Quest for mold-resistant strains, Hawaii outdoor greenhouse grow

Some pics from the flower house today...

Left to right... DBL CBG seedling in 5 gal, Humboldt Dream clone in 7 gal, Blueberry clone in 5 gal. Grape Ape with big colas leaning into the view.
flower_house1.jpg

Blueberry clone coming along... colas starting to develop.
blueberry.jpg

Grape Ape clone getting fairly close to harvest. I think in the 5th week of flower or so. Still quite a lot of white stigmas. Fragrance is sweet grape, but not strong.
grape_ape1.jpg

Grape Ape
grape_ape2.jpg

Greetings Growmies,

Regarding mold-resistant strains... I've done a bunch of research over the past few days, looking for available seed for strains with the following qualities:

✔️ high levels of myrcene (or already known to have high mold-resistance)
✔️ have blueberry or white widow genetics (both have high myrcene)

✔️ heavy resin production (also implies strong odor)
✔️ sweet, fruity odor
✔️ not a long flowering time
✔️ good yield
✔️ euphoric/happy effect

✔️ high THC

I looked for seed in each of the classifications: sativa, indica, 50/50 hybrid, and CBD. (For CBD I'm going for 20:1 more than the above criteria.)

I found 7 strains: 2 sativas, 1 indica, 2 50/50 hybrids, and 2 CBDs. All photos. All fem except for one of the sativas. I'll be ordering from 5 different seed banks, all in N. America. (I actually found some other really good ones, too, but decided on the 7 for now.)

The 7 all have the green check mark qualities, and one or both of the purple check marks (above). Of the 5 THC strains, 3 are advertised to produce at least 20% THC, one can reach 20%, and the last one 12-17%.

I'll spill the beans 🤣 once I have ordered the beans, received the beans, germinated them, and get some weedlings... a lot has to happen... you know how it is! I'm gonna order them probably in 3 batches, starting with 3 strains from True North.

wish me luck!

1667460962508.png
WELL OVER 25 YEARS AGO I HYBRIDIZED 3 PURE SATIVA STRAINS I CALLLED M.T.V
....MALAWI AFRICAN GOLD X THAI X VIETNAMESE.....THIS STRAIN WAS AND IS EXTREMELY MOLD RESISTANT.....CHECK OUT SOME OF MY PHOTOS

23 001.jpg

25 001.jpg

11 001.jpg

13 001.jpg

@MITCHELL FLORN thanks for sharing! Wow!

Here's the best I've found so far – zero bud rot in very high-bud rot conditions...

Humboldt Seed Company's HI-BISCUS...

Originally crossed in 2017 by Ronnie of 8-Mile Family Farms in Eastern Humboldt, Zkittles and Blueberry Muffin were destined to meet and create a mind-blowing fruit cocktail of terpenes.

It's a very nice 50/50 hybrid with sativa effects. Clear-headed creative high, euphoric, and body high as well.

I'm getting ready for my summer crop... in 15 gal fabric pots.

I'VE MET THE RONNIE FOLKS SOME YEARS BACK.....HUMBOLDT IS ONLY A FEW HOURS FROM WHERE I LIVE. MY WIFE AND I HIKE AS WELL AS HUNT IN THAT AREA. MY GOOD FRIEND IN HAYWARD GROWS HI- BISCUS....I AGREE WITH YOUR ASSESSMENT.....

On the subject of what causes the "energetic" feeling of sativas vs. indicas...

One should be able to see a one-to-one correspondence between specific terpene percentages, combined with specific cannabinoid percentages – distinct for sativa vs. indica. Does anyone know of a study where this has been investigated and results shown?

Here's from an article on the subject:

"Examples of popular sativa strains include acapulco gold, panama red, and durban poison. Users can get an understanding of expected effects by knowing the THC and CBD percentage, understanding the terpenes, and by reading reviews. Strain guides will combine user reviews to create easily understandable guidelines. For example, acapulco gold is noted to be peppery, with the top reported feeling as “happy”, and “energetic” coming in fifth. Durban poison on the other hand has “energetic” listed as it’s number one reported feeling, with strong fruity flavors. This shows that not all sativas provide the same effects, smells, or tastes."

So, they are saying that Durban Poison is ranked high for an energetic effect, while Acapulco Gold's energetic effect is not so pronounced.

Cannigma.com says, "Based on user reports, Durban Poison tends to be energizing and uplifting (probably thanks to the THC-terpinolene combo that is thought to be affiliated with sativa-like effects)...".

It could be that pure sativas are always terpinolene dominant – I've seen a few examples, but haven't completely verified this.

Durban Poison is a 100% sativa, THC avg. 17-21%, 0.6% CBD, 0.8% CBG, with dominant terpenes terpinolene, ocimene, myrcene, and caryophyllene.

Acapulco Gold is 80% sativa, THC avg. 14-19%, <0.2% CBD, <0.2% CBG, with dominant terpenes limonene, pinene, caryophyllene. (Hard to pin down the terps on this one... another source says myrcene, limonene, caryophyllene – in that order. Other sources say terpinolene is the dominant terpene; however, it seems more of the sources show limonene is dominant.)

It's interesting to note that my best bud rot resistant plant now is HI-BISCUS, which is a 50/50 hybrid with sativa effects. THC is around 20%, CBD around 0.5%, CBG 1%. Dominant terpenes are terpinolene, myrcene, and pinene. It has high resin production and heavy odor at harvest time.

Lastly, let's take a look at Northern Lights... 90-95% indica, THC avg. 22%, <0.2% CBD, 1% CBG, with dominant terpenes caryophyllene (0.35%), humulene (0.34%), limonene (0.25%), and terpinolene (0.25%). [Cannabinoid and terp numbers from Cannigma.com]

So, Northern Lights, according to this one source, can have a unique terpene profile where four terpenes are all about the same percentage. The strain is well known for having a classic relaxing indica high – definitely not energizing.

Cannigma.com says, "Caryophyllene and humulene are thought to be sedative, limonene is considered to be energizing, and terpinolene has shown sedative properties on mice, but subjective user reports on marijuana varieties high in terpinolene suggested an energizing uplifting experience." 🐭

:ciao:

New Canadian study just released regarding mold in cannabis...

I have quite a few thoughts about this... will write them up soon.

THANKS....I HAVE READ THIS ARTICLE. VERY GOOD DATA IS PROVIDED.....I'M INTERESTED IN YOUR THOUGHTS....AS A MICROBIOLOGIST MYCOTOXINS ARE AN EXTREMELY SERIOUS HEALTH THREAT TO HEALTHY INDIVIDUALS LET ALONE IMMUNOCOMPROMISED PATIENTS....
New Canadian study just released regarding mold in cannabis...

I have quite a few thoughts about this... will write them up soon.

One should be able to see a one-to-one correspondence between specific terpene percentages, combined with specific cannabinoid percentages – distinct for sativa vs. indica. Does anyone know of a study where this has been investigated and results shown?

"Examples of popular sativa strains include acapulco gold, panama red, and durban poison. Users can get an understanding of expected effects by knowing the THC and CBD percentage, understanding the terpenes, and by reading reviews. Strain guides will combine user reviews to create easily understandable guidelines. For example, acapulco gold is noted to be peppery, with the top reported feeling as “happy”, and “energetic” coming in fifth. Durban poison on the other hand has “energetic” listed as it’s number one reported feeling, with strong fruity flavors. This shows that not all sativas provide the same effects, smells, or tastes."

So, they are saying that Durban Poison is ranked high for an energetic effect, while Acapulco Gold's energetic effect is not so pronounced.

Cannigma.com says, "Based on user reports, Durban Poison tends to be energizing and uplifting (probably thanks to the THC-terpinolene combo that is thought to be affiliated with sativa-like effects)...".

It could be that pure sativas are always terpinolene dominant – I've seen a few examples, but haven't completely verified this.

Durban Poison is a 100% sativa, THC avg. 17-21%, 0.6% CBD, 0.8% CBG, with dominant terpenes terpinolene, ocimene, myrcene, and caryophyllene.

Acapulco Gold is 80% sativa, THC avg. 14-19%, <0.2% CBD, <0.2% CBG, with dominant terpenes limonene, pinene, caryophyllene. (Hard to pin down the terps on this one... another source says myrcene, limonene, caryophyllene – in that order. Other sources say terpinolene is the dominant terpene; however, it seems more of the sources show limonene is dominant.)

It's interesting to note that my best bud rot resistant plant now is HI-BISCUS, which is a 50/50 hybrid with sativa effects. THC is around 20%, CBD around 0.5%, CBG 1%. Dominant terpenes are terpinolene, myrcene, and pinene. It has high resin production and heavy odor at harvest time.

Lastly, let's take a look at Northern Lights... 90-95% indica, THC avg. 22%, <0.2% CBD, 1% CBG, with dominant terpenes caryophyllene (0.35%), humulene (0.34%), limonene (0.25%), and terpinolene (0.25%). [Cannabinoid and terp numbers from Cannigma.com]

So, Northern Lights, according to this one source, can have a unique terpene profile where four terpenes are all about the same percentage. The strain is well known for having a classic relaxing indica high – definitely not energizing.

Cannigma.com says, "Caryophyllene and humulene are thought to be sedative, limonene is considered to be energizing, and terpinolene has shown sedative properties on mice, but subjective user reports on marijuana varieties high in terpinolene suggested an energizing uplifting experience." 🐭

THE PHARMACODYNAMICS OF A DRUG AND OR A COMPOUND IS AN EXTREMELY COMPLEX PROCESS!! AND A 1:1 CORRELATION IS NOT A REALISTIC ASSUMPTION. PHARMACODYNAMICS OF DRUGS/ COMPOUNDS DEPEND ON MANY COFACTORS....SEX OF AN INDIVIDUAL, RACE OF AN INDIVIDUAL, BLOOD TYPE, WHETHER PATIENT HAS COMORBIDTIDIES SUCH AS DIABETES, B.P.....ETC ETC.

THERE ARE TONS OF PEER REVIEWS STUDIES.....TOO MANY TO LIST HERE....MY SUGGESTION IS GO TO GOOGLE AND TYPE IN.....SCHOLARLY ARTICLES ON PHARMACODYNAMICS OF CANNABINOIDS AND TERPENES.... HERE IS ONE EXAMPLE

Hey Mitchell,
THE PHARMACODYNAMICS OF A DRUG AND OR A COMPOUND IS AN EXTREMELY COMPLEX PROCESS!! AND A 1:1 CORRELATION IS NOT A REALISTIC ASSUMPTION. PHARMACODYNAMICS OF DRUGS/ COMPOUNDS DEPEND ON MANY COFACTORS....SEX OF AN INDIVIDUAL, RACE OF AN INDIVIDUAL, BLOOD TYPE, WHETHER PATIENT HAS COMORBIDTIDIES SUCH AS DIABETES, B.P.....ETC ETC.
Yeah, that's not what I'm talking about. I'm just interested at the moment to draw some possible correlation between terpene and cannabinoid profile, and common experienced effect of "energetic" or not, with respect to sativa vs. indica.

Yes, my "one-to-one" statement was misleading/inaccurate. I meant to say, for most people who experience sativas as being "energizing," what exactly is responsible for that? And the opposite, for indicas being relaxing and sedating.

So, we see terpinolene expressed in sativas, along with high THC, as a possible correlation (energizing). We also see caryophyllene and humulene expressed in indicas (possibly also myrcene), along with high THC, as another possible correlation (relaxing/sedating).

I'm not saying these correlations are true for everyone. I'm saying for the cases where people do observe these effects in sativa and indica strains. Yes, there are many other factors involved.

THERE ARE TONS OF PEER REVIEWS STUDIES.....TOO MANY TO LIST HERE....MY SUGGESTION IS GO TO GOOGLE AND TYPE IN.....SCHOLARLY ARTICLES ON PHARMACODYNAMICS OF CANNABINOIDS AND TERPENES.... HERE IS ONE EXAMPLE
Thanks for the link, but that article doesn't even mention the words "sativa," "indica,", or "terpene". My inquiry is specific, not in the general category of pharmacodynamics of cannabis. Fyi, I'm very handy at online research. I'm actually not going to spend more time on this, at the moment. That's why I'm asking here in the forum if anyone can point to a specific study. @bluter over on this thead sparked my above reply.

:thanks:

Anyone wanna get their mind blown? Puff your favorite and check this out...

🛸👽👽
Saw it on the live feed. Been following the Disclosure project for years. Cheers!

@HashGirl focuses a lot on terpines when selecting her strains. Maybe she knows of a study.

Hey Mitchell,

Yeah, that's not what I'm talking about. I'm just interested at the moment to draw some possible correlation between terpene and cannabinoid profile, and common experienced effect of "energetic" or not, with respect to sativa vs. indica.

Yes, my "one-to-one" statement was misleading/inaccurate. I meant to say, for most people who experience sativas as being "energizing," what exactly is responsible for that? And the opposite, for indicas being relaxing and sedating.

So, we see terpinolene expressed in sativas, along with high THC, as a possible correlation (energizing). We also see caryophyllene and humulene expressed in indicas (possibly also myrcene), along with high THC, as another possible correlation (relaxing/sedating).

I'm not saying these correlations are true for everyone. I'm saying for the cases where people do observe these effects in sativa and indica strains. Yes, there are many other factors involved.

Thanks for the link, but that article doesn't even mention the words "sativa," "indica,", or "terpene". My inquiry is specific, not in the general category of pharmacodynamics of cannabis. Fyi, I'm very handy at online research. I'm actually not going to spend more time on this, at the moment. That's why I'm asking here in the forum if anyone can point to a specific study. @bluter over on this thead sparked my above reply.

:thanks:
AHH, MY BAD FOR MISUNDERSTANDING!!

THIS COMES FROM AN ARTICLE IN MY FILES....AS YOU WILL READ. THE AFFECT AND EFFECTS ARE SYNERGISTIC IN NATURE. HENCE WHY I THOUGHT YOU WERE INTERESTED IN PHARMACODYNAMICS OF "CANNABIS" I HOPE THIS HELPS. IF NOT PLEASE FEEL FREE TO REACH OUT

Some of the Parts: Is Marijuana’s “Entourage Effect” Scientifically Valid?

Anyone wanna get their mind blown? Puff your favorite and check this out...

🛸👽👽
WOW!! THANKS FOR SHARING.....I WILL BE SURE TO PASS IT ON TO MY CREW.....MET DR. GREER A FEW TIMES IN THE PAST....ONE AMAZING DUDE. LOVE THIS SHIT!!

Back
Top Bottom