Sam's 1st Grow - Nirvana JH, NL & AK48 In Coco

re: Sam's 1st Grow - Nirvana JH, NL & AK48 In Coco

Here's a chart showing the sweet spots. It's a vapor pressure deficit chart.
420-magazine-mobile1464031006.jpg

By all means join in. All the advice is welcome. Read about the Z7 but I thought that was more for full on hydro with reservoir systems like DWC/RWDC and Ebb and flow type systems.

Nope can be used in soil or coco .

Not a food.

I use once a week about 2 ml per gal .

Preventing from nightmares happening . Lol

Very glad you chimed in and I am grateful to be able to ask a question or two. I was looking for a medium to ask a few things. Seems like the grow journal is where it's at.

Temps are low. Right around that 70F mark and it doesn't seem to move. Should I make an effort to raise it 5-10 degrees F?

Second question.
RH right now is a challenge. I live in a northern climate and the forced air heat is on. RH in the house is in the 30's. I am running the active humidifier to keep the tent around 55RH. Is this enough?

420-magazine-mobile1479094531.jpg

Hay Sam, looking good.

Real interested in that Jock Horror.

For my first grow this feb I was using my Pellet stove so my RH was real low. 20's low.. I was hanging wet towels in tent to get it to the low 30s... not the optimum RH but they came out fine.

I was more worried in the summer with my clones. The RH got way up in the70's in the house. Glad I had an AC in the flower room.
The 3 plants I had outdoors this summer did not fare so well. We had some real humid days in late summer in Mass. and they got all moldy.

Got it! I love this place.

You won't find a better place for good advice and great friendly growers Sam. Glad you found it and glad to add another grower to our ranks!

Very glad you chimed in and I am grateful to be able to ask a question or two. I was looking for a medium to ask a few things. Seems like the grow journal is where it's at.

Temps are low. Right around that 70F mark and it doesn't seem to move. Should I make an effort to raise it 5-10 degrees F?

Second question.
RH right now is a challenge. I live in a northern climate and the forced air heat is on. RH in the house is in the 30's. I am running the active humidifier to keep the tent around 55RH. Is this enough?

Great questions Sam and I will give you my opinion in regards to the humidity and temp question. I grow in the North East and our humidity disappears around November and doesn't reappear until around the beginning of May. I started my grow in March with RH in the 16-24% range. My veg growth was a little slower than it would have been but it got there.

Environment is a huge part but its relative when compared to the other factors, like energy (light) and proper nutrition for your plant. My point is you can focus on your environment but it will only help so much if your other factors aren't at the premium level. I see you are using a Mars 320. Thats a good light but in a 4x4 alone you aren't going to get max growth or yield under that, just like I won't get it under my two smaller LEDs I am running. So raising your humidity is only going improve so much and its possible you might not see a ton of improvement without improving your light. All those factors are relative to each other and they work in conjunction with each other. You could have perfect temps and humidity but with limited light/energy your plant is only going to give you what the light allows. I could have a top of the line $2,000.00 LED light but until I get my environment at its optimal level (temp, humidity, and CO2), the plant is only going to give you what the environment will allow. And then there is the factor of genetics. I can have perfect light, perfect environmental conditions but if I am using shitty genetics...well the plant is only going to give you what the genetics allow. Same thing with fuel (nutes, soil, etc) relative to the other factors. Improve where you can and understand your limiting factors.

Perhaps in future grows, you can add additional lighting and a good humidifier. Until then, do what you can. I used a bowl of water and a wet towel hanging and it helped a touch Every little helps, but don't fret it brother. Your humidity, even on the low side isn't going to kill you.

I have a pretty good humidifier. I adjusted it and the tent vents and I am in the low-mid 60's now. I think what you are saying in short is there is only so much you can do and don't over think it.........

Curious on your comment on the lights. I am only using about 3x3 of the 4x4 currently. The 320 pulls 700+ watts from the wall in full power mode. I also have 4 workable 1000 watt HID ballasts and 2 150's in the basement that I could have used instead of going with the LED. I just chose it because of temperature fears in an enclosed tent. When I run them over the aquariums they put out some serious heat. I was thinking about switching the Mars unit out and going with one of them if temps needed to come up. I just look at the HPS grows and the plants seem to stretch a bit more under them. I don't want to over grow my tent.

I think once I am done with this first grow I will have a better idea on what to expect. I already have learned a ton dealing with these girls. There is only so much you can read and then you have to jump in and get dirty. :) I am not looking for huge yields on this grow. I currently only use about a ounce a year. I am sure that will go up a bit with availability but I am more about quality and stealth at this point.

Thanks for your input!

I selected coco because of the ease of it. With all of these nutrients available and how/when they are used the ability to just flush everything out quickly and recover made sense to me. After reading Cultivators thread on it and some others it just seemed like a no brainer for my situation. The DWC/RDWC systems look awesome but changing reservoirs out and the plumbing just seemed like more than I wanted to bite off right from the start.
I started out with coco myself and it's been great! You have perfect control and get response from corrections within a couple days.

I have a pretty good humidifier. I adjusted it and the tent vents and I am in the low-mid 60's now. I think what you are saying in short is there is only so much you can do and don't over think it.........

Curious on your comment on the lights. I am only using about 3x3 of the 4x4 currently. The 320 pulls 700+ watts from the wall in full power mode. I also have 4 workable 1000 watt HID ballasts and 2 150's in the basement that I could have used instead of going with the LED. I just chose it because of temperature fears in an enclosed tent. When I run them over the aquariums they put out some serious heat. I was thinking about switching the Mars unit out and going with one of them if temps needed to come up. I just look at the HPS grows and the plants seem to stretch a bit more under them. I don't want to over grow my tent.

I think once I am done with this first grow I will have a better idea on what to expect. I already have learned a ton dealing with these girls. There is only so much you can read and then you have to jump in and get dirty. :) I am not looking for huge yields on this grow. I currently only use about a ounce a year. I am sure that will go up a bit with availability but I am more about quality and stealth at this point.

Thanks for your input!

Temperatures were the main factor for me choosing LEDs over HPS. And based on what you said, your light and your environment are more than enough to meet your demand. You are looking great for your first grow Sam.

Hi Sam just stopped by to check out your grow you are doin great. Keep it simple and don't overthink it. My first grow in coco has been the easiest grow I've done since I started back in 1971. My humidity levels have been right around 35 to 40 % my room temps are 77F to 80F during lights on and 66 to 70 during lights out. I ph my feed water mix to 5.8 or 5.9 and my room is filled with healthy bush plants. I used to stress over watering, humidity and temps now I go with the flow. Best of luck and keep 'em green!

I really try to keep temps under 80f, humidity I don't stress but keep over 50% in veg and under 50% in flower. Especially in late flower low humidity is to your benefit.

I'm a coco brat. My humidity is on lock as well. Never gets above 42-43%. All I really watch for is the top of the coco. If it stays wet looking for more than 18 hours, I've got something going on.

Back
Top Bottom