Runtz X Afghani And A Little Bokashi Soil

Do you add worms to your bokashi soil, because they go crazy over it and leave their famed unicorn poop in their wake.

And, that slight tip burn on your leaves just means they are getting everything they need and slightly more, which is a good thing.

Do you add worms to your bokashi soil, because they go crazy over it and leave their famed unicorn poop in their wake.

And, that slight tip burn on your leaves just means they are getting everything they need and slightly more, which is a good thing.
Yes I will be putting worms in the soil when it's ready, but if I put them in now they die off really fast for some reason.
I found that if I wait for everything to break down the worms seem to do ok.
I'm glad to know that the burn is normal, I've been trying to keep it from happening but that's not turning out so good.

Love your journal.

And for reference I seldomly get burned tips and when it happens it’s after a foliar. My recent tips happened after non diluted Willow tea foliar. It could be a little too hot.
I've been getting this burn since I started using this soil. The plants grow really good with it though.
I thought maybe from the pre-compost liquid that I use for plant food or my water.
I don't know much about organic growing, but if I don't try I'll never know.

I've been getting this burn since I started using this soil. The plants grow really good with it though.
I thought maybe from the pre-compost liquid that I use for plant food or my water.
I don't know much about organic growing, but if I don't try I'll never know.

I would be more inclined to check the ph of water source and mineral content.

If it’s rain water you using, the I would move to checking my inputs on the soil mix.

I was a little worried about me using this years fresh goat manure but seems to be passing ok.
I find that too much comfrey and nettle in my tea make them burn the tips when I use it for foliar. But when use for root watering it doesn’t burn at all.

:passitleft:

Here's one of my main issues with this soil.
I don't know if it's a natural salt build up, or coming from the pre-compost extract, my tap water that I let set out for a couple of days by the way. I just can't seem to nail it down.
This appears to be nute burn but I don't use anything other than the Bokashi extract. Every time I grow a plant in this soil I get it and I don't know why or how it's happening. Although it doesn't get any worse, it doesn't get any better either.

IMG_20230702_105451.jpg
Those are normal tips. Its hot, but the plant is taking it fine. Mine do it all the time.

Was gonna say the same with the tips.

I did notice this in your last post but it's only slight & could be a number of things.. does it continues even as she matures?
what ppm is your tap water?
Obviously I don't know much about this stuff but when you compost do you have a specific recipe so you have the correct balance?
I've never really checked the water for ppm but I use tap water so it might have something to do with it, and it won't get any worse than it is now usually 🙏.
As far as a certain recipe, I just go to the market and get whatever fruits and vegetables they have that grow well on their own, and depending on the time of year that changes that's why I like to make it in the fall. I really like to use pumpkin but they're hard to find this time of year.

I was going to put this up the other day but I completely forgot about it.
I got my plant pills all frozen and ready to be put to work.
I usually only make these in 1, 2, and 3.5 tsp, but this time I started at 1 and stepped up by .5 and went to 3tsp. So depending on where I am at the time I will have what I need. But like I said earlier, every time I make it, it changes so I have to get used to it all over again, but that just could be me not being sure of myself yet.

Edit
I forgot to mention...
You will know when the pre-compost is ready to use when the extract smells like pickles.
I think it smells like a sour beer with a dill pickle in it.
Everybody's sniffer is different I guess, but you will definitely smell pickles.

IMG_20230703_064016.jpg

Mid week update 7/6/23: Today I gave this little girl something to eat for the first time since I put her in a new boot 1tsp per gallon. She seems to be finding her footing so hopefully things will take off now.
I keep threatening to get away from cloth bags and get plastic but I never get around to it.
Other than that everything seems to be going fairly well so on I go.
Probably another week or so and I'll take her to the tent.
Let's see what the rest of the week brings 💚

IMG_20230706_192221.jpg

Update 7/9/23: Today is the end of week 6 above the surface for this little RXA and she's still green.
I think its going to be ok but she sure is sluggish and temperamental. I decided to go ahead and move her to the tent so she's not so lonely.
I wrapped all my cloth bags with plastic wrap so hopefully my soil won't get so dry around the outside.. I keep saying I'm going to go to plastic pots but I never get around to it.
All in all everything seems to be going fairly well so on I go.
Let's see what the week brings 💚

IMG_20230709_050204.jpg

Do it! :laughtwo:

And, when you do, you might as well build them as SIPs.

:cheesygrinsmiley:
I was just thinking about this same thing. I'm sure I can come up with everything I need to do it.
Maybe for the next run I'll come up with something.
I know that the pots I use aren't really ideal for growing organic, and at only 3 gallon they're way to small but I just keep using them anyway.
I'm definitely going to look into the SIP and see what's up with it, thank you 💚

I have a very small space and Flower in 2 gallon buckets. Super easy to build, and the plants go crazy in these things. You become a better grower simply by switching to these pots.

On page two of the SIP thread I have a design post where I describe how to build them.

I'll bet your bokashi soil would do great in these things.

Ok now that I know I'm setting on a tent full of ladies I removed all the big fans from the mains.
I'm just a hobby grower and I don't let my garden get real big, so I'm going to give them a week to veg yet and I'm throwing the 12/12 switch.. I know most will say not yet but everyone has their own thing I guess.
Anyway all I do from here is every other feeding I add unsulfured blackstrap molasses to the mix. The back 2 and front right are 9lb Biscotts, front left is the RXA..
Just about time to make some flowers 💚

IMG_20230709_114507.jpg

This really isn't an update, more like a just put it out there kinda thing.
I'm always thinking about my next grow ahead of time so here's my plan.
I went and got two 12gal totes from the DG, I'm not sure if I'm going to make a wicking pot or a SIP out of them yet. But either way it's going to be 1 plant under 2 nets, and it's going to be a long veg maybe 12/14 weeks.
I made the first stage net out of an old 26 inch bike rim, and the square net I made a while ago.
I'm not sure what strain yet but I'll figure it out later, I have time.
Let's see what I can come up with 💚

IMG_20230710_101731.jpg

7/11/23 Early week check in: Seeing that I can't put any moisture to the plants today, I decided to go ahead and get the net in. As soon as I can I'm going to push 3tsp icecube and 1tbsp unsulfured blackstrap molasses per gallon and get ready to flip the switch.
Other than that it's just another day.
Back 2 and front left are 9lb Biscotts, front right is Runtz X Afghani.

IMG_20230711_104412.jpg

Bokashi soil update 6/30/23: Today I'm 2 weeks deep into the pre-compost and it's time to move on.
I took everything to the basement and opened the bucket to see a nice bloom getting the job done already.
Next I put a layer, probably around a half a 5 gal bucket of ff on the bottom of the tote, then dumped the pre-compost on it and mixed it up so everything had a good mix.
Then I just layered everything in starting with and ending with forest floor, this now has to set for a minimum of 4 weeks.
This is the 3rd time I've made this and I'm yet to have it ready in 4 weeks, we'll see this in no less than 6 weeks.
I reuse my soil but for this run I started at the beginning to share what I've learned so far in my organic life.
I like to say that this is homemade Bokashi soil but,, I really didn't make anything did I.
All I did was put a bunch of nature in the same place at the same time.

And just in case I forget to mention.
Going out on a mountain you don't own or have permission from the owner to be on, and taking forest floor is illegal.
So there you have it, in the time it takes to do a grow you can have your soil ready.
We'll see what happens in 6 weeks 💚

IMG_20230630_105834.jpg

IMG_20230630_110314.jpg

IMG_20230630_110348.jpg

IMG_20230630_110820.jpg
looked like beefstew

Update 7/9/23: Today is the end of week 6 above the surface for this little RXA and she's still green.
I think its going to be ok but she sure is sluggish and temperamental. I decided to go ahead and move her to the tent so she's not so lonely.
I wrapped all my cloth bags with plastic wrap so hopefully my soil won't get so dry around the outside.. I keep saying I'm going to go to plastic pots but I never get around to it.
All in all everything seems to be going fairly well so on I go.

IMG_20230709_050204.jpg
You know that when you wrap your cloth pots with plastic that it’s cutting off the roots from getting O2 right? Just a thought 💭. You’re basically turning them into a plastic container. CL🍀

Back
Top Bottom