Oops Better Late Than Never 1st Time Grow Journal, Sort Of

I've heard a number of people say they don't get the same effect from vaping so that's not surprising. Edibles should kick in within an hour or so (and better if eaten with a higher fat meal), so if they didn't they might not have been strong enough. That, however, it hard to believe if one hit holds you for 8 hours!

If you like this strain as your daytime meds, then letting some buds go much more amber is worth a shot, though I don't think any strain that gives you a head high with the giggles is going to be quite the ticket for sleep just because you let it go amber.

Northern Lights should be a couchlock high, but Haze is a sativa. It sounds like the stuff you had was leaning toward the Haze side of the parentage. If you grow clones, they will give you the same effect as the mother, but if you grow seeds from that cross you may get one plant that leans more toward the NL side (different presentations from the same strain are called different phenotypes).

The current strain that I am growing, Northern Lights X ???? Haze, gives me a clear, focused mindset, with a slight dash of the giggles. It lasts for up to eight hours with (for me anyway) a single good hit out of a pipe. He said that he harvested his plants when the trichomes were over half to 70 % cloudy to get this result. You mean that I could harvest most of the
buds at that point, then leave a few to get a more couch-lock effect, and possibly get all the meds I need from one strain? Or am I dreaming?
The concentrates and vapes I did try were from dispensaries in OK, I honestly could not feel any effect whatsoever.
Thanks Shed for keeping an eye out for me. Appreciated!!

NL is great but a bit heavy and sleep promoting for most. YMMV.

By the way, better Nate than lever.

I've heard a number of people say they don't get the same effect from vaping so that's not surprising. Edibles should kick in within an hour or so (and better if eaten with a higher fat meal), so if they didn't they might not have been strong enough. That, however, it hard to believe if one hit holds you for 8 hours!

If you like this strain as your daytime meds, then letting some buds go much more amber is worth a shot, though I don't think any strain that gives you a head high with the giggles is going to be quite the ticket for sleep just because you let it go amber.

Northern Lights should be a couchlock high, but Haze is a sativa. It sounds like the stuff you had was leaning toward the Haze side of the parentage. If you grow clones, they will give you the same effect as the mother, but if you grow seeds from that cross you may get one plant that leans more toward the NL side (different presentations from the same strain are called different phenotypes).

The Missus and I have been scratching our heads over this for months. For some reason, I am a one hit wonder when it comes to herb that I smoke. But, the edibles or vapes nothing.... She always said I wasn't normal.

It is possible that the clones are leaning towards the Haze side. He told me the mother plant was more "lanky" than he had expected. And, from what I've been reading, sativas tend to be taller most of the time, right?

And, yes, these are clones, so I should get the same effect, Yay!
and I might try to let some of the trichs turn even more amber, I don't know.
Thanks for stopping in Shed!

Oops, I have some gummies right now that knock me clean out. My son says they give him f’d up dreams , they straight up lock me down. You most definitely can stagger your harvest. I did my first harvest, and will stagger every time. Mostly because my back can’t take trimming more than a few hours. I went 4 weeks between first cut to last cut.

The Missus and I have been scratching our heads over this for months. For some reason, I am a one hit wonder when it comes to herb that I smoke. But, the edibles or vapes nothing.... She always said I wasn't normal.

It is possible that the clones are leaning towards the Haze side. He told me the mother plant was more "lanky" than he had expected. And, from what I've been reading, sativas tend to be taller most of the time, right?

And, yes, these are clones, so I should get the same effect, Yay!
and I might try to let some of the trichs turn even more amber, I don't know.
Thanks for stopping in Shed!

First pass from the digestive tract to the liver where it is metabolized changes the effect. It may take more or less, depending on the person, to give a similar effect.

Oops, I have some gummies right now that knock me clean out. My son says they give him f’d up dreams , they straight up lock me down. You most definitely can stagger your harvest. I did my first harvest, and will stagger every time. Mostly because my back can’t take trimming more than a few hours. I went 4 weeks between first cut to last cut.

HiJdeck, thanks for stopping in. Do you feel it when the gummies kick in, do you know you are getting tired, quickly?
I will have to think hard about the harvesting at different times. About the only practical place for me to hang the plants to dry is in the grow closet in the shed. Our humidity in this area is quite high. I'd bring them in the house, but we get folks that tend to show up unexpectedly and we would rather not share that wonderful aroma with some that don't feel the way that we do. Thank you again Jdeck for stopping in!

Hi Alafornia, thanks for stopping in..... you said, "First pass from the digestive tract to the liver where it is metabolized changes the effect. It may take more or less, depending on the person, to give a similar effect. " Would that mean that maybe I am not consuming quite enough of the edibles? What if someone's liver had been abused by years of hard drinking? That wouldn't have an effect on how it effects me while ingesting, would it?
Thank you again!

Ok, earlier I took close to 20 pictures out there, and these are the only one's that turned out halfway clear:
100_6526.JPG100_6535.JPG100_6537.JPG100_6538.JPG100_6540.JPG100_6546.JPG100_6548.JPG

The ones I buy are all different doses. From m 10mg to 100mg. 20pc/ 10mg, 10pc/20mg, 4pc/25mg.

Thanks Jdeck, I have seen the gummies in the dispensaries, but had not tried them yet. Have tried the choc bites, carrot cakes, brownies (100 mg) << wife ate 1/4 of it and was chuckling, I ate the rest and didn't really notice anything. I am looking forward to trying the gummies. Thanks Jdeck

Hi Alafornia, thanks for stopping in..... you said, "First pass from the digestive tract to the liver where it is metabolized changes the effect. It may take more or less, depending on the person, to give a similar effect. " Would that mean that maybe I am not consuming quite enough of the edibles? What if someone's liver had been abused by years of hard drinking? That wouldn't have an effect on how it effects me while ingesting, would it?
Thank you again!

Well, if you have known liver problems you do have to be careful and may want to consult a doctor or other trusted health professional first because that depends on your unique circumstances. It is possible you aren't consuming enough. It is also possible a tincture may be better absorbed through the mouth and have better effect than swallowing it on down. Keep in mind that the liver does its things no matter how THC gets in your system so the overall effect on the liver is similar for similar amounts but when absorbed from the gut it passes through the liver before it has a chance to get to the brain. To determine your dose start low and go slow - take some and wait 1-2 hours for edibles and only then add more. It's a slower onset but lasts longer, generally as much as 6-8 hours though YMMV.

Well, if you have known liver problems you do have to be careful and may want to consult a doctor or other trusted health professional first because that depends on your unique circumstances. It is possible you aren't consuming enough. It is also possible a tincture may be better absorbed through the mouth and have better effect than swallowing it on down. Keep in mind that the liver does its things no matter how THC gets in your system so the overall effect on the liver is similar for similar amounts but when absorbed from the gut it passes through the liver before it has a chance to get to the brain. To determine your dose start low and go slow - take some and wait 1-2 hours for edibles and only then add more. It's a slower onset but lasts longer, generally as much as 6-8 hours though YMMV.

Thanks Alafornia. I might give the tincture a try. I will start at lower doses and maybe drip it under my tongue to keep it in the head area a little longer. I can take a hit off a pipe of Granddaddy Purple and be asleep within minutes, but it dries out my contact lenses so quick. Anyway, I'm rambling. Thanks again Alafornia.

Hey @oopssteptinit ... I'm glad you finally started a journal and started asking questions ... it's the best way to learn :)

I'm a fellow soil grower and plan to be for about a year or so before I try coco.

Overall your plants are healthy ... lots of trichomes on the sugar leaves ... gotta love that!

I would suggest getting a TDS pen too, ... you should journal some key values like pH and ppm ... just in case.

As for pH ... I get good results by varying feeds from 6.3 to 6.8 ... I never like to run the same pH back-to-back:

0_1560995287617.png

Are you ready to harvest? I put together a nice summary for anyone to use when the time comes:

Research on Harvesting, Drying and Curing (Paper Bags and Jars)

Alright ... I'm looking forward to more of your updates, ... and learning from your questions!

Hey @oopssteptinit ... I'm glad you finally started a journal and started asking questions ... it's the best way to learn :)

I'm a fellow soil grower and plan to be for about a year or so before I try coco.

Overall your plants are healthy ... lots of trichomes on the sugar leaves ... gotta love that!

I would suggest getting a TDS pen too, ... you should journal some key values like pH and ppm ... just in case.

As for pH ... I get good results by varying feeds from 6.3 to 6.8 ... I never like to run the same pH back-to-back:

0_1560995287617.png

Are you ready to harvest? I put together a nice summary for me to use when the time comes:

Research on Harvesting, Drying and Curing (Paper Bags and Jars)

Alright ... I'm looking forward to more of your updates, ... and learning from your questions!

Hiya SQl, thanks for stopping in. When you say you vary the PH feeds, what do you mean? Splashing a dash of either PH up or down in the feed? I will have to get a TDS pen. Thank you for the chart and the link! And, thank you again for your help and future help.

Hiya SQl, thanks for stopping in. When you say you vary the PH feeds, what do you mean? Splashing a dash of either PH up or down in the feed? I will have to get a TDS pen. Thank you for the chart and the link! And, thank you again for your help and future help.

Good question. pH pens are not perfect, ... but they do get close to actual values.

So, ... what I do for one feed ... is to add all my nutrients ... then pH up to 6.3.

Then, for the feed after that, I add all my nutrients ... then pH up to 6.8.

This way I am guaranteed to get excellent nutrient uptake by the roots.

The other thing I do for feeding is to make a light feed ... with all my nutrients ... about 250 ppm ... and use this as a supplement foliar feed.

I would never suggest foliar feeding without a TDS pen ... even if you are using FF Flowing Kiss ... it's too dangerous to foliar feed blind.

Knowing your ppm gives you feedback over time that you are feeding more and more nutrients to your plants as they grow. Also, you can have quantitative confidence that you are not overfeeding or underfeeding.

Back
Top Bottom