Rabbit's Big Leap - High Brix With Doc's Kit

The Big 3 update

Starting with the next brix girl to go into tent, Hash Bomb #2 clone is ready as soon as I clear space for her. Canopy is even, full, and above screen. 18" x 24", much smaller that HB10 but a much more manageable size. She got a Growth Energy drench with Tea. GE is one of the two main nute solutions used in the kit. Tea replenishes the soil biota. Nute solution soaks into the soil from bottom up to avoid soil compaction that can happen with top watering over time. I also did preventive spray with Neem just in case there's mites hiding.
20161211_104652.jpg

20161211_104703.jpg

Not quite ready but close, Critical clone just needs to fill in one last corner of screen and grow shoots above screen. I can adjust the branches to fill most of the open corner, but she'll still need a week for top growth above screen. She got her GE drench also today.
20161211_105538.jpg

20161211_105544.jpg

And HB10 after 1 week in tent. I've removed over a dozen shoots, need to remove at least a dozen more to make room for remaining shoots. I counted 20 shoots stretching above rest of canopy, many smaller shoots at top of canopy just need me to finish thinning to get them light they need to take off. Almost ready for her next drench. No sign of budding yet.
20161211_104756.jpg

Rest of the plants are in limbo in smaller pots. I need my current scrog grow a little closer to harvest before I put remaining brix plants into 6 gal. If I potted them up now they'd get too large to fit in tent by the time I had room.

Overall I really like working with this system. It's not problem free but the plants are so much healthier than my prior grows that little things don't become urgent like before. I'm already seeing great improvements in my scrog grow. I can't wait to see flowers developing on these ones.
:Namaste:

Potting Up Medical Mass

Simple project for tonight. A few recent events have made getting more CBD in production a priority. Seems my CBD strains have suffered a disproportionate amount of my mishaps. One strain failed completely. One was a disappointment in yield, and then I ruined the batch of oil I was making with it. Last night when I was cooking down the oil from my Hash Bombs I heard a loud pop followed by the sizzle of stuff cooking in the olive oil bath. One large bubble splattered over half the batch all over the kitchen counter. What little remains is mostly olive oil that bubbled over the edge of the cup in the bath.

So tonight Medical Mass, my 1:1 indica strain got bumped up to the fourth spot in tent, which means there's space for her as soon as she's ready.

Out of her 1 gal pot. I've trained her with 4 main branches and topped each last night. She still has 4 smaller branches that I may leave to grow up through center while I spread the others out.
20161212_183717.jpg

Root ball is solid but she's not root bound. All of the roots on sides are growing down, no circling, and roots on bottom are sticking out like they can't wait to keep growing deeper. Per kit instruction I dusted root ball and planting hole with Roots powder.
20161212_183640.jpg

The "pot" was filled with 5 x 1gal containers full of soil. I added 2 more 1 gal pots of soil around root ball and top dressed with 1/2 pot of earthworm castings. Including the soil from her 1 gal pot there are 8 1/2 pots full of soil. 1 gal pots are actually only about 3 quarts, so she's in 6 actual gallons of soil plus worm castings.
Final step, a Transplant drench with Tea. Transplant is the other main nute besides Growth Energy that I used on HB2 and Critical yesterday. In general these are alternated with each watering, although there are times that one or the other is called for regardless of last one used.
20161212_185348.jpg

She's soaked drained and ready to explode with new growth. She already looks bigger than a 1 gal plant in her new home. Tomorrow night I'll fit her with a screen to start horizontal training. Shouldn't be long before she fills her new pot and is ready to flower.

Inside the Tent

A few problems to deal with, not exactly unexpected. First is temperature. Tent has been dropping to 57 degrees at night, gradually rising to 78 when lights are on. That's even colder than rest of basement which has stayed at or above 62 degrees. Must be a draft from outside, so no avoiding it any longer. I need to build a more substantial grow area with heat. I'll also need to run another electrical circuit for the heater because lights have my 20 amp circuit maxed out when they're all on. I got a small space heater for now. Small enough that even if thermostat fails it can't overheat tent. I have it on timer so it can only run when lights are off. Last night temp dropped to 61 but was 72 this morning. I will adjust the timer so it comes on earlier and keeps temps above 65. Warmer temp this morning helped temp climb to 83 this evening, RH 33%. Good enough for now, but I need to build more stable environment before hard freezes come.

HB10 doesn't seem to mind the cold. Mites are another matter. According to Doc high brix plants aren't supposed to get pests, but on his Q&A page this week there are suddenly a lot of posts about mites, even from Doc. These mites no doubt came from HB4 with her curly leafy colas perfect for hiding in. Now that HB4 is gone mites should be gone soon. (wishful thinking perhaps, but I doubt they'll be the serious problem they were on last grow.)
Good news tonight, hard to tell in the last photo but she's starting to put out pistils as she's starting to stretch. Goal this weekend will be to spread her branches out again and bring taller outside shoots level with inside shoots.
20161214_193114.jpg

20161214_193312.jpg
20161214_193329.jpg

Your work always pays off. That web of mites is pretty nasty though. I just read that autos contain more cbd than photos, is that true? Keep up the positive vibes!;)

I haven't heard that but seems plausible. The ruderalis subspecies may contain more CBD than pure indicas and sativas. Once you cross them however it really comes down to what the breeder wants to develop. Could be that autos tend to have more CBD but I think it still comes down to the individual strain. Both of the 1:1 strains I'm growing have 10% CBD. I haven't seen autos in that range, but then I haven't looked in a while. Interesting idea though, worth checking out further.

I haven't heard that but seems plausible. The ruderalis subspecies may contain more CBD than pure indicas and sativas. Once you cross them however it really comes down to what the breeder wants to develop. Could be that autos tend to have more CBD but I think it still comes down to the individual strain. Both of the 1:1 strains I'm growing have 10% CBD. I haven't seen autos in that range, but then I haven't looked in a while. Interesting idea though, worth checking out further.

You're right it is the Ruderalis component...;)

Veg Room update

Up potted the 4 remaining plants in veg. The seedlings have clearly outgrown 1 gal pots and went into 2 gal smart pots. BCS was ready to graduate from 2 gal to 6 gal.

K-Train shows the most nitrogen deficiency, but is already recovering a little after last drench and 2 Destress foliar sprays this week. She is most vigorous grower and will probably need additional feedings. Right now I'm trying to slow her down because it will be 5 weeks before there's a spot in the tent. Her root ball is solid but not root bound. No roots circling, just lots and lots of branching.
20161217_152347.jpg

20161217_152438.jpg

Dance World, the 1:1 sativa that doesn't look like a sativa, and Blue Mystic. Roots not quite as impressive, but still very solid.
20161217_153908.jpg

Black Cherry Soda before
20161217_154628.jpg

and after.
20161217_155549.jpg

And the 5 girls in veg. All those not going in tent are on floor waiting their turn.
20161217_155651.jpg

Inside the Tent - Big 3 Update

2 more plants joined HB10 in the tent today.

HB2 clone, meant to move her last weekend, had some rearranging to do first. Did a little final adjusting to canopy, nicely filled and even to start flowering. Even thought I've decided not to make any more clones of this line, I still want to see how well she produces in this soil.
20161218_173517.jpg

Critical has filled in the open corner. Canopy is a little uneven in height, newly filled corner is just at screen level but should be able to stretch from there. This is another line I've decided to discontinue. It's a good yielder and easy to grow, but it's clear from my other current grow that I could probably find a stronger plant from a new batch of seeds. One clear change from my first grow, clones in both grows are much more fragrant than 1st grow.
20161218_173109.jpg

HB10, 2 weeks in 12/12, showing a little stretch and more white pistils, not enough to call buds yet. In 2 weeks she'll have buds set and be ready for Cationic drench to stimulate resin production. Used at right time it puts plant into reproductive overdrive.
20161218_173523.jpg

I think I understand the pieces of the kit, still trying to fit it all together in my head at once.
Transplant drench prepares plant for reproduction, also serves as 'rescue' drench, I think by stimulating root growth and nutrient transport.
Foliar sprays between drenches also help nute transport and feed roots.
Growth Energy stimulates veg growth.
Tea with each drench replenishes the living organisms in soil that the
Amendment started cooking back in October when I mixed up the soil.
There's also a Recharge amendment that I need to use to restore the mineral balance through the end of flower. I think that comes first, then the Cat drenches, then back to alternating Transplant/GE.
It's really quite simple if I take it piece by piece. The whole is starting to come together. I thought I was an expert gardener, but my understanding of plants has grown exponentially in the last six months and keeps growing. I feel like Dory, "Just keep growing, just keep growing," or something like that. I love that fish! :Namaste:

I think I understand the pieces of the kit, still trying to fit it all together in my head at once.
Transplant drench prepares plant for reproduction, also serves as 'rescue' drench, I think by stimulating root growth and nutrient transport.
Foliar sprays between drenches also help nute transport and feed roots.
Growth Energy stimulates veg growth.
Tea with each drench replenishes the living organisms in soil that the
Amendment started cooking back in October when I mixed up the soil.
There's also a Recharge amendment that I need to use to restore the mineral balance through the end of flower. I think that comes first, then the Cat drenches, then back to alternating Transplant/GE.
It's really quite simple if I take it piece by piece. The whole is starting to come together. I thought I was an expert gardener, but my understanding of plants has grown exponentially in the last six months and keeps growing. I feel like Dory, "Just keep growing, just keep growing," or something like that. I love that fish! :Namaste:

Also don't be scarred to use just some plain water in your rotations. They don't always need GE or Trans :)

Sprinkle some recharge over your soil about a week or so into your flower cycle and you'll be golden!

Also don't be scarred to use just some plain water in your rotations. They don't always need GE or Trans :)

Sprinkle some recharge over your soil about a week or so into your flower cycle and you'll be golden!

Thanks. Trying to do this by the book since it's my first time with kit. Starting to get a feel for certain things and making a few adjustments for different strains. Hash Bombs all seem to need extra Mg so adding epsom salt to top dressing and drench water, apparently need to use even more. Critical is actually too green right now, was considering plain water for her so now I'll actually do that next time.
I'll get the recharge on HB10 tonight. She's due for a drench too, I think Transplant was next, but she's feeding heavily and some early yellowing so I may do GE again with top dressing of worm castings, recharge and epsom salts and extra Destress spray.
Also need to tie down the outside branches to spread her out again.

Hey I missed your journal until now! It's great to see you onboard!

So far it sounds like you have a good instinctive feel for the method. It helps to be familiar with raising houseplants. :cheesygrinsmiley: The thing that's distinctive about DBHBB is the standardized soil. Because we all have the same soil, the drenches and foliars can be exactly tailored to the soil chemistry. And this particular mineral balance is tested and proven, so it just .... works. :slide:

I was concerned about your temps, but it sounds like you're on that. But ... um ... the mites? You're just gonna wing it? :cheesygrinsmiley: You must have a better plan than that. I haven't seen 'em yet in my garden, but they scare the pants off experienced growers. :thedoubletake: Doc has his under control but he has a perfect environment that he's been tweaking for a few years now. I think Icemud? has a three part regimen that destroyed his - might want to check him out if you have some time.

Anyway, welcome aboard - I'll be watching! :Namaste: :bongrip:

[Edit] I found it for you ... :cheesygrinsmiley:

Icemud's LED Grow - The Tangie Pheno Hunt

Hey I missed your journal until now! It's great to see you onboard!

So far it sounds like you have a good instinctive feel for the method. It helps to be familiar with raising houseplants. :cheesygrinsmiley: The thing that's distinctive about DBHBB is the standardized soil. Because we all have the same soil, the drenches and foliars can be exactly tailored to the soil chemistry. And this particular mineral balance is tested and proven, so it just .... works. :slide:

I was concerned about your temps, but it sounds like you're on that. But ... um ... the mites? You're just gonna wing it? :cheesygrinsmiley: You must have a better plan than that. I haven't seen 'em yet in my garden, but they scare the pants off experienced growers. :thedoubletake: Doc has his under control but he has a perfect environment that he's been tweaking for a few years now. I think Icemud? has a three part regimen that destroyed his - might want to check him out if you have some time.

Anyway, welcome aboard - I'll be watching! :Namaste: :bongrip:

[Edit] I found it for you ... :cheesygrinsmiley:

Icemud's LED Grow - The Tangie Pheno Hunt

Hi Graytail. Welcome and thank you for stopping by. And thanks for summing up why I chose Doc's kit. It sounds so obvious the way you say it.

Temps are still a slight problem but better. Minimum night temps are 62 before heater turns on. I'm adjusting timer gradually so it will come on sooner and get night temps closer to 70. It's only a temporary fix until I can do some bigger environmental upgrades. Temps are starting to affect my plants in veg so that is my priority now.

As far as mites go I am not winging it. Neem has become my 3rd weekly foliar spray. I also harvested the plant in my other grow that I'm sure was harboring them. No sign since them. I'll keep checking and spraying anyway. If I don't seem scared by them it's because I know they are there and I stay on top of them as soon as they show signs. Also, these plants are so much stronger than last grow that they aren't as affected.

Happy growing.

HB10 update

Hadn't realized how long it's been since last photos posted here. I accidently posted my Christmas update on my other thread. That was over 10 days ago. The other reason is not so easy to talk about. These are the photos from the last update.
20161222_164520.jpg

20161222_164500.jpg

20161222_164354.jpg

And this is her today. Not nearly as bad as I feared she would be, but out of contention for Miss February. What happened was this. Shortly after I responded to Graytail's post about mites I checked the tent and found her completely collapsed, and yes, there were mites. She was also due for watering (actually a little overdue) and the combination looked like it was fatal. I took emergency action - water, misting, neem spray. Then I closed the tent as lights went out and hoped for the best. Next morning she was alive but still looked hopeless. It was a crushing blow to my confidence and spirit. That seems like overkill even to me, but I was so emotionally invested in her success for many reasons. Plus this came just hours after I posted that I was on top of the mite problem. That part was just embarrassing, but it magnified the pain I was feeling. So I've been grieving not just the loss of a plant but probably some emotions I still haven't dealt with since I was first diagnosed with cancer and then discovery of metastasis.
20170104_131304.jpg

The photo above and this detail shot give me some relief. She won't be a contender, but she's recovering enough to finish the grow and produce something. Also, detail shows that the mite attack wasn't nearly bad enough to cause the damage I found. The foliage that's left shows little sign of mites. It may be odd that placing the blame directly on myself for not watering reassures me. Way I see it is that I can learn to deal with my absentmindedness and fatigue and other things that contribute to watering too late, but I can't as easily control a force of nature like mites. I need to stay vigilant, but it seems I do actually have them under control.
20170104_131320.jpg

So today she finally got her Cationic drench that stimulates bud production, and all plants got the Brix foliar. I also move a 2nd LED fixture over her. The worst is over. I nearly gave up on her for the 2nd time in her life, but I've recommitted myself to getting her to the finish line in the best shape I can.

Back
Top Bottom