New Member Beata

Beata

420 Member
Hi,
My apartment is very humid and I killed my seeds. Wah. Oh well. Just for future reference, how often should I water my seeds, once in the soil? It is cold here in Toronto and I am starting them indoors. I followed the water cup and paper towel method and they behaved very well. But once I put them in the soil something must have been off. Just don't want to make that same mistake with my next seeds!

Here's a link to a thread where I was just rambling on about this subject. How deep?

They should be warm and just moist.
You should never have to really water 'seeds' after they're planted. Soil stays damp for quite a while. By the time you have to water again it will normally be a young plant with leaves.

Lean on us as much as you need, Beata. Do some reading in the Grow Room & never be afraid to ask.

Ian :Namaste:

I just soak a jiffy pot in water and let it expand then plant the seed about 1/4 inch down. I use a sprayer to keep the pot moist and forget all the water cups and paper towels. I do it more mother natures way! My seedling environment is a flat tub with high sides, plastic wrap over the top and a heating pad under them. Works most of the time.

Welcome to the 420!

I planted these with the right side up. So I think my previous 10 seeds that I killed must have been a combination of errors; the soil was way too wet and I planted them "head down". Also these seeds seem to sprout faster than my previous batch - all of them "hatched" in no time and had ~2 cm in the paper towel before I planted them in the soil.
Interestingly, my previous batch was Blueberry and Dark Angel (5+5 seeds) and this batch is CB Dream and CD Dutch Treat (5+5 seeds as well).

Ive never hear such a thing as head down. A seed will always orient itself as to up and down. Too much water will rot the tap root. If you plant in a large size Jiffy Pot you will get a 3 - 4 inch tap root and once it grows out the bottom and air prunes the taproot will produce side roots faster giving your plant a good start. The first couple posts in my journal below show the process.

There is a product called Rootmaker pots invented by Dr. Carl Whitcomb that do an exceptional job of starting plants. I think for me it's the heating pad that makes the biggest difference. Just like in spring, seeds wait for warm weather to germinate. Just replicate the environment and you will have better success.

I've definitely seen seeds that were planted head down, after being sprouted, get confused and not make it. They grew into a spiral galaxy shape and never emerged above ground. Maybe if they'd been very close to the surface they would have figured it out, or if the sprouts weren't already a half inch long. We were newbies and it was my buddy's idea to plant them all upside down. He said he'd heard it worked better. We lost a lot of seeds that way. Since then I just plant them right side up.

Ive never hear such a thing as head down. A seed will always orient itself as to up and down. Too much water will rot the tap root. If you plant in a large size Jiffy Pot you will get a 3 - 4 inch tap root and once it grows out the bottom and air prunes the taproot will produce side roots faster giving your plant a good start. The first couple posts in my journal below show the process.

There is a product called Rootmaker pots invented by Dr. Carl Whitcomb that do an exceptional job of starting plants. I think for me it's the heating pad that makes the biggest difference. Just like in spring, seeds wait for warm weather to germinate. Just replicate the environment and you will have better success.

Well just because he said it doesn't make it so. Go to my grow journal on page 1. I use Jiffy Pellets large or medium size on every grow. Very easy and works like a charm. Makes it simple to repot. Trick is to use a spray bottle to keep them moist not soaking wet.

Back
Top Bottom