Relaxed Lester's Garden Photos

Beautiful, RL, beautiful. Particularly love that first rose in your sequence - is it an old, traditional one? It's a fabulous colour. I see that I'm not the only one with a few yellow leaves! Although a couple of my roses are REALLY yellowing with a bit of black spot too. I think it might be Magnesium deficiency in parts of our garden where there's a lot of builder's rubble in the soil so I'm going to try Epsom Salts. I want to Grow Green not Yield Yellow. When I planted them I promised Mrs Teddy a rose a day with her morning coffee, and lately she's been a little disappointed with my service :cheesygrinsmiley:

Thanks as always for your post. :thanks:

Lots of beautiful food to high for him to reach.
Did you scatter rose petals for him?

He likes to clean them up when they fall off, but occasionally I like to scatter them out. Sometimes I scatter them like a cookie crumb trail and he follows it :surf: He is a well fed tortoise so I'm not concerned about stuff he can't reach ;)

Beautiful, RL, beautiful. Particularly love that first rose in your sequence - is it an old, traditional one? It's a fabulous colour. I see that I'm not the only one with a few yellow leaves! Although a couple of my roses are REALLY yellowing with a bit of black spot too. I think it might be Magnesium deficiency in parts of our garden where there's a lot of builder's rubble in the soil so I'm going to try Epsom Salts. I want to Grow Green not Yield Yellow. When I planted them I promised Mrs Teddy a rose a day with her morning coffee, and lately she's been a little disappointed with my service :cheesygrinsmiley:

Thanks as always for your post. :thanks:

Sorry I did not get to this until now! The Roses in that first sequence (post #368) are the Mister Lincoln. All of our Rose plants are grafted so we get different varieties out of each one. It's quite neat! The Mister Lincoln has an extremely high fragrance level, it smells exactly like perfume. Very very fragrant, smells a bit like fruity orange zest. Theres all kind of small issues with our roses, whether it be the bugs or the metabolic issues. It's tough to get them enough water, we let the sprinklers soak them for hours at a time. They could probably use another soaking. I try to squeeze a harvest out of them every so often. If you look in the first page of the journal you can see a brilliant bloom of the pink one. It's hard to get them to their peak, but when they do it's amazing.

Here are some more pics of the same, but newer blooms. They could look better but it's all I could scrounge up for now. It's nice to have some fruit on the plants. We've been harvesting tons of strawberries, decent amount of tomatos, and some jalapenos and green belle peppers. Mostly we produce strawberries and they are amazing! :)

IMG_25389.JPG
IMG_253911.JPG
IMG_254010.JPG
IMG_254113.JPG
IMG_254210.JPG
IMG_254411.JPG
IMG_254511.JPG
IMG_254712.JPG
IMG_254810.JPG
IMG_25498.JPG
IMG_255011.JPG
IMG_255110.JPG
IMG_25528.JPG
IMG_25536.JPG
IMG_25546.JPG
IMG_25557.JPG
IMG_25566.JPG

By the way you can see one of the grafted plants in there, looks like it squeezed out a nice little set of blooms :Namaste: Maybe I should put some more care into the Roses, ahhh.. it's hard to keep up with everything, medicinal, food, and ornamental... :Namaste:

Beautiful gardens Lester. Roses are so pretty and smell great, nice job. veggies are looking good to. What kind of tomato is the dark colored one or at least it looks like that's where it's going? I have a Cherokee Purple and a Black Krim tomato that when turning they look like that. Happy day Lester

I was just closing down for the night and this new post popped up. What a lovely way to end the day. Thanks, RL. zzzzzzzz

Haha You are welcome, I am glad you enjoyed it! :)

I had a Mr. Lincoln Rise standard that I planted outside the front porch of my first house.

It was an award winning rose in the 1970s or early 80s.
Velvety, rich texture with an award winning fragrance.
Never had a problem worse than aphids that I hosed off. :)

Pretty much! :)

Beautiful gardens Lester. Roses are so pretty and smell great, nice job. veggies are looking good to. What kind of tomato is the dark colored one or at least it looks like that's where it's going? I have a Cherokee Purple and a Black Krim tomato that when turning they look like that. Happy day Lester

Yeah it's nice to get a few blooms in here and there, sometimes we get 'em good, others time not so much, I need to fertilize more often and water better. I had a big problem with fungus gnats in the soil of my tomatos and jalapenos, I used SNS-203 from my prize packages here at 420 and I'm surprised how well it worked, now that I got more, I am saving it for my cannabis only, really top of the line products.

About the tomatos, if your talking about the cherry tomatos than that is the "Black Pearl", never really gets that purple or dark ever, was kind of a let down. I might try one of the darker variety sometimes, but if you mean the other one then it was probably the heirloom one, I'm not sure the actual strain, it was part of those Rainbow Heirloom variety packs they sell garden centers lol. They do produce some of the tastiest tomatos Ive ever had, although its hard to get pollination on these heirlooms, I have not had good yield with them. But for the hybrids we have been getting pretty decent yields and the tomatos taste great. The peppers, seranno and jalapeno just don't seem spicy enough for my taste. Must be the ocean climate not being dry and hot enough. That's all I can think of. The strawberries are the real winner here, when we first planted them they shot out these runner tap roots that made entire new plants everywhere, this is the 3rd generation of strawberries, I watered and fertilized them during the winter. I have to pick them everyday, a dozen a day ripen quick, there is a lot that go to waste from the squirrels, rot, and worms. We got two varieties of strawberries, one of them is the sequoia which produce very well structured, high yields, and great taste. The other one is more heirloom type, the kind you would more likely find in nature, less well structured and lower yields, but the taste is WOW. It's the type of thing you make jam with, and in fact we do when they bloom right.

The garden is in good shape, but slowly I am going to fine tune it :cheer:

Absolutely lovely... I have a huge Knock out rose bush in yellow and just planted 2 trailing roses in red this year and one of the new ones just put out 1 rose. It was only 1 but it was beautiful......:circle-of-love:

Sorry I just got to this until now! I have been putting my cannabis threads before my regular garden ones (Whats new? Lol)

I would love to see your rose bushes and flowers, feel free to post them here if you ever feel like it! :)

Check out these random flowers I found in my garden today! They touch the soul, don't they?? :circle-of-love:

IMG_26009.JPG
IMG_260111.JPG

That is absolutely gorgeous Lester. Mother Nature doesn't make mistakes when it comes to beauty. :circle-of-love:

Lester, have you found a name for those awesome random flowers yet? I have been all over google and haven't even seen a picture of one similar, with those raised things on the petals.
I'm sure it's a lily of some sort, but there are so many different varieties that it's like a needle in a haystack search. LOL

Spimp!, thank you so much. I'm on the hunt for some to add to my garden.

:thanks:

Edit: A little medicinal factoid on this lily.

"Relieves congestion and the nausea and vomiting of pregnancy"
Woo Hoo! Neat info! I always love medicinal factoids :hookah:

:high-five:

Took this picture on our hiking trail today. I'm 99% sure it is the western fence lizard (Sceloporus occidentalis), the genus of spiny lizards. He wasn't scared of us at all, he might have been scared of those rattle snakes though!
IMG_20140711_082303.jpg

What rattlesnakes where they at? I don't like snakes. Cool looking lizard though:thumb:

Rattlesnakes? RATTLESNAKES? Wow, to an Englishman that just sounds so fantastically Wild-Western. :cheesygrinsmiley: Love it.

I keep finding shed snakeskin on our stone walls here. If I keep enough of it maybe I can make what I always wanted - a pair of boots. :laughtwo:

PS Absolutely magnificent lily. :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom