Oops Better Late Than Never 1st Time Grow Journal, Sort Of

Always glad to help where I can oops! Bending with a crack but without breaking is about when most growers cut the buds off and put them in jars...with a hygrometer :). I have one in every jar from a new harvest. The little digital ones are cheap at Amazon and will save you from moldy or overdried buds,

Once they're in jars you burp them twice a day (how long you leave them open will depend - again - on the ambient RH) as you slowly lower the buds to 62%. I burp them for two weeks until they're as close as I can get, and then I throw a Boveda 62% pack in the jar (and leave the hygrometer for the first few weeks) and seal it up for the cure. I usually let mine cure three weeks to a month before anyone gets a taste!
Thanks Shed, sounds like a good plan to me, I have the jars cleaned and ready. The missus has cut off my funding for the time being, so, I am going to have to kind of wing it this time without the hygrometers. Hah, I did manage to get some Boveda packs, before I ran out of money, though. I want to be very patient and get the best cure that I can. Thank you so much for the quick tutorial. Have a great evening, my friend.

I'd see if you can swing at least one. On your first grow, trying to guess the RH of the buds is really hard to do. I've harvested over 20 plants now and use one in every jar. I hate guessing.

You can get analog ones for under $6. That's couch cushion money!
Thanks Shed, I was just peeking at some over on Amazon, I think I can probably get the missus to loan me $20 for a week or so... I hate guessing myself, that's why I pester you all. Thanks again!

The management doesn't like when I post direct links to Amazon, so copy and paste this into their search box:
TAIWEI 12 Pack Mini Small Digital Electronic Temperature Humidity Meters Gauge Indoor Thermometer Hygrometer LCD Display Fahrenheit (℉) for Humidors, Greenhouse, Garden, Cellar

It's 12 for $23. Those are the last ones I got and most are spot-on accurate. They vary at most by 3% so I labeled them such.

If you can't borrow that much, here are the first ones I got:
SUKRAGRAHA Mini Digital Temperature Humidity Meter Gauge Thermometer Hygrometer LCD Degree Fahrenheit (F) Display Black

Those were $7.50 each though.

I do a salt test on them when they arrive so I know if they're accurate. All you need is salt, a bottle cap, and a ziploc bag or small tupperware container.

Thank you Shed, I was kind of half-way joking about having to borrow money from the missus. We just got slammed with a bunch of unexpected expenses, you know, life in general, and she is the bookkeeper in the household. She will let me get those, kind of odd, those were the ones I was looking at before you recommended them. I know I won't need that many on this first grow, but, hopefully I will need all twelve in just a few months from now. Thanks Shed
The management doesn't like when I post direct links to Amazon, so copy and paste this into their search box:
TAIWEI 12 Pack Mini Small Digital Electronic Temperature Humidity Meters Gauge Indoor Thermometer Hygrometer LCD Display Fahrenheit (℉) for Humidors, Greenhouse, Garden, Cellar

I do a salt test on them when they arrive so I know if they're accurate. All you need is salt, a bottle cap, and a ziploc bag or small tupperware container.
I will have to ask about the salt test, I'm sure here in a day or so...... Thanks again.

Hiya 420. Been out of pocket a few days... Finally got a chance to jar up the buds last night after everyone went to bed. Surprise pop-in visits from relatives are great, for the most part. Just wish they'd give me a notice. Oh well, anyway got the buds in jars with hygrometers in them, thanks to @InTheShed recommendation, they are still trying to settle in at around 62%. Have bovedas at the ready for when I am done burping them.... Did end up with a little more than 4 ounces, so I'm tickled. Don't know how much more they will lose weight... But, that is over a year's worth of meds for me. Here's some pics: 100_6979.JPG100_6980.JPG100_6978.JPG

And, the hilarious part was, I had spent Wednesday evening and overnight, making cannabutter, for the first time ever, with the sugar leaves and trim following @fanleaf tutorial, the house was loaded with aroma and my niece calls up, letting us know that she and her youngsters were going be staying with us for a day or so... and she was only about 30 minutes away.... We scrambled around, opened all windows and doors, and at the last moment the missus has me grab a bunch of spinach out of the garden and a head of cabbage.... and she started boiling them. The water wasn't even boiling yet when they showed up, and said that was the best smelling cabbage and greens they'd ever smelled... Bless her heart, she works in the corporate medical industry, and has been programmed to oppose alternative medicine. I don't argue with her anymore. Anyway, gotta post a picture of my first ever pre-refrigerated cannabutter.....100_6959.JPG100_6960.JPG ..... and that's all there is to that. Thanks 420 for all you all have done to help me during my first ever grow, it has been a blast.... Have a wonderful evening.

:thumb:
Nice one, Oops :)
Great to see it work out successfully!
Thanks DD, I'm smiling, that's for sure. I really had no idea how much to expect. I read about folks in here getting 4 and
5 ounces per plant. But, I'm tickled, and like you said:
Good on you! You’re a seasoned, veteran grower now :)
Enjoy.
I'm a seasoned, veteran grower now, Whoohooo! Thanks again, DD

I hope you get some of that good-smelling cabbage and spinach soon. Hahaha!

Congratulations, oops.

I hope you get some of that good-smelling cabbage and spinach soon. Hahaha!

Congratulations, oops.
Lol, Thanks Ala. It seems to have worked, the cabbage and spinach ploy.... and that's what we had for supper, the kids didn't care for it, but we followed it with ice cream and all was well. Thanks Ala, I'm just glad this one is done, and I'm getting ready to start another grow as soon as I get everything cleaned up. Will be poking my nose in to everyone's journals again for the next week or so.... I've never germinated a med seed before.. so, I get to start from absolute seed the next time. Have a great morning, my friend, thank you!

Hiya 420. Still burping the buds in jars... they're holding 62 % fairly well.... I think if the mods want to move this over to completed journals, that would be dandy. I won't be tasting the buds for a few more weeks. Thanks to all those who came over and gave support, advice and encouragement. Woohoo! first grow done and in the books. Be stalking most of you all in your journals.... Have a Blessed day! Thanks again.

Well howdy 420. Been a hectic last several days... death in the family... the missus surgery... and then power off for the last three days. So, thought I'd pop in here to see what you all are doing, and see about getting this thing moved over to completed journals. Not exactly sure how to do that, though. I know I am setting a bad example, but I still haven't tasted the medicine I grew. And because it wasn't a known strain, I don't think a taste review would benefit anyone else here. Will be catching up on all your grow journals here shortly. Have a Blessed evening.

So sorry to hear about the death and the surgery. I hope the missus is recovering well!

If you want to move this to completed journals (rather than keep it open for your next grow of the same strain (you can always change the name of the journal if you do), you click the Report button under your last post and ask the mods to move it to Completed Journals.

Or, if you want to change the name, you would do that the same way and just tell them what the new name should be.

ok I think I might need to ask @Teddy Edwards to please move this sad sad journal to the completed journal area. I will start another journal if I can ever get a seed to germinate and actually make it into veg.... we'll see. How does one germinate a seed and actually make it into veg stage..... I have only grown from a clone.... geez.... Hey, I am not joking, I really cant get a seed to germinate and go into veg, am I missing somthing here? germination, lights, and light distance, timing? how moist is the soil?

Here's what I've done - it was my first grow - and if I hadn't screwed up trying to "help" the seed reach the surface (stupid) I would have germinated 8/8. Instead it was 7/8 and I nearly killed one early on after it popped up.

I took a small glass mason jar and placed lukewarm water. I put a seed in and placed that on a seedling warmer mat with the lid on for not quite 24 hours and the seed sank. I planted into a solo cup with soil, placing the seed 1/4 to 1/2 inch (roughly 1 cm) deep and covered with soil. Solo cups went on the seedling warmer. Check recommended distance on your lights. Keep the soil moist but not soaked. Use a dome early on. I hope you're able to get it sorted out. Also, get some plain potting soil for the top 2/3 of the solo cup. Don't know if your happy frog is too hot but it could be.

Back
Top Bottom