Northern Lights Auto - Budget T5 & T8 Grow Box

As to the smell, for now I finished my prototype filter, and I'm calling it a moderate success, as proof of concept, it works. Howeer I hae a feeling I'm going to hae to inest in an inline duct fan for extra blowing power, PC fans are great for circulating but not for creating air pressure differences. Will ealuate during next few days, if there's a real improement with just the prototype I'll add a duplicate as originally planned, if not I'll go with the upsized model. Also, my \/ key appears to be broken, sorry about all the typos.

Here's the current prototype fan, the doubled PC fan I built earlier in my journal. I let it grab a piece of paper to confirm suction present.
IMAG08958.jpg
IMAG089611.jpg

Actiated carbon filter specifically for odor control. Unused portion sealed and stored. $20 got me enough material to make 6 or 7 of my filter units, which I am quite happy to call final-design stage. Only power of fan and ducting solutions are under reiew.
IMAG088611.jpg
IMAG088716.jpg
IMAG088815.jpg

Salaged plastic pickle jar, added about 200 holes with my drill. Wrapped in carbon filter tightly using \/elcro that came with it and zip-ties.
IMAG089313.jpg
IMAG089211.jpg

I cut a hole through the lid, hot-glued some thin tough foam-rubber I had left from a screen repair (it's called spline if you want to get technical) to the outside of the lid to make a firm seal, the screwed the lid tightly to the box oer the exhaust outlet.
IMAG089010.jpg

Then screw the jar, upside down, into the now secured lid. I used this jar/lid configuration to make filter replacement easier. Just unscrew jar, remoe used filter, wrap and secure new filter material, screw jar back on and done.
IMAG088913.jpg

Plastic bag oer top of the assembly to check airflow, bag filled and tented, good breeze coming out.
IMAG089412.jpg

Mission accomplished, prototype built and installed.

So after 24 hours, the odor situation is much better, still stronger than I would like but barely noticeable outside the room the box is in, acceptable for the moment but will need to get a stronger fan and add more negatie pressure.

Swapped out my bulbs to a better mix for flowering since #1 is just going beast-mode.
IMAG090510.jpg
IMAG090616.jpg
IMAG0908_BURST005.jpg
IMAG090712.jpg
IMAG0908_BURST004_COVER.jpg

New light count = 4x 23w 2700k cfl, 4x 27w 5000k cfl, 1x 24w 6400k sunblaster vertically mounted, 2x 32w 6500k 4' tubes, and 2x 32w 3000k 4' tubes. A nice healthy mix, heavy on the red, light on the blue. #1 seems to be enjoying the change.
IMAG091015.jpg
IMAG090915.jpg
I counted 28 larger bud sites and lost count at 40ish smaller popcorn sites.

So after 24 hours, the odor situation is much better, still stronger than I would like but barely noticeable outside the room the box is in, acceptable for the moment but will need to get a stronger fan and add more negatie pressure.

Swapped out my bulbs to a better mix for flowering since #1 is just going beast-mode.
IMAG090510.jpg
IMAG090616.jpg
IMAG0908_BURST005.jpg
IMAG090712.jpg
IMAG0908_BURST004_COVER.jpg

New light count = 4x 23w 2700k cfl, 4x 27w 5000k cfl, 1x 24w 6400k sunblaster vertically mounted, 2x 32w 6500k 4' tubes, and 2x 32w 3000k 4' tubes. A nice healthy mix, heavy on the red, light on the blue. #1 seems to be enjoying the change.
IMAG091015.jpg
IMAG090915.jpg
I counted 28 larger bud sites and lost count at 40ish smaller popcorn sites.

Looking nice EndItAll ...
Really like your ideas and may just incorporate some of them if you don't mind. It's amazing how creative we can be when we need to.

1st Time Grow For My Beautiful Broken Brain

By all means, plagiarize away, hell %90 of my ideas are plagiarized themselves. Usually with modifications or refinements, but still inspired by other's work. Use anything you think might help.

lol, I was uploading pics for my update when you posted that.

Sorry for the long silence, got busy with IRL stuff.

Sad to report, the fungus gnats are back with a vengeance, and they brought their friends the aphids with them. I've got them both in retreat and I caught the aphids early so damage is minimal, but my plants are unfortunately going to have a garlicy flavor to them from my home-made bug-spray.
Buds are slowly fattening up on #1, #2 is just not going to yield anything close to what #1 will but did veg up a bit more.
Only bothered with pics of #1 tonight, the other isn't all that interesting. Having spoken to a more experienced local grower about the difference we both suspect just bad genetics are at play there. Oh well.

#1 @ 55 days above soil
IMAG093116.jpg
IMAG093212.jpg

lol, I was uploading pics for my update when you posted that.

Sorry for the long silence, got busy with IRL stuff.

Sad to report, the fungus gnats are back with a vengeance, and they brought their friends the aphids with them. I've got them both in retreat and I caught the aphids early so damage is minimal, but my plants are unfortunately going to have a garlicy flavor to them from my home-made bug-spray.
Buds are slowly fattening up on #1, #2 is just not going to yield anything close to what #1 will but did veg up a bit more.
Only bothered with pics of #1 tonight, the other isn't all that interesting. Having spoken to a more experienced local grower about the difference we both suspect just bad genetics are at play there. Oh well.

#1 @ 55 days above soil
IMAG093116.jpg
IMAG093212.jpg
Lol oh wow I have good timing. Looking great, nice and healthy. She's going to be a big girl too

Sent from my HTC One using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Today I bring you the new and improved Activated Carbon Exhaust Filter-Tronic, Ver. 2.0

Materials required :
IMAG094215.jpg

1 x empty Strubs brand pickle jar, plastic, clean and dry.
IMAG094316.jpg

1 x 4 inch to 3 inch PVC duct adapter.
IMAG094415.jpg

1 x 3 inch flexible vinyl duct.
IMAG094714.jpg

1 x bathroom exhaust fan.
IMAG095313.jpg

Our friend the activated carbon filter fabric.

Other materials not shown :
Duct tape, 2-part epoxy putty, unused grounded cable and plug, 2 x 3inch duct clamps. 6x zip-ties.

Step 1 : Drill a few hundred holes into the pickle jar, leaving enough intact material both top and bottom to be able to form a good overlap with the filter material.
IMAG094913.jpg
IMAG095011.jpg

Step 2 : Attach the 4" to 3" adapter inside the mouth of the jar, 3" end out, using epoxy putty both inside and out to seal. Allow putty to cure at least 10 minutes to avoid damaging your putty seal, once set this stuff is harder than concrete.
IMAG09517.jpg

Step 3 : Wrap the perforated pickle jar TIGHTLY with 2 layers of the activated carbon fabric, secure with zipties using the convenient grooves on the jar as anchor trenches for the ties.
IMAG095412.jpg
IMAG095512.jpg

Step 4 : Mount fan in box and attach flex-duct, run flex-duct through appropriate exhaust opening. Secure with clamp.
IMAG09577.jpg

Step 5 : Attach filter to other end of flex-duct outside box. Secure with clamp.
IMAG094615.jpg

IMAG095810.jpg

Congratulations, job's done.

IMAG096912.jpg

Hi ladies.
IMAG096615.jpg
IMAG096515.jpg
IMAG096414.jpg
IMAG096313.jpg
IMAG096214.jpg

#1 nothing new to report, quite proud of her so far, now if I can just keep the bugs under control a few more weeks all will be well. They haven't gotten much better yet but they've stopped getting worse, so that's something.

IMAG096112.jpg
IMAG096012.jpg
IMAG095910.jpg

#2 is 10 days behind #1, starting to fill out a bit more but just not wanting to match her older sister it seems.

Im soooo glad I stumbled upon your journal. This DIY carbon filter f'n rocks. Ive been trying to figure something out for my homemade cabs. Im already using bathroom vents for out takes so this is PERFECT. Thanks again for posting this. Hows it working?

Third Times A Charm
Second Grow! LST - Let's Start Training
Savingson First Grow - 3 Year Old Bag Seed

Sent with my Light and Love Happy Growing

Too early to say for sure, just finished my build about 45 minutes ago and the fan I got is underpowered for the task but I got it free so I used what I had, worst case I can always just get a stronger one and swap it out, the fittings will be compatible. Will update on the odor reduction in 24hrs.

After a bit less than 24 hours, the new fan/filter definitely helped, but odor is still detectable, going to obtain a stronger fan when able and swap it out.

Had no choice but to toss 1 of the mystery seedlings today. It was the one I topped and the aphids were just too out of hand. The 2 NL's are still under treatment and I'm seeing less and less every day, think the plants are healthy enough to fight them off with a helping hand, but that little seedling just gave up and was days from death, not worth the effort.

#1 is starting to show signs she's in the home-stretch. Leaves all around are slowly starting to go yellow/lime, she's starting to eat herself.
I expect to harvest in about 2, maybe 3 weeks. Crystals forming everywhere, hairs starting to redden, noticeable fattening of the buds. Now's about the only time so far I've really wanted a pocket microscope. My eyes are quite sharp and have been good enough so far, but I wouldn't mind a closer look at my trichromes. Still looking pretty clear to naked eye but that's not much to go on with something this small.
They're good but not THAT good.

Back
Top Bottom