My First Attempt

All looking great to me! :thumb:

You will have plenty of budding sites with your current topping efforts. I am expecting that you will end up with some impressive buds when the time comes! :)

Speaking of which... I need to start thinking about topping my GDP clones. They are getting close to 3 feet tall which is usually when I do that. No plans to activate the cloner yet though, so I won't be cloning any of the clipped off growing tips. Always hurts to just chuck them into the dumpster, but I've got plenty of GDP for now.

I plan to take a few cuttings for next year's mothers before June 21st when the sun hits its max hours of daylight. Up here, the plants will start to slowly enter into flower mode by early July to mid-July which is getting too late to take good cuttings for quick rooting. Trying to root cuttings that have started to enter flower mode is a PITA compared to fully veg mode cuttings. ;)

Thanx Goose. I'm almost at the 5 week point and the plants are still really short, gettign ansi to flip the switch but I WILL wait for the right time, wanna do this right. So I figure when the plants are about 36" will be the right time to flip them. I base this on the fact that my max height is going to be 5'.

This sound right?

You can VEG your plants for as long as you like indoors. As long as you give them at least 14 hours of daylight time (16 is best IMHO) they will keep vegging and growing taller.

In regards to basing flower timing on plant height. (I have done this in the past myself)...

Don't forget "THE STRETCH"!!

When the plant starts getting less than 13 hours of daylight... It will enter a brief phase that growers commonly refer to as "The Stretch". So take that into account as well if you have a height limit in your grow area. This normal growth spurt is the plant's last ditch effort to grow as much as possible before it is forced to focus all of its energies on producing bud. Depending on the strain, a "stretch" can add as much as a foot to the height of the plant by week 2 of 12/12. The average is about 6 inches vertically as well as horizontally.

I would advise that you take that into consideration in making your determination for when to put them into flower. Based on the average "stretch", plan on at least 6 inches of additional growth after your flip the timer over to flower mode! :thumb:

So am I to understand that once the plants go into 12/12 they only grow another 6 to 12 inches total, buds included? I thought I read they almost double. Seems like they would grow a lot taller with a 60 day ish flower time?

Confused....

You can VEG your plants for as long as you like indoors. As long as you give them at least 14 hours of daylight time (16 is best IMHO) they will keep vegging and growing taller.

In regards to basing flower timing on plant height. (I have done this in the past myself)...

Don't forget "THE STRETCH"!!

When the plant starts getting less than 13 hours of daylight... It will enter a brief phase that growers commonly refer to as "The Stretch". So take that into account as well if you have a height limit in your grow area. This normal growth spurt is the plant's last ditch effort to grow as much as possible before it is forced to focus all of its energies on producing bud. Depending on the strain, a "stretch" can add as much as a foot to the height of the plant by week 2 of 12/12. The average is about 6 inches vertically as well as horizontally.

I would advise that you take that into consideration in making your determination for when to put them into flower. Based on the average "stretch", plan on at least 6 inches of additional growth after your flip the timer over to flower mode! :thumb:

I'm just getting impatient, want to get into 12/12 to see the fireworks. You think if I open a bottle of red wine they'll sex out? LoL

plants usually show sex under veg schedule when the nodes stop growing opposite each other, so when the nodes either side of the branch stop growing exactly the same point just opposite each other then this is when they will show sex

So am I to understand that once the plants go into 12/12 they only grow another 6 to 12 inches total, buds included? I thought I read they almost double. Seems like they would grow a lot taller with a 60 day ish flower time?

Confused....

Vertical growth all but stops at about week #2 of 12/12. The buds will then begin to form at all of the growing tips and fill out from top to bottom. If you want 5 foot tall plants, then put them under 12/12 when they are getting close to 4 feet in veg. All strains are different, so how much stretch you get can vary by 50% or more.

I can tell you that Ken's Cut GDP puts out about 8" of additional vertical growth by week 2 of 12/12. Soon after that, vertical growth stops dead and the plant then begins filling out all the growing tips with flower tops and the flower buds begin forming from the tips down.

Hope that helps. :)

Week 5 update. As you can see everything is now in the bigger pots and barely fitting! Amazingly I even got the air conditioner in there, now I can keep the temps much more even.

So I think I'm good to go until I know which are male/female. The GDP's seem to be the bigger plants.

Week_53.jpg

looking good, cant wait to see how this all pans out, keeping my fingers crossed for many ladies for you

something i was reading the other day, you are more likely to get males if you soak the seeds in tissue then transplant to pots, now this is what i have read, the less stress the seeds have the more chance they are of being female, their may be something in this or their maybe not, ill try and find the link about the seed care and stress to female/male ratio, it was in another journal, if i can find it ill post it for you,

i soaked my seeds and and had about 4 males to 6 females, roughly, so who knows if their is something in it or not, im not the best to comments as i have not grown much, im sure someone else can jump in and give some advice on this

never knew that about the temps, i keep reading different things, it would be good if it worked, or is it just random and some people are lucky and get more fems and others end up with males, it will be interesting to find out

Hey Don, I found this quote from SubCool, the man who developed super soil and TGA Seeds .....

'All a seed needs to germinate is moisture and a temperature range between 50-90 and your good to go. There are other factors involved though and if you will germinate your seeds between 70-80 degrees you will have a better ratio of females. Warmer temperatures tend to produce more male plants.'

Week 6 Update

I took clones about 4 days ago that are under 12/12 for sexing purposes, I'll soon see what I have assuming the clones make it. As you can see the main tent is doing amazingly well. The tallest plant is almost 15 inches from the base of the soil. I have been cleaning up the bottom of the plants, removing vegitation etc, and have also been super cropping, its really weird to feel that crunch but its also kind of addicting, have to be careful not to over do it.

And here they are....

Week_6_a.jpg

Week_6_c.jpg

Week_6_c.jpg

Back
Top Bottom