PeeJay's Prudent Home-Brewed Organic Soil - Outdoor Out of Sight Deck Grow

Likewise, guys!

I'm looking forward to COorganics getting his grow back on. :thumb:

And good to see you here, 60cal. We're all live soil cultivators. :cheesygrinsmiley:

I read way more than I post. There is always some amazing stuff going on in the journals. Gray, himself, is always churning out amazing produce. He may never win a POTM, but his weed will stand up against the finest grown anywhere, and I do mean ANYWHERE.

I read waaaay more too Peejay. I find myself chasing thread subscriptions and wading through so much good stuff, I sometimes forget to go look at the new journals and see what else is cooking.

:volcano-smiley: I saw this new smiley and HAD to use it

I have a question for everyone. I know many people 'flush' their plants before harvest. Can someone please explain to me how I 'm supposed to do this when plants are in the ground with plenty of nutrients, compost, trace elements, rock powders, rock dust, all manner of biota, etc. How does flushing that soil work? And are we saying outdoor grows taste horrible compared to flushed grows? I'm not even sure flushing does what people think it does. Anyone?

You only need to flush the plant if you are using fertilizers that aren't considered organic. Otherwise it doesn't really make a difference as long as there is a really nice nitrogen depletion (the fade)

In essence, the idea of flushing is that we want to force the plant to stop taking in so much nutrients from the soil, but rather we want it to use up/rid itself of the stored nutrients that are in the plant tissue. So as long as the plant uses up all its own stored energy (aka its dying and you see all the yellow leaves), that's what we aim for.

For plants in the ground that NEED to be flushed. You would consider using a flushing solution which has a chelating agent that helps the plant focus on utilizing stored nutrients in the tissue, rather than the nutrients in the soil. For buds that req. flushing, this can help the final value and flavor of the finished end result.

Hope that helps :Namaste:

Yes, I do understand what it all means, but I do not really think it is necessary for growing in soil in the ground. I cannot figure out, chelation or not, how the soil would ever have no nutrients left. I sure wouldn't use anything to make that happen, anyway.

What is a brand name of flush/chelation you would use in the ground?

There are several brands, GF, but as Lester said you don't need to worry about it in organic soil with pretty plants like yours eating a whole food diet. I've never grown in the ground and all I know is what I've seen here. I've never seen anyone try to flush an outdoor plant in the ground. Your smoke is going to taste like love.

GF think of this, flush built up salts out of a container, not Nutrients.
Or don't bother because you don't need to. Probably especially in the ground. I believe you're taking an organic approach anyhow, and flushing isn't going to do anything except get the ground really wet.

I wish I could post a link to a pretty complete discussion on the subject, but not kosher here unfortunately. Search around or keep asking good questions, this is a relevant subject.

If you grow a plant in the ground in organic soil with only organic fertilizers then you do not need to flush your plant.

When I flush my container plants that were given nutrients such as D&S, I use a flushing solution called Final Phase by Advanced Nutrients.

I've been trying to wrap my head around soil CEC lately, and I barely get it, lol, but I think there lies the answer to why flushing a healthy living all natural soil is pointless. Maybe even counterproductive, idk.

We are trying to have a negatively charged sites in the soil where nutrients bind to and don't leech out of. So what's flushing going to accomplish?

Cation Exchange Capacity in Soils, Simplified

Please help me out (well all of us), and correct me if I'm wrong. As I said Soil CEC is something I have a very limited understanding of, but seems paramount in an organic grow. And to me it explains why flushing, wouldn't work, and doesn't make sense in real organic gardens.

CEC is a HUGE subject and one which I am only qualified to briefly discuss. So I'll wait around for an expert on that. So what I've been able to glean from this discussion is that, in an organically prepared soil, using only organic materials as it pertains to nutrition and additives and no flush is necessary.

Now, if the 30 gallon LK containerized plants have the exact same mix in them, including some of the native soil which I always put into my containers as an innoculant...I shouldn't need to flush. BUT, okay I think this will help: I have two LKs in the exact same containers, soil, and were watered and fertilized at exactly the same time in the same sun exposure. One of them will get the royal flush treatment, the other not. Let's see what happens. What's the worst that can happen? Harsh smoke? I'll still wash both plants before drying and curing.

I have a plan in my mind. One thing I'll say, the LKs definitely smell lemony out there. The plants have not started to stink up yet. I hope that comes soon.

This is a great discussion which I hope will continue. Let's get out books and websites and dig into CEC (cation exchange capacity) like this was a 3 credit course! I'm in. Let's understand it so well we can explain it to a scientist.

I dig that GF, and I imagine PeeJay won't mind it at all on his thread, ill be getting back into it mañana though, as I have a gathering here and am indulging in all sorts soon.

Great, and I too think PJ won't mind, but he will say so if he does, right Peege?

Gray, it's really a great subject and not so overwhelmingly hard to understand. It's just big. One thing has to do with another thing and another, and another. Lot's of connections. Did you ever watch the TV show, Connections with J. Burke? Like that. :)

Back
Top Bottom