Rifleman's Roost Open 24/7: Perpetually Perplexed

Did you make your COB's? I use T8's and LED's but I really want to make my own light bar. I just don't understand how to do it. After my mini stroke I don't see things the same way.

Check out Growmau5 on on the utubes, lady vadalon. He gives pretty detailed steps on how to diy leds. I have 0 electrical knowledge but he has me thinking maybe i could give it a shot.

I did not build mine, but after seeing them I can say it's a pretty simple build. If you can solder already, you've got it beat. A giant COB chip, glued to a heat sink with thermal paste, and wires soldered to a driver...done. Check out the videos that Laz recommended, and do a little research. If you live near a medium size city you'll probably have an electrical parts specialty retail store/warehouse, and can source parts much cheaper than buying assembled. :)

Thank you. Sorry, I'm still trying to figure out how this app works. I just went from years of using a blackberry to an iPhone. I really want to see how your COB's preform. Your growth rate with hydro is so very cool. I thought that the PH was lower than soil? My soil I try to keep it 6.–6.8. I was just wondering because I'm thinking about trying coco. Thank you once more

Thank you. Sorry, I'm still trying to figure out how this app works. I just went from years of using a blackberry to an iPhone. I really want to see how your COB's preform. Your growth rate with hydro is so very cool. I thought that the PH was lower than soil? My soil I try to keep it 6.–6.8. I was just wondering because I'm thinking about trying coco. Thank you once more

Just stopping by .

Thanks for dropping in Lady V. :) The COBs are outperforming my expectations. :yahoo: The alleged optimum pH in hydro is 5.8 but I'm using buffered and chelated nutrients and do not bother adjusting pH. If you can get used to the white noise of the buckets, dwc is the way to get huge growth. ;)

They are looking awesome Rifle. Sorry about stubborn number four.
Cheers.

It happens sometimes DW, not usually to me but it happens. :rofl: Just means that I'll be squeezing in one more round this season. ;)

Not to sound like a bumpkin but why is hydro ph lower than soil?

Ain't no bumpkins here Lady V, and all questions are welcome. Getting an answer might be a problem though. :) I do not know why pH is supposed to be lower in dwc. I assume it has something to do with nutrients being applied directly to the roots via H2O, as opposed to leaching from the soil. It's best in dwc to have a drift between 5.6 and 6.2 for complete nutrient uptake. But all that goes out the window with a product like Advanced Nutrients pH Perfect. :scratchinghead:

Ain't no bumpkins here Lady V, and all questions are welcome. Getting an answer might be a problem though. :) I do not know why pH is supposed to be lower in dwc. I assume it has something to do with nutrients being applied directly to the roots via H2O, as opposed to leaching from the soil. It's best in dwc to have a drift between 5.6 and 6.2 for complete nutrient uptake. But all that goes out the window with a product like Advanced Nutrients pH Perfect. :scratchinghead:

That’s a good answer.

It happens sometimes DW, not usually to me but it happens. :rofl: Just means that I'll be squeezing in one more round this season. ;)

So, it all just goes back to the horrible " because I said so" statement we all heard as kids. I was just wondering. :thanks:

That's a good answer.

It's the only one I could come up with. :rofl:

So, it all just goes back to the horrible " because I said so" statement we all heard as kids. I was just wondering. :thanks:

Nope, not because *I* said so. Because **they** said so, whoever They is. :laughtwo: I've got several books on growing Lady, but none of them go any farther in depth than..."that's the way it is". <shrug> One day I'll run across a well written, informative book covering all the where to's, why for's, and other dark mysteries of DWC. It'll probably be written in Dutch. :nomo:

Not to sound like a bumpkin but why is hydro ph lower than soil?

I would think it has to do with the actual uptake method and all the microbial life that exists in soil. In a neutral medium, you just going straight nute to root. In soil the dance is modified greatly by all the biology happening in the dirt.

I know that really doesn't wrap specific science around it. I see the results in play so tend not to invite the headache of actually understanding it. I have seen a good bit of writing out there on the subject. There are apparently even still some mysteries in the entire process.
Another aspect I've witnessed but never understood... folks trying to mix the mediums and methods seem to always fail. Of course, someone will chime in here to point to a working model, but I sure have seen many try and fail and can't think of a working example.

I guess it is like math. It is what it is .

No you didn't mention the dreaded M word. :thedoubletake: Hated it, and truth told other than a little geometry, I had all the math I'd ever need by 6th grade. Blue collar, redneck, white trash. :rofl:

I would love to go to school for horticulture/soil biology

I would think it has to do with the actual uptake method and all the microbial life that exists in soil. In a neutral medium, you just going straight nute to root. In soil the dance is modified greatly by all the biology happening in the dirt.
I know that really doesn't wrap specific science around it. I see the results in play so tend not to invite the headache of actually understanding it. I have seen a good bit of writing out there on the subject. There are apparently even still some mysteries in the entire process.
Another aspect I've witnessed but never understood... folks trying to mix the mediums and methods seem to always fail. Of course, someone will chime in here to point to a working model, but I sure have seen many try and fail and can't think of a working example.

I'm with Tead on this one. While it'd be cool to have the knowledge, I'd much prefer to have successful grows and be ignorant of why than go through the trouble of grasping it. I am a Lazy Unemployable Pothead after all. ;)

Today is Day 50 for the MBAP. I am going to call the attempt to reverse one and produce fem seeds a bust. I sprayed the first one to show sex. It also turned out to be the one that stretched the longest, tallest, and seems to be almost a week behind her sisters. AND....there still aren't any balls showing. No time left to produce viable pollen and seeds before harvest unless these are going to run past the 100 day mark. Ugh, I hope not.

Since I haven't dropped any photos of them lately, today is the day. :) Looking in the tent they are 1-4 left to right. I think a fisheye lens might be helpful. :laugh:

Don't forget, photos are linked to larger versions. :peace:

Back
Top Bottom