My 2nd LED Indoor Grow - White Widow x Big Bud & Assorted Supporting Cast

Whaddya mean, old man? It's already a jungle in there. :) Some of the branches are sitting around 10" above the screen now.
I'm kinda looking forward to watching this one flower as well.

Just as an FYI, The cage is 4 ft high on 3 sides and 2 ft high at the front just to give me greater access. Not that I'm gonna need 4 ft, but something tells me I just may need the 2 ft.

Although the tent is a 4x4, the scrog is only 32 inches square, just to give me room to move in there and have access. That being said, I have no doubt the buds in this grow will stretch well beyond that, especially if I do get that other light I mentioned. In a perverse way, it's almost like I'm holding back on that to see by how much I can break the 1 gram/1 watt barrier.

My LED is only 255 true watts and I came awfully close to that 1 gm/1 watt with my less than successful first grow.

So, the wire cage I recently installed is no more and the scrog is now a SOG.

The cage was a good idea, but it made it very difficult to replenish the reservoir. Furthermore, both the cage and scrog made draining the reservoir difficult and, as result of my efforts to do so, I snapped the 2" polystyrene I was using to sit the pots in. This has naturally necessitated some remedial action.

I have a plywood board that I have now cut to size and will put in place when she wakes up later tonight. It's just a shame that I hadn't got around to varnishing it with a waterproof varnish, but needs must.

All this has had many benefits and I can now reposition pots to better take advantage of the different growing patterns and can open it all up a bit. The scrog has served its purpose as far as LST goes, but, in this particular situation, it had become somewhat of a liability.

So, they are now awake and the new covers are in place. One plant in particular had knotted roots with a neighbour and there was a little gentle persuasion needed to separate them with some concomitant tearing of roots. Also, roots had totally encased a couple of the air stones and took some teasing to get them out.

Even though they had been LSTd from a very young age, the apical stems have once again assumed dominance and, if it wasn't for the extensive lateral growth, you would hardly know they had been trained at all.

I have to admit that it is like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders and I can breathe a great deal easier in regard to accessing them.

My PH pen and TDS meter arrived today and it was none too soon as my PH testing solution has almost finished. I'm still trying to come to grips with the TDS meter as it doesn't seem to make much sense. I changed one of the reservoirs yesterday morning and tonight that reads 2030 ppm. Confused, I mixed up a gallon of nutes at the same strength as I did for that reservoir and it measured 1300 ppm, which is about 100 ppm higher than I expected, but nothing too alarming. So how is it possible for the res to measure so high?

The other res, which I plan to change later in the week is reading even higher at 2440, whereas the auto with its top feed is reading 650 and is also due for a change later this week.

I know that we have soft water here as there is never an issue with lime scale so I was a bit surprised at the reading straight from the tap at 300 ppm. However, I've just tested some I drew this morning and that reads 121. So that seems fine to me and would account for the reading of the nutes I just mixed up being about 100 higher than I expected.

As space and height above the scrog is no longer an issue, I have just attached some weights to the top of some of the higher branches and bent them over a little.

I know AN states that up to 150ppm is fine with ph perfect

Sent from my iPad using 420 Magazine

I'm using the GH trio and don't have too much of an issue with the ppm of the fresh nute solution, but I'm left scratching my head with the levels in the DWC reservoirs. The PH in both of them is just over 6 and stable at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom