Oops Better Late Than Never 1st Time Grow Journal, Sort Of

Hey @oopssteptinit ... things are looking good here!!!

I'm having lots of fun with my surprise photoperiods ... lol

I just put them under the ScrOG and mini-flushed them due to discoloration in a few of the leaves.

I also set the light back to 12-12 uninterupted ... I originally thought I could cycle them like I do with my autoflowers.

A few quick questions ...

Did you ever check the pH and ppm of your flush run-off ... mine seemed incredibly out of wack!

And ... how sensitive are the photoperiods to light during the dark cycle? Does a normal light bulb affect them negatively? I haven't read too much on this yet ...

Alright ... ttyl amigo.

Hey @oopssteptinit ... things are looking good here!!!

I'm having lots of fun with my surprise photoperiods ... lol

I just put them under the ScrOG and mini-flushed them due to discoloration in a few of the leaves.

I also set the light back to 12-12 uninterupted ... I originally thought I could cycle them like I do with my autoflowers.

A few quick questions ...

Did you ever check the pH and ppm of your flush run-off ... mine seemed incredibly out of wack!

And ... how sensitive are the photoperiods to light during the dark cycle? Does a normal light bulb affect them negatively? I haven't read too much on this yet ...

Alright ... ttyl amigo.
Hiya SQl, thanks for stopping in. I did not check the ph of the flush run-off. Truthfully, I didn't even think to test it. I was just tickled that I didn't make a huge mess when flushed.
I've read on several different sites about total darkness without any light. Most say any type of light can have an effect on the girl and possibly cause her to hermorph... That being said, last week I went out and turned on my regular shed light to take some pictures of the girls with the blurple light off and forgot to turn the shed light back off after I took the pictures. So, when my blurple light turned off at 10pm, the shed light stayed on all night and I didn't see it until 10 am the next morning. It made me sick..... was expecting the girls to go hermie on me, but thank The Lord, they didn't. So, maybe because it was a 60w bulb, maybe it was too small to effect them? I honestly don't know. You might ask some of the more experienced growers here about it? Man your journals are great. Have a great evening.

Looking good!

Hiya SQl, thanks for stopping in. I did not check the ph of the flush run-off. Truthfully, I didn't even think to test it. I was just tickled that I didn't make a huge mess when flushed.
I've read on several different sites about total darkness without any light. Most say any type of light can have an effect on the girl and possibly cause her to hermorph... That being said, last week I went out and turned on my regular shed light to take some pictures of the girls with the blurple light off and forgot to turn the shed light back off after I took the pictures. So, when my blurple light turned off at 10pm, the shed light stayed on all night and I didn't see it until 10 am the next morning. It made me sick..... was expecting the girls to go hermie on me, but thank The Lord, they didn't. So, maybe because it was a 60w bulb, maybe it was too small to effect them? I honestly don't know. You might ask some of the more experienced growers here about it? Man your journals are great. Have a great evening.

Phew! That's reassuring!

I'm thinking we would need a lot of light/heat/nutrient stress for a plant to hermi or revert back to veg.

From what I understand, it's the amount of dark in your cycle that results in a high phytochrome red ratio. I'm hoping a lot of light pollution is needed to shift those red back to far-red.

It'll be nice to get this first grow done ... get a bit of experience ... and of course ... a bit of bud.

Have you settled on how you are going to harvest?

I can't remember if I showed you my harvest summary yet ... Research on Harvesting, Drying and Curing (Paper Bags and Jars):

ttyl

Hey @Alafornia ... I'll be popping in for a visit this weekend to see how your grow is shaping up ... I think I was rooting for the Blueberry as I recall :)

If it was Westley she's a White Russian. Blueberry is my weird little twisted sister so could have been her. Got some updated pics as usual with at least one close in on BB's weirdness. lol Stop by any time!

Phew! That's reassuring!

It'll be nice to get this first grow done ... get a bit of experience ... and of course ... a bit of bud.

Have you settled on how you are going to harvest?

I can't remember if I showed you my harvest summary yet ... Research on Harvesting, Drying and Curing (Paper Bags and Jars):

ttyl
Hiya SQl, thanks for stopping in. Nope, still don't have a clue on how I'm going to harvest. I will read your research straight away and see what I can come up with. Yeah, I am getting excited about getting this first grow done. I think that I have some trichomes turning cloudy, and so I think I'm getting even closer. I am hoping to get this grow out of my way and looking forward to my next grow with some of the knowledge that I have learned on this site. I can't wait to taste these buds. I am hoping that they harvest and cure out as well as the other meds I have had off of this same mother plant. It is a calming, mind clearing, even steadiness, without putting me on the couch. We'll see. Sure makes me wish I could have started a few weeks later, I could have followed along and copied alot of what you have accomplished. Have a great evening!

Ok, so it has been a couple days since I updated. I read somewhere that I can pinch off a small piece of a newer growth from different spots on the girls and place them on a white piece of paper and get a clearer look at the trichomes that way. And I learned that I can take my old Kodak easy share camera and sort of take a picture through the 60x microscope. So, here are some circled looking pictures for some of the experts to look at, hopefully. Wonderful evening to all there. 100_6880.JPG100_6881.JPG100_6882.JPG100_6884.JPG100_6889.JPG100_6890.JPG100_6908.JPG100_6905.JPG100_6900.JPG100_6895.JPG

Ok, so it has been a couple days since I updated. I read somewhere that I can pinch off a small piece of a newer growth from different spots on the girls and place them on a white piece of paper and get a clearer look at the trichomes that way. And I learned that I can take my old Kodak easy share camera and sort of take a picture through the 60x microscope. So, here are some circled looking pictures for some of the experts to look at, hopefully. Wonderful evening to all there.100_6880.JPG100_6881.JPG100_6882.JPG100_6884.JPG100_6889.JPG100_6890.JPG100_6908.JPG100_6905.JPG100_6900.JPG100_6895.JPG

Awesome!!!

From what I read, I'm about 3 weeks away from harvest ... and I'm keeping up on my research. If we mess up the harvest or cure, that's a lot of needless waste!

Okay ... so you flushed ... did you do it about 2 weeks ago?

Are your leaves turning yellow because the plant is cannibalizing them?

And you are not feeding nutes anymore right?

What percentage of cloudy trichomes are you shooting for?

Way to go amigo!!!

Awesome!!!

From what I read, I'm about 3 weeks away from harvest ... and I'm keeping up on my research. If we mess up the harvest or cure, that's a lot of needless waste!

Okay ... so you flushed ... did you do it about 2 weeks ago?

Are your leaves turning yellow because the plant is cannibalizing them?

And you are not feeding nutes anymore right?

What percentage of cloudy trichomes are you shooting for?

Way to go amigo!!!
Thanks SQL..... I started the flush on one girl about a week ago, and the other girl is getting a very light, Fox Farm Big Bloom, and molasses mix till two days from the end. I figure with these twins I can at least get my own assessment of the harvest flush for harshness while smoking the medicine. Leaves are starting to try to die out on both plants somewhat. Looking for mostly cloudy with slight amber on the trichomes. Looking for the effect from previous usage of this particular strain, that my brain can slow down, stay calm, lower my blood pressure, and not put me to sleep. I just have no idea of how fast they can change from cloudy to amber... and I don't really want a couch-lock. When my brain does slow down, I can actually fall asleep. And, I still do not have a game plan for the harvest.... I don't know if I am supposed to let them dry out for a day or so... kill the lights for 30 hours or so... still just don't know. And with life and relatives in and out, it's hard to get time to read all of the options... The feller that I got the clones from, told me how he didn't flush, used BB and molasses right up till close to the end, didn't water the last 24 hours and chopped.
The way he does it, I have never coughed, so I want at least one plant to be as close to his method as possible, while using the other gal to maybe learn something that might make a wonderful awesome medicine for me even better. I know I'm selfish, but this has been a God-send for me. And I am so thankful for all the help the folks here are giving. My clone guy lives over in Missouri, hasn't gotten his license yet, and I can't just call him up and ask him, due to situations.... you know, life. Hah, and thanks for listening to me ramble. I'll shup now, as the missus says it. Have a great evening.

Thanks SQL..... I started the flush on one girl about a week ago, and the other girl is getting a very light, Fox Farm Big Bloom, and molasses mix till two days from the end. I figure with these twins I can at least get my own assessment of the harvest flush for harshness while smoking the medicine......
Hah, well that experiment got poured on the wrong girl this morning..... Yep, nuted the wrong girl, oh well I guess I'm going with the non-flush on both girls this time.... Have a great day!

Why flush a plant before you harvest? Asking for a friend ;).
Hiya Shed, well, I was going to flush one of the girls and continue on with my nutes on the twin, just to satisfy my own curiosity. But, I messed up, and will end up not flushing either until the last day, I guess. Being an absolute newby, I have read threads on flushing and not flushing. Just like the 24-36 hours of darkness before harvest. Or washing buds or not washing buds. These are all head-scratchers for me. I think I read that FF's Big Bloom is listed as organic, so I am using that until the end. I know what your take on flushing is. What is your take on the darkness before harvest theory, anything to it? I will probably wash the buds, as even though my shed is fairly air-tight, I still get gnats and dust in there, if I can figure out how to get it cut in pieces to swish around in five gallon buckets. And thanks for checking in on me, I need it sometimes. Have a great evening Bro.

Flushing and going water-only during the final week(s) of a plants' life can not and will not remove nutrients from the buds. Nothing will remove nutrients from the buds, as they are sinks in the plant, not sources. If you go with water only, you deprive the plant of nutrients, and the plant will try to pull those nutrients from the leaves (which is why they all turn yellow when you flush), but guess where all those nutrients are going...to the buds. On top of which, only mobile nutrients can be sourced from the leaves; calcium needs to be obtained from the roots, among other micro nutrients.

While Big Bloom is organically sourced, you aren't growing organically as you use synthetic nutrients, which is what the FF trio is.

Washing is an actual thing! It cleans the dust and pet hair from the buds, but even if you had a hermetically sealed grow, it helps the plants dry more evenly by making the plant evenly wet after harvest. I go with H2O2 and water, but others go with lemon juice and baking soda. Dutchman did a good video tutorial on that here.

And I don't know anyone who noticed any difference after doing the extended dark period before harvest (including me), so I don't know anyone who tried it more than once :). Harvesting at lights on is best though.

I hope that's all helpful!

Flushing and going water-only during the final week(s) of a plants' life can not and will not remove nutrients from the buds. Nothing will remove nutrients from the buds, as they are sinks in the plant, not sources. If you go with water only, you deprive the plant of nutrients, and the plant will try to pull those nutrients from the leaves (which is why they all turn yellow when you flush), but guess where all those nutrients are going...to the buds. On top of which, only mobile nutrients can be sourced from the leaves; calcium needs to be obtained from the roots, among other micro nutrients.

While Big Bloom is organically sourced, you aren't growing organically as you use synthetic nutrients, which is what the FF trio is.

Washing is an actual thing! It cleans the dust and pet hair from the buds, but even if you had a hermetically sealed grow, it helps the plants dry more evenly by making the plant evenly wet after harvest. I go with H2O2 and water, but others go with lemon juice and baking soda. Dutchman did a good video tutorial on that here.

And I don't know anyone who noticed any difference after doing the extended dark period before harvest (including me), so I don't know anyone who tried it more than once :). Harvesting at lights on is best though.

I hope that's all helpful!
Oh, my goodness yes! It's helpful, I will go ahead and nut till the end, skip the darkness part, harvest with lights on, wash and hang..... awesome yes! Whew, thanks to you, I now have a game plan. Yahoo, now I can start flying through journals on how to hang, and then cure. Thanks again so much!

Back
Top Bottom