Nostalgic Ride On That Purple Sage - Panama Red

My flowering room is 6 x13. With the utility sink, shelves and walkway. I try to limit the plants to a 4x11 area.2 plants fit fine but 3 plants turns into a sea of green inner tangled branches. They push into the walkway looking for space so you come out of there sticky from the shoulder down.

Got my first double pairs of pistols so officially in flower. Couldn't get a good pic of the pistols with the leaves and autofocus.. She has stretched to 18 inches already. Pulled out more of the under growth because she is dense. moved her to the bigger res with 2 gallons of 7-9-5 and 6 gallons of 3-12-6. She drank 3 1/2 gallons from the 4 gallon res without PH or EC change so sticking to that ratio for now. Res holds another 7 gallons for adjustments. I have a mature Lambs Bread mother that is the same size so moved it into flower room to get a side by side run for comparison. She will jump into flower within two days so close enough.

1000001154.jpg

1000001150.jpg

1000001149.jpg

Lambs Bread is settled in the foreground. The square PVC netting frames are 3 1/2 foot long per side for scale.
1000001164.jpg

Current Lambs bread pistols.
1000001158.jpg

Lambs bread is around a month older than the Panama. She has been sitting in veg donating clone branches so she was anxious to flower. Being a mother is also the reason she is a bit sparse and lopsided.

Trimmed a few lower branches that were getting no light.
1000001168.jpg

1000001178.jpg

Lambs bread jumped into flower quicker and stretched to 22 inches. Panama responded with hold my beer. stretching to 28 inches.
1000001176.jpg

and I'll show you flowers!
1000001180.jpg
1000001170.jpg

Flipped her at 14 inches and she is already doubled to 28 inches one week into flower. I do remember they keep growing in flower but hopefully at a slower rate. Going to start bending down branches to even out the canopy.

Looking good. :) I've found these tall long flowering tropical Sativas to put more bud on, down low on the plant, than most Indicas or Hybrids.:hmmmm: I think it's because more light gets down into the plant.:hmmmm::bong:

Do you super crop? I haven't tried yet, but have topped main stems that could use a little more than LST to even out.

I did top her so she wouldn't reach out of control and been cutting minimal undergrowth. Her old top is now a clone in veg. Trying to let her run a more natural course this time to just see how she grows. This strain is notorious for stretching during most of the 10-12 weeks of flower. I don't know if stretches the whole branch, just the tips, or lateral branch growth. Without knowing how she grows I won't know how to train her efficiently.
I have supper cropped with varying results. Some strains love it and others don't make the added veg time worth it. My biggest problem with SC is that my veg and flower are different rooms. Much harder to SC in veg then move the plant. I normally do a trellis/SOG half way through the stretch to even them out.

I've found these tall long flowering tropical Sativas to put more bud on, down low on the plant, than most Indicas or Hybrids.

That is exactly why I am not doing much pruning or training. I have added side lights to thai and it still only had good main colas but the rest was sparse. Mowi Wowi and Lambs Bread grow good buds down under the canopy. Some strains are just better at sharing resources, rather than focusing on a few main flowers. Yes, that is a common Sativa trait. I think, it is because tropical winter is the rainy season. Lower buds are an insurance of genetic survival. They are protected from any early arriving pounding rain. Just a theory, nothing to back it up.

I was talking to someone I have known since 3rd grade. I was telling him how I have doubts that this is true red because it has no color yet. He reminded me of the time we smoked a little mowi getting ready to go out with our girlfriends. The buds looked close enough that we accidentally smoked the panama. We both called our GFs and eloquently explained we would be late. They both showed up at my house saying the words you are using do not make a sentence. Mine thought it was funny and took a hit but his was pissed for weeks.

2nd week of flower;

Room is set to shift 75-80deg with 36-39RH over 24 hours. 25wat/square foot. She had drank 13 gallons in the last week without any ph or ec swing. Now at 30 inches where not tied down. The Jamaican always takes 8-9 weeks and looks correct for 1-2weeks. The Panama is supposed to be 11-12 weeks in flower. The Jamaican is only 3 days behind the panama.
This is the Jamaican.

1000001233.jpg

This is the Panama.
1000001230.jpg
1000001229.jpg

That just doesn't seem to add up.
1000001225.jpg
1000001226.jpg

1000001221.jpg

Been watching the plant closely as it finally started to turn that terracotta red. Macro and micro photos at the pistols and leaf veins to track how far the red was growing. In person it was definite but it didn't show in the photos. Just went down to check on todays progress and found it infested with spider mites. Looked back at my photos for eggs or mites that I overlooked but not so much as a shadow. Drenched it in rosemary oil soap so it will survive or die in the next week. I searched all the other plants but didn't find one on any other plant. The clone is still healthy, massive and in the other room so at least I can start over with the same plant if she doesn't make it.

Been watching the plant closely as it finally started to turn that terracotta red. Macro and micro photos at the pistols and leaf veins to track how far the red was growing. In person it was definite but it didn't show in the photos. Just went down to check on todays progress and found it infested with spider mites. Looked back at my photos for eggs or mites that I overlooked but not so much as a shadow. Drenched it in rosemary oil soap so it will survive or die in the next week. I searched all the other plants but didn't find one on any other plant. The clone is still healthy, massive and in the other room so at least I can start over with the same plant if she doesn't make it.
Sativa1970, enjoying the landrace grow…hope you can overcome the pests to a successful harvest. Cheers

The plant was completely covered in webs so too depressed and panicked to take pictures. Dropped the temp to 72 deg and raised the RH to 55 after spraying plants. Checked on it early this morning. don't see much mite activity and plant is looking ok. Hit them both with another rosemary soap oil treatment using my last 1/2 gallon on hand. Making more rosemary oil and kelp extract to help her recover. This may pull through.

Decades growing and this is my third time dealing with mites. 6 years ago accidentally introduced them off an outside plant. Last fall and now again after completely emptying and treating the room and equipment for two months. Wife pointed out last night that they started when I added a new heating duct to the room. I forgot abought it and never treated the duct. :oops:

Instead of tying her down, now I am tying her up. Sprayed them down with kelp extract to rinse some of the oil soap and foliar feed. Micro minerals and amino acids to help her recover. Mites also do not survive well in cool wet environments. She looked like a halloween prop just a few days ago.
1000001277.jpg

1000001275[1].jpg
1000001280.jpg

as a comparison to just how much she stunted compared to the Jamaican. As much as I could get into frame at least.
1000001276.jpg

Just jumped on here to remember when I took the cuttings. They are still green and healthy but no roots poking out of the cubes yet. Soon as I see roots mama needs to move out of veg cause she is taking over. Still treating the flower room and no signs of mites on the Jamaican. Cut down the flowering Panama red and realized I may have gotten the mites from the hydro tone. Eggs could have survived treatment inside the pours. Dumping all the hydro tone and opening a new bag.

Now the good news! The plant was only 5 weeks in flower when I chopped it. The trichomes had headed and with the stress a few had started to cloud partially. Plucked one of the top colas, dried it and tossed it in a pipe. Smoked half of a bud about the size of my thumb with my wife. Giggle fits and a serious 10 minute conversation on how her cow keeps moving her office to the wrong barn. Translation: CAD program files are not saving to correct format. But we both understood each other and didn't notice the words we were using. After a while we realized why all of our google search results were farm related. There is no longer any doubt that it is true Panama red.

Haven't had much free time with this being my busy season with work. Clones are rooted in veg and mother is in the flower room for the last 5 days. Mother is 4 foot tall and 3 foot wide after pruning so some definite lattice training in her future. Jamaican has sprawled out across the room but she only has a week left. Round 2 will be starting soon.

Round 2!
No more signs of mites but kept treating the room.
Panama clone is established.
Panama mother has her first double pistols.
Jamaican is hanging out to dry.
So let's try this again.

Last look at Jamaican.
1000001374.jpg

Shaggy Panama but those are all tips.
1000001376.jpg

1000001377.jpg

Letting her stretch for another week before I tie her down more and cut any branches that don't reach the new canopy height..

Round 2!
No more signs of mites but kept treating the room.
Panama clone is established.
Panama mother has her first double pistols.
Jamaican is hanging out to dry.
So let's try this again.

Last look at Jamaican.
1000001374.jpg

Shaggy Panama but those are all tips.
1000001376.jpg

1000001377.jpg

Letting her stretch for another week before I tie her down more and cut any branches that don't reach the new canopy height..
That Jamaican bud looks tasty. Looking forward to seeing your Panama flower out. Cheers

Back
Top Bottom