My First Attempt

Hey Subbie!

Looking great so far! Consider me subscribed!

I am very curious to see how your seed based GDP turns out having been growing Ken's original clone only strain for several cycles with the consistent awesome and unique results that only genuine GDP can provide!

Keep up the good work and good luck with all the grows! :)

Thanx Goose, I'll get some new pic's up tomorrow. I topped them 3 days ago and the growth is amazing.

Cool! You can already see the big wide Indica style leaves even at this early stage. A few of mine out back have some individual fan leaves that are 4 inches WIDE and close to 12 inches long! The entire leaf will easily span a standard dinner plate!

Its looking like Ken really did get that strain into seed form! I was dubious when I first heard about this GDP seed stock he was selling, but from what I am seeing so far with those seedlings, it sure as hell looks like my GDP so far! :thumb:

Hopefully, you will have an option to finish them in 35-38 degree temps to get them to go full purple. At least that is what the original clone only GDP needs for total purple transformation. I know not everyone has the luxury I do with my location and outdoor only grows, but perhaps a small fridge set to that temp could hold maybe one of those plants at week 7-9 during the night cycle. Thats when they want it COLD! :thumb:

Looking foward to you next update! :)

GG7, is that f degrees then, also do you think this strain is the exact same strain that was clone only back in thee day, id possibly like to give it a try by the sounds of what its like, any good places to get some seeds from

Here we are with the Friday update at 3 weeks. I topped them 3 days ago.

Group Shot
April_2012_9_of_4_.jpg

GDP
April_2012_10_of_4_.jpg

GDP
April_2012_11_of_4_.jpg

Bay 11
April_2012_12_of_4_.jpg

GG7, is that f degrees then, also do you think this strain is the exact same strain that was clone only back in thee day, id possibly like to give it a try by the sounds of what its like, any good places to get some seeds from

That would be 35-38 F.

I can't say that it is exact, but it would probably be the closest you could get to the original, and knowing how quality conscious Ken E. is about this stuff, it will definitely be some quality MMJ! :) I'd call around locally and see if any of your dispensaries sell his line.

Here we are with the Friday update at 3 weeks. I topped them 3 days ago.

Group Shot
April_2012_9_of_4_.jpg

GDP
April_2012_10_of_4_.jpg

GDP
April_2012_11_of_4_.jpg

Bay 11
April_2012_12_of_4_.jpg

Looking GREAT!

You will need to start thinking about transplanting those to bigger pots in the next 5-7 days. GDP grows a pretty dense root structure quickly, so they might already be circling the bottom of those pots, and you will want to get them into at least 3.5 gallon pots if not larger soon.

If using conventional pots, I would suggest 5 gallon or larger depending on your grow space and how much room you have for all these when they are in larger pots.

I of course always recommend going with "Air Pots" cause you can get by with smaller diameter sizes without compromising on a good root ball.

Goose are u familar with Super Soil? When they are transplanted, and I had hoped to sex them before transplanting, I will be using super soil on the botton and reg soil on top. Which leads me to the next question. How would u rate GDP for nutrient needs? Do they need alot, a little?

Also I think the Roots Organic soil brought in thrips, I'm seeing some marks on the leaves. Will watch carefully, ordered some Spinosap in case.

Thanx!

Goose are u familar with Super Soil? When they are transplanted, and I had hoped to sex them before transplanting, I will be using super soil on the botton and reg soil on top. Which leads me to the next question. How would u rate GDP for nutrient needs? Do they need alot, a little?

Also I think the Roots Organic soil brought in thrips, I'm seeing some marks on the leaves. Will watch carefully, ordered some Spinosap in case.

Thanx!

Not familiar with Super Soil, but any quality potting soil should work well. For the Air Pots I use Black Gold Waterhold Cocoblend for all of mine, but they are outside. That stuff is a little more tricky indoors cause you have less ET (Evapotransporation) due to the lack of the heat from the sun and of course the outdoor winds and lower humidity during the day. Inside, you have to be more careful about the pots getting too saturated.

Nutirent wise, I would say they are average. While in veg mode I feed mine Fox Farm Grow Big once every 2 weeks (2 TBS per gallon) and just water as needed in between that.

Another good soil is Happy Frog potting soil. I use that for my pepper plants. Fox Farm Ocean Forest is nearly identical to the Frog, so either one can work well in conventional pots.

The feeding schedule gets a lot more involved when they go into flower cause you need to change over to something suited to flower mode. I use Fox Farm Tiger Bloom, and occasional feeds of Black Molasses heading into weeks 6-7. After that I start flushing them with my home made Clearex solution for the last 1-2 weeks.

IF you want to sex them before you move them to bigger pots, thats fine, but if you start seeing any drooping of the leaves, that would indicate root binding and that means that the roots are circling the bottom of your current pots and really should be moved to something larger regardless of their age, height etc..

When my sprouts get large enough to take a cutting, I will take a lower branch from each plant and put them into my Turbo Klone cloner under 12/12 to see which ones are which sex. When I do this, I use my B1 and Seaweed extract solution for the cloning water instead of the usual formulation for actual cloning. I number each plant so I know which is which, and once these cuttings start to show sex, I know what I have growing out back and can take steps accordingly. IF they actually root during this sex test so much the better! :thumb:

I'm planning to flower the male Harlequin plants so I can get some pollen to use for future pollenation to make more seeds as backup, and I am also planning to put a GDP in the flower room with the males to get some Harlequin/GDP seeds for future use.

I did this last year with my Purple Urkle and Purple White Rhino male and these are the four PR seeds I have sprouting right now out back.

The super soil (SS) thing is really interesting. The idea is to do your final transplant into a #10 pot with (strain dependent) 1/3 to 1/2 of the bottom filled with the 'hot' mixture, super soil. And then buffering it in the middle by mixing potting soil with the SS maybe a couple of inches worth then just potting soil the rest of the way. The idea is for the roots to start hitting the nutes (SS) when in flower. Just add water, nothing else. If the plant gets really big toward the end and needs more nutes, they say to top dress with a lil more SS and water.

I can give u links to Subcool (TGA Seeds) who came up with the process. I actually have some of his seeds, I just dont have the room atm :)

I have found that the quality of the root ball is key to the ultimate quality of the bud. That's why I use Air Pots like many of the other growers on here like Old Med Man.

Check em out.

Here is a LINK to where I buy mine. They ship all over, so you might want to consider switching over to these going forward if you plan to continuing to grow your own MMJ. COIR base soil like the Cocolend I use is hands down the best soil medium to use with these, cause you want a fine unrestricted soil type so the roots can find their way out to the air holes on the sides of the Air Pots.

They aren't cheap, but since they are totally reuseable, once you make the initial investment you can use your Air Pot collection for many years to come!

Based on my years of growing experience, I have found that the actual POT is far more important than the soil medium you use provided that you use something of quality. What you add to that soil and how dense and healthy the root structure becomes is what makes the difference between good weed and GREAT weed! :thumb:

you right that aint cheap, couldnt you just poke holes around the edge of a pot, wouldnt that work the same, i mean all that air pot does it allow the root to grow out towards the whole where it takes in oxygen and dies off prevent the pot becoming root bound, wouldnt poking small holes in the pot from the inside create the same affect, or heat something up to push the plastic out before poking a whole in it, im sure i could us a blow torch and piece of metal to heat up and melt the plastic into a cone and then poke a whole in the bit sticking out, cuz them are expensive, i mean could my idea work the same as them, they wont undo as easy but i could re-use it as many times as a like, i could heat something up like a small socket and then push this out from the inside of the pot giving me them bits sticking out then poke holes in the bit sticking out, i dont think it would take long to do and when i can buy 3gallon pots for less than a quid it wouldnt cost much to buy a few pots to poke holes in,

There is more to it than the holes. The countours of the textured pot walls guides the roots to the holes where they get air pruned. Don't think punching a bunch of holes into a conventional pot would work as well.

The thing I like about the Air Pots in addition to how much healthier the plants are when grown in them is after the harvest.

All you do is unscrew the two fasteners from the pot and unwind it from around the soil and the bottom piece just falls away leaving a solid pot shaped block of soil. You can then put them into a wheel barrow or other large container and shake the root ball loose from the soil and then recycle the soil for next season. This is especially cost saving when using expensive soils that can be reused at least twice.

When transplanting from a smaller Air Pot to a larger one, you do the same thing. You are left with a stable solid root ball surrounded by the soil of the rest of the pot. Just set that into your larger pot and fill in around the edges. The plant doesn't even know it has been transplanted since there is absolutely zero root shock or stress involved.

Try doing that with a 4 foot tall plant in a conventional pot! ;)

i know what your saying but it is expensive and i probably agree that they are worth their money, but to someone with a low budget its a lot to spend on even just 1 of those, but if you have been growing a while and have funds then i think its a brilliant idea, i did see the video of how the pot works on a site a while back and i think it is a good idea, and very easy to remove the outer pot as well, it is a clever idea who ever decided to come up with it,

i know what your saying but it is expensive and i probably agree that they are worth their money, but to someone with a low budget its a lot to spend on even just 1 of those, but if you have been growing a while and have funds then i think its a brilliant idea, i did see the video of how the pot works on a site a while back and i think it is a good idea, and very easy to remove the outer pot as well, it is a clever idea who ever decided to come up with it,

You are right that for a small personal grow it may not be worth the investment, but I grow every year and also use these for my pepper plants so they make total economic sense for me. Not to mention how much better the plants do in them.

Lastly, during the off season, you just take them all apart, stack them flat and store them in the shed. I can get 40 Air Pots into a very small area just stacked up against the wall of our storage shed. Those 40 pots would fill the entire shed if left assembled as pots. ;)

i noticed that on the video i watched, they all come flat pack and the bottom is just a piece that the sides roll around to form a pot by clipping together, its a clever idea who thought of it and well designed, they could of made it like normal pots but they never they thought about storage and decided to make them all flat pack, im sure it wont be long before their are plenty of other people making them and selling their own style, but i can see it working out for someone like yourself, but for me just growing what im growing i dont think i could justify the cost of each pot, id only need 3 of the 3 gallon ones, who knows i might even buy 3 and give them a try, id only need 3 so its not like i got a big room to buy for is it, but for now ill use what i got, and the more people who buy them the cheaper they will cost,

Back
Top Bottom