Sam's 1st Grow - Nirvana JH, NL & AK48 In Coco

re: Sam's 1st Grow - Nirvana JH, NL & AK48 In Coco

great questions sam and i will give you my opinion in regards to the humidity and temp question. I grow in the north east and our humidity disappears around november and doesn't reappear until around the beginning of may. I started my grow in march with rh in the 16-24% range. My veg growth was a little slower than it would have been but it got there.

Environment is a huge part but its relative when compared to the other factors, like energy (light) and proper nutrition for your plant. My point is you can focus on your environment but it will only help so much if your other factors aren't at the premium level. I see you are using a mars 320. Thats a good light but in a 4x4 alone you aren't going to get max growth or yield under that, just like i won't get it under my two smaller leds i am running. So raising your humidity is only going improve so much and its possible you might not see a ton of improvement without improving your light. All those factors are relative to each other and they work in conjunction with each other. You could have perfect temps and humidity but with limited light/energy your plant is only going to give you what the light allows. I could have a top of the line $2,000.00 led light but until i get my environment at its optimal level (temp, humidity, and co2), the plant is only going to give you what the environment will allow. And then there is the factor of genetics. I can have perfect light, perfect environmental conditions but if i am using shitty genetics...well the plant is only going to give you what the genetics allow. Same thing with fuel (nutes, soil, etc) relative to the other factors. Improve where you can and understand your limiting factors.

Perhaps in future grows, you can add additional lighting and a good humidifier. Until then, do what you can. I used a bowl of water and a wet towel hanging and it helped a touch every little helps, but don't fret it brother. Your humidity, even on the low side isn't going to kill you.
great stuff!!!

re: Sam's 1st Grow - Nirvana JH, NL & AK48 In Coco

I have a pretty good humidifier. I adjusted it and the tent vents and I am in the low-mid 60's now. I think what you are saying in short is there is only so much you can do and don't over think it.........

Curious on your comment on the lights. I am only using about 3x3 of the 4x4 currently. The 320 pulls 700+ watts from the wall in full power mode. I also have 4 workable 1000 watt HID ballasts and 2 150's in the basement that I could have used instead of going with the LED. I just chose it because of temperature fears in an enclosed tent. When I run them over the aquariums they put out some serious heat. I was thinking about switching the Mars unit out and going with one of them if temps needed to come up. I just look at the HPS grows and the plants seem to stretch a bit more under them. I don't want to over grow my tent.

I think once I am done with this first grow I will have a better idea on what to expect. I already have learned a ton dealing with these girls. There is only so much you can read and then you have to jump in and get dirty. :) I am not looking for huge yields on this grow. I currently only use about a ounce a year. I am sure that will go up a bit with availability but I am more about quality and stealth at this point.

Thanks for your input!
That's exactly it!!! Get dirty.

Sam's 1rst grow, Nirvana JH, NL and AK48 in Coco

I run a humidifier 24/7 in my tent have a vent running out my tent through ducting and out room . So I get a fresh cool breeze without my humidifier on Rh. Would be around 34% ish. Perfect for late flower . With my humidifier I can set it to half power or full power wait an hr or so then it hits around 62% right now can control it between 60-70% . Depending on where temps range is . Plus I got a 12x12 box fan on slow setting. In one corner and 12" oscillating I. Another . With my lights currently .

I see more lights more fresh passive air intake needed keep it dialed in your golden . I'm learning. This myself . But led controlling over hps is a lot easier .
420-magazine-mobile223270181.jpg

Re: Sam's 1rst grow, Nirvana JH, NL and AK48 in Coco

I run a humidifier 24/7 in my tent have a vent running out my tent through ducting and out room . So I get a fresh cool breeze without my humidifier on Rh. Would be around 34% ish. Perfect for late flower . With my humidifier I can set it to half power or full power wait an hr or so then it hits around 62% right now can control it between 60-70% . Depending on where temps range is . Plus I got a 12x12 box fan on slow setting. In one corner and 12” oscillating I. Another . With my lights currently .

I see more lights more fresh passive air intake needed keep it dialed in your golden . I’m learning. This myself . But led controlling over hps is a lot easier .
420-magazine-mobile223270181.jpg

After I posted about the humidity I adjust the humidifier and tent vents and got it into to 65-70% range consistently. I know the jury is out on the effect so I am not sweating that at this point.

I am hearing you guys on the light issue. Van said the same thing. I just don't know a real good way to integrate more lights in that footprint with the 320 being 2ft x 2ft in the 4ft x 4 ft tent (that gives me a foot outboard of the light itself). Without running additional lights vertical in the corners I see that as a challenge. Seeing what I am seeing now I would not have bought one big light but several smaller ones. There is always next time.

I do need to keep this grow manageable. I last mucked with the plants on Saturday and they are already back with a vengance. It's like someone hit the turbo button on the growth. I am half tempted to flip them this weekend. It would be a week early at 5 weeks apposed to the 6 I was targeting. I am fine with the AK's and the NL but the Jock Horror may end up being a nightmare.

A few days ago.......
4th_week_of_veg.JPG

And now...
IMG_224327.JPG

These plants are going nuts. LOL You can really tell by the little guy in the front right that is behind the rest. Growing several inches per day.

Re: Sam's 1rst grow, Nirvana JH, NL and AK48 in Coco

After I posted about the humidity I adjust the humidifier and tent vents and got it into to 65-70% range consistently. I know the jury is out on the effect so I am not sweating that at this point.

I am hearing you guys on the light issue. Van said the same thing. I just don't know a real good way to integrate more lights in that footprint with the 320 being 2ft x 2ft in the 4ft x 4 ft tent (that gives me a foot outboard of the light itself). Without running additional lights vertical in the corners I see that as a challenge. Seeing what I am seeing now I would not have bought one big light but several smaller ones. There is always next time.

I do need to keep this grow manageable. I last mucked with the plants on Saturday and they are already back with a vengance. It's like someone hit the turbo button on the growth. I am half tempted to flip them this weekend. It would be a week early at 5 weeks apposed to the 6 I was targeting. I am fine with the AK's and the NL but the Jock Horror may end up being a nightmare.

Grow bars down low maybe?

Yeah I've been trying to figure out the effects of humidity myself. I'm noticing slower growth with temps 70-80F and RH 20-35%

it will slow you down a little compared to perfect environment.....but its not a show stopper. Do what you can to bring it up but dont worry about it. Like I have told many people, i ran a winter grow in New England with RH of 16-24% with temps of about 70 at night and 76-78 during the day and the grow was fine. It was a little slower than the same strain that was vegged the following summer, but the difference wasn't bad at all. Do what you can, if you can afford a humidifier do it....or hang wet towels and maybe throw a bowl of water and have a fan blowing over it. Lower humidity isn't the end of the world by any means.

A little too fast for comfort if they stretch a lot. I am hoping to keep them under 4ft. The jock horror are the ones i am worried about.

You can always super crop if she gets too tall

it will slow you down a little compared to perfect environment.....but its not a show stopper. Do what you can to bring it up but dont worry about it. Like I have told many people, i ran a winter grow in New England with RH of 16-24% with temps of about 70 at night and 76-78 during the day and the grow was fine. It was a little slower than the same strain that was vegged the following summer, but the difference wasn't bad at all. Do what you can, if you can afford a humidifier do it....or hang wet towels and maybe throw a bowl of water and have a fan blowing over it. Lower humidity isn't the end of the world by any means.
I've been using a mister 2-3 times a day and it's seems to be helping.

You can always super crop if she gets too tall

That's the plan. I have been slowly bending some of the branches when I defoliate them on the weekends. I still haven't got to the point where I feel the stem crush. I really don't want to screw up one of the mains on them but on the other hand I went into this grow thinking that I might loose half of them by them time it was all said and done so I accept anything I do as learning.

Back
Top Bottom