Picking Up A New Hobby! 4x4x6.5 Indoor Tent

MrDabFace

Hey 420 Magazine Forum Members!!

I have been lurking for awhile now and with working from home I'm taking up a new Hobby!

It all started when I was visiting our cottage in Michigan. I found a local person on Strainly who was selling a GMO clone. One of my favorite strains at the current moment! I really really wanted to get my hands on this and its been about 10 years since my last grow. So I reach out to the person on Strainly and we go back and forth in the meantime I start working on a equipment list.

When I get something in my head I deep dive the shit out of it and its full send....

So I started with this vision of
low budget {will come back to this later} just add water setup. I bought a Giixer 1000W LED Grow Light :laughtwo: and a 4 x 4 x 6.5 Tent and some Super Soil Organic Concentrate by Natures Living Soil after seeing this article and doing some research on the product, and some FoxFarm FX14100 Coco Loco Potting Mix.

So I'm in for around 250 ish dollars had some seeds laying around my house in a jar I have been hanging on and popped them into some red cups. I started by setting up the tent outside in my garage but soon realized that the colder weathers were not going to be nice to me. So I took over our spare bedroom my wife was using as her storage / reading room :laughtwo: {Ill have to repay her with something here soon}

2020-10-31 22.19.13.3610.jpg
2020-10-31 22.19.03.6960.jpg

So now I have the Tent setup in the room and the GMO Fella is willing to ship me the clone {
with the weather I was going to have to wait till next season} but luckily we got a break in the weather. So now I'm full research. I know my light is garbage so now I'm thinking shit I need to get some better equipment. So instead of just doing this lower budget grow I'm now researching LEDs by Spider Farmer, Mars, and HLG :hmmmm: :thedoubletake:

I see there is a deal on the 600R spec lights. I get on YouTube and googling and start looking up all the grows under these lights. Seeing results pros and cons from grows, looking at SpiderFarmer lights, vs Mars Lights but something had me interested in the Horticulture Lighting Group LEDs. So I purchase the 600R light around $750 :lot-o-toke: {The "Low Budget" Grow} Going to need an exhaust fan now, a hanging fan, and I bought a smart sensor that does temp, humidity, and air pressure. Oh and cant forget the PH pen :yummy: So we are in for around a G now lol. But from owning a 300 Gallon Saltwater Tank if your going to do something that you want to do for awhile just buy the proper parts the first time and it will save tons of headaches and time {in most cases}. I learned the hard way with the 300 gal tank after buying some of the name brand higher end parts and realizing what I was missing out on. That may not {probably is not} necessarily the same for growing but I don't want to half ass it and I do think the lights were way underpar for a 4x4. I also know these new lights are Overkill but they should last me a long time and do some pretty good producing. So that's the updated mindset lol it is what it is.....

New Lights Arrived:
2020-11-04 18.31.41.8790.jpg

I will say that Natures Living Soil, man my house smells like shit lol. I read a lot of reviews about it smelling bad so I planted everything outside in the garage not thinking when I brought it in the house it was going to smell up the whole room haha :eye-roll: I am using 5 Gallon Smart Pots.

According to reviews I have 3-4 more days before it goes away....

PS if you haven't figured out I'm a "review" and "google" whore. Way to much time spent into reviews and youtube videos lol.

Well Here is where we are today after the package arrived with no issues :goof:

2020-11-06 00.28.45.3750.jpg

2020-11-06 00.29.01.4510.jpg

2020-11-06 00.29.09.7790.jpg

2020-11-06 00.29.13.9790.jpg

2020-11-06 00.29.29.3870.jpg

2020-11-06 00.29.57.4060.jpg

2020-11-06 00.30.07.3840.jpg

Right now the LED is around 38 inches off the plant, its at around 10-12ish % intensity.

In my mind I'm kind of thinking maybe I get rid of the 3 little red cups and just focus my time on this GMO clone. Get that baby up and running then get some cuts off her and just run it. Not worry about if those seedlings are males / females.

Thoughts what do you guys/gals think?

I love there is a form that is specific to growing where you can get help and input from the community. Same thing on the Saltwater Fish tank side the forums are Life Savers! Very glad I could join this forum!!

Ill also use this as my personal calendar.

Watered the GMO plant in the 5 gal smart pot about 1.2ish gallons of water before I started to notice the water coming out of the bottom of the pot ever so slightly.

Picked up the pot to get a good idea of the weight {I did this before watering too} I read the article The Proper Way To Water A Potted Plant. Lots of great information there! Huge Shoutout To @Emilya such a great article.

Looking forward to this journey and learning as much as I possibly can!

One of the other things I would like to dive into down the road is with owning a saltwater tank I have an RO/DI unit with the DI portion. Questions I have but haven't found solid answers for:

1. Can I use the RO Waste Water that I toss down the drain when I go to make my saltwater to feed my plants? Is it worth it, is it beneficial, does it make sense?
  2. Can I use the RODI water that comes out for my saltwater tank. Remember its not just RO water its RODI water. Is it worth it, is it beneficial, does it make sense?
  3. If i cant use the Waste water or RODI water I believe I can split after the RO Membrane and get water that is only RO Water. But again Is it worth it, is it beneficial, does it make sense?
Just things I think about when I'm trying to sleep at night :bongrip:

Here is what the app looks like for the Temp and humidity sensor

2020-11-06 01.06.53.5660.jpg

I also have my power strips and power connected to a WEMO Smart outlet that will tell me the cost of everything im running {I love technology, its what I do for a living}.

2020-11-06 01.06.58.5920.jpg

lookin good friend,, tho the wee ones be suffering a bit.

might i suggest that you brush up on your watering techniques. there is more to it than one might think. and so important for the wee ones

karma sent friend,, time to get the investment working for you,, cheers

:ciao:

lookin good friend,, tho the wee ones be suffering a bit.

might i suggest that you brush up on your watering techniques. there is more to it than one might think. and so important for the wee ones

karma sent friend,, time to get the investment working for you,, cheers

:ciao:
Yeah for sure I overwater then and realized I didn’t poke holes in the bottom of red cups I transplanted them to new cups with holes hoping this helps I think for sure I def lost one of the little guys I might just remove all the little ones and focus on that clone knowing it’s female. But yeah I def messed up I now have a moisture meter and read the how to water plants article hopefully that mistake won’t happen again.
Thanks for your kind input :thanks:

With those lights, you are going to grow some serious bud...

This guy will keep you appraised of the amount of light you can push

Cannabis Grow Lighting Myths and FAQs with Dr. Bruce Bugbee

Maximising Cannabis Yields

I am essentially using the same lighting as you but in a 4 x 2 that I wish was a 4 x 4 ....

I’m very excited do you have a dimmer on your setup I’m have them at about 10% but wondering when and how to turn them up they say::

The surface leaf temperature with lights on during veg 78
The surface leaf temperature with lights on during flowering 82 to 85

So I’m thinking to put a thermometer at the bottom toward the leaf and capture temp Is this correct lol sorry I feel silly

I’m running a similar light from BudgetLED, I run it at 100% all the time and adjust the height as needed.
Very dumb question how do you adjust the height as needed do you use a par meter do you just base it off the plants.

Sorry this may be a silly question :hmmmm:

there are recommended heights from plants. each light has them or there are generalities. start at 24" away,, then move to 18" then some get down to near 12"

and, yes, watch the plants and proceed over time,, lotso time

there is a light meter app for a phone,, not to measure light amount, but is useful for measuring around the grow space to see light strength variations

Yes I have dimmers which save electricity and heat but obviously one can raise the lights to reduce intensity.

I use a 90W board and dimming a larger board would do for seedlings but as Bugbee points out in those vids cannabis love bright light.

A cannabis seedling is subjected to the full force of the sun once it breaks ground but how much is to be lost in growth for a few days or a week of lower light levels is probably gained in a bit of extra headroom for growers....

That light must draw near as dammit 600 from the wall and a seedling will grow with 1/10th or less of that but it isnt the same as a pasty white dude like me stripping off and sitting in desert sun with no sun cream on....

:cool:

With those lights, you are going to grow some serious bud...

This guy will keep you appraised of the amount of light you can push

Cannabis Grow Lighting Myths and FAQs with Dr. Bruce Bugbee

Maximising Cannabis Yields

I am essentially using the same lighting as you but in a 4 x 2 that I wish was a 4 x 4 ....

i must say,, i learned something today,, several things actually. from the vids. keep in mind mr bugbee is trying to sell me something. red light every time. but i trust his facts. real science,, and a subject i am dead in the middle of

thanks muchly for the link :thanks:

one point,, confused me

the darkness needed during dark time. he said total darkness was important then said the full moon was not too bright.

:hmmmm:

@bluter ,, i recommend watching the vids. you dig this stuff i know. he digs l.e.d. too. all of your recommendations

one thing interested me indeed,, co2,, without added co2, pushing the lights hard is near pointless,, near as i can figure

So moved the lights a little higher to around 39 inches recommended is 38 and turned up the intensity maybe to 15-20% nothing crazy will continue to monitor

6FB5EF1B-EF52-4CA9-9CB8-FA8D662D2483.jpeg

Had to remove the one small seedling overwatered that guy there was no coming back. Still not confident I want to test the other two solo cups but will let them be for a little bit.

still kind of worried about night time May end up moving the light cycle to later to accommodate night time temps

24FC7028-6838-4441-8568-34E25D455813.png

Happy Saturday :bongrip:

one interesting fact in the vids,, is that even seedlings can handle and even prefer a lot of light. even cuttings, without roots love it. new to me info. love that too

ok - you're not a potted plant you're coco. coco is nothing like soil - soil rules do not apply. :straightface:

you need to keep coco wet. can be fed from once to multiple times a day depending on stage of growth. most coco runs a feed/ feed/ water or feed/ feed/ feed/ water schedule. most nutes will be fed between 1/4 to 1/2 the recommended strength on the bottle chart. feed/water til about 10% runoff.

ph to 5.8.

off the hop i'm gonna ask @Pennywise to maybe chime as i know he has coco experience. now that i see @multiVortex hanging about i'll shout to him as well. don't think he's run coco a while though.

you look dry and a bit under fed on the clone. a dome coulda been an idea but the new growth suggests you caught no matter.

seedlings look dry but not bad looking. they are just at the point they might need a very very light feed. they are a bit stretchy - run your light at approx 60% at about 24 - 30 inches from the tops of the seedlings / clone.

welcome to the ride. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Water/feed coco everyday, never skip a day. I start seedling/clones around 5.8 and I’ll go as high as 6.2-6.3 in flower. I don’t use domes on any of my seedlings/clones. Don’t be afraid to turn up your lights. The thing that harms them is heat.

Back
Top Bottom