Runtz X Afghani And A Little Bokashi Soil

Update on the Bokashi soil 6/4/23. Yesterday I put the bran together so at this point I have about 4 or 5 more weeks before I put everything in the same place.
Today I got the forest floor out of the basement and set it outside under the tree to get some sun/shade. I'm not trying to get it overly hot, I'm just trying to kill off insects so I'll be turning them over every day.. I don't know if it matters it's just something I do.
And please remember...
If you're going to get forest floor PLEASE get it from private property.
Don't become an example for DCNR, Fish and Game or any other law enforcement, of what not to do.

IMG_20230604_100011.jpg

Update 6/11/23: Just like that we come to the end of week 2 above the surface for this little RXA and she's still green. She seems to be holding up good and going strong, other than that there's not much to say about her. I have around 3 more weeks before I get to put it in the tent, so until then all we can do is...
Let's see what another week brings 💚

IMG_20230611_053142.jpg

I completely forgot to give the update on this.
A couple days ago I put a few pieces of hey in my soil tote. This weekend when I put the Bokashi pre-compost together I'm going to need a little Mycelium to top off the bucket.
You really don't need much of it, once you put it in nature will know what to do from there.
See you all this weekend.

IMG_20230615_180052.jpg

Bokashi soil update 6/16/23
This morning my wife reminded me that I have a fairly busy day tomorrow, so I had to get the pre-compost started today.
I opened my bucket up to get the bran out to check it and the smell of pickles hit me in the face... so yep it's ready to go.
If you open it and see what appears to be white mold don't worry about it, you're good to go.
But if you see mold with color "STOP" don't use it... Time to start over.
At this point you can dry out the bran and store it for later use but I only made a pound so I'm using it all.
Here we go..

IMG_20230616_075116.jpg

Once you have everything the way you want it, it's back to the bucket. Make sure you put a rag or something in the bottom of the bucket or your going to have a big problem to deal with.
Once I have it full and packed in somewhat tight but not packed overly tight, I put a couple pieces of mycelium on top, this really isn't necessary it's just something I do.
Then just cover it with plastic bags and put the lid on the bucket.
Time to put it in a warm spot and let it sit for 2 weeks.
Tomorrow morning I'll start draining the catch bucket and see what it gives back for plant food.

IMG_20230616_090319.jpg

IMG_20230616_093039.jpg

IMG_20230616_093306.jpg

IMG_20230616_093314.jpg

IMG_20230616_093655.jpg

This morning I drained the catch bucket for the first time and it's starting to give back.
I collect the liquid from the bucket and use it for plant food...
I just keep putting it in plastic containers and freeze it until I get everything I can from the pre-compost, but I'll get into this later.
Word of warning on this...
If you are going to be using this stuff for your garden, be careful with it. This stuff is acidic as all get out and it takes some getting used to. I keep saying I'm going to find something easier to use but I never get around to looking for a different solution. I really want to be making everything I can basically because I just like to make stuff and I'm cheep like that.

IMG_20230617_062654.jpg

IMG_20230617_062852.jpg

I don't have a worm bed yet, but it's in the works. I've only been organic for about a year now so I still have a lot of things I need to do.
I found the worm bin to be super helpful and now I'm improving my inputs to it. I did try the bokashi thing but then I still had to bury the output in my worm bin before using it so I decided to skip that whole middle step. The worms absolutely love that stuff, though.

Update 6/18/23: Today is the end of week 3 above the surface for this little RXA and she's still green. Up to this point she's been on a water only diet but that's about to change the next time I water.
All in all everything seems to be going good with her, no sign of want or need.
Let's see what another week brings 💚

IMG_20230618_044949.jpg

Update 6/19/23: I thought I would be able to make it until tomorrow before I had to feed this girl but she needs a drink.
This will be the first feed for this little RXA, so here's what I have going on.
When I make my pre-compost I collect and freeze the liquid that I get from the catch bucket, this stuff will not keep in the fridge believe me I found that out the hard way. After it drains all it can, I thaw it out and give it a mix then refreeze it in icecube trays. I make my ice ranging from 1 tsp to 1.5 tbsp per cube.
When I start using it I start with 1 tsp per gallon and it won't be long to find out if she likes it. I'll have to change things as I go but this is where I start.
Let's see what the rest of the week brings 💚

IMG_20230619_073820.jpg

This is the results of 1 tsp per gallon of water. I never really tested just the water though so I can't honestly say how much it changes but, you're right this stuff is acidic. I keep saying I'm going to find something easier to use but I just keep going with this stuff. My organic knowledge is pretty limited at this point but I'm here to learn.
I'm always open to suggestions but I really want to be making what I use... I just like to make stuff I guess.

IMG_20230619_082105.jpg

This is the results of 1 tsp per gallon of water. I never really tested just the water though so I can't honestly say how much it changes but, you're right this stuff is acidic. I keep saying I'm going to find something easier to use but I just keep going with this stuff. My organic knowledge is pretty limited at this point but I'm here to learn.
I'm always open to suggestions but I really want to be making what I use... I just like to make stuff I guess.
That's not too bad.

If you like to make stuff, pick up a copy of the book "Jadam Organic Farming" by Youngsang Cho, or have a look at my 'Alchemy' thread. In it I experiment with both KNF (Korean Natural Farming) and Jadam extracts.

The KNF ones are done with brown sugar and make for an acidic output like the LABs and Bokashi, whereas the Jadam mellows to a pretty neutral pH over time.

Super simple stuff to make but, like with your Bokashi, just takes some time to process so you have to think ahead.

@Danishoes21 has a good thread going Here where he does a lot of this stuff too for his outdoor grows.

I forgot what the amount was I used when I made fpj, but it was like in the ml/gallon ratio. Maybe 5 ml? Have you tried foliar with this?
The standard recommendation for using the KNF extracts like your FPJ is 1:1,000 but I usually go a bit stronger at 1:750ish.

I think the limitation is based on the acidity of the mix, and is one of the reasons I've migrated over to mostly the Jadam water extracts which produce a mostly neutral end product.

The standard recommendation for using the KNF extracts like your FPJ is 1:1,000 but I usually go a bit stronger at 1:750ish.

I think the limitation is based on the acidity of the mix, and is one of the reasons I've migrated over to mostly the Jadam water extracts which produce a mostly neutral end product.
I just started reading your plant alchemy with KNF journal, very interesting indeed. I think this is something I can wrap my head around.

:nicethread:
Hi Bud! Nice thread, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom