N420 Grows Barney's Farm Orange Sherbert & Special Guests

Thanks N420, definitely something I would like to try as I grow as a grower haha, done the soil, busy with a coco grow which isn't being journaled but going pretty well at the moment. Last week of veg there. I think next I'll get a DWC grow going with one or two plants jst to see how it all works.

Keep it real brother

It can be more work than soil growing but the growth rates you can get in Dwc more then make up for the bit more work it is.
:laughtwo: Let's be honest, N420, it "is" more work than soil growing, there is no "can be" to it. I like growing DWC but I know going into to it that it's going to be a lot more labor intensive than a soil grow. Folks need to know that up front! :Rasta:

:laughtwo: Let's be honest, N420, it "is" more work than soil growing, there is no "can be" to it. I like growing DWC but I know going into to it that it's going to be a lot more labor intensive than a soil grow. Folks need to know that up front! :Rasta:

Haha scaring me off, maybe I should wait until my lighty is a bit older and he can help me haha

Having a young kid coco tends to even be a mission and get to feeds late. So Im glad I know it's a lot of work

Thanks @Grand Daddy Black

Haha scaring me off, maybe I should wait until my lighty is a bit older and he can help me haha

Having a young kid coco tends to even be a mission and get to feeds late. So Im glad I know it's a lot of work

Thanks @Grand Daddy Black
Not trying to scare you off, @Rhys777. It's a great way to grow. Big plants usually result. I'm lazy, and I started out growing DWC. So when I moved to soil, it was like the difference between making a chocolate mousse and making a glass of chocolate milk. :Rasta:

was like the difference between making a chocolate mousse and making a glass of chocolate milk

So what I gather from that the labour is definitely worth the reward? I'd much rather prefer a chocolate mousse :p

Once this pandemic is over I'm going to seriously look at setting one up and seeing how it goes

So what I gather from that the labour is definitely worth the reward? I'd much rather prefer a chocolate mousse :p

Once this pandemic is over I'm going to seriously look at setting one up and seeing how it goes
Go for it. I doubt you'll be disappointed! :Rasta:

ok ok it is is alot bit more work :rofl: I grew in promix for a year before I switched to Dwc and the soil is definitely less work. No lazy days in the garden with Dwc you have to check them every day and at the very least adjust the ph and as they get big your topping your res off daily. Once you get a feel for it though it can be very rewarding and to me I feel it's worth the extra work. I feel you Rhyss as far as the kids making it hard to spend time in the garden I have 2 kids under 7 and finding the time to get the garden work done can definitely be difficult at times.

Go for it Rhys! Just doing one bucket won't be to much of a commitment and you'll know if it's something you want to do. I jumped in with both feet when I started and did all my plants in Dwc I got alot of help from this site when I started and it made the transition from soil to Dwc alot easier. If you do end up setting it up let me know I'll help you get it figured.

ok ok it is is alot bit more work :rofl: I grew in promix for a year before I switched to Dwc and the soil is definitely less work. No lazy days in the garden with Dwc you have to check them every day and at the very least adjust the ph and as they get big your topping your res off daily. Once you get a feel for it though it can be very rewarding and to me I feel it's worth the extra work. I feel you Rhyss as far as the kids making it hard to spend time in the garden I have 2 kids under 7 and finding the time to get the garden work done can definitely be difficult at times.

Go for it Rhys! Just doing one bucket won't be to much of a commitment and you'll know if it's something you want to do. I jumped in with both feet when I started and did all my plants in Dwc I got alot of help from this site when I started and it made the transition from soil to Dwc alot easier. If you do end up setting it up let me know I'll help you get it figured.
N420, confession is good for the soul! :laughtwo:

Nice roots N.
I'm lazy, and I started out growing DWC. So when I moved to soil, it was like the difference between making a chocolate mousse and making a glass of chocolate milk. :Rasta:
So would growing in coco be like making a bowl of Coco Pops?

Good info! Was thinking about switching to dwc or a hydro of some sort thinking initial investment is more but more automatic. Stay on the soil side of things for a while longer. Hempy but would interesting

Good info! Was thinking about switching to dwc or a hydro of some sort thinking initial investment is more but more automatic. Stay on the soil side of things for a while longer. Hempy but would interesting
More automatic? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

No problem at all Vg I'm happy to see you! I couldn't be more sympathetic we have enough issues trying to get one of our kids to buckle down and do school work I can't imagine trying to get 3 to do it! They are letting up on restrictions a bit here and the girls are going to daycare today so Mrs. N and I can both go to work today, they are gonna be opening the schools back up in a couple of weeks and allowing kids to go back on a voluntary basis. We will see how the next couple of weeks plays out but I'm in no hurry to send them back. The daycare they are going to today only has a couple of kids so I feel ok sending them there.

The plant babies are doing well the Promix is kinda nice it's definitely easier without having to mess around with buckets I'm just sitting back and watching them do their thing.
How did daycare go??
I love Pro Mix too. Way too easy.
#lazyassgrower
Hats off to all you home-schooling parents! It's got to be quite a challenge. :Rasta:
Thanks. It's been tough.
I have ADHD and I have to teach math.
It's my worst nightmare come true.

Send help, please. :laughtwo:

Dwc isn't what I would call automatic, you only have to mix nutrients every 7 to 10 days when you change the res but the plants can drink pretty fast if everything is dialed in so your topping off daily. If I was wanting a more automated grow I would try some kind of top feed system for my soil plants. You could set the system up on a timer to come on to water them every couple of days then all you would have to do is keep a res topped up.

How did daycare go??
I love Pro Mix too. Way too easy.
#lazyassgrower
Daycare went well, there was only 4 kids there and my girls made up half of that so I felt comfortable sending them. I was most concerned about my oldest being bored hanging out with kids that are younger then her but she actually enjoyed it and said it was fun. It was actually pretty cute they made mother's day gifts for Mrs. N, it's kind of a tradition we have been sending our kids there for years and they always make mothers day gifts every year. This year of course with all this crap going on my daughter wasn't there during mothers day so this was the perfect opportunity, the girls were quite proud of their creations.
Thanks. It's been tough.
I have ADHD and I have to teach math.
It's my worst nightmare come true
I've got ADHD as well. Luckily my daughter is in grade 2 so the math work isn't too tough but I'm not looking forward to when she is older and wants help, I'm pretty terrible at math.

There are some good automatic hydro options which aren't DWC. NFT and recirculating systems are hydro systems which work pretty much on their own once set up. @Ganjagrandaddy is currently using an NFT system and says its the laziest grow that he's ever done. I have experience with recirculating dripper systems using clay pebbles as a medium and it is just a case of checking on the res every couple of days to make sure the PH is in the right place and the level isn't too low. They're not without their faults though just like everything else. They can be bulky and difficult to clean as well as access when plants are in full flower. I have had great fun and plenty of success with my dripper system and would definitely recommend to anyone who wants a hydro experience but with a bit of a safety buffer.

There are some good automatic hydro options which aren't DWC. NFT and recirculating systems are hydro systems which work pretty much on their own once set up. @Ganjagrandaddy is currently using an NFT system and says its the laziest grow that he's ever done. I have experience with recirculating dripper systems using clay pebbles as a medium and it is just a case of checking on the res every couple of days to make sure the PH is in the right place and the level isn't too low. They're not without their faults though just like everything else. They can be bulky and difficult to clean as well as access when plants are in full flower. I have had great fun and plenty of success with my dripper system and would definitely recommend to anyone who wants a hydro experience but with a bit of a safety buffer.
Thanks for that Prof, I have zero experience with any kind of dripper system appreciate it buddy.

Thanks for that Prof, I have zero experience with any kind of dripper system appreciate it buddy.
It is essentially the same as DWC in regards to looking after the res but you have a bit more breathing space as the plant roots aren't submerged in water. If the pump stopped working then there is a good 24 hours before the plants begin to suffer. The best thing about mine is you can run any medium you like with it including organic soil. You aren't supposed to run organic nutrients with it though as they can clog up the lines and go mouldy.
I may get one out again in the future but my current method is working well enough for me and it is pretty lazy. Not quite as lazy as Pro-Mix though as I still need to PH but the dumping of the water into the tray is strangely satisfying lol

Back
Top Bottom