New Grow: Starting From Square One

loudnoise

Hello all!

Let me start out this post by introducing myself. I am about 30 years old, and i have been a recreational marijuana smoker for a several years. I have several successful outdoor grow seasons under my belt, and a couple indoor adventures as well! I have been a, professional lurker in this forum for years!

I have learned ALOT here, and i have never really posted for advice up to this point (although i should have). The search tab is great, and i always find my answers, although not always what i want to hear!

Now, i am going to be growing 12 plants indoors (hopefully perpetually). My partner and I are medical patients in Ca. Right now im trying to iron out all the details. I am at the point of making the most crucial descisions about this grow, and im seeking some expert advice on how to set up my grow area!!

I am using Doc's kit for at least the first round in the room!! It looks like a proven mix! I still want to try rockwool, or coco again with a self watering setup, in a better environment. I already have 12 preteenish plants in the rooms closet starting to veg. The plants are as follows:

3 SFV cuttings (house of clones)
3 Ghost OG cuttings (house of clones)
And 6 bag seed.

I wont be growing all of the bag seeds out first go. I figure ill use 12 cuttings with proven genetics for the bread and butter, and eventually sneak in a small cutting of each later down the road. Seeds came from some really good "Gorrilla 4" and "GSC" bags. The gorrilla was phenominal. The nugs were huge, smelled amazing, and made your fingers so sticky, the blunt would stick to your finger when you try to split it!

Anyways, this will be my 3rd indoor grow. The first time was just one plant in the closet under a 250 hps (which got spider mites). Last time i grew i went way too hard with not enough experience. I had a horrible time, costed alot of cash, and was a horrible disaster (although not complete failure). I own my house, and i can do whatever i want. I have an extra room, it is about 10.5"X12", and has a 2"X 8" sliding closet. Last time i had a chinese 10x10 tent, and 2000 watts HPS with ventilation. Sounds awesome, but let me tell you; the most successful thing that came out of that grow was the learning experience, and maybe that i have all the electrical and ducting in place already.

First of all, the HEAT was insane!!! It made the whole house hot! It ran up the bill so high! Then i chose coco soiless medium, and it was a nightmare trying to keep them constantly manually wattered under all the heat. I did however come out about even or more, and i did go a couple rounds in that tent to harvest.

What would be the best utilization of the space, and how many lights/plants, and how would you set it up? Remember 10.5"×12"

This time around, I am looking for the absolute best, most cost efficient way for lighting. It sounds to me like the CXB3590 COB is the way to go. Does anyone have experiences with these vs others? Im looking for longevity, and efficiency. How many do you think i need? How should i configure, and driver selections.

Tent (what size) if any / multiple? I was thinking i want to veg inside the closet, but i might want a bigger area to veg in. Maybe 2 tents? If i dont use a tent i can save money, and ultimately have more space.

How do i control the heat? During winter, i can just vent in cold outside air, but the summer is HOT around here. Sometimes over 80 at night. Will the LED's be hot as well? Should i buy a mini split AC?

Here are some pics of the space along with some plants i had during the first try. I cant wait to get started again. This time im going to do alot of things very different. I know its makeshift now, but in the matter of a week or two, and ill start getting it all set up. Keep in mind, if i use the room raw, the carpet is coming out. It might come out either way.

I would contact @Rider509 or @PurpleGunRack . Both use and are very knowledgeable at creating Cobb or LED lighting. They may chime in here, as they're now linked.
If heat is the biggest issue, then switching complete from HPS to LED will have a huge impact, also I would imagine that humidity was a major problem if you were watering that much coco under HPS, have you thought about a soil grow instead, your pics look like soil?

What's your goal?

Generally speaking it's very handy to have at least 2 grow spaces, and since it's a long term solution your looking for -> have you thought about building individual rooms yourself rather than using tents?

To proper saturate 10x10 you need at least 4x 1000w SE HID lamps.

Doc's kit is minimum 7 gallon pots, so the plants will be large, depending on pot size and veg time it could be anything from 4 plants per 4x4 to 1 plant per 5x5.

You can't go lower than the ambient temperature without A/C.

Lighting depends on the lay out of your grow space(s) and what you want to acheive. :passitleft:

If you don't mind wading through a rambling, unorganized train-of-thought journal you can start here: Don't say I didn't warn you! But to save you some time I'd just suggest you build lights using the Samsung F Series Gen3 double row LED strips.

If I was you I would go ahead and get a a/c. If you have the funds you're better off getting a stand-up combo unit with heat and dehumidifier. You will be able to control your environment year around. I live in high heat and have to deal with high humidity also. I went to Walmart and bought mine. It was right at $500 after tax but it has been a life saver.✌️

EastCoastGhost has a good point. You've already got lights and no matter what you do you'll still need control over the growing environment. I rescind my suggestion on lights and concur with buying a good AC unit.

Finally got my 8 bulb T5 today!! Now my plants can finally get enough light to grow!! Its an 8 bulb, and 2 100W sylvania 3000K LED light bulbs to supplement the area on the end of the light. I also ripped out all the carpet, and cleaned the room up a bit!!

Sorry about the potato pics. I will use my camera next time!! Not much to see yet!!

I think the plan is to go with 2 or 4 1000W HPS lights in vented hoods. Im gonna run a small AC for this cycle, and eventually buy a mini split. I might have a killer deal on 2 kind xl1000's tomorrow. It will be less than 1000 bucks for 2. So maybe i will run them with 2 HPS using the same strains as the HPS, and compare. I also want to try COBs, so depending on success, you may see those being added sooner or later.

Thoughts on the kind LED? Any advice or tips on layout would be great! Debating if i should use a tent or not.. what kind of wall covering should i use? if no tent, ill have a small tent in another room for veg, and continue to use the closet.

I am just looking for best bang for my buck. Im using @Doc Bud 's kit, and im cooking more soil as we speak. I am just trying it out. I havent grown anything in a while, but i think im just getting the hang of the drench, and high brix technique. I drenched all 12 plants yesterday, i transplanted with a pint of "transplant", and watered a pint each in between the drench. It had been about 3 weeks since the plants had recieved water, and they still looked good! I drenched the plants with 12ml "growth energy" they were really dry, i served with about 2ml tea. I mixxed it in a 5gal, and followed the technique shown on docs site. Did i do it correctly? Plants looked healthier almost instantly. I also sprayed the brix foliar once. Soil is new to me, so im trying to get it figured out.

I am just looking for best bang for my buck. Im using @Doc Bud 's kit, and im cooking more soil as we speak. I am just trying it out. I havent grown anything in a while, but i think im just getting the hang of the drench, and high brix technique. I drenched all 12 plants yesterday, i transplanted with a pint of "transplant", and watered a pint each in between the drench. It had been about 3 weeks since the plants had recieved water, and they still looked good! I drenched the plants with 12ml "growth energy" they were really dry, i served with about 2ml tea. I mixxed it in a 5gal, and followed the technique shown on docs site. Did i do it correctly? Plants looked healthier almost instantly. I also sprayed the brix foliar once. Soil is new to me, so im trying to get it figured out.

Post the question here: Doc Bud - High Brix Q&A With Pictures

There are several threads on this site dealing with LED lighting. I like PurpleGunRack's thread and am posting most of my thoughts there. Not only can you find comparisons of COBs, you can also find electrical costs over the lamps' lifetime. I found it very interesting that the lifetime costs for CREE, Bridgelux, and Citizen were very close at the same light outputs.

LEDs will cut the heat you are putting into your grow room. I agree with adding the AC, but that may not be enough. If you can pull outside air through your reflectors, and vent it back outside it may do the trick.

You'll want at least two grow spaces, one for vegging, and another for flower. The flower space should be at least twice that of the veg. You also want to think of mother plants, clones and seedlings. You can use part of the veg space, or carve out another space for them. Finally, you may want to breed, and will need an isolated space for that to control the spread of pollen.

Im thinking im gonna use 2x 1000W with 8'vented hoods, and an 8' vortex fan. Ill pull thru a carbon filter, thru the hoods, and out my roof. I will also run one of those little portable AC units with a carbon filter, and use the closet for veg at this time. I will keep mothers, and when i get stacked, i will put another tent in the next room.

I decided to skip the kind xl1000's going off y'all's advice. After the first successful harvest, ill buy some cobs, and see how that works for me. I figure i can always use the vortex fans, vented hoods or not.

I am thinking 6 plants per 1000w. Ill move them into flower when they are about 36" tall. Think theyll fit? How does that sound?

I also heard that the place where i got my last cuttings from has the new dosido cutting, and its real. I may also buy 6 of those, and go in next round with them.

Looks like im gonna have a very crowded closet soon, but hopefully i get to put at least 6 into flower within a month.

If i can space 6 and 6, 30 days apart, i should be pretty busy for just starting out. I know this is gonna work much better this time now that ive had some trial and error. Id like to pull at least a pound per light / 1lb per month. Think thats gonna be hard to attain using the kit?

Be sure to follow the kit directions for pot size and feeding and such.

In the kit we grow relatively big big plants, so I'd say 4 plant per. light is better, maybe have 10 in total with the extra 2 where the footprints of the 2 lights overlap, and move the plants around so they get.

A pound per light is possible with most strains, and since you have seperate veg room you harvest 10 plants every 10-12 weeks so the turn around should be acheivable as well.

So i noticed PM. On a few of the clones i bought, so theres pretty much only 2 options.

A: trash em

B: spray them with eagle 20 (if i can even get it)

They have ways to go in veg still.

Lets hear some opinions?

Lots of cool stuff happening this weekend! Going to get my light setup all in place, and i think i figured out how i want to set everything up!

For now Im going to run 2x1k in vented hoods, and the system will be isolated from the room. I plan on covering all of the walls with R-tech panels. I will be buying a sealed door, a DH, and a small AC. I will also be running co2 for at least the first month of flowering. Any reccomendations on floor coverings? Epoxy? Linoleum?

Any reccomendations on controllers, or automated systems? I want to set this up right the first time. Im going to make sure i get the environment perfect. I cant wait to get all of the equipment so i can start setting up!!

UPDATE!!!!! BIG!!!

Got my lights all hung up, and some of the ducting back in place. Going to finish this weekend when i get the rest of the stuff. Also planning on picking up an AC and CO2 setup very soon. Has anyone used CO2 with the kit? How did it work for you?

https://www.420magazine.com/community/gallery/20180403_125059-jpg.1519679/full

My plants all seem to be doing just fine. I think i just freaked out when i saw some foreign contaminations. I cut off the leaves that had it about 4 days ago. It hasnt returned, and there is no sign of anything ill. Maybe the brix beat it? Maybe it was drywall dust? We may never know... i have since transplanted 2 of the confirmed females. I have decided to just go ahead and flower them after i have rooted a few clones from each. I will also probably go with at least 2 of the ghost cuttings, but i havent decided yet. Help me decide? I am using these slick looking 8 gallon pots for the final vessel in all of the plants. Once i have enough soil cooked (is there a short cut?), and my plants are vegged enough you will see me start turning on the hps lights. I will be patient, but i truly cant wait!!

The only issues, and concerns that i have:

My plants havent developed that thick hard stem that i keep seeing the kit produce.

The plants seem happy not being watered for 10+ days. Is this normal? How often should i be watering? I havent watered them since the GE drench about a week ago.

How much longer should i veg these? Is there a sweet spot with the kit?

https://www.420magazine.com/community/gallery/20180403_125141-jpg.1519683/full

https://www.420magazine.com/community/gallery/20180403_125139-jpg.1519682/full

https://www.420magazine.com/community/gallery/20180403_125134-jpg.1519681/full

https://www.420magazine.com/community/gallery/20180403_125116-jpg.1519680/full

Back
Top Bottom