Let's Talk Pots

HigherTheHigh

Hello all, I hope anyone reading this anytime ever smiles and has a great day :Namaste:

Okay then so I'm looking for some information based on growers experienced with quick turn around harvests or those who use clones from roots to flower transition.

So after I've pheno hunted this year I'd like to run clones however I'm not to sure on what to really use anymore as I've tried basically everything and I'm still not really sold on many apart from the standard plain square plastic pots in which I got great root mass, I've since been using fabric pots and I'm never again using them as it's costing far to much along with not being able to reuse is also a down side.

So my question is what do people use for short 2-4 week coco veg time?

Hi HTH, I imagine everyone's environment/circumstances are different where not all solutions work great in all ways. I grow in plastic pots that I have heavily drilled out and I have then used some landscape fabric as a 'liner' to stop the soil falling out the holes. When I bought them there were no fabric pots available and I was uncertain how easy a fabric pot would be to secure the training I need to do in order to not let the plants get over 2.5 feet for my stealth/balcony purposes. A downside to drilled out pots is they have a very quick drying cycle which need watering once or twice a day in peak growth/heat times.
I have seen reusable fabric pots being sold now that have a 'peel open' velcro walls that may be great for what you want. Anyway, you asked..! :Rasta:

I just took some pictures of this yesterday as a matter of fact as I was moving from some cheap 3 gallon cloth containers up to a good 10 gallon final container, but I forgot to post them! Here is what I mean by cutting them away. I use a very sharp knife.

DSCF9038.JPG
DSCF9037.JPG

Hi HTH, I imagine everyone's environment/circumstances are different where not all solutions work great in all ways. I grow in plastic pots that I have heavily drilled out and I have then used some landscape fabric as a 'liner' to stop the soil falling out the holes. When I bought them there were no fabric pots available and I was uncertain how easy a fabric pot would be to secure the training I need to do in order to not let the plants get over 2.5 feet for my stealth/balcony purposes. A downside to drilled out pots is they have a very quick drying cycle which need watering once or twice a day in peak growth/heat times.
I have seen reusable fabric pots being sold now that have a 'peel open' velcro walls that may be great for what you want. Anyway, you asked..! :Rasta:
I was going to mention about doing this and keep changing the material instead after every run.

Seen those pots but I'm trying to steer clear of fabric pots just in case I end up with hermie that end up spitting pollen on to the pots.

Thanks for chiming in buddy!

I just took some pictures of this yesterday as a matter of fact as I was moving from some cheap 3 gallon cloth containers up to a good 10 gallon final container, but I forgot to post them! Here is what I mean by cutting them away. I use a very sharp knife.

DSCF9038.JPG
DSCF9037.JPG
Trying to steer away from fabric buddy but thanks for the advice!

So you aim for every 3 days on a 1 gallon, that's great to know that as I'm on planting clones soon.

to avoid cutting the old fabric grow bag away Shed and some of his crew set the fabric pot on a small column or cylinder and shuck the old bag down around the rootball, guess that depends on how compacted the soil becomes

think fabric pots are handy for air prune but one beautiful function of the plastic air pot is the ability to remove 4 screws and take the pot off the rootball leaving the entire rootball in tact

Sorry I mean every 36h they dry a 1gal pot out you then repot.
Maybe we are saying the same thing... still not sure. Using the wet/dry system there is no set time between waterings. Upon first putting them in 1g bags from the solo cups it takes about a week to first drain the pots and then every time after that it gets shorter and shorter between waterings. I decide when it is time to transplant when the rootball has gained sufficient strength to be able to drain the container it is in, in 36 hours or less, no matter what sized container I am in. I will not uppot until I have established a rootball.

DSCF9038.JPG
DSCF9037.JPG
So interesting how you tied it up

I was going to mention about doing this and keep changing the material instead after every run.

Seen those pots but I'm trying to steer clear of fabric pots just in case I end up with hermie that end up spitting pollen on to the pots.

Thanks for chiming in buddy!
To my understanding water does away with pollen or at least renders it useless. So possibly you could just drench the fabric pot if it does hermie or something similar and be okay. Obv I leave it up to you...

Back
Top Bottom