home made) has purple/red stems when exposed to the sun. The "Bw" (Blue Water) in the pairing grows with that trait and the offspring display the same trait. I have also read of the potential deficiency you speak of. I have never seen it in person.

I am on the same page. This is a broken down further explanation, yes? :lot-o-toke: I compared them and appreciate the extra notes, thanks Kodiak!

I am a few gummies, bowls and day drinks behind...I might have to drive lol

19 weeks from seed, offically 8 weeks of flower as per the vendor...
Bud shots Lemon Sapphire in order plants 1-4

2nd image in, the wilty leaf, I used stoneotter's bud rot visual (in my signature) to investigate that spot but it looks like just the leaf. Digging deeper only the leaf is sad, inside looks not brown or rusty. Thanks for that gem!

The spares, ya, they're rough

It isn't raining, I'm stalling waiting on a call though and am too big a willow to start and risk getting called away. :rolleyes:

19 weeks from seed, offically 8 weeks of flower as per the vendor...
Bud shots Lemon Sapphire in order plants 1-4

2nd image in, the wilty leaf, I used stoneotter's bud rot visual (in my signature) to investigate that spot but it looks like just the leaf. Digging deeper only the leaf is sad, inside looks not brown or rusty. Thanks for that gem!

The spares, ya, they're rough

It isn't raining, I'm stalling waiting on a call though and am too big a willow to start and risk getting called away. :rolleyes:
Good job, Eh-mistress!

Forgive me, I can be slow, eh... This is the same as I guessed and Patient Puffer mentioned "anthocyanin", right?

I am on the same page. This is a broken down further explanation, yes? :lot-o-toke: I compared them and appreciate the extra notes, thanks Kodiak!

I was catching up, and apparently that was a post i hadn't posted, and yes it was to back up everyone's ideas, weather/nutrients/genetics.
And added to Puffers explanation.

What I found interesting, learning is fun, is that purple cannabis, like purple fruit/vegetables, have the antioxidants anthocyanins.

Anywho, keep up the good work eh.
:ganjamon: :yummy:

What is eh? Is it like ummm?
Kinda sorta, and so much more, I found this that seems to explain it well.

Pronounced “ay”. This word is the classic term used in everyday Canadian vernacular. Used to indicate that you don’t understand something, can’t believe something is true or if you want the person to respond. Similar to “huh”, “right?” and “what?” commonly found in U.S. vocabulary.

:peace:

What is eh? Is it like ummm?
Found this article, it includes the chart of sample uses, it is like um, ok, yes. Pronounced "A".

https://thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/eh#
Type of EhSample Sentence
1. Statement of opinionNice day, eh?
2. Statements of factIt goes over here, eh?
3. CommandsOpen the window, eh?
Think about it, eh?
4. ExclamationsWhat a game, eh?
5. QuestionsWhat are they trying to do, eh?
6. To mean “pardon”Eh? What did you say?
7. In fixed expressionsThanks, eh?
I know, eh?
8. InsultsYou’re a real snob, eh?
9. AccusationsYou took the last piece, eh?
10. Telling a story [the narrative eh]This guy is up on the 27th floor, eh? then he gets out on the ledge, eh...

I was catching up, and apparently that was a post i hadn't posted, and yes it was to back up everyone's ideas, weather/nutrients/genetics.
And added to Puffers explanation.

What I found interesting, learning is fun, is that purple cannabis, like purple fruit/vegetables, have the antioxidants anthocyanins.

Anywho, keep up the good work eh.
:ganjamon: :yummy:

Pronounced “ay”. This word is the classic term used in everyday Canadian vernacular. Used to indicate that you don’t understand something, can’t believe something is true or if you want the person to respond. Similar to “huh”, “right?” and “what?” commonly found in U.S. vocabulary.

I saw the size of the article and thought, ugh no, what fresh hell is this. :eek: I read it twice and knew it was good lol I didn't expect it to be an extrapolation with reader friendly lanuage. Super helpful!
^ auto correct changed that reader to reafer twice :rofl:

Found this article, it includes the chart of sample uses, it is like um, ok, yes. Pronounced "A".

Eh | The Canadian Encyclopedia
Type of EhSample Sentence
1. Statement of opinionNice day, eh?
2. Statements of factIt goes over here, eh?
3. CommandsOpen the window, eh?
Think about it, eh?
4. ExclamationsWhat a game, eh?
5. QuestionsWhat are they trying to do, eh?
6. To mean “pardon”Eh? What did you say?
7. In fixed expressionsThanks, eh?
I know, eh?
8. InsultsYou’re a real snob, eh?
9. AccusationsYou took the last piece, eh?
10. Telling a story [the narrative eh]This guy is up on the 27th floor, eh? then he gets out on the ledge, eh...

I saw the size of the article and thought, ugh no, what fresh hell is this. :eek: I read it twice and knew it was good lol I didn't expect it to be an extrapolation with reader friendly lanuage. Super helpful!
^ auto correct changed that reader to reafer twice :rofl:
I‘m picking up what you’re putting down maple leaf.

Okay, it’s basically bogan aye. We say aye In many of those examples except for 4. and 5. For those two a bogan like me would prolly say fuckface. It can be used as both a term of endearment and a sledge.

Totes get it, aye ;)

Never did get that phone call, had no internet and the 2 quarantine plants had been in the rain all day...
I trimmed them on the plant, chopped off branches, washed in the celt's bud wash recipe (in my signature), hung them over night, trimmed them into 32g/33g wet into a $hit load of paper bags and wandered away.
412g as I trimmed into bags and 4 seeds. I am so flying by the seat of my pants here... :lot-o-toke:

So what are the triches looking like? Coming up on that window fast.
20201017_105302.jpg

The 4 lemon sapphire bag ladies are either at stage 2 or 4 in the pic above, swiped from a botany page...I dunno they may be clear or white? They just hit 8 weeks on Thursday and that is their minimal growth time, I am guessing. I worked with the loupe and maginfier app and am just gonna watch and wait. The weather may ultimately dictate how long I can wait.

20201017_105302.jpg

The 4 lemon sapphire bag ladies are either at stage 2 or 4 in the pic above, swiped from a botany page...I dunno they may be clear or white? They just hit 8 weeks on Thursday and that is their minimal growth time, I am guessing. I worked with the loupe and maginfier app and am just gonna watch and wait. The weather may ulimately dictate how long I can wait.
Nice chart. I like that one and I've looked at many lately. I think the time of the chop is theost important time of the grow. I check triches daily when I get 60 days in. Of course that's longer for sativa/ haze but when I near the breeder suggested flower time I'm checking daily. I like mine to be all cloudy, milky, and just a tiny bit of amber. I want to see fat bulbs at the end of those triches too. If there's any clear there just not done to my liking. I'm guessing you have another 1.5 weeks. I hope your weather holds up.

Nice chart. I like that one and I've looked at many lately. I think the time of the chop is theost important time of the grow. I check triches daily when I get 60 days in. Of course that's longer for sativa/ haze but when I near the breeder suggested flower time I'm checking daily. I like mine to be all cloudy, milky, and just a tiny bit of amber. I want to see fat bulbs at the end of those triches too. If there's any clear there just not done to my liking. I'm guessing you have another 1.5 weeks. I hope your weather holds up.
I have today that is dry and sunny, then will try to limp them along in the garage...total heat score parking that weed wagon in my driveway for 15 minute breaks in the rain maybe...that's where I am at. They look nice and puffy, but I want couch lock or deep enough that I forgot where the couch is, you know.

I think #3 with the rusty spots on her leaves may go first, but that is because she is the least happy of the bag ladies.

Back
Top Bottom