Phenominawesome Family First Grow Tries Aurora Indica, AK48's - 1KW MH/HPS - 5x5 Tent

Re: Phenominawesome Family First Grow Tries Aurora Indica, AK48's - 1KW MH/HPS - 5x5

And... Shoot...seeds.

I was hoping it was just super enlarged calyx but I found a few seeds on the sickly Aurora which I was close to doing, anyway to keep the environment clean.

Looks like they all got it to some degree.

I cannot find the male parts! Man looking everywhere. I think it may have been me being to rough with that female turned male.

I have purposefully not touched the buds if at all possible but this time I went ahead and checked some suspect parts and yep. Seeds.

So if I cannot find the hermie part I'll guess these are AK48 crosses or babies. Unstable plant though so worthless.

I had hoped it was local to the Aurora, it was a fem seed.

Bright side I guess, should still have something to smoke when done

Re: Phenominawesome Family First Grow Tries Aurora Indica, AK48's - 1KW MH/HPS - 5x5

Good Morning Phenoman,

I will probably catch flak over the next few lines, but follow my logic if you will...and please take my words with a grain of salt and remember this is but one man's perspective; mine.

Don't over think your pH...look at the last picture you posted. There is nothing wrong with that girl. Ok, I can see some slight leaf tip burn...this isn't unusual, especially as this strain dips further into its flowering and it begins to rely on less and less Nitrogen. Remember, you're growing in soil...if you were in a Coco system, or DWC or some other hydro process, you'd have to monitor pH, why?...because the only nutrients your plant can get come straight from the water you're putting in and, if the water isn't at a pH that allows all of the nutrients to be available to the plant, you'll get a lock out, a deficiency or an issue. However, you're growing in soil, and soil does not behave in the same manner, nor do the roots in soil react the same as roots in a hydro system. The soil is your buffer, your bridge if you will, connecting your nutrients, which lie in the soil, to the plant. It appears, though I have no experience with your soil brand, that you have a good starting soil, so unless it started out extremely acidic or basic, which I highly doubt being lots of people are using it with good results, I wouldn't sweat it. Furthermore, in terms of soil, you're growing this plant much like it would grow in nature...in the dirt. Stop and think for a moment; when it rains, does the rain come down in such amounts that it causes 'run off' from the top of the roots to the bottom, for every plant growing in the ground; no. In fact, where heavy rains and run off are observed in nature, and in farming for that matter, what you get is barren, washed out land...not a growing jungle. Every time you water your soil to run off, you're leaching out the nutrients in that soil and if you're chasing a pH number in that run off, you're essentially chasing your tail and in the process goofing up your girls.

In my situation, I use soil, premixed and amended by me with granular, natural organic fertilizers (liquid nutes, which are essentially dissolved 'salts' can bind up your soil and accumulate to levels that harm your plant/s and force you to leach your medium, which is not something you want) prior to putting the seedling in the pot. I don't pre 'cook' the soil, nor do I worry about its pH (this does assume you're working with a quality soil). I then take regular ol' water from the hose / tap and water as needed just to the point of saturating the pot without any considerable run off. That's it...the nutrients in the soil will break down over time, feeding the plant throughout its entire life cycle, the plant will use the nutrients as it needs them (plants are a lot smarter than we sometimes give them credit for) and in the process the soil will be your pH pen, your calibration solution, your pH up or down, etc...in essence you set it and forget it.

So what does this all mean...nothing really, except that like everyone, I have an opinion too...haha. Seriously though, the proof is in your picture...You're doing fine! Don't over think the process...let your girls have their way in your soil, sit down and observe them on a daily basis, note how they look in an over all general sense (and they look damn good to me) and listen to what they have to say to you (c'mon now, we all know they can talk...haha). You're well on your way to Indica heaven my friend.

Have an awesome day!

Sorry to hear about the seeds...but

Wind to your back, pedal down, don't look behind you and keep on keeping on. There's a hell of a lot worse you could be dealing with.

Have a great day!

Good Morning Phenoman,

I will probably catch flak over the next few lines, but follow my logic if you will...and please take my words with a grain of salt and remember this is but one man's perspective; mine.

Don't over think your pH...look at the last picture you posted. There is nothing wrong with that girl. Ok, I can see some slight leaf tip burn...this isn't unusual, especially as this strain dips further into its flowering and it begins to rely on less and less Nitrogen. Remember, you're growing in soil...if you were in a Coco system, or DWC or some other hydro process, you'd have to monitor pH, why?...because the only nutrients your plant can get come straight from the water you're putting in and, if the water isn't at a pH that allows all of the nutrients to be available to the plant, you'll get a lock out, a deficiency or an issue. However, you're growing in soil, and soil does not behave in the same manner, nor do the roots in soil react the same as roots in a hydro system. The soil is your buffer, your bridge if you will, connecting your nutrients, which lie in the soil, to the plant. It appears, though I have no experience with your soil brand, that you have a good starting soil, so unless it started out extremely acidic or basic, which I highly doubt being lots of people are using it with good results, I wouldn't sweat it. Furthermore, in terms of soil, you're growing this plant much like it would grow in nature...in the dirt. Stop and think for a moment; when it rains, does the rain come down in such amounts that it causes 'run off' from the top of the roots to the bottom, for every plant growing in the ground; no. In fact, where heavy rains and run off are observed in nature, and in farming for that matter, what you get is barren, washed out land...not a growing jungle. Every time you water your soil to run off, you're leaching out the nutrients in that soil and if you're chasing a pH number in that run off, you're essentially chasing your tail and in the process goofing up your girls.

In my situation, I use soil, premixed and amended by me with granular, natural organic fertilizers (liquid nutes, which are essentially dissolved 'salts' can bind up your soil and accumulate to levels that harm your plant/s and force you to leach your medium, which is not something you want) prior to putting the seedling in the pot. I don't pre 'cook' the soil, nor do I worry about its pH (this does assume you're working with a quality soil). I then take regular ol' water from the hose / tap and water as needed just to the point of saturating the pot without any considerable run off. That's it...the nutrients in the soil will break down over time, feeding the plant throughout its entire life cycle, the plant will use the nutrients as it needs them (plants are a lot smarter than we sometimes give them credit for) and in the process the soil will be your pH pen, your calibration solution, your pH up or down, etc...in essence you set it and forget it.

So what does this all mean...nothing really, except that like everyone, I have an opinion too...haha. Seriously though, the proof is in your picture...You're doing fine! Don't over think the process...let your girls have their way in your soil, sit down and observe them on a daily basis, note how they look in an over all general sense (and they look damn good to me) and listen to what they have to say to you (c'mon now, we all know they can talk...haha). You're well on your way to Indica heaven my friend.

Have an awesome day!
Thanks CannaCountry, that's all good stuff.

I agree with the soil being my buffer.
I didn't know about dolomite lime for PH stability for example then but it's good to know now.
that is the main reason why I chose soil for a first go.

I think the method you use is awesome and believe me I've been on the fence...we started this grow in a rush and slightly over budget so the amendments (compost, earth worm castings, dolomite lime, soil etc. were cast aside for the $90 fox farm bottled line thinking it will last a long time...however, I don't like it that much and am switching to either cannabis specific or even Jacks 321 or a GH 2 part base with some misc. key additions.

Truly glad you bring it up because I always like to hear how folks are achieving success and the reasons why.

I want something easy, water only would be perfect!

However I like granular control...I guess my two biggest hangups with soil are bugs, and the inability to quickly change the medium when I mess it up ;) (granted a proper mix and I shouldn't be messing anything up).

The second part to that would be working out how much to add so that they use up natural stores those last two weeks.

I really prefer the heavily flushed stuff personally and I'll add also that properly done soil mix does exactly the same thing its just a bit more trial and error to dial it in I would think?

Thanks again! Hope that you have a great day!

Looking good phenoman. I agree with canna. I use fox farms ocean forest soil and don't ph at all. I only water to run off and only flush once during the last weeks of flower. That soil has so many nutrients in it already my girls don't need any nutes until flower and half strength is usually enough. I wouldn't worry about your plants too much they look good.

Looking good phenoman. I agree with canna. I use fox farms ocean forest soil and don't ph at all. I only water to run off and only flush once during the last weeks of flower. That soil has so many nutrients in it already my girls don't need any nutes until flower and half strength is usually enough. I wouldn't worry about your plants too much they look good.
Thanks Jgrowlove!

That's exactly what I did actually.
They have Fox Farm ocean Forest only and I'm using Fox Farms nutrients. I started last week of veg they had a good 4 weeks without adding food and looked great. Just started to yellow when my nutes showed.

Well with seeds in there and judging by the size they have growing a while.

I'm so embarrassed lol. Been shooting photos of what I thought were beautiful buds and now they have seeds:(

I guess this turned into a concentrates and edibles run primarily.

I am hoping it was that male issue and I'm done with it.
If that's the case all isn't lost there is still some decent looking stuff.

I just hope there is not some nanner i can see shooting pollen all over.
Or that I knew for sure what happened then I can learn.

Next time no bag seeds, and any runts, injured or cherity cases are killed before flower.

That cost us too much that we already really can't afford with this hobby.

I stopped using perlite in coco, in soil perlite helps but in coco it really isn't going to improve draining over pure coco.

I stopped using perlite in coco, in soil perlite helps but in coco it really isn't going to improve draining over pure coco.
Cool, thanks PW. That's excellent can save a little $ :)

Hey hey!
Some good news in the post!
This is what we are using for our mom hunt this fall :)
I will do my best running these, clones especially.
Damn, need to build a cloner...

1.jpg

Looks like a worthy contender, breed your best female to your best male and the go pheno hunting

Ok here are a few pics of the Aurora.

Looks like the problem it's getting worse.

I did just now feed them so I will wait a bit before freaking but the problem has reached new growth.

Bright Red topped petioles and light lime green leaves with brown spotting /bruising.

The first photo the leaf is actually curling like a major nute burn.

So, I'll watch through the night and see if she gets worse.

I suppose my course would be to pound ph'd water with floraclean through the medium and flush it out.

Then refertilize.

Not quite sure how but I'll look it up if it comes to that...

Crazy first grow. Staying positive.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Hey Pheno...

Mind if I ask you to list the last couple times you fed her, when it was, what it was and at what strength...don't panic, let's see if we can work it out.

Light burn maybe?
Thanks Pennywise,

That is possible, I wouldn't think that I had enough intensity what if not enough fresh air with extra light?

When I got the saucers I moved her up a few inches, this started right after.

I'll post my feeds for Canna too, I bet with the wealth of knowledge I can get back on track.

Thanks a bunch for that:)

Hey Pheno...

Mind if I ask you to list the last couple times you fed her, when it was, what it was and at what strength...don't panic, let's see if we can work it out.
Sure thing:

Each week they get one feeding of fox farms soil schedule for that particular week.

I didn't start until the last week of veg and at 1/4 str.

They had been in Ocean Forest only for 5 weeks total, 4 weeks in big pots.

Actually, let me get my journal and I can get on the computer in a bit. Too hard from my phone:)

Ok first feed at 30 days .food farms full soil line week 3 veg at 1/3 str.
See photo.
I got in another feed before flower,

Week 4 veg at 1/3 and open seseme full strength. That is powerful stuff I should have been lighter.

Each week of flower per schedule at 1/2 strength. One feed one or two waters per week.

My feeding could have been a lot easier without so many strains lol.

Here's where its grey.

I didn't soak the pots when feeding.

All but the biggest plant got 320z of food mixture. The biggest got 64 ounces.

Just now today they received a second feeding for week 5.
1/2 strength, soaked pots this time.

Hope this helps? I wonder if it is a light stress issue.

The yellow giant AI fan leaf is irrelevant. I just realized that one I doused with fertilizer the last feed. Its copart on the opposite side is great save for slight chlorosis from late veg. Nothing serious.

No the problems seem to be with the newer growth. The last 2 waters before today's feed were heavy and leached salts.

So question: how fast can lockouts ruin a plant?

Do I have a little time to think amd observe?

Thanks so much!!

4.jpg

Edit when I say week 5 I mean week 5 on 12/12.

Back
Top Bottom