PeeJay's Prudent Home-Brewed Organic Soil - Outdoor Out of Sight Deck Grow

Update:

Things are moving right along with strong growth and glowing health. I am seeing some minor leaf sucker evidence. When my sprayer full of rosemary-citronella-Azatrol ran out two weeks ago I never made another batch. I have the herbs steeping for a new batch. I'm also going to add a new ingredient to that foliar bug defense. I have some SeaCon-PGR which is a concentrated organic cold water kelp extract. It was highly recommended to me by a non-member. It is used at 5ml per gallon. I'm going to spray weekly for the next five weeks and am contemplating a soil drench or two with the same formula. I'm continuing to top dress when I water with a mixture of the flower soil, worm castings, Yum Yum and a pinch of high P guano. The plants have been in the containers for ten weeks now. Don't want my dirt to run out of gas. Brix readings on Alpha and Beta this morning were 14 and 13.5 respectively.

It is becoming difficult to get pictures of the whole plants in the greenhouse due to their size. There is adequate room in there to get around and inspect and water, but it is very difficult to get whole plant pictures.

First a family photo taken from outside the greenhouse looking in.

family_8-6.jpg

Neglected clone is 2 feet 3 inches tall measuring from the top of the soil. Looking at it in the above picture gives you a good idea of how big the other plants are.

neglected_clone_8-6.jpg

Alpha is 3 feet four inches tall from the top of the soil and a solid three feet across in both directions. There are going to be a ton of flowers on this plant.

alpha6_8-6.jpg

Alpha1_8-6.jpg

alpha4_8-6.jpg

Beta measures 27"x22" across the top of the canopy and is much shorter than Alpha. I mentioned in the last update that I wish I hadn't done any LST and just topped her up a little more. I've been thinking about that a little. The first time I grew the WP I tried to LST it and it didn't respond by throwing out new branches at all. Graytail was growing the same strain and had some nice bushes. I asked how he had achieved it and he replied that he had just topped the plant a few times, and did a little manual redirection without tie downs. I don't think this strain is a good candidate for bondage style LST. Its dwarf genetics seem to do much better with topping. Granted, Beta is also in a seven gallon container and Alpha is in a ten. Beta is a bit ahead of Alpha in the flowering department.

Beta1_8-6.jpg

Beta2_8-6.jpg

beta3_8-6.jpg

Beta4_8-6.jpg

Peege,

How did you get the plants to be so neat and upright? It's like an upside down umbrella.

My plants outside today are wilting, but only the MM. It is to be 99 for the rest of the week and next. No rain. Sun is now in a position where the plants are getting full, strong sun till a bit after 4p. It's good they get the shade from 4 on because that is some intense heat going on.

Alpha is 3 feet four inches tall from the top of the soil and a solid three feet across in both directions. There are going to be a ton of flowers on this plant.
You better believe it!

Peege,

How did you get the plants to be so neat and upright? It's like an upside down umbrella.

It's really as simple as topping the plant a couple of times, GF. When the plant is six nodes tall whack off the top and remove the branches at the 1st node. You will be left with four nodes. The topmost one will double and become two branches. Auxin redistribution will encourage branch growth in the three nodes below. So, after that first topping you'll have two colas from the top node, and six from the lower nodes. As the plant grows you top the tallest branches which are usually the ones farther up. Each time one of those is topped you'll get two more colas going. The lower most branches grow up and around the ones higher up. Easy money.

Graytail became my training inspiration early on when I took up this hobby. He churns out two footers with between 8 and 16 solid colas at a furious rate with relatively short veg times. I used this technique on my last two grows where I always needed to be able to move the plants inside on cold evenings. Here is the Darkstar and OG that were treated the same way. These two were only topped once to give 8 branches.

P1030001.jpg

P1030069.jpg

og60d1.jpg

I also did the porta scrog and got this with Mama Mia. I got lots of tops that way, and will do another porta scrog this winter.

helenlvy.jpg

My overall impression, as I mentioned in your journal the other day, is that there is nothing low stress about LST. In fact, I think it causes more stress than topping due to all the manipulation and plant touching. Sure some folks do really well with Scrog or Flux, but how many people have you see successfully duplicate LA's flux success? I encourage you to give some selective topping a try.

Here's one more shot of Alpha from today with the camera held against the 6' 6" roof of the greenhouse.

20140806_111007.jpg

Other people's results will vary, but I think everyone should try topping a plant a few times to keep it short and bushy and make their own assessment. I also think that it is a good idea to grow a plant straight up with a short veg to get in tune with how the plant likes to grow au natural. I've done that too.

Those are some beautiful flowers on those plants. So tight and compact. Yes, I did top all of the plants, including the clone which has many limbs. I'll update those girls later.

Thanks for the tutorial. I've been doing everything. LA's opening the nodes, topping and later on I need to start to train over. I'm going to try an indoor spiral. It's sort of a flux, but not.

Your plants are just beautiful.

Great update. Reminds me to keep a better log of what I do training wise with each strain I like. It's so strain dependent. I try all sorts of stuff on my plants. Just have to remember what works for what. At some point it should be clear how to grow each of them best. My bubblegum responds great to being topped several times, no "bondage".

Hi PeeJay. Just wanted to say Thank You for that topping tutorial. The hows and the whys perfectly explained. I'll be trying that next year. I wonder...were you ever a teacher? If so, you must have been a terrific one. If you weren't then the world missed out. (You don't need to tell me. :cheesygrinsmiley: Just saying. :))
:thanks::circle-of-love:

:goodjob: I am ashamed of myself for not coming to your yard more often, PeeJay. I'm glad you saw my yum-yum pic, I see 2 friends from my yard have jumped ship & joined the educational fun in here. :cheesygrinsmiley: I will be the third. I have to go back & get up to speed. Your first page is very well done and my drool rag is now completely saturated, so, I'll get a freshy & come back soon.

I'll be making my first trip to the Urban Garden Center tomorrow Coach PJ. All I need for us to get started is the Perlite and Peat-moss. 'll also check to see what other goodies they have that you might deem beneficial.

Again, Thanxx a mill. Not only are you walking me through this but you've located a hotspot for soil not to far from me that I never knew existed...

I'll PM you about a couple of other things you might see if they have, Reg.

Spent some time cleaning up underneath the two big plants this morning. I set the timer and squeezed into the corner behind Alpha for a photo. The size of plants on all my previous grows have been constrained by the dimensions of my small indoor cabinet. It sure is fun being able to go bigger.

aplhacleaner.jpg

It kind of does, GF. I suppose that I'm just very use to looking at much smaller plants in person with my other grows. It is as deep as it is wide. When I squeeze in there with it my reaction is always "whoa..." She is going to start falling all over herself as she adds bud weight.

That's a beautiful plant, PeeJay! Definitely POTM material when it's time. :cheesygrinsmiley:

With all the outdoor monsters coming down the pipes right now, Gray, my plant doesn't stand a snowballs chance in hell of winning POTM. Things are looking very good, though!

Stop under-estimating your grow...

I'm not underestimating, Reg. I'm happy as a clam! I'm also in awe of some other grows going on currently. I read way more than I post. There is always some amazing stuff going on in the journals. Gray, himself, is always churning out amazing produce. He may never win a POTM, but his weed will stand up against the finest grown anywhere, and I do mean ANYWHERE.

I always learn something here PeeJay, thanks.

I'm going to subscribe to Graytail since you talk so highly of him.

Back
Top Bottom