Oops Better Late Than Never 1st Time Grow Journal, Sort Of

Flushing and going water-only during the final week(s) of a plants' life can not and will not remove nutrients from the buds. Nothing will remove nutrients from the buds, as they are sinks in the plant, not sources. If you go with water only, you deprive the plant of nutrients, and the plant will try to pull those nutrients from the leaves (which is why they all turn yellow when you flush), but guess where all those nutrients are going...to the buds. On top of which, only mobile nutrients can be sourced from the leaves; calcium needs to be obtained from the roots, among other micro nutrients.

That paragraph answered a whole lot of questions for me, in a matter of seconds. Thanks. Gonna copy it off and print it, maybe even memorize it. If you don't mind.

Howdy 420 group. I am completely loaded with dumb questions. Like, what is the story behind (4/20)? Told ya I was a newbie. I will hold the other 1,213 questions until Sunday or so. Don't have anything really fascinating to say, but I did manage to get 4 pictures, half-way clear to submit.....
Day 70 from 12/12 flip
Day 61 from bud-set........ which ones do the breeders and seed sellers refer to? light flip, or when you actually see the pistils? Still seeing plenty of cloudy and clear trichomes, anyway, here's the pictures.... 100_6927.JPG100_6928.JPG100_6919.JPG100_6931.JPG

oh, oh, and something else...... over the last couple days, there have been three different colas that fell over. What I noticed about all three, was that all three had a naked stem where someone had clipped off a fan leaf for some reason or another. The colas would lean over, opposite of where the fan leaf had been removed. So, this ole boy won't be attacking near as many fan leafs in future grows. Blessings to all and good grows.

I don't think the leaning colas relate to the removal of the fan leaf. It's just an indication that the buds are heavier than the branch they're on can hold. My flowering plants are flopping all over the place!

Tie those up to the ring...might as well put it to use in there :).
Ok, cool, Thanks Shed, I'll grab some more ties and support those colas, Thanks for stopping in.

Howdy 420, nothing really new to report, still watching the trichomes turn from clear to milky and just waiting.... patiently.... to see a few amber trichomes. Then, Whap. Have Blessed evening all.

Good afternoon 420. Well, my clone guy came over on Wednesday, looked at the girls and said, "Chop em." Both clones have milky, cloudy trichomes and a few that are turning amber. Called in to my crew, told them they would have to do without me this morning.... Took the fan leaves first, then whittled the branches out, trimmed the sugar leaves close to the buds, dipped for 30 seconds in room temperature water, then dipped and swished in warm water with 1 cup lemon juice and 1 cup baking soda for 30 seconds, then dipped and swished in cold water for 30 seconds. Let them drip dry under regular lights for awhile, then moved them back into the closet for darkness.... I knew that I would be dealing with sticky stuff, so I wore gloves, but I wasn't really prepared for it getting in my beard while trimming. My beard is longer than some, so, it wound up sticking to the plant, the snippers, the buckets, the twine, and if the cat would have gotten closer, I'da probably stuck to him. Next time I will wear a beard net. Anyway..... Woohoo! My first ever harvest! 100_6937.JPG100_6940.JPG100_6943.JPG100_6946.JPG100_6949.JPG100_6952.JPG100_6954.JPG100_6956.JPG I have no idea how much medicine to expect, but if we get a couple ounces out of it, we should be set for a few months..... I have learned so much from so many of you all.... Thank You 420! These two were clone sisters. Already planning out my next grow.... another clone just like these girls, along with planting from the seeds of Cherry PIe and the third one will be from a seed of Mango. But first, gonna have to do some re-arranging in the closet... Anyway, Woohoo! I feel like a kid on graduation day. Blessers and happy growing 420! Woohoo!

Congrats, oops!

Thanks Ala, twas fun, I didn't ever in my life think I would be doing anything like this. But, you know, life happens, things change and all of a sudden I'm doing something that is actually very, very, very interesting.... and I am trying to learn as much as I can from all you folks here, without being a pest. You all are amazing, Thanks!

Boy howdy! Right there with you. I never knew there was so much to learn.

Congratulations on your haul, Oops! You must be thrilled :high-five:
That is some lovely looking cannabis you’ve grown there, sir. Well done for holding off this last week or two! Not easy. You brought it home though. Good on you! You’re a seasoned, veteran grower now :)
Enjoy.

Excellent work oops! Congrats on your first harvest and don't it feel good to be able to say you have grown and harvested your own medicine? Sweet!
Next time I will wear a beard net.
LOL!
into the closet for darkness
Not sure what the ambient RH is in your area, but you want air circulation in there to pull the moisture out. Faster in the first day or so to make sure they get dry enough to keep the mold away, and then slower to allow the buds to dry over the next 5-7 days if possible.

In low RH areas you need very little ventilation, and in my area I could usually dry with the door open and the fan on and never get them too dry!

Congratulations on your haul, Oops! You must be thrilled :high-five:
That is some lovely looking cannabis you’ve grown there, sir. Well done for holding off this last week or two! Not easy. You brought it home though. Good on you! You’re a seasoned, veteran grower now :)
Enjoy.
Thanks DD for stopping in.... yep I'm thrilled, never thought I'd make it, so much to learn and to watch for.... the patience was forced on me by all the posts that I read about patience and too much time put in on growing the meds to cheat ourselves by getting impatient. Thanks again for stopping in.

Excellent work oops! Congrats on your first harvest and don't it feel good to be able to say you have grown and harvested your own medicine? Sweet!

LOL!

Not sure what the ambient RH is in your area, but you want air circulation in there to pull the moisture out. Faster in the first day or so to make sure they get dry enough to keep the mold away, and then slower to allow the buds to dry over the next 5-7 days if possible.

In low RH areas you need very little ventilation, and in my area I could usually dry with the door open and the fan on and never get them too dry!
Thanks, and thanks again Shed for all the help you have given us. Amazing you have a kazillion things going on and you manage to find time for us bud rookies. Thanks!
We are in a weird part of the year where we get 40%-60% RH during the day, and 70%-99% RH at night. I hung them back in the grow closet in the shed. Holding the RH between 55%-65% throughout the day and night with an a/c and a small fan moving the air. The outside of the buds are starting to feel dryer, but are still a little sticky yet... small stem are bending, but not snapping. The aroma in there is great. Thanks again Shed, and high fives for all you do!

Always glad to help where I can oops! Bending with a crack but without breaking is about when most growers cut the buds off and put them in jars...with a hygrometer :). I have one in every jar from a new harvest. The little digital ones are cheap at Amazon and will save you from moldy or overdried buds,

Once they're in jars you burp them twice a day (how long you leave them open will depend - again - on the ambient RH) as you slowly lower the buds to 62%. I burp them for two weeks until they're as close as I can get, and then I throw a Boveda 62% pack in the jar (and leave the hygrometer for the first few weeks) and seal it up for the cure. I usually let mine cure three weeks to a month before anyone gets a taste!

Back
Top Bottom